Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Inflation

Yo Farmer, do you recall what was the demographic of these people?
one of my rellos says that she along with a few other senior cits, go to the shopping malls as an outing.
In hot weather, the air conditioning is cheap, In cold weather the heating is cheap.
They have to neither heat nor cool their own place, plus they can meet other like minded old farts.
Mick
Mick, a bit of everything, Coloured, White, Turbans etc

The daughter who is a low income worker, is still giving the two grandsons lunch money, instead of making them sandwiches.
I don't interfere, just observe. ;)
Hmm therein lies, I would think, a problem.

Even when I was working in Perth eons ago always took a meal from home.
a) it was always better quality
b) and a damn sight cheaper.
plus I mostly worked night shift

one of my rellos says that she along with a few other senior cits, go to the shopping malls as an outing.
In hot weather, the air conditioning is cheap, In cold weather the heating is cheap.
They have to neither heat nor cool their own place, plus they can meet other like minded old farts.
Mick
that has been a trend for decades however is that an increasing trend or a declining trend ??

besides when you are my age and so-so health what else is there to do ( have you seen daytime TV ?? )

sure i sit around most of the day watching the stock-market ( but others have no stock portfolio , or wood-stove )

that has been a trend for decades however is that an increasing trend or a declining trend ??

besides when you are my age and so-so health what else is there to do ( have you seen daytime TV ?? )

sure i sit around most of the day watching the stock-market ( but others have no stock portfolio , or wood-stove )
Mr divs i am in my 70s still working and enjoying being alive.
Day tme TVv is a no go in this household. Evening TV not much better.
We both have an IQ higher than a door knob.
Stock market gazing via phone and the wood fire a definite especially the last few days or arctic weather we experienced.

Hmm therein lies, I would think, a problem.

Even when I was working in Perth eons ago always took a meal from home.
a) it was always better quality
b) and a damn sight cheaper.
plus I mostly worked night shift
actually had a long discussion with a former policeman about that , he strongly argued ALL police should bring the lunch from home and help resist corruption

actually had a long discussion with a former policeman about that , he strongly argued ALL police should bring the lunch from home and help resist corruption
When I think about it when on the odd occassion we traverse down the Hill for a sustenence uptake usually see a few cops coming into the takeaway joints for a pick-up lunch.
Not sure if it is a free-bee though.

When I think about it when on the odd occassion we traverse down the Hill for a sustenence uptake usually see a few cops coming into the takeaway joints for a pick-up lunch.
Talking sustenence tis lunch time.

Mr divs i am in my 70s still working and enjoying being alive.
Day tme TVv is a no go in this household. Evening TV not much better.
We both have an IQ higher than a door knob.
Stock market gazing via phone and the wood fire a definite especially the last few days or arctic weather we experienced.
am not 70 yet ( but i can see it from here )

i resist watching TV , seen it , been on it , nothing more to know about it

weather not that bad here ( high on the Great Divide ) but the wind can get a bit lazy , use a laptop rather than a phone

fiercely ( almost obsessively ) honest

have come across a few like that unfortunately nearly all are FORMER police ( in QLD )

and most served after the Fitzgerald Inquiry , so things didn't change a lot ( political expediency still rules )

late-night food places kind of liked non-official visits to keep the crime lower in their shop , did it inspire extra corruption , maybe in some places

Yep the Government has its foot to the floor on the accelerator, while asking the RBA why it can't slow down the car, clown world for sure. ?

Maybe the government should concentrate on the housing crisis, that is going to cause some really serious social issues very soon IMO. This is becoming a very serious issue and I don't think the Canberra bubble is aware of how it could blow up in their faces, time will tell.
The real problem is people are beginning to expect the Govt to fix it for them, when in reality they are making it worse for them, the longer the Govt takes to NO, the bigger the backlash will be. ;)
Maybe the next srep is rent caps

fiercely ( almost obsessively ) honest

have come across a few like that unfortunately nearly all are FORMER police ( in QLD )

and most served after the Fitzgerald Inquiry , so things didn't change a lot ( political expediency still rules )

late-night food places kind of liked non-official visits to keep the crime lower in their shop , did it inspire extra corruption , maybe in some places
Mr divs though we have seen many of the law enforces in takeways I don't doubt that they don't pay.
On the odd occssion that i have visited our favourite Chinese nosh shop at night I have been in there when a policeman is collecting more than one meal and a c/card is produced.
Not offered as a freebee and certainly not asking for one.
I think you are correct saying visual visits to these places at night helps to keep th scum at bay, especially in this area.

Maybe the next srep is rent caps
Can't see rent caps being in vogue. Landlords will just up and sell and what then. Free enterprise up and out the window.
Our "spare' house, 5 bdrm, stays empty through choice.
Last tenant, though always paid on time was lazy as, never kept it tidy and fire-proof around the area.
Had too many bad experiencs over the years.

Can't see rent caps being in vogue. Landlords will just up and sell and what then. Free enterprise up and out the window.
Our "spare' house, 5 bdrm, stays empty through choice.
Last tenant, though always paid on time was lazy as, never kept it tidy and fire-proof around the area.
Had too many bad experiencs over the years.
the ALP relies on low-income votes , on the flip-side several ALP parliamentarians ( openly ) declare owning investment houses

if the vote looks tight , worry about rent-caps ( hopefully unnecessarily )

Mr divs though we have seen many of the law enforces in takeways I don't doubt that they don't pay.
On the odd occssion that i have visited our favourite Chinese nosh shop at night I have been in there when a policeman is collecting more than one meal and a c/card is produced.
Not offered as a freebee and certainly not asking for one.
I think you are correct saying visual visits to these places at night helps to keep th scum at bay, especially in this area.
some businesses are shady , and some police are shady , sometimes the shady parties form a relationship ( but whistle-blowers in the force will soon feel a cold chill )

Yep the Government has its foot to the floor on the accelerator, while asking the RBA why it can't slow down the car, clown world for sure. ?

Maybe the government should concentrate on the housing crisis, that is going to cause some really serious social issues very soon IMO. This is becoming a very serious issue and I don't think the Canberra bubble is aware of how it could blow up in their faces, time will tell.
The real problem is people are beginning to expect the Govt to fix it for them, when in reality they are making it worse for them, the longer the Govt takes to NO, the bigger the backlash will be. ;)
It shouldn't be happening. Inflation should mean less money left over for rent, not more.

It's almost as if there's something else driving it.

Mick
In the USA there is groups of older people that do “Mall walking” for their daily exercise. It can be safer for them than walking the streets of LA, and they can catch up for a coffee after their exercise hahaha.

Only problem there is the new eneration generally don't know the value of a dollar.
Oh so very easy to buy with plastic just figures on the receipt and means very little.
If forking out of the wallet and there isn't enough of the folding in it hmm can't buy it.
I don’t know about that, I think a lot of the younger generation is pretty savvy, they are the generation making ends meet through side hustles, and trading up jobs etc. the hustle culture is real in them, I think they do know the value of the dollar, at least as much as the previous generations.

Of course there is spend thrifts in all generations.