12 Interest rate hikes in 12 months is only Inflating Wages
Lucky are those who can send their wives out to do some of the Heavy Lifting

In the end "Inflation Will Cure Inflation!"
It always Does!

The Question is How Many Suicide?
How Many get Divorced?
How Many turn to Drink and Drugs
How many go Mad
I can even remember conversations about how nice it would be to go to JAIL and get 3 good meals a day and wait for the Storm to pass over

Crikey! I remember Interest rates and rents at 13.5% - 17% in the late 80's
That is what I call REAL INFLATION

This is Nothing! as YET!
All they can do is let it run like the Strawberries
Salute and Gods' Speed
XYZ Yacht.GIF

Last edited:
What's unemployment at now?
If it remains below 4.5% they will keep jacking the interest rate up.
officially or actually ??

they have been juicing the numbers since 1989 ( to suit political perspectives )

the job-ad surveys are probably a better indications ., although suffering to flaws of all surveys

View attachment 157881

So has it bottomed. Hmmm.
according to ACER around 40% of EU households are connected to gas, for both heating and cooking.
The same site says that gas is about 1/3 the cost of of electricity.
They are coming in to the peak of summer.
Much less need for gas for heating.
Not surprising then that there is reduced demand.
Be interesting to see what the figures are come the beginning of next winter.
Mick

As I have said for Years
"Only Inflation Cures Inflation"

I don't buy Strawberries anymore
They have priced themselves out of the market at $13.50 a small Punnet IMO

It always Does!

How Many get Divorced?
How many go Mad
I can even remember conversations about how nice it would be to go to JAIL and get 3 good meals a day and wait for the Storm to pass over

This is Nothing! as YET!
Salute and Gods' Speed
View attachment 157880
yes the '80s was a good time to grow and pick your our strawberries

gets a bit cold in the new digs maybe i will give it try in the greenhouse , first

As I have said for Years
"Only Inflation Cures Inflation"

I don't buy Strawberries anymore
They have priced themselves out of the market at $13.50 a small Punnet IMO

It always Does!

How Many get Divorced?
How many go Mad

This is Nothing! as YET!
Salute and Gods' Speed
View attachment 157880
natural selection

I am going to go out on a limb here and say we are at the peak of interest rate rises.
Barring some out of left field occurrence, RBA will most likely hold next month, which gives two months for things to get worse in terms of employment, retail sales , bank foreclosures etc.
By the end of the year, people will have severely contracted spending and we will have a technical recession, if not a nominal one.
But I could be wrong and that limb is merely a twig, and i am i40 foot off the ground.
Mick

Another look at history, oh I forgot this time it is different. :whistling:
Well it is really, this time there are a lot of pay rises and a massive sudden surge in immigration, so it will be interesting to see where it settles IMO.

View attachment 157890
different this time , so it appears ..... but will it be different in a good way ( am not so optimistic on that )

I am going to go out on a limb here and say we are at the peak of interest rate rises.
Barring some out of left field occurrence, RBA will most likely hold next month, which gives two months for things to get worse in terms of employment, retail sales , bank foreclosures etc.
By the end of the year, people will have severely contracted spending and we will have a technical recession, if not a nominal one.
But I could be wrong and that limb is merely a twig, and i am i40 foot off the ground.
Mick
Best of luck Phil, I mean Mick. ?

From the article:
New bargaining laws come into effect today and will allow workers and unions to band together for a pay rise.
The unions in New South Wales, Victoria the ACT are backing a 25 per cent pay increase on behalf of workers at different childcare centres and have lodged an application with the Fair Work Commission to start multi-employer bargaining.
Employment minister Tony Burke said the reforms were aimed at driving up wages in traditionally low paid industries and hoped they could help to close the gender pay gap.
"We want to get wages moving, particularly in those feminised sectors because what it means is that people who are struggling with their bills can get a chance to get ahead of the award," he said.
"It means an industry that has had trouble finding workers or trouble retaining workers can be more competitive."
"Educators can't wait any longer. That's why we're here today, at the Fair Work Commission, to apply to commence bargaining with employers from across the sector on the very first day it's legally possible," United Workers Union Early Education Director Helen Gibbons.
"Educators welcomed the Federal Government's Secure Jobs Better Pay bill last year, and it's only right that educators are the first group of workers to use this new system.

Best of luck Phil, I mean Mick. ?

From the article:
New bargaining laws come into effect today and will allow workers and unions to band together for a pay rise.
The unions in New South Wales, Victoria the ACT are backing a 25 per cent pay increase on behalf of workers at different childcare centres and have lodged an application with the Fair Work Commission to start multi-employer bargaining.
Employment minister Tony Burke said the reforms were aimed at driving up wages in traditionally low paid industries and hoped they could help to close the gender pay gap.
"We want to get wages moving, particularly in those feminised sectors because what it means is that people who are struggling with their bills can get a chance to get ahead of the award," he said.
"It means an industry that has had trouble finding workers or trouble retaining workers can be more competitive."
The question is, how much of the wage rises in all sectors are going to be swallowed up by Mortgage repayments, rather than into consumption.
The input costs for childcare centres will go up, hence their charges will go up, which will not help inflation.
But it might make a few women become marginal as to whether they work or not.
The critical part is that people need to contract their discretional spending - the the restaurant dining, takeaways, the entertainment, the holidays, the new shoes, clothes, replacement smartphone, etc etc.
Once demand falls, the sellers have to reduce or at best hold their prices, or go out of business.
A good percentage of the general population needs to believe there is a recession coming, and that they need to contract to survive it.
Telling people there are more rate rises coming is one way of doing it.
Mick

Last edited:
The question is, how of the wage rises in all sectors are going to be swallowed up by Mortgage repayments, rather than into consumption.
The input costs for childcare centres will go up, hence their charges will go up, which will not help inflation.
The critical part is that people need to contract their discretional spending - the the restaurant dining, takeaways, the entertainment, the holidays, the new shoes, clothes, replacement smartphone, etc etc.
Once demand falls, the sellers have to reduce or at best hold their prices, or go out of business.
A good percentage of the general population needs to believe there is a recession coming, and that they need to contract to survive it.
Mick
Morning Mick Sad but very true

The question is, how of the wage rises in all sectors are going to be swallowed up by Mortgage repayments, rather than into consumption.
Mick
From memory the Govt has put aside extra money in the budget for child care, so if that is so, it will be just another stimulus package.?
Get on the programme Mick, this ain't going anywhere but up, poor old Phil will be public enemy number one, very soon, the fall guy. ?
I'm just wondering why you think the interest rates have peaked? Not being funny, but I just can't see a peak yet.

The average Australian family will get a savings boost in the federal budget, with the government taking on up to 90 per cent of childcare costs for families earning less than $530,000 a year.

The average Aussie family could save around $119 every fortnight on childcare costs, taking the pressure off already-tight household budgets.

From July 10, the government will start taking more of the brunt and Aussie families could save thousands of dollars each year.

For example, a couple working full time and earning $65,000 a year each, with a one-year-old child in child care seven days per fortnight, would be paying around $287 per fortnight currently, with the government paying $553.

After July 10, that same family would be paying around $168 per fortnight, with the government chipping in $672. That amounts to a $119 saving per fortnight.

Last edited:
From memory the Govt has put aside extra money in the budget for child care, so if that is so, it will be just another stimulus package.?

Some years ago my brother and his wife were part owners of 6 child care centres in the Southern Burbs of Perth.
Back then about $100 a day with the Govt kicking in somewhere in the region of 60% daily total.
That made the original cash cow a golden pig.
Every 6 weeks an extremely healthy payment made to the account.
Bad payers and non payers were refused entry after the initial 6 weeks.
Retired as a very wealthy underworked couple.

Some years ago my brother and his wife were part owners of 6 child care centres in the Southern Burbs of Perth.
Back then about $100 a day with the Govt kicking in somewhere in the region of 60% daily total.
That made the original cash cow a golden pig.
Every 6 weeks an extremely healthy payment made to the account.
Bad payers and non payers were refused entry after the initial 6 weeks.
Retired as a very wealthy underworked couple.
Yes someone who I know vaguely, a friend of a friend, owns 5 and is living up North ATM in their winter retreat, away from their summer waterside mansion. ;)