Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Gold Price - Where is it heading?

From a technical standpoint GLD is now at an important level. On the weekly chart below it can be seen that GLD has now reached the 50% time&price fib (blue line) and is just under a price resistance zone. It still has work to do before confirming a continuation of a long term up trend, so far it only qualifies as a good bounce in a down trend.
1697516624638.png

If I add the forty week MA to the chart you can see that GLD is still trading below the 50 day MA which is generally considered the line in the sand for market trend.
1697517256613.png

From a technical standpoint GLD is now at an important level. On the weekly chart below it can be seen that GLD has now reached the 50% time&price fib (blue line) and is just under a price resistance zone. It still has work to do before confirming a continuation of a long term up trend, so far it only qualifies as a good bounce in a down trend.
View attachment 164172

If I add the forty week MA to the chart you can see that GLD is still trading below the 50 day MA which is generally considered the line in the sand for market trend.
View attachment 164174

I apologize for the typo in my last post, I should have checked it. The red MA added to the second chart, the forty week MA is in fact the 200 day MA not the 50 day MA .

The price of gold in AUD terms has gone from2850 on October 5th to 3119 today, damn near a 10% increase.
For some Oz playeys who had AISC levels well above the 2K mark, this represents a 30% increase in the profit margin .
So why is it that most oz goldies have only increased by 10to 15%?
Is the market slow, expecting a pull back, or just run out of patience with gold producers?
Food for thought.
Mick

The price of gold in AUD terms has gone from2850 on October 5th to 3119 today, damn near a 10% increase.
For some Oz playeys who had AISC levels well above the 2K mark, this represents a 30% increase in the profit margin .
So why is it that most oz goldies have only increased by 10to 15%?
Is the market slow, expecting a pull back, or just run out of patience with gold producers?
Food for thought.
Mick

Maybe the lift in gold is expected to be just short and swift, a sugar hit from Hamas. Up $160 from the start. Russia's invasion put on $280. So, if Israel do go for a full on invasion and/or it leaks into Lebanon or Syria or Iran start sending larger rockets Israel's way that actually work POG might still have some legs. But, ceasefire and the POG party might be over. Can't see any other reason for this jump and it's sustainment other than a perceived safe haven.

Screenshot 2023-10-20 at 8.48.31 am.png

Most ASX Gold stocks got a bit of catching up to do imo based on AUD Gold price surge

Yes, GDX trailing behind too. Stock market is saying this might be a blip, but if USD POG continues on to break 2100 then FOMO could kick in. Maybe then stocks will respond. Again, is this just a short term Hamas hit that will peeter off once the dust settles? Iranian rockets fired by the Houthi's from Yemen towards Israel yesterday is a sign this could go pear shaped quickly too. I've got some faith that this will de-escalate due to the consequences, but who knows. I'm leaning towards this to be like gold's response to the Russian invasion at the moment. At the same time, pretty happy gold's going up. So, a bit vexed.

Yes, GDX trailing behind too. Stock market is saying this might be a blip, but if USD POG continues on to break 2100 then FOMO could kick in. Maybe then stocks will respond. Again, is this just a short term Hamas hit that will peeter off once the dust settles? Iranian rockets fired by the Houthi's from Yemen towards Israel yesterday is a sign this could go pear shaped quickly too. I've got some faith that this will de-escalate due to the consequences, but who knows. I'm leaning towards this to be like gold's response to the Russian invasion at the moment. At the same time, pretty happy gold's going up. So, a bit vexed.
So should we sell the paper gold now, maybe switch to gold producer ettf now and buy back later.gold bug long term.

Yes John Howell is right when saying that the market needs to have a pullback and I'm going to have a go at guessing where the pullback may start. To be clear, I fully subscribe to the idea of reading what the market is doing, just done, and making my plan of action on that, BUT, I like to try and look a little deeper and guess a possible outcome. This first chart shows GLD still moving up strongly straight through the first resistance zone and peaking just under the light-blue fib line. It would be very bullish to close above this light-blue fib line.
1697887589622.png
The next resistance zone comes from the Sep 2011 top;
1697888091438.png
As you can see below the market closed inside this zone on Friday and under a couple of fib lines so this could be the turning point.
1697888174351.png
But I think that the market is so strong that it could travel up to the resistance zone from the Aug 2020 top before making a pullback, if it does this GLD would be signaling a very powerful move to come. Lets see what happens.
1697888501413.png

Yes John Howell is right when saying that the market needs to have a pullback and I'm going to have a go at guessing where the pullback may start. To be clear, I fully subscribe to the idea of reading what the market is doing, just done, and making my plan of action on that, BUT, I like to try and look a little deeper and guess a possible outcome. This first chart shows GLD still moving up strongly straight through the first resistance zone and peaking just under the light-blue fib line. It would be very bullish to close above this light-blue fib line.
View attachment 164398
The next resistance zone comes from the Sep 2011 top;
View attachment 164400
As you can see below the market closed inside this zone on Friday and under a couple of fib lines so this could be the turning point.
View attachment 164401
But I think that the market is so strong that it could travel up to the resistance zone from the Aug 2020 top before making a pullback, if it does this GLD would be signaling a very powerful move to come. Lets see what happens.
View attachment 164402

Heading towards a quintuple top perhaps.