Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Inflation

actually i avoided the USD ( as cash ) although several stocks i hold have exposure

i see the US declining into a train-wreck economy

i would rather be buying stuff like beef jerky and rice , what i do though is keep a very low debt exposure ( as assets or liabilities )
If the US does decline into a train Wreck economy, the USD will still likely go up, or at least stay at its current elevated levels.
Look at history, not economic models.
Mick

If the US does decline into a train Wreck economy, the USD will still likely go up, or at least stay at its current elevated levels.
Look at history, not economic models.
Mick
the US is heading to a digital currency

who would want to use a weaponized digital currency ,i am guessing less than 50% of the world , and that reminder group has most of the growth potential

maybe the US will pull out a wildcard and elect either Ron or Rand Paul as President , but i am betting they will rig it for a uni-party candidate ( just like they cheated Bernie Sanders and Ron Paul in earlier pre-selections )

Inflation? Could be a lot worse, like living in NYC.
From Zero Hedge
According to appraiser Miller Samuel and brokerage Douglas Elliman Real Estate, effective median rents rose from a year earlier for the 18th straight month in Manhattan as landlords grew less willing to grant concessions and renters desperate to find a home amid dwindling inventory engaged in bidding wars. The median rent rose 10.7% year-over-year to $4,095 in February from $3,700 the same month a year earlier, and down just $2 - yes, two dollars - from January, Bloomberg reported. The median rent peaked at $4,150 in July and has held close to that level ever since, breaking with the market’s traditional pattern for the cooler months, when costs typically drop as competition for apartments eases.
mick

Two year treasuries now off the boil and down to ~4.8% (from 5) but the reason isn't because markets think inflation is tamed, oh no, it's because the R word keeps getting thrown around.

Svb went down. Be interesting to see if the Fed backs off rate rises for a bit.

Probably going to pause soon. BoE, Aus and Canada CBers hoping to do the same.

Lets see what happens to SVB. Probably going to get sold on a Sunday for a massive discount ala Lehman Brothers. And here I thought Credit Suisse was going to fall.

Probably going to pause soon. BoE, Aus and Canada CBers hoping to do the same.
There's a fair chance.

Whipsawing of bond rates saw a drop of 50 basis points in 2 days, for the 2years.

The trouble with SVB is that no buyers are lined up. And really, would VC and start-up outfits be desired by the acquired?

Svb went down. Be interesting to see if the Fed backs off rate rises for a bit.
5zx0ss8m2xma1.png

Remember, the stock market is not the economy.

A dude over in WSB described it perfectly:

I love how Wall Street was waiting for job reports. Yet, you’re f***ed either way. Job report comes out stronger than last month then Powell raises interest rates to fight inflation with more pressure. Jobs come out weak then we are heading toward the recession Powell has aimed us for. Which one could possibly be better? Markets probably nosedive either way.

View attachment 154208

Remember, the stock market is not the economy.

A dude over in WSB described it perfectly:

I love how Wall Street was waiting for job reports. Yet, you’re f***ed either way. Job report comes out stronger than last month then Powell raises interest rates to fight inflation with more pressure. Jobs come out weak then we are heading toward the recession Powell has aimed us for. Which one could possibly be better? Markets probably nosedive either way.
I tend to agree. It's the depth of the pain that's the real question. I'm just seeing it start to noticeably hit these last two weeks on the street.