Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Inflation

Historically, markets bottom once the Fed is done cutting. So are we staring down the final down leg?
Also what happened to all he talk about a soft landing? Is that even possible with a bank failure?
Well there's the question of recession vs inflation and we all know what the general public (and establishment) would prefer.

Futures soared in response to the silicon valley bank rescue package and have been melting all day, NDX was +1.3 and is now down to +0.7 and dropping along with all of europe remaining deep into the red with no climbout in sight.

Edit: NDX down to +0.5 and still going. Not giving me confidence at all.

Last edited:
4325632473473.jpg

Dax is still 2.2 into the red despite this. The recession narrative has well & truly taken hold.

Edit: Now -3.0 and still going. Lol.

Edit 2: Now -3.2. German 2 year now set for "largest drop on record".

I'm actually wondering if this might be good news for my degen gas play as if things go to shite they'll be absolutely desperate to keep the factories open/running.

With that being said, it's the same story everywhere - rates are off the boil but markets are plummeting anyway and it's the recession fears that are driving both.

Markets clearly assuming the central banks will let inflation run hot rather than deeper recession.

Last edited:
Well there's the question of recession vs inflation and we all know what the general public (and establishment) would prefer.

Futures soared in response to the silicon valley bank rescue package and have been melting all day, NDX was +1.3 and is now down to +0.7 and dropping along with all of europe remaining deep into the red with no climbout in sight.

Edit: NDX down to +0.5 and still going. Not giving me confidence at all.
Now down to +0.1 and everything else is red. USD is now pulling HARD. Oh my.

View attachment 154297

Dax is still 2.2 into the red despite this. The recession narrative has well & truly taken hold.

Edit: Now -3.0 and still going. Lol.

Edit 2: Now -3.2. German 2 year now set for "largest drop on record".

I'm actually wondering if this might be good news for my degen gas play as if things go to shite they'll be absolutely desperate to keep the factories open/running.

With that being said, it's the same story everywhere - rates are off the boil but markets are plummeting anyway and it's the recession fears that are driving both.

Markets clearly assuming the central banks will let inflation run hot rather than deeper recession.

Up until now the only thing the Fed has been reacting to has been economic data.

If the Fed wasn't swayed by the UK bond crisis, then should they really be swayed by SVB going bankrupt?

I mean, there's a chance here they St Jerome has really seen the light and is willing to let zombies die.

Up until now the only thing the Fed has been reacting to has been economic data.

If the Fed wasn't swayed by the UK bond crisis, then should they really be swayed by SVB going bankrupt?

I mean, there's a chance here they St Jerome has really seen the light and is willing to let zombies die.
Unlikely. Too much carryon about "repeat of 2008". They'd probably nationalise them before they let them go under and that's in the united states, a country that considers nationalisation to be anathema.

I've really got to wonder if moral hazard is now going to become a problem. If they rescue SVB (and they have) are the rest of them now going to throw caution to the wind?

Unlikely. Too much carryon about "repeat of 2008". They'd probably nationalise them before they let them go under and that's in the united states, a country that considers nationalisation to be anathema.

I've really got to wonder if moral hazard is now going to become a problem. If they rescue SVB (and they have) are the rest of them now going to throw caution to the wind?

They've rescued the depositors, not the bondholders or shareholders.

The remaining debtors are now probably going to have to deal with a more restrictive lender or turn to the remaining, likely conservative, banks.

Very true, you let inflation run, the economy/ country collapses and like a phoenix the gov of the day creates a "new" currency to restart a cycle. ALWAYS since Babylon and Roman time.you just do not want to live thru these reset time..but this is not your..our choice is it?
In the meantime most lose it all.
that is the usual plan

but will it be different this time