Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Inflation

Everyone is spending because it'll only be more expensive tomorrow. Seen a lot of appliance upgrades, refurbishments etc.
yep , that is what i was doing , but months back , durable goods of course

mind you i don't care if i have the latest/greatest just stuff i need that works ( without a 3 month tuition course )

yep , that is what i was doing , but months back , durable goods of course

mind you i don't care if i have the latest/greatest just stuff i need that works ( without a 3 month tuition course )
And instructions on a minute piece of paper written ina foreign language.

U.S jobless numbers come in at 200 vs 220 estimated. Retail sales up 0.3 vs estimated -0.1. ECB also holds.

Notice how economy itself isn't getting upgraded, it's just being replaced with premium seats?

This tells you that it's an income (and therefore spending) distribution driven phenomenon, not an overall across the board increase in the demand.

There have been a number of posts both on ASF and elsewhere over recent times highlighting how Immigration is contributing to inflation.
I would have certainly agreed with those sentiments until I started looking at the ABS stats on immigration.
Below is a chart of the numbers entering the country versus those leaving.
1702944676262.png

Generally, the two data sets largely follow each other, with the arrivals spikes generally lagging the departure spikes.
The last few months have continued that trend, however the spikes in inward migration were bigger than outward migration
We need to see a few more months of data to see if it is indeed a new trend.
Perhaps the immigration is causing inflation/housing bubble/labour oversupply etc needs a little further data analysis.
mick

There have been a number of posts both on ASF and elsewhere over recent times highlighting how Immigration is contributing to inflation.
I would have certainly agreed with those sentiments until I started looking at the ABS stats on immigration.
Below is a chart of the numbers entering the country versus those leaving.
View attachment 167465

Generally, the two data sets largely follow each other, with the arrivals spikes generally lagging the departure spikes.
The last few months have continued that trend, however the spikes in inward migration were bigger than outward migration
We need to see a few more months of data to see if it is indeed a new trend.
Perhaps the immigration is causing inflation/housing bubble/labour oversupply etc needs a little further data analysis.
mick
What's the metrics they based this off?
Is our population increasing significantly on top of the birth rate?