• Already own one

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Yes - would definitely buy

Votes: 43 22.1%
  • Yes - preferred over petrol car if price/power/convenience similar

Votes: 78 40.0%
  • Maybe - preference for neither, only concerned with costs etc

Votes: 36 18.5%
  • No - prefer petrol car even if electric car has same price, power and convenience

Votes: 24 12.3%
  • No - would never buy one

Votes: 14 7.2%

• Total voters
I can vouch for this article, having owned a Tesla M3 LR since July 2021, and over that period only having to replace wiper blades, cabin filter, and a tyre rotation.

A friend owns a Mercedes EQA, his first yearly service was $1200. When he looked at the invoice, he noticed the list included everything for an ICEV. When he questioned them, they said it was a misprint but reduced the price.

Tesla ‘cheapest car brand to maintain’ over 10 years, US survey finds

A survey has revealed which car makers offer the cheapest maintenance in the long term.

Tesla cars are the cheapest to maintain and repair over a 10-year period, a new survey in the US has found.

According to research in the US carried out by Consumer Reports, a review and comparison service, the electric-car company tops the list for having the lowest costs compared to more established rivals.

The study, which polled thousands of car owners in the US in its 2023 annual survey, found there are significant differences in costs as cars age – underscoring how maintenance and repair expenses rise over time.

“The difference to maintain a car on average between some brands can be thousands over a 10-year time frame,” said Steven Elek, Consumer Reports’ program leader for auto data analytics, in a media statement.

“Also, expensive luxury vehicles are often quite expensive to maintain as well over time.”

The costs were calculated from years one to five, and years six to 10, with Tesla’s prices averaging out to $US580 ($AU900) for the first five years and $US3455 ($AU5350) for the following five.

According to the data, on average Toyotas cost $US1125 ($AU1744) to maintain for years one to five, and $US2775 ($AU4302) for years six to 10, meanwhile Fords are said to cost $US1100 ($AU1705) and $US4300 ($AU6666) respectively.

Other brands which operate in Australia that made the Top 10 included Chevrolet, Hyundai, Nissan, Mazda and Honda.

At the opposite end of the rankings were manufacturers of more expensive cars – such as Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and Porsche.

Electric-car brands have long advertised battery-powered vehicles have much lower repair and maintenance costs due to having fewer moving parts than petrol and diesel-fuelled vehicles.

Comparing older models with more modern cars can be murky, as a number of brands now offer free maintenance periods on new cars – and normally such cars need very little work in the first couple of years.

Repairs, if needed, are often also covered under warranty – with most companies in Australia offering a minimum of three years.

I can vouch for this article, having owned a Tesla M3 LR since July 2021, and over that period only having to replace wiper blades, cabin filter, and a tyre rotation.

A friend owns a Mercedes EQA, his first yearly service was $1200. When he looked at the invoice, he noticed the list included everything for an ICEV. When he questioned them, they said it was a misprint but reduced the price.
The only problem I see for Tesla is home grown, Musk is doing an amazing job and as I said I was sceptical in the early days, also I don't own a Tesla or Tesla shares.

From an historic view, I just can't see him being allowed to keep growing, the big players wont be liking it IMO, X and close manufacturing ties to China, is walking a very thin tightrope in the U.S. IMO

You only have to look at Trump to see how much pressure can be applied.

The only problem I see for Tesla is home grown, Musk is doing an amazing job and as I said I was sceptical in the early days, also I don't own a Tesla or Tesla shares.

From an historic view, I just can't see him being allowed to keep growing, the big players wont be liking it IMO, X and close manufacturing ties to China, is walking a very thin tightrope in the U.S. IMO

You only have to look at Trump to see how much pressure can be applied.

You can use that same analogy for NVIDIA, and possibly a few others.

Cybertruck, no right hand drive version to be built. But how hard would it be to do a conversion, especially as there is no steering shaft, it is fly by wire technology that steers it.

Tesla Cybertruck caught on camera in Australia

Do not adjust your eyes. This is a Tesla Cybertruck on Australian roads – sparking suggestions it could come to local showrooms after all.

The controversial Tesla Cybertruck electric pick-up has been caught on camera in Australia – even though it may never be built in right-hand drive for sale in local showrooms.

Images posted by Tesla Australia – and as well as 2GB Sydney radio presenter Ben Fordham – show a left-hand-drive Tesla Cybertruck on Bondi Beach, and in the nearby Sydney beach suburb of Coogee, about 6km to the south.

The Cybertruck – which wears temporary Queensland registration – is owned by Tesla, not a private import by a company which converts US pick-ups from left- to right-hand drive.

V
PreviousNext
The Cybertruck sighting on Australian roads is puzzling given it was understood – based on Drive sources – the electric pick-up would not be manufactured in right-hand drive for sale locally.

Multiple Tesla sources told Drive last year that the Texas factory where the Cybertruck is exclusively manufactured has not been configured to support the production of right-hand-drive vehicles, and there were no current plans to do so.

It appears the plan has changed – or Tesla is looking for a fresh gauge of interest in the Cybertruck in Australia, to decide if it should develop a right-hand-drive version.

In recent months, Tesla has taken the Cybertruck on a tour of key right-hand-drive markets in Asia-Pacific – including Thailand, Malaysia and Japan – as well as Europe, where it has been confirmed it will not be sold.

The Tesla Cybertruck still appears on the company's Australian website, though in late 2021 a function allowing local customers to place a $150 deposit was removed.

Earlier this year, Tesla Australia offered Cybertruck deposit holders locally – who have been waiting in the queue for up to four and a half years – a credit towards a Model 3 or Model Y.

Comments made by CEO Elon Musk, in the years since the Cybertruck's reveal as a concept in 2019, indicated it will not meet European motor-vehicle regulations – to which Australia is more closely aligned than to US standards – and that export markets outside the US may not be well suited to the vehicle’s size.

Last year, Tesla scrapped plans for a right-hand-drive version of the facelifted Model S and Model X – after holding deposits for two and a half years – which was interpreted as a suggestion not every new Tesla will be sold globally.

Research by Drive found that just over 10 of the 45 to 50 markets in which Tesla sells cars are right-hand drive. It is estimated just 10 per cent of vehicles sold by the company in 2022 have their steering wheel on the right-hand side.

For context, about 30 per cent of countries place the steering wheel on the right, accounting for approximately 25 per cent of global new-car production.

This is another problem that sounds simple, but isn't and only one side of the issue has been presented.
The reporter should have probably got in touch with the strata body, as to why they wont grant permission, maybe the building electrical supply is marginal, or the network supplier wont allow any more load on their feeder supply.

If they grant permission to one owner, they probably have to be in a position to grant it to all and maybe the buildings electrical system isn't up to taking the extra load. Who knows.

Plus insurances costs...

Plus insurances costs...
Yeah its a matter of time before an underground carpark full of EV's goes up in flames and writes of an apartment block and fair to assume the danger of this increases while they all charging . This is without even addressing the upgrades required in an electrical system to sustain this because if you let one do it you got to let them all so you need a system configured to let them all charge at same time . Its a massive can of worms . Australia is just not ready for full penetration EV

Cummins diesel engines, getting in on the transition to clean engines, with a 15L hydrogen truck engine.

A legendary brand has just set a historic milestone with a better-than-electric and much more futuristic fuel. We’re talking about the new 15-liter hydrogen engine, which is so massive, it won’t be destined for cars. Instead, it will decarbonize a transportation sector that has always been questioned for its high pollution, with few alternative fuels.

The development of this engine, being powered by hydrogen fuel cells and without nitrogen oxide emissions, has marked a breakthrough. The new engine with a power rate of 290HP and is intended to surpass the actual diesel and electric powertrains that are currently the market leaders in the field of commercial vehicles.
290 hp and other exciting aspects of this new hydrogen engine from Cummins.

From. The Driven

The uptake of electric vehicles has cooled in April, 2024, with sales of battery electric vehicles making up just 6.4% of the total new car sales in Australia, down from nearly 10 per cent in the two previous months.
New data from the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries (FCAI) shows that 6,194 sales of all vehicles were battery electric cars, which is down from the highs of over 10,000 sales in the months of February and March. Overall new car sales are at record highs, with hybrids and large SUVs proving popular to Australian buyers.
Polestar, which no longer reports its EV sales to FCAI, said it sold 100 EVs in April. The share of EVs so far in 2024 is 7.8 per cent, which is above the average of 7.1 per cent in the same period a year ago, but its growth rate has stalled.
Tesla, which usually ramps up sales at the end of a quarter, fell back sharply from its March peak, and accounted for just over one third of total EV sales, a market it usually dominates, although the Model Y led the EV charts with 1,166 sales in the month.

Mick

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...

One of China's 'Big Four' automakers has unveiled a new, all-electric 'concept' truck, and it looks uncannily like Tesla's iconic, but controversial Cybertruck.

AA1o3c6O.jpg

Bearing the working title '2024 Concept Pickup truck,' China's knock-off Cybertruck would likely carry a price far cheaper than Tesla's luxury vehicle, based on China's billions in electric vehicle (EV) subsidies.

The model on display this week at the 2024 Beijing auto show boasted a pop-out tent over a mattress in its truck bed, protected by a heftier but more-rounded silver metal body, plus a full-length rear LED that conveys messages to passing motorists.

The competition comes as Tesla has issued a sweeping recall of over 4,000 Cybertrucks — citing safety issues with the accelerator pedal cover, which owners discovered can slide off and become snagged on the carpet.

The flaw has been found to lock Cybertruck's pedals in place, plunging the EV out of control at top speed.

AA1o3qdn.jpg

Like Tesla's Cybertruck, Dongfeng's concept truck comes with a blunt, wedge-shaped or 'sledgehammer' design, a steep snubbed nose up front, and a cargo bed above the back wheels.

While China is currently Tesla's biggest market outside of the United States, the company's billionaire owner, Elon Musk, has noted that it would be 'very difficult' to get his novel Cybertruck 'road legal' in the Asian country.

The interior of the Dongfeng's Cybertruck knockoff remains a mystery however.

Unlike the rest of the EV-maker's lineup at the Beijing show, the 'concept' truck was cordoned off preventing attendees from peeking inside the windows or opening its doors.

I haven't seen a stock take sale for ICEV for years, new car sales must be slow. Sign of tough economic times, or buyers waiting for more EV choices, maybe both -

1714709977459.png

Cummins diesel engines, getting in on the transition to clean engines, with a 15L hydrogen truck engine.

A legendary brand has just set a historic milestone with a better-than-electric and much more futuristic fuel. We’re talking about the new 15-liter hydrogen engine, which is so massive, it won’t be destined for cars. Instead, it will decarbonize a transportation sector that has always been questioned for its high pollution, with few alternative fuels.

The development of this engine, being powered by hydrogen fuel cells and without nitrogen oxide emissions, has marked a breakthrough. The new engine with a power rate of 290HP and is intended to surpass the actual diesel and electric powertrains that are currently the market leaders in the field of commercial vehicles.
290 hp and other exciting aspects of this new hydrogen engine from Cummins.

Did you check this story out SP ? Frankly it is so full of xhite it is impossible to know where to start.
The most obvious point is the breathtaking BS on 290 HP !! Wow. How huge (NOT !!) Even a relatively non truckie like me realizes big trucks need far more juice than 290HP.

I don't know which AI or person who made this fluff up but it deserves the BS of the month award.
A quick heads up of truck power and their ratings.

Did you check this story out SP ? Frankly it is so full of xhite it is impossible to know where to start.
The most obvious point is the breathtaking BS on 290 HP !! Wow. How huge (NOT !!) Even a relatively non truckie like me realizes big trucks need far more juice than 290HP.

I don't know which AI or person who made this fluff up but it deserves the BS of the month award.

Wow 290hp from a 15L engine, that has to be the most inefficient engine design of the last 100 years.

Something to add to my earlier comments. Cummins is showing off a new engine which can be fueled with hydrogen, or diesel . So there is something to talk about. Unfortunately the website that quoted the story did a poor job of translating it. In fact after I checked out a few other stories I think the website is just...rubbish ?

I'm on limited ships wifi so couldn't really investigate it, but hp output on trucks is much lower than performance vehicles, because they are designed and tuned to give maximum torque at low revs.

So that they can get massive loads moving from stationary, they design them for high torque at low loads which due to things like valve overlap reduces max hp.

I would assume the engine is in the very early stages of development and with H2 they would be very carefull with fuel injection and detonation, therefore it is probable that they have a very conservative tune to keep the heat down.

That is why most haul packs as used on mines are diesel/electric, the diesel drives a generator that then feeds power to the electric motor hub wheels, the electric motors give maximum torque at min revs.

Time will tell if it is BS, but it sounds feasible to me that they will be developing internal combustion diesel replacement engines, but I will defer to your knowledge on the subject.

Last edited:

The worlds biggest maker of EVs reports slowdown​

By Glenn Dyer |

BYD, the world’s biggest maker of electrified vehicles, didn’t escape the fallout from China’s EV price wars in the first quarter of 2024. While sales continue to grow, the first-quarter financials show a noticeable slowdown from the boom at the end of 2023.

The giant this week reported its second-highest on-record sales last month, despite the clear slowdown in sales in its market-leading battery-powered cars. A surge in exports in the month to record levels helped offset that dip and pushed total sales for the first four months of the year to 939,508 units, up more than 23% from the same period in 2023 when China was still emerging from the harsh lockdowns of the two preceding years.

The company said it sold 313,245 new energy vehicles (NEVs) in April, up 49% from the 210,295 sold in April 2023 but only up 3.57% from the 302,459 units sold in March.
March’s total was the second-highest since the record in the boom month of last December when the company sold 341,043 units. April now holds the second-highest sales figure on record, and the company seems confident it will hit new records over the rest of this year.
Interestingly, BYD's sales of plug-in hybrids (called PHEVs in China) were again ahead of the company’s normal strength—pure BEVs (or battery-powered electric vehicles), which surprisingly fell last month.
Passenger BEV sales were 134,465, down 3.9% from March but up 28.8% from April 2023.
But sales of PHEVs were up nearly 10% from March at 177,583 and a massive 69% from a year ago. In April, BYD sold a record 41,011 vehicles in overseas markets, surpassing March's previous record of 38,434. That's up 176% year-on-year and 6.7% from March.

Analysts said the lift in BYD’s sales of PHEVs (which are rechargeable hybrids, unlike the regenerative types Toyota sells in their millions and do not need charging) tells us the company is selling into markets where there are few recharging stations.

Earlier this week, BYD’s first-quarter revenue and earnings took an obvious hit from the sales war costs and a sluggish start to the year for sales. It reported revenue of 124.94 billion yuan ($US17.25 billion) in the first quarter, up 4% year-on-year but down nearly 31% from the fourth quarter of 2023. BYD's net profit in the first quarter was 4.57 billion yuan (around $US635 million), up 10.6% year-on-year but down 47.3% from the fourth quarter of 2023.

BYD's first-quarter NEV sales were 626,263 vehicles, up 13.4% year-on-year, but down a third from the fourth quarter of 2023.

Very true, a lot of people have trouble getting their heads around that fact, yet it is one of the most important facts in enery conversion.

IMG_4753.jpeg

13l diesel creating 400+ horsepower

I'm on limited ships wifi so couldn't really investigate it, but hp output on trucks is much lower than performance vehicles, because they are designed and tuned to give maximum torque at low revs.

So that they can get massive loads moving from stationary, they design them for high torque at low loads which due to things like valve overlap reduces max hp.

I would assume the engine is in the very early stages of development and with H2 they would be very carefull with fuel injection and detonation, therefore it is probable that they have a very conservative tune to keep the heat down.

That is why most haul packs as used on mines are diesel/electric, the diesel drives a generator that then feeds power to the electric motor hub wheels, the electric motors give maximum torque at min revs.

Time will tell if it is BS, but it sounds feasible to me that they will be developing internal combustion diesel replacement engines, but I will defer to your knowledge on the subject.

The story itself wasn't BS SP. I checked it out and Cummins is certainly developing a motor that can run on hydrogen as well as diesel
Your right of course about trucks being more focused on torque rather than outright power as such.

I was commenting on the report from ecoticias. It seems totally garbled.
I don't claim to have any special knowledge about truck engines. I can read though and pick up glaring inconsistencies which invite checking out.
Cummins is a an ICE engine manufacturer that is trying to keep its plant solvent in the face of movements to electric power. No surprise it is trying to pivot to Hydrogen.