Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

John McCain

You have to understand that the US is a militarist culture.

The military is very present in everyday life in lots of ways.

The national anthem is about the battle for independence (cleverly disguised as being about the flag).

They have such a thing as military school over there (the perennial threat to make their wealthy-ish brats behave).

They like wars, so long as they're winning.

It all ties in with the whole gun culture thing.

To associate yourself with the military is to score brownie points.

Nice article about Sarah Palin's husband:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080830/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_todd_palin_profile

Some excerpts:

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - He's known as a doting, blue-collar husband who stands on the sidelines as his wife blazes a historic trail in politics.

But Todd Mitchell Palin can claim accomplishments beyond his marriage to Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, the surprise running mate of Republican presidential hopeful John McCain.

Todd Palin is a veteran oil-field worker(Not and oil executive, as disinformationists have put out there) and commercial fisherman affectionately dubbed Alaska's "first dude." He's a man who took college courses but does not have a degree, yet can hold his own in sophisticated circles, even hosting a reception for five former Alaska first ladies earlier this month.

A father of five, he's also a four-time winner of the world's longest snowmobile race, billed as the most grueling. It's a sport the 43-year-old lifelong Alaskan is so passionate about that he's continued to compete even after his wife took office in December 2006.

In this year's 2,000-mile Tesoro Iron Dog contest, Palin and racing partner Scott Davis were trying to defend their 2007 championship when Palin broke his arm in a crash. It was 400 miles from the finish line, but he refused to quit, coming in fourth, cheered on by the parka-clad governor waving a checkered flag.......

You have to understand that the US is a militarist culture.

The military is very present in everyday life in lots of ways.

The national anthem is about the battle for independence (cleverly disguised as being about the flag).

They have such a thing as military school over there (the perennial threat to make their wealthy-ish brats behave).

They like wars, so long as they're winning.

It all ties in with the whole gun culture thing.

To associate yourself with the military is to score brownie points.

At least we're not afraid to defend ourselves... I keep a gun handy for anyone who tries to invade my home.

We like wars? No...We don't like wars, but sometimes they are neccesary to guarantee our freedom. I'll give my life anyday, for my country's freedom.

1. I don't think it really matters who the vice president is ....

2. Truman was totally unprepared when he assumed the Presidency ...... Before being elected Senator he ran a haberdashery shop

3. On the other hand Obama has never run anything.

1. mm disagree

2. ahh Harry S Truman - good example - the man who pressed the button :eek: ( I realise of course that times have changed ) - but it would be nice to know what Sarah thought about the ultimate MAD scenario. - McCain is 72 and has had multiple bouts with cancer after all.

3. Obama has faced the people under intense scrutiny for 12 months

Tell you something else he has done - he voted against Iraq in the first place. Whereas McCain voted for it – and has admitted it was about oil ! (whether or not websman will admit it - and/or reply to my previous challenge which he keeps ignoring. )

John '100 years' Mccain admits Iraq War really about OIL!!!

McCain decided to toss in a plug for his upcoming energy policy rollout. But in the midst of decrying the dangers of Americans reliance on foreign oil, McCain seemed to suggest that this reliance caused the current struggle in Iraq. "My friends, I will have an energy policy that we will be talking about, which will eliminate our dependence on oil from the Middle East that will -- that will then prevent us -- that will prevent us from having ever to send our young men and women into conflict again in the Middle East," McCain said.

PS actually Philip Yeo is retiring as Mayor of Wingecarribee Council next month I notice - maybe he can get a job with GOP ? - and incidentally, Bowral is part of the Wingecarribee Shire Council , which is about 6 times (7 times?) as big as Wasilla.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wingecarribee
population 40,600
area 2700 sq km, 1040 sq miles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasilla,_Alaska
population 5,500 (subsequently claimed to be 6500 in press articles)
area (land) 11.7 sq m

PS I'm guessing Americans won't know how to pronounce Wingecarribee
Then again, that youtube back there suggests that many don't know how to pronounce Wasilla either
not Palin for that matter :eek:

Attachments

• philip yeo.jpg
    philip yeo.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 169
At least we're not afraid to defend ourselves... I keep a gun handy for anyone who tries to invade my home.

We like wars? No...We don't like wars, but sometimes they are neccesary to guarantee our freedom. I'll give my life anyday, for my country's freedom.
Where were you when they passed the PATRIOT Act Webs?

They're stripping your freedoms a bit at a time without you even noticing.

(But you're not alone mate, they're doing it to us in Oz and pommieland too)

Wasilla Council proud of the fact that their mayor ( of 18 months ago) has made it to the second top position in the world.

XXX correction she was mayor till 1999 - then took off some time to be a mum presumably - then 18 months as Alaskan governor.

Palin served two terms on the Wasilla, Alaska, city council from 1992 to 1996, and was elected mayor of Wasilla in 1996 and 1999. She left the mayors office in 2002 (two 3 year terms).

Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission
Governor Murkowski appointed Palin Ethics Commissioner of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission,[21] where she served from 2003 to 2004. She resigned in protest over what she called the "lack of ethics" of fellow Alaskan Republican leaders, who ignored her whistleblowing complaints of legal violations and conflicts of interest.[22][4] After she resigned, Palin exposed the state Republican Party's chairman, Randy Ruedrich, one of her fellow Oil & Gas commissioners, who was accused of doing work for the party on public time and supplying a lobbyist with a sensitive e-mail.[23] Palin filed formal complaints against both Ruedrich and former Alaska Attorney General Gregg Renkes, who both resigned. Ruedrich also paid a record $12,000 fine.[4]

All of this was in a previous post, but, 2020 doesn't bother to read them - which is funny because he continuously accuses us of not reading or viewing his. Typical do as I say, not as I do liberal

By the way, as some people say, she is in the hands of BIG BAD oil, Big Bad oil must be masochists, because she has been the worst critic of their corrupt practices in Alaska.

Sarah Palin is more qualified to run the country than Obama is. He has never run anything.

What do you call the years of work organizing organizations in South Chicago changing the unemployment scenarios? REAL work helping REAL people on the ground? Changing attitudes and lives to be functional? POTUS is a mere extension of this.

1. Palin served two terms on the Wasilla, Alaska, city council from 1992 to 1996, and was elected mayor of Wasilla in 1996 and 1999. She left the mayors office in 2002 (two 3 year terms).

2. ...All of this was in a previous post, but, 2020 doesn't bother to read them - which is funny because he continuously accuses us of not reading or viewing his. Typical do as I say, not as I do liberal

3. By the way, as some people say, she is in the hands of BIG BAD oil, Big Bad oil must be masochists, because she has been the worst critic of their corrupt practices in Alaska.
1. cripes ! - I apologise profusely lol. Heck ZZd that changes everything !! My entire argument is turned on its head !

2. Please use the years that ZZdad said (i.e. mayor till 2002 not 1999) - followed by 5 years presumably as a mum (not 7, 8 whatever) - instead of the dates I used - so misleading of me :rolleyes:

3. So is she or is she not in favour of drilling in the Arctic Reserve? what McCain previously said would be equivalent to drilling in the Grand Canyon.

PS Actually it seems I misread my own post ..
https://www.aussiestockforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=329445&highlight=palin#post329445

2020 from wiki said:
She was the youngest person, and the first woman, to be elected governor of Alaska. Before becoming governor, Palin served two terms on the Wasilla, Alaska, City Council from 1992 to 1996, was elected and re-elected mayor of Wasilla for two three-year terms in 1996 and 1999.

Thought for the day:-
Kurt Vonnegut :- When the last living thing has died on account of us, how poetical it would be if earth could say in a voice floating up, perhaps from the floor of the Grand Canyon, it is done, people did not like it here.

What do you call the years of work organizing organizations in South Chicago changing the unemployment scenarios? REAL work helping REAL people on the ground? Changing attitudes and lives to be functional? POTUS is a mere extension of this.

Organising organisations???:confused: Seems to me he has a future as a bureaucrat.

1. cripes ! - I apologise profusely lol. Heck ZZd that changes everything !! My entire argument is turned on its head !

2. Please use the years that ZZdad said (i.e. mayor till 2002 not 1999) - followed by 5 years presumably as a mum (not 7) - instead of the dates I used - so misleading of me :rolleyes:

Cripes, he did it again!!! Read on 2020

Governor Murkowski appointed Palin Ethics Commissioner of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission,[21] where she served from 2003 to 2004. She resigned in protest over what she called the "lack of ethics" of fellow Alaskan Republican leaders, who ignored her whistleblowing complaints of legal violations and conflicts of interest.

Cripes, he did it again!!! Read on 2020

Governor Murkowski appointed Palin Ethics Commissioner of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission,[21] where she served from 2003 to 2004. She resigned in protest over what she called the "lack of ethics" of fellow Alaskan Republican leaders, who ignored her whistleblowing complaints of legal violations and conflicts of interest.

ok lol
2 years less as a mum - makes that 5 years or whatever :rolleyes:

PS
ZZd - of course - and obviously - the most relevant experience is 18 months as Alaskan governor - and neither you (in your fastidiousness) nor I (in my pisstake) have made reference to ;)

PS Did I hear that Alaska has a population less than San Fran?

3. So is she or is she not in favour of drilling in the Arctic Reserve? what McCain previously said would be equivalent to drilling in the Grand Canyon.

She is in favor of it. McCain is simply wrong on this one. He is bowing to the radical environmentalists on this one.

They only want to drill on 20,000 acres of a South Carolina sized reserve. It is the northern section that is nothing but tundra.

Organising organisations???:confused: Seems to me he has a future as a bureaucrat.

Some research needed Calliope. Ignorance is not bliss when enunciated.

Obama enthused and led people / organizations (including churches as these had groups of relevant people already) to be proactive in improving the mass unemployment / subsequent youth crime scenario.

He did not go in as the CEO. He forged his leadership from the ground up by listening and acting.

Give credit where credit is due.

PS Did I hear that Alaska has a population less than San Fran?

Very true... but...

Careful 2020.

People in San Francisco do not like their city to be adulterated.
San Francisco. Not San Fran, or Frisco...

This is pedantic but you don't want to upset Americans. :rolleyes:

New Zogby poll just out:

ZOGBY:

McCain/Palin 47%
Obama/Biden 45%...

And this is BETWEEN the conventions. Obama is supposed to be at least 10 points up at this point. The Republicans have not even had theirs yet.

Exciting!!

Doris, you were saying that McCain has only met Palin twice.
Reminds me of my Indian (Hindi) friend who was married under an "arranged marriage" - met her twice as well - once 12 months before the wedding when they shook hands, and once 5 minutes before the wedding when they said " I do" . lol

Ahh you gotta laugh. :2twocents

2020 - I gotta ask. How did your Hindi mate's marriage go??

How can one say McCain is not a puppet to the GOP machine over THEIR CHOICE?

If he is not responsible for choosing his VP, who will be responsible for decisions if he get to be POTUS?

Her experience and connection to McCain is under scrutiny:

McCain first met Palin only six months ago and had just one conversation with the Alaska governor before offering her the vice presidential slot on the Republican ticket, the Arizona senator's campaign said Friday.

The move appears to be a marked departure for McCain, a man with a tendency to surround himself with a close circle of advisers and politicians with whom he has long felt comfortable.

McCain campaign manager Rick Davis had several conversations with Palin throughout the vetting process, but McCain himself didn't speak with the Alaska governor until Sunday, one day after Barack Obama named Delaware Sen. Joe Biden to his ticket. It was then McCain reached Palin by phone, while she was at the Alaska State Fair, to discuss the possibility of joining the ticket.

Palin traveled to Flagstaff, Arizona, on Wednesday evening, when she met with top McCain advisers Steve Schmidt and Mark Salter. On Thursday, Palin traveled to McCain's Sedona, Arizona, home, where the senator had another conversation with her and formally asked her to be his running mate.

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee revealed on his Web site Thursday that the McCain campaign had never asked him for the documents necessary for the vetting process. He praised Palin as a "pleasant surprise" because of her pro-life record and said she was a reminder to women "that if they are not welcome on the Democrat's ticket, they have a place with Republicans."
http://edition.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/08/30/campaign.wrap/

Some research needed Calliope. Ignorance is not bliss when enunciated.

Obama enthused and led people / organizations (including churches as these had groups of relevant people already) to be proactive in improving the mass unemployment / subsequent youth crime scenario.

He did not go in as the CEO. He forged his leadership from the ground up by listening and acting.

Give credit where credit is due.

No research needed. You have done it for me and it only reinforces my point.
So now I am an ignorant non-researcher:hide: Doris please leave the invective to 2020.