Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Inflation

The Macro Journalism out there is mostly an echo chamber of biased rhetoric largely politicized . I almost listen to no MSM for these reasons . The truth is in the data and i am highly data driven . I will rarely read any link in these types of forum especially those opinion based . I just Glaze over the Copy and Paste from the copy and paste journalism out there . Eyes wide open with limited biases is my way . I am more interested in the real life thoughts of posters not curated ones from crappy MSM sources , thanks for listening to my rant :cool: . Be dynamic

Now i do have sources of Macro media i do follow that are produced by leading critical thinkers , such a rare thing in todays world . Most journalism today is not much more than a google search with minimal if ANY fact checking

The " Hivemind " is no mind at all

Cheers , carry on

The Macro Journalism out there is mostly an echo chamber of biased rhetoric largely politicized . I almost listen to no MSM for these reasons . The truth is in the data and i am highly data driven . I will rarely read any link in these types of forum especially those opinion based . I just Glaze over the Copy and Paste from the copy and paste journalism out there . Eyes wide open with limited biases is my way . I am more interested in the real life thoughts of posters not curated ones from crappy MSM sources , thanks for listening to my rant :cool: . Be dynamic

Now i do have sources of Macro media i do follow that are produced by leading critical thinkers , such a rare thing in todays world . Most journalism today is not much more than a google search with minimal if ANY fact checking

The " Hivemind " is no mind at all

Cheers , carry on
Yes I like Macro business,they are definitively not on the she'll be right camp, and as such seen as negative and discarded by many.
A must read on ecinomics, no so much shares as shares are mostly a mugs market where the overall majority rules, not facts
.. the market is maybe always right but mostly dumb.
My own off subject over...
And yes Macro business has seen the end of inflation as not happening for a while.
Edited ..macro business..not macro media

Has Australia ever been ready for population growth?
well i probably wasn't sophisticated enough to judge wisely in the early '70s ( Vietnam War era ) but not really even when immigration was ( fairly ) strictly controlled

having worked at at least two locations that employed transient ( probably illegal ) workers , even the late '70s/early '80s seemed to have workers working illegally

MSM business news can be useful to see where the sheep are flocking

examples are when Russia entered Ukraine i bought into BIS ( am now up 100% )

after seeing the lock-down antics i bought into PFP ( instead of healthcare stocks or ANN )

sometimes the flock leaves something unloved ( but tasty enough for me )

MSM business news can be useful to see where the sheep are flocking

examples are when Russia entered Ukraine i bought into BIS ( am now up 100% )

after seeing the lock-down antics i bought into PFP ( instead of healthcare stocks or ANN )

sometimes the flock leaves something unloved ( but tasty enough for me )
BIS was on my iron ore buy list by mistake in late 22 . I did research it and it was interesting but didnt suit my IO plan being a steel co .

well i probably wasn't sophisticated enough to judge wisely in the early '70s ( Vietnam War era ) but not really even when immigration was ( fairly ) strictly controlled

having worked at at least two locations that employed transient ( probably illegal ) workers , even the late '70s/early '80s seemed to have workers working illegally

I remember the stories that my grandparents and my mother in-laws' parents told me.

My grandfather came over in the late 1950's, he had to prove that he had accommodation. He boarded in various places until he had saved enough money to purchase a property, then he sent for his wife and kids.

As for my wife's grandparents, they were part of the 10-pound poms that came over. Accommodation was scarce, so the governments of the day set up camps and hostels for immigrants, which they stayed n until housing was available.

Maybe our governments should start over again.

Migrant hostels of South Australia are hostels where thousands of migrants passed from the 1940s to the 1980s. In South Australia these included Elder Park, Gawler, Gepps Cross, Glenelg, Hendon, Mallala, Pennington/Finsbury, Peterborough, Rosewater, Salisbury, Semaphore, Smithfield, Willaston, Whyalla, Woodside and Woodville. The hostels were temporary homes to a wide range of migrants, from Displaced Persons and refugees, through to "Ten Pound Poms".

Migrant accommodation camps

Migrant workers hostels were run by the Department of Labour and National Service and, later, Commonwealth Hostels Limited.

Where were the centres?​

There were migrant accommodation camps all over Australia. Listed below are just a few of the camps in each state.

In Victoria, there were camps at:
  • Bonegilla
  • Benalla
  • Rushworth
  • Somers.
In New South Wales, there were camps at:
  • Greta
  • Kapooka.
In Queensland, there were camps at:
  • Stuart
  • Wacol.
In Western Australia, there were camps at:
  • Northam Holden
  • Graylands
  • Cunderdin.

I remember the stories that my grandparents and my mother in-laws' parents told me.

My grandfather came over in the late 1950's, he had to prove that he had accommodation. He boarded in various places until he had saved enough money to purchase a property, then he sent for his wife and kids.

As for my wife's grandparents, they were part of the 10-pound poms that came over. Accommodation was scarce, so the governments of the day set up camps and hostels for immigrants, which they stayed n until hosing was available.

Maybe our governments should start over again.

my great-uncle , was in an organization that helped migrants to settle in , in Queensland back then ( after a tour of duty in the occupation forces in Japan )

our governments have done better in the past ( and some charities as well )

BIS was on my iron ore buy list by mistake in late 22 . I did research it and it was interesting but didnt suit my IO plan being a steel co .
i already had several IO plays ( and unwisely or not , had crystallized some very nice profits in BSL )

no, i was after a steel producer that could cash in on a conflict ( without all the risks of say ASB )

Mideast stuff kicks off, oil soars, yield curve soars, market futures plummet, fed members say stuff like "no rush to cut", bear market now beginning.

Oil majors will be very interesting to watch as a soaring oil price is normally good but if the demand side is pummeled then on balance we'll see them drop.

Mideast stuff kicks off, oil soars, yield curve soars, market futures plummet, fed members say stuff like "no rush to cut", bear market now beginning.

also alluded to lifting rates , maybe.

T
he US bond market’s recovery from the year’s highest yield levels was cut short on Thursday by a Federal Reserve official’s mere mention of the possibility of an interest-rate increase.

New York Fed president John Williams – in response to a question about the central bank resuming rate increases – said “
it’s not my base case”. He also said, however, that “if the data are telling us that we would need higher interest rates to achieve our goals, then we would obviously want to do that”. Williams spoke at a conference in Washington.

Oil majors will be very interesting to watch as a soaring oil price is normally good but if the demand side is pummeled then on balance we'll see them drop.
good point.

Oil back into the red. All index futures red. Even yields are down.

Markets are worried.

WTI back to its pre-kickoff level. Oil majors are up a bit though.

This is indicative of an anticipation of global supplies not being too effected despite any potential cutoff of middle-east supply.

I'd hazard a guess there's excess U.S capacity that'll be able to be utilised should the need arise.

I'd hazard a guess there's excess U.S capacity that'll be able to be utilised should the need arise.
Not saying you're wrong, but that is very much at odds with conventional wisdom.

Conventional wisdom being everyone other than OPEC and its allies extract and sell as much oil as they can, leaving OPEC to regulate the market.

If you're right then that turns a lot of things on their head. :2twocents

Not saying you're wrong, but that is very much at odds with conventional wisdom.

Conventional wisdom being everyone other than OPEC and its allies extract and sell as much oil as they can, leaving OPEC to regulate the market.

If you're right then that turns a lot of things on their head. :2twocents
I'm just spitballing, but a drop in the oil price and an increase in the stock price of the U.S oil majors is hard to reconcile.

I can't think of any reason for the contradiction other than an increase in marketshare.

And as I type this, it's looking like the majors are heading into closing in the red anyway.

Itchy trigger fingers from traders buying at the open anticipating a rebound in the oil price now getting cold feet perhaps?

Early big tech earnings report that bolstered the market at the start of the week is now getting slaughtered as meta dumps >10% after reporting earnings.

Not looking like a good end to the week and I can't think of anything to bolster markets from here out either.