Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Is political correctness going too far?

There's a point that it comes to where guys go unhinged. I've seen it many times.
This will keep happening imo, there just isn't enough resources to deal with it.

One guy I knew went full bore. He almost ran another woman that I also knew off the road in a rage incident. When the guy realized he knew the woman he said it was "nothing personal". Police said he was after anyone that night.
Fast forward a few weeks and he is on the roof of his house taking pot shots at police. I think he might of killed someone as well, was a while back. Ended up putting one through himself.

The signs are there but not a lot that can be done. People around them need to notice.
Mental institutions are a thing of the past, they were closed down because, the perception was that people were being ill treated and locked up.
Well I guess some people, who have mental issue that make them extremely dangerous to society, maybe do need to be placed in care.
Then the people who have to deal with them, are put at risk, but they are subject scrutiny which makes their job nearly impossible.
Meanwhile the next issue comes up on the media, and the mob runs off down the hill with the pichforks, answering the next call to arms.
Just my opinion.

it is like the guy that was sacked from insiders. I never heard him but it sounds like he just would not parrot what was required.

Nope nothing like that at all, followed Henderson for a very long time while not agreeing with much of his opinion when it came to politics he was reasonable for a conservative often backing Gillard against many of Abbotts BS claims.

He was aging and it looks like David Speers wants a younger line up with modern views.

Mental institutions are a thing of the past, they were closed down because, the perception was that people were being ill treated and locked up.

Nope....again :) worked in a few as an apprentice far worse than depicted in any movie absolute horror houses that's why they were closed.

As a 16 / 17 year old only place I was more afraid was a women's prison.

Nope....again :) worked in a few as an apprentice far worse than depicted in any movie absolute horror houses that's why they were closed.

As a 16 / 17 year old only place I was more afraid was a women's prison.
Yes my wife worked in Heathcote mental facility, as part of her RN training in the 1970's, so she has actually had some first hand experience of locked wards.:xyxthumbs

Yes my wife worked in Heathcote mental facility, as part of her RN training in the 1970's, so she has actually had some first hand experience of locked wards.:xyxthumbs

Ah that really would be the pointy end :( what a wife :)

No justification, but there are always reasons, and unless we know what they are nothing will be learned.

In engineering and related fields such as aviation, when something goes badly wrong there's a massive effort put in to determining precisely how and why.

It's not sufficient to say that something collapsed, crashed or tripped offline. Not even close. What's needed is to understand the precise details of what failed, in what order, and why.

Such investigations can take years. Recovering all possible details from the site of the real incident. Checking over all the original designs, as built drawings, calculations and so on. Analysing every available photo. Building precision scale models and simulating the exact chain of events and ensuring that it adds up. And so on.

The reason is simple. Only by understanding the detail of how it went terribly wrong can we confidently take action to prevent a recurrence.

That process is ultimately why, in developed countries at least, things like bridge, dam or building collapses, large aircraft crashes and so on are extremely uncommon relative to the number of bridges, dams, buildings and planes in use. That's because every possible effort has been made to learn from past mistakes and not repeat them.

All that does not guarantee that nothing will go wrong ever again but it does greatly reduce the probability that any given bridge collapses or that any given flight ends in disaster. It saves an awful lot of lives compared to not taking that approach.

If we're going to fix this issue of abuse, be it physical, psychological, financial etc then first we need to properly understand what's happened and is happening, what's going wrong and so on. Only after investigating that do we have a basis for an informed response to fix the problem.:2twocents

Yes she got a wake up call, when an ex policeman kneed her in the crutch and she was bedridden for two weeks, made her a bit more focused on her audience.
Stuffed up my home life for a while though.:(
Funny how we were talking this subject yesterday, the fact nurses are exposed to patients with mental health issues, due to the fact facilities get closed.
This happened last Sunday.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02...ocked-unconcious-in-modbury-hospital/12006510
From the article:
A nurse was knocked unconscious, was turning purple, had no pulse and had to be revived by a doctor in an assault reported by the nurses' union at Adelaide's Modbury Hospital.
It said the woman was found on the floor of an elderly male patient's room last Sunday afternoon.

The union said she was revived after a doctor administered CPR and was then admitted to the emergency department before being released the next afternoon.
She said the patient who attacked the nurse had severe dementia and was later transferred to the Lyell McEwin Hospital.

However the union said Lyell McEwin staff were not immediately told about the assault or earlier incidents of assaults and abuse by the patient, which included spitting at staff

It is fair and good to be really concerned that the patient is really well looked after, but what does a nurse do dealing with this sort of person in a C class hospital, where you may have one RN and one helper on shift with 30 patients?

Funny how we were talking this subject yesterday, the fact nurses are exposed to patients with mental health issues, due to the fact facilities get closed.
This happened last Sunday.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02...ocked-unconcious-in-modbury-hospital/12006510
From the article:
A nurse was knocked unconscious, was turning purple, had no pulse and had to be revived by a doctor in an assault reported by the nurses' union at Adelaide's Modbury Hospital.
It said the woman was found on the floor of an elderly male patient's room last Sunday afternoon.

The union said she was revived after a doctor administered CPR and was then admitted to the emergency department before being released the next afternoon.
She said the patient who attacked the nurse had severe dementia and was later transferred to the Lyell McEwin Hospital.

However the union said Lyell McEwin staff were not immediately told about the assault or earlier incidents of assaults and abuse by the patient, which included spitting at staff

It is fair and good to be really concerned that the patient is really well looked after, but what does a nurse do dealing with this sort of person in a C class hospital, where you may have one RN and one helper on shift with 30 patients?
Dementia is a terrible thing. The can get really violent.

Dementia is a terrible thing. They can get really violent.
Yes, unfortunately only one side of the issue gets a lot of air play. It is usually the story about the patient who has been sedated, but everyone thinks of dementia people as small, frail old people, some are strapping athletic blokes who have lost their mental faculties.

No justification, but there are always reasons, and unless we know what they are nothing will be learned.

The fact that the guy killed himself in a gruesome way indicates that he was seriously deranged or had some remorse.

Anyway I guess it doesn't matter since he's now dead, but there are others out there like him who maybe can be stopped from doing something similar.
I see in one of the tabloids a headline saying there has been a spike in 'You're next' domestic violence incidents, since the terrible incident.
It just goes to show, that what those chastised people were saying is exactly right, we need to find out what is driving these people to adopt that attitude.
It is ridiculous that a separation should end up as many do, in violence.
Just my opinion.

And here I was thinking that this sort of sh#t would go away with the China Virus problems.

UN.JPG

'Changing the name won't stamp out the problem'
The boss of Colonial Brewing Co. says changing its name won't stamp out the problem.

Lawrence Dowd, the company's managing director, says an announcement on the name change will be made soon, but clarified it wasn't intended to offend. "I think actions speak louder," Mr Lawrence told Today.

"It hasn't been a part of our narrative to celebrate colonialism or imperialism, we have been very forward about that."

Mr Lawrence said the company is reviewing its name after a Melbourne bottle shop chose to take the range off its shelves.

He clarified that Colonial Brewing Co. originated in 2004 and its name came from the microbrewing company colonising in the famous Margaret River wine region.

"They were basically colonising a beer company in a very famous wine region," Mr Lawrence said.

"That's where the name came from. I don't think there was any malice in them starting the name."

The popular Western Australian beer brewing company received social media backlash recently, resulting in independent bottle shop Blackhearts and Sparrows dropping its products from shelves.

The company is based in the Bramley Brook Valley north-east of the Margaret River.

Blackhearts & Sparrows, which has stores in Victoria, the ACT and Tasmania, confirmed it will no longer stock Colonial's products amid the backlash and the Black Lives Matter movement, which has lead to rioting in the US and protests across the globe.

"While we appreciate that the people behind Colonial Brewing had no malicious intent in their choice of brand name, words have power," the store said in a statement.

"We've had discussions with Colonial in the past with concerns about their name, but with their branding remaining the same our decision was clear.

"Colonial is still a problematic word that speaks to a broader history of colonialism and colonisation that has caused irreversible harm to the First Nations people in Australia and Indigenous populations around the world."​

Nestle to change names of Allen's Lollies
products Red Skins and Chicos

Confectionary company Nestle has announced it plans to rename its Allen's Lollies-branded Red Skins and Chicos products due to overtones "out of step" with its values.

In a statement, the firm said the decision was made to ensure "nothing we do marginalises our friends, neighbours and colleagues".

Nestle added: "These names have overtones which are out of step with Nestle's values, which are rooted in respect."

The company said it had yet to finalise the products' new names, but that it would "move quickly" to do so.

Allen's Lollies also shared a statement confirming the news: "At Allen's we are about creating smiles … This decision acknowledges the need to keep creating smiles."​

Calls for COON Cheese to change name
The makers of Australia's COON cheese have been called out by social media users including comedian Josh Thomas over the meaning attached to its brand name amid the Black Lives Matter movement and an international push to remove monuments recognising colonial figures.

The term "coon" is a derogatory word used to describe black people.

The company said in a statement: "The Coon Cheese brand name recognises the work of Edward William Coon, who patented a unique ripening process that was used to manufacture the original Coon Cheese."​

Nice little blow up in the UK at the Burnley v Man City match.

Great troll that exposes the megalithic hypocrisy of the Postmodern elite and has sparked some honest conversation among the proles.