• Already own one

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Yes - would definitely buy

Votes: 43 22.1%
  • Yes - preferred over petrol car if price/power/convenience similar

Votes: 78 40.0%
  • Maybe - preference for neither, only concerned with costs etc

Votes: 36 18.5%
  • No - prefer petrol car even if electric car has same price, power and convenience

Votes: 24 12.3%
  • No - would never buy one

Votes: 14 7.2%

• Total voters
But plastics are hydrocarbons, currently mostly refined from fossil fuel products.
that will never do.
mick
@Smurf1976 said something that stuck in my brain.

We shouldn't be burning the remaining hydrocarbons to run power stations as they are very useful.
Future generations a long time further up in history will be cursing our wasteful ways.

Definitely, or blow mould plastic body on skateboard construction running gear, a bit like an over size scalextric car, where the body is easily changed on the platform.
Makes perfect sense and improves the recycle potential of plastics in general, all they have to do is keep improving the autonomous ability of the EV's, and get the older cars off the road.
This will enable the manufactures to reduce the impact safety requirements current technology forces manufacturers to build into current cars and allow them to reduce weight.
Just takes time.
Good luck to reduce weight with lithium battery..a tesla weight is more like a tank .I remember when I was horrified by the weight of a Ford F150...I was old style green knowing physics etc...
Not a new age one ...

We shouldn't be burning the remaining hydrocarbons to run power stations as they are very useful.
Future generations a long time further up in history will be cursing our wasteful ways.
Gas..Aussie meaning: lpg,lng yes, oil aka petrol no, if you remember ..I hardly do, I discussed that probably a decade ago:
The aromatics.. which do not smell good..in oil are a chemistry treasure box...

A manager in the early 1980's said exactly the same to me, when we were discussing power generation, why would you push a beautiful fuel like gas through a GT to make electricity, to boil water in a kettle in a house. Lol

I think eventually we while “refineries“ producing all sorts of hydro carbons using green hydrogen as the feedstock, but we do have lots of coal to fall back on if we really needed fossil fuels as a feed stock.

who knows in a 1000 years we might need to release more carbon to ward off an ice age, then we can exploit coal again.

A manager in the early 1980's said exactly the same to me, when we were discussing power generation, why would you push a beautiful fuel like gas through a GT to make electricity, to boil water in a kettle in a house. Lol
What, he didn’t like hot cups of tea? 😅

No just understood thermodynamics and had a double degree in engineering. Lol
Did his double engineering degree teach him a way of running my TV or my lights using Gas without putting the gas through a power plant?

Thermodynamics is only part of the story, Did he understand that a kettle on a gas burner can only run on gas 100% of the time, where as an electric one can run on gas some of the time when needed, but also run on solar, wind, hydro, coal etc etc at other times When those options are available, and I I eluded to above the gas power plant also fuels many other types of products not suited to gas Such as TV’s

Exactly
If the final aim is thermal, why include electricity loss in the mix so thermal solar heater..even heat pump..aka hybrid way..but nowadays, it is cheaper to add Chinese panels to warm water vs buying Australian made thermal solar..but I digress from the thread, and sm not supposed to participate here..apologies

Did his double engineering degree teach him a way of running my TV or my lights using Gas without putting the gas through a power plant?

Thermodynamics is only part of the story, Did he understand that a kettle on a gas burner can only run on gas 100% of the time, where as an electric one can run on gas some of the time when needed, but also run on solar, wind, hydro, coal etc etc at other times When those options are available, and I I eluded to above the gas power plant also fuels many other types of products not suited to gas Such as TV’s
I think he was alluding to the fact the gas was being burnt at a huge rate per second to provide electricity that could be supplied by something less versatile and the gas could be saved to perform a much more valuable function, that other sources couldn't.
I'm sure most people would have realised that when he mentioned it as a waste of a precious fuel source, I'm surprised you didn't pick that up.

I think he was alluding to the fact the gas was being burnt at a huge rate per second to provide electricity that could be supplied by something less versatile and the gas could be saved to perform a much more valuable function, that other sources couldn't.
I'm sure most people would have realised that when he mentioned it as a waste of a precious fuel source, I'm surprised you didn't pick that up.
Well, I like my electric Kettle 😅, and to be honest I believe we are going to end up leaving a lot of natural gas in the ground anyway.

but when it comes to versatility, gas is used mainly for peaking, it’s pretty versatile for that function.

Exactly
If the final aim is thermal, why include electricity loss in the mix so thermal solar heater..even heat pump..aka hybrid way..but nowadays, it is cheaper to add Chinese panels to warm water vs buying Australian made thermal solar..but I digress from the thread, and sm not supposed to participate here..apologies
Thermal solar is great, but once the water is hot they sit there for the rest of the day or month doing nothing, where as PV‘s will feed electricity into the grid once they are finished heating your water.

Here is what one of the competition is offering -

Truly, it boggles my mind that car firms can spend vast sums on developing what is essentially a new technology – the wheels are only ever turned by the electric motor, but the battery to run that motor is powered by a 1.5-litre petrol engine – which they plan to make redundant in the near future when fully electric vehicles take over.

Clearly their research shows that there are buyers out there who want the smooth power delivery, instant torque and silent running of EVs (which you only get some of the time in the Qashqai because you can hear the engine helping out)

The Qashqai e-Power’s clever set-up offers a claimed fuel economy of 5.2 litres per 100km (we averaged 5.8 litres over four hours of country and city driving), a 2.1kWh battery that can just about get you to the end of the block in pure EV mode (about 3km if you’re lucky), and a CO2 figure of 117g per km, or roughly 117g per kilometre more than if you’d bought an electric car.

Nissan Qashqai Ti e-Power​

ENGINE: 1.5-litre three-cylinder engine plus electric motor (140kW/330Nm)

FUEL ECONOMY: 5.2 litres per 100km

TRANSMISSION: Single-speed automatic, front-wheel drive

PRICE: $51,590

2b90995e48eec434f29d6a8b19c67f5d.jpg

Not exactly electric cars, but the cutting edge of train train travel.
Amazing stuff, considering it is in a developing country. Lol
Yeah, but is that magnetic levitation and propulsion achieved with renewable electricity?
Mick

Not exactly electric cars, but the cutting edge of train train travel.
Amazing stuff, considering it is in a developing country. Lol
was thinking about this stuff ( instead of school work ) back in the late 1960's

the main issue is turns ( a train long enough to be economical would not have the ability to make more than the slightest turns over 100 kilometres an hour )

the second issue is the tube needs to be evacuated , very low air pressure , how do you let passengers on/off at stations with normalizing air pressure in the tube first ( liable to reduce the durability of the tube and train compartments ) because the air volume extracted/ would need to be more than half ) nuclear power plants could supply the energy , but then the next issue is electricity transmission , stations would need to be hundreds of kilometres apart for the train to be cost effective , say Brisbane to Cairns but only 5 stations

that becomes a logistics issue by itself how do you locate this bloody long ( nearly perfectly straight tube) well above ground-level or below

if the Chinese get this perfected good for them .. they can set them up on Mars , Australia would turn it into an absolute clown show ( like half their other 'high-speed rail projects )

Ford Lightning Price Cut "Sends Shockwaves Through EV Market"​