Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Inflation

well i notice a move to annoy the Saudi Royals , maybe that higher oil price is coming ( with or without a spring weather event )

Thought id put my thoughts before the RBA decision in 35 minutes:

RBA put rates on hold, RBA governor to come off as hawkish and in a round about way try to advise that the government should avoid excessive cost of living relief / stimulus in the May budget.

Market Response:
  1. Bounce in the AUD
  2. drop in the ASX200 :headphone:

if she says something dovish then happy days :D

More businesses closing each week, particularly food and craft breweries.

Popular Melbourne brewery announces closure​

A popular brewery is going into liquidation and shutting down forever after it couldn’t scrape its way out of a financial black hole.

Overnight, Victorian-based Deeds Brewing announced to its 23,000 followers that the venue had made the “difficult decision” to wind up the business after failing to find a buyer.

The “proudly independent” and award-winning Deeds Brewing operates a brewery, distillery and canning and bottling facilities and also its own kitchen and taproom in the southeast Melbourne suburb of Glen Iris. It has been a registered business since 2012.

“Over the last 12 years, we’ve poured our hearts into every brew, every interaction, and every moment shared with you,” the Deeds team wrote.

“Our hearts are broken.”

Its collapse will leave 50 staff members without jobs at the company.

“We’ll deeply miss our dedicated staff, who have become like family to us, and our incredible fans who’ve stood by us through thick and thin throughout the years,” Deeds added….

U.S jobless claims come in above estimates. Yields dump but futures stay red. We're just getting to that "supply side contraction vs demand side contraction" dance I've been mentioning for months.

More businesses closing each week, particularly food and craft breweries.
I was looking at the retail figures the other day, some industries are doing it tough. I remember working during the mid 90s and people would hold off on spending and then all of a sudden the spending came all at once, you'd have 3 months of work to complete in 1 month after sitting on your hands for months on end.

1715259485519.png

I was looking at the retail figures the other day, some industries are doing it tough. I remember working during the mid 90s and people would hold off on spending and then all of a sudden the spending came all at once, you'd have 3 months of work to complete in 1 month after sitting on your hands for months on end.

View attachment 176544

I remember that. Hopefully we’re not heading that way again, but it’s feeling like it.

I remember that. Hopefully we’re not heading that way again, but it’s feeling like it.
With 44 years of being a contractor in the rural sector, I have not known a year like this one.
Some of my work is insurance generated from the January storms and recently the Red Hill Fire.
But then a lot is just from recommendations.
People seem to have plenty of money to throw at their properties at present.

With 44 years of being a contractor in the rural sector, I have not known a year like this one.
Some of my work is insurance generated from the January storms and recently the Red Hill Fire.
But then a lot is just from recommendations.
People seem to have plenty of money to throw at their properties at present.
People of what age cohort? And throw in what way?

People of what age cohort? And throw in what way?
well in the nearby village , sheds ( steel ones ) seem to be popular whether they become general storage , or a weekender stepping stone to a real house by a 'tree-changer' , or actually become the 'retirement cottage' remains to be seen

according to the last Census the average age here is 64

but with a population of less than 300 such a trend is easily noticed

you have to catch the rain-water somehow 'cos there isn't any town water ( although a few have bores )

Where I work generally the age groups vary from the mid 20's to those that have been in the area for a long time.
Fencing, re-seeding paddocks and a myriad of other things that give me a bountiful income.
This year it seems to be "let's get this done".
I am more than happy to be part of their vision of their properties.

So what is the link with inflation?
Productivity:
In my own experience, in big corporate company as in PS:
We can easily find that half of the payroll is either BS job bringing no value whatsoever to the company, or spent on checking mobile phone, playing games or having breaks.
Great to do, not so for productivity and decrease of productivity is worsening inflation root causes

PPI up 0.5% month on month vs 0.3% estimated. Exact reaction(s) to everything you'd expect.