• Already own one

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Yes - would definitely buy

Votes: 43 22.1%
  • Yes - preferred over petrol car if price/power/convenience similar

Votes: 78 40.0%
  • Maybe - preference for neither, only concerned with costs etc

Votes: 36 18.5%
  • No - prefer petrol car even if electric car has same price, power and convenience

Votes: 24 12.3%
  • No - would never buy one

Votes: 14 7.2%

• Total voters
What would the point of that be? we have no local car industry to protect, so it would just literally be a tax on vehicles and the consumer.

Your head is really cabbaged up mate.
governments ( especially ALP ones ) are hungry for cash , since the EU and US have started the gravy-train ...

and remember first we had vehicle registration , then a fuel tax .. now there are EVs it will be pay-per-kilometre sooner rather than later

they see a cow and are obsessed to milk it

Yesterday and this morning I drove past two different vehcile manufacturers holding yards, both were full of new SUVs and Utes. That's strange considering the past few years of vehicle shortages that we went through.

Are consumers holding off on new vehicle purchases, unless absolutely necessary?

Automakers aren’t selling as many cars as they used to, and the EV transition is a lot rockier and slower than some expected.

Europe has slapped a 45% tariff on Chinese EV's,
From Bloombergs
EU member states have voted to slap tariffs of up to 45% on Chinese-made electric vehicles, ignoring warnings from some members that this dangerous move risks sparking an "economic cold war" with Beijing.

The European Commission, the bloc's executive arm, recently concluded its anti-subsidy investigation into Chinese imports of battery electric vehicles. The findings supported the Commission's move to implement the duties, which would last for five years.

Sources familiar with the voting told Bloomberg that ten member states voted in favor of the duties, while Germany and four others voted against - and 12, including Spain, abstained.

1728080984377.png
Its something Oz should have done when the Chinese stuck tariffs on our Barely and wine, and restricted imports of Coal, Lobsters and some timbers.
Mick

Its something Oz should have done when the Chinese stuck tariffs on our Barely and wine, and restricted imports of Coal, Lobsters and some timbers.
Mick

All tariffs would do would make all the things we import more expensive, it’s not like we are going to start building cars here, so it would just be an extra tax on Australian consumers, and risk further retaliation.

The best thing would have be not to have our politicians provoke China to further their own political self interest.

Difficult to argue a point when you are bent over a barrel, as Australia is. ;)
It’s crazy for either China or Australia to be at odds, we have so much to gain from trading with each other. Political leaders just need to focus on keeping the relationships good, and not grandstanding to get fear based support at elections time. That’s a big reason I voted labour at the last election Scott Morrison was being a fool in relation to China.

Yes, as long as both sides don't treat trade as a political weapon, or a way to control the other side.

Both of these are happening on the part of you know who, imo.
Well if you provoke another nation to much, they will use weapons against you to push back, and trade sanctions etc are some of the more peaceful weapons to use.

In my opinion the most appropriate thing to do is to not go out of your way to provoke your trading partners in the first place.

So you are an appeasement believer?
No, I am a believer in being civil.

Scott Morrison’s behaviour had nothing to do with anything China was doing, and everything to do with trying to appeal to his own support base in Australia to try and win an election.

That’s the things these politicians like trump and Morrison that want to appear like “Strong Men” aren’t doing to solve any actual problem, They are just appealing to their own people in their country.

No, I am a believer in being civil.

Scott Morrison’s behaviour had nothing to do with anything China was doing, and everything to do with trying to appeal to his own support base in Australia to try and win an election.

That’s the things these politicians like trump and Morrison that want to appear like “Strong Men” aren’t doing to solve any actual problem, They are just appealing to their own people in their country.
Well, Morrison is gone and Albanese has been as civil as he can be, and yet China still keeps firing missiles over the Pacific ocean and engaging in provocative acts like attacking our aircraft in international airspace.

So maybe our attempts to defend ourselves better through AUKUS is provocative to the Chinese and we shouldn't be doing it?

So you are an appeasement believer?
in my case YES , within reason

since Australia in it's current situation is unable to usurp the power of China , and more importantly has a reasonable trading relationship with China/Hong Kong the status quo is beneficial to both

now sure Australia could manufacture and process more raw materials , but i haven't seen any evidence China is stopping Australia from doing that ( unless our leaders are on the CCP payroll )

Well, Morrison is gone and Albanese has been as civil as he can be, and yet China still keeps firing missiles over the Pacific ocean and engaging in provocative acts like attacking our aircraft in international airspace.

So maybe our attempts to defend ourselves better through AUKUS is provocative to the Chinese and we shouldn't be doing it?
.. but most military exercises i see , Australia attacks Indonesia ( who would more likely be a buffer against a Chinese Invasion of Indonesia/Australia )

so are we really trying to bully Indonesia into more military spending ( and hope they don't decide to attack Australia preemptively ) ?

Wouldn't touch a Jeep.

Heard too many bad things about them.

Same. Biggest lemon going around.

My neighbours Jeep Cherokee caught fire on the highway while towing their caravan, lost everything. Lucky he had great insurance, they paid for the car and van.
I had a couple (2008 Commander and 2016 Grand Cherokee), both diesels didn't have a problem with either, but there was a huge amount of bad press when the WK outsold the Landcruiser, funny that.
One thing that was an issue was the price of servicing and parts were ridiculous, also on the Jeep forums a lot of people were less than happy with their dealerships.
But I found Jeep were very quick to recall and fix any issue that came up, which a lot of other manufacturers aren't, it took years for Toyota to acknowledge DPF and injector issues with the D4D and Nissan really never got on board with the hand grenade issue until it became common knowledge.
I tend to ask people who actually owned a vehicle, what their impressions are and if they would buy another, rather than take much notice of the media and their hyperbole.
I always remember the flak I copped when I bought my first car, a 1968 Toyota Crown, everyone called it Jap crap and they all owned Holden and Fords.
They still make and use the old Toyota Crowns for Taxis in Japan. ;)

I had a couple (2008 Commander and 2016 Grand Cherokee), both diesels didn't have a problem with either, but there was a huge amount of bad press when the WK outsold the Landcruiser, funny that.
One thing that was an issue was the price of servicing and parts were ridiculous, also on the Jeep forums a lot of people were less than happy with their dealerships.
But I found Jeep were very quick to recall and fix any issue that came up, which a lot of other manufacturers aren't, it took years for Toyota to acknowledge DPF and injector issues with the D4D and Nissan really never got on board with the hand grenade issue until it became common knowledge.
I tend to ask people who actually owned a vehicle, what their impressions are and if they would buy another, rather than take much notice of the media and their hyperbole.
I always remember the flak I copped when I bought my first car, a 1968 Toyota Crown, everyone called it Jap crap and they all owned Holden and Fords.
They still make and use the old Toyota Crowns for Taxis in Japan. ;)

You were lucky.

My business is involved in the vehicle market, and we saw the ridiculous amount of issues and problems with Jeeps. Especially from the early 2000’s until recently.

Cheap plastics, electrical issues, transmissions, price of parts. It got so bad that the ACCC investigated.

You were lucky.

My business is involved in the vehicle market, and we saw the ridiculous amount of issues and problems with Jeeps. Especially from the early 2000’s until recently.

Cheap plastics, electrical issues, transmissions, price of parts. It got so bad that the ACCC investigated.

I can only go from personal experience, the Commander did 200k then I gave it to the son, he did a furthet 150k and sold it, to buy an Audi Q7 that turned out to bd a lemmon.