• Already own one

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Yes - would definitely buy

Votes: 43 22.1%
  • Yes - preferred over petrol car if price/power/convenience similar

Votes: 78 40.0%
  • Maybe - preference for neither, only concerned with costs etc

Votes: 36 18.5%
  • No - prefer petrol car even if electric car has same price, power and convenience

Votes: 24 12.3%
  • No - would never buy one

Votes: 14 7.2%

• Total voters
And if China left Taiwan and the Philippines alone and instead behaved like a civil country like you expect others to do, then there would be no need for the US in the South China Sea.
The USA has had bases in Asia and the south China Sea since before Taiwan existed, and the USA doesn’t even officially recognise Taiwan as a country.

Also, the USA has been invading and Bombing countries in Asia for over a century, how many American or European countries has China invaded?

Any way, we are about to give Mullo a heart attack, maybe tag me in a reply in another thread if you want to respond.

I hate to go off topic and not talk about China, but my wife had an issue with charging her EV (again).
We cannot get down to Melbourne and back on a full charge, so there is a requirement to charge somewhere.
Most times we charge at the BP servo on the corner of cooper street and Hume freeway.
Unfortunately, the two Evie Networks Tritium chargers were in the process of being removed when she called in.
No one was able to say if they are being removed permanently but it looks like it.
We hoped it would be replaced by the BP pulse, but there is nothing on the BP app to include it in the upcoming ones.
evie as a company has made much of its rollout of chargers,, like This one from AFR or This one from Fleet News .
But while looking for some information on most recent Evie news I camer across this from The Driven
1728367450977.png
1728367513473.png
It would be tragically funny if the EV charging network rollout were to be killed off by customers ability to conduct home charging.
Mick

You are judging this from the results of one party only elections? :roflmao:

**This is going off topic, so I have put a more detailed answer here - https://www.aussiestockforums.com/threads/china-on-our-doorstep.36999/page-19#post-1299930

I think that it is more than that, there is a hidden agenda.

Group thought has changed, large groups in democratic countries have reached a dilemma: how to stop the decline of fauna, flora, nature?

They believe that limiting humanity's natural tendency of individualism is the answer. They are looking at government control similar to China's.

And that is why we have people trying to tell us that China is good, the US is bad, blah blah.

China’s debt trap...A case in point is Sri Lanka’s experience with the Chinese infrastructure loan for the development of the Hambantota Port. The Sri Lankan government, unable to repay the loan, was compelled to concede the port to China on a 99-year lease in 2017.
In 2021, US President Joe Biden... expressed that US-China rivalry is part of a broader competition between democracy and autocracy. To...unite nations that uphold democratic values, and address the challenges that democracy faces in the contemporary world.

In the United Nations Security Council (UNSC), China appears to be leading a coalition of nations that lack robust democratic institutions. This coalition includes countries like Russia, Iran, North Korea, and Myanmar.
Xi Jinping currently serves as the President of the People’s Republic of China (PRC). His policy shift, dubbed “striving for achievement,” represents a departure from Deng Xiaoping’s strategy of “keeping a low profile and biding time...Securing his third term of leadership during the 20th Party Congress in 2022, Xi amended the country’s constitution in 2018 to eliminate term limits for the presidency, thereby paving the way for potential lifelong rule.[10] Consequently, Xi Jinping has ascended to become China’s most powerful leader since Mao Zedong, the founder of the PRC.

Last edited:
I hate to go off topic and not talk about China, but my wife had an issue with charging her EV (again).
We cannot get down to Melbourne and back on a full charge, so there is a requirement to charge somewhere.
Most times we charge at the BP servo on the corner of cooper street and Hume freeway.
Unfortunately, the two Evie Networks Tritium chargers were in the process of being removed when she called in.
No one was able to say if they are being removed permanently but it looks like it.
We hoped it would be replaced by the BP pulse, but there is nothing on the BP app to include it in the upcoming ones.
evie as a company has made much of its rollout of chargers,, like This one from AFR or This one from Fleet News .
But while looking for some information on most recent Evie news I camer across this from The Driven
View attachment 185603
View attachment 185604
It would be tragically funny if the EV charging network rollout were to be killed off by customers ability to conduct home charging.
Mick

The saviour for EV charging network is to combine with petrol stations and supermarkets, in country towns.

Tesla should be the model for all, but very few want to admit that.

Traveling interstate with a Tesla is very easy. Put the address in the sat nav and all the required charging stops is worked out, then drive to those stops and connect to the charger. No signing up at each charger, no logging in, no hasssle.

View attachment 185603
View attachment 185604
Mick
Hence the massive increase in demand for hybrids over BEV's.

View attachment 185603
View attachment 185604
Mick
I'm looking at giving the Arnage to one of the children and buying a new car, an ICE or possibly a Hybrid.

This EV stuff is all too complicated for me. Complicated = Distress = gg running away from distress.

gg

The saviour for EV charging network is to combine with petrol stations and supermarkets, in country towns.

Tesla should be the model for all, but very few want to admit that.

Traveling interstate with a Tesla is very easy. Put the address in the sat nav and all the required charging stops is worked out, then drive to those stops and connect to the charger. No signing up at each charger, no logging in, no hasssle.
Of course, Tesla solves all problems.
As long as you stick to the main roads or the coast.
As I look at the Tesla charger map there is nothing in western Queensland, nothing in western NSW.
Try travelling to somewhere like Ivanoe in western NSW.
We cannot do it and get to the next stop Cobar.
Or maybe drive from Wilcannia to Hungerford.
Townsville to Wilcannia, a mere 1500 kms and no tesla chargers on the route.
Oz is a big place, perhaps you just need to get out more.
Mick

As I look at the Tesla charger map there is nothing in western Queensland, nothing in western NSW.
Mick

I did not say that Tesla have covered the country with chargers, I said that the Tesla charging system is the one that should be used and copied.

With Tesla you give your payment details once, and then you go to any Tesla charging station, plug in, wait 10 to 30 minutes, unplug and drive off. I don’t know of any other company that has a charging system that is that easy.

I did not say that Tesla have covered the country with chargers, I said that the Tesla charging system is the one that should be used and copied.

With Tesla you give your payment details once, and then you go to any Tesla charging station, plug in, wait 10 to 30 minutes, unplug and drive off. I don’t know of any other company that has a charging system that is that easy.
have you ever charged at any station other than a Tesla?
mick

View attachment 185603
View attachment 185604
Mick
Have you checked if there is any Tesla chargers you can use on that route, a lot have been opened up to other brands now, would like to hear your thoughts on how they are compared to the other brands you have been using.

I think it is likely that we will never need as many public EV chargers as we do petrol bowsers, just because most charging will happen at home.

The so called "absolute power" you mention has been wielded by America since WWII.
America has dominated all international forums, including the UN, and used "aid" as a means to curry favour with the developing world.
Additionally, America has not been a signatory to the most beneficial UN conventions, including UNCLOS, but has been instrumental in destabilising dozens of governments and actually overthrowing some. That's aside from the many conflicts it has instigated, with few ending well... Afghanistan being the latest. China's record is somewhat different.

Your idea that China was a "country transitioning to a democratic capitalist system" was never in play. It was just a hope predicated largely on its enrty to the WTO.

In my 50+years following world politics, China's post-Mao period has not only been exceptionally stable but has also transformed an incredibly poor nation into an industrial behemoth. From a solely political perspective, no nation has a higher regard for their leadership, so whatever freedoms people think are foregone in China, they are not reflected by its citizens.

On topic, China's transformation has been led by successive 5 year plans which typically propose roadmaps to be followed over the long term. America regularly claims these to be failures (eg https://www.uscc.gov/sites/default/files/Research/12th-FiveYearPlan_062811.pdf) but the writing on the wall suggests otherwise. The above link inlcudes the many areas of focus from 2011 and includes electric cars.
View attachment 185598

We now know that apart from being the largest global manufacturer, consumer, and exporter of vehicles, it leads in all areas of mobile electrification. On the electric car front, over 50% of its internal sales are new energy vehicles. That share will continue to increase as China is producing EVs cheaper than ICEvs.

The recent imposition of tariffs by America/Canada and the EU will harm both consumers and their vehicle industries. Consumers unable to afford BEVs will pay a lot more for inferior products that are also inefficient. Aside from Tesla, America's BEV industry is a long way behind South Korea's and China's.

An interesting questionmark is over the issue of whether or not North America and the EU will have amajor impact on China's NEV industry. We can immediately discount North America as China's EV's don't ship there. The EU would be a good market to grow in, but overall BEV numbers to date do not determine any Chinese manufacturer's future. On the other hand there is a rapidly growing SE Asian market being tapped, plus further potential for South America and, later, Africa.

Europe's tariffs are going to remain problematic. Most major European car manufacturers also produce some of their BEVs and other models in China, and these are their most profitable offerings.

Then there's the global move to decarbonise, and BEVs play an important role in the plans of most nations. With China producing the widest range of BEVs, and at the lowest price, it will be interesting to see if consumer demands win out over ideology.
There will always be a problem for the West competing with China, the West are dependant on fossil fuel and high wages to support their economy and lifestyle, China isn't because it is starting from a much lower base point.
So eventually a reckoning has to happen, China will keep growing and the Wests trading power and currency value will keep falling as we become dependant on Chinese manufacturing and they become less dependant on our trade.
Interesting times.

Mick
Telsa are growing the network pretty fast, sure they are everywhere yet, but they are where most of the traffic flows, and are filling out the other areas constantly.

I don’t know exactly where in VIC you are but they are filling out Victoria pretty good. There is many more places that will be added to this map in the next 12 months too.

Screen Shot 2024-09-14 at 1.26.56 pm.png

It is a bit like saying everyone should have an iphone.
They have become a fashion statement and everyone who is anyone has one and then the media hacks have to have one, or are given one.
Then everything else is $hit. Lol

Not quite, it’s more about using a system or product that works. Remember phones before the iPhone?

Yes, numerous times and in several states.

I love driving holidays, and travel quite often.
Well in that case you should have realised that the other charging apps act the same as teslas as far as ease of charging go.
Your payment details are in the app, just like tesla.
You enter the charger Id and start charging.
Just like Tesla app, which I have also used.
Its just a pity there are so many of the damn things.
mick

You are judging this from the results of one party only elections? :roflmao:
Live in china for a few years and i can positively confirm that the monopolistic nature of the CCP or the absence of democracy is definitely the least of the worries of the average and middle class Chinese people.Worse, the one travelling are actually dismayed at the results of our woke democracies..asking a lot of common sense questions .
Anyway, the idea that we should have China as our enemy when our economy is do dependent is laughable
At the very least, our leaders should decouple then rattle sabres..
And on both parties
As for putting leavies , preventing remote access to chinese made cars here,why should we as consumer have to pay overpriced non chinese EVs.
Anyway, brains and Australian leaderships ..not to mention voters

Group thought has changed, large groups in democratic countries have reached a dilemma: how to stop the decline of fauna, flora, nature?

They believe that limiting humanity's natural tendency of individualism is the answer. They are looking at government control similar to China's.
Whilst I agree with your observation, and I’ll say that thinking goes back many decades it’s not recent, the track record of such countries says it won’t work as some are expecting.