• Already own one

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Yes - would definitely buy

Votes: 43 22.1%
  • Yes - preferred over petrol car if price/power/convenience similar

Votes: 78 40.0%
  • Maybe - preference for neither, only concerned with costs etc

Votes: 36 18.5%
  • No - prefer petrol car even if electric car has same price, power and convenience

Votes: 24 12.3%
  • No - would never buy one

Votes: 14 7.2%

• Total voters
The Apple 2 was the leading Personal Computer that revolutionised the PC industry in 1979 and was the top selling computer for a number of years.

The point was that the world has moved on a lot since then. It's early days for PVs.

I thought it was the Commodore 64, that is what all my friends and I wanted

The Apple 2 was the leading Personal Computer that revolutionised the PC industry in 1979 and was the top selling computer for a number of years.

The point was that the world has moved on a lot since then. It's early days for PVs.
They have come along way since then, now I have an Apple computer on my wrist, that I can pay with instead of a credit card, and Apple collects 0.15% of the transaction, I have an Apple device connected to my TV that Apple collects 30% of the streaming subscriptions, I have an Apple phone in my pocket that Apple earns subscriptions for my music, Apple computer on my desk that has a cloud storage subscription, I have various Apple speakers around my house.

Not only all that, but they are holding cash deposits for all the ITunes gift cards my family has purchased to pay for services we intend to use in the future.

They have come along way since then, now I have an Apple computer on my wrist, that I can pay with instead of a credit card, and Apple collects 0.15% of the transaction, I have an Apple device connected to my TV that Apple collects 30% of the streaming subscriptions, I have an Apple phone in my pocket that Apple earns subscriptions for my music, Apple computer on my desk that has a cloud storage subscription, I have various Apple speakers around my house.

Not only all that, but they are holding cash deposits for all the ITunes gift cards my family has purchased to pay for services we intend to use in the future.
For mine far too much information being garnished by Apple for my liking.

The state of the Chinese market
These are always contentious, you don't know how old the footage is, but some of the stats are dobering.
Price reductions are both good and bad.
As new car prices plummet, used car prices follow suit.
Factory closures will always happen, as long as new factories replace them with the latest technology , things move forward.
But there is now ay that the world can just keep churning out more and more cars without having a deleterious economic effect.
Mick

@sptrawler She who is never wrong is in the caste as your better half. After her prolonged illness I also required that she have one. Problem it is hardly turned on and because it is 3G it now has a limited life span. Going to be interesting when a new has to be purchased.
beware of phones that have 'eSIMs' seems they are having some issues (feedback from an associate )

These are always contentious, you don't know how old the footage is, but some of the stats are dobering.
Factory closures will always happen, as long as new factories replace them with the latest technology , things move forward.
But there is now ay that the world can just keep churning out more and more cars without having a deleterious economic effect.
Mick

no problem , since they are starting to sanction China ... China will sell to all the other nations on the US sanction list

( China might even roll out charging stations in Africa , Afghanistan and Iran , not to mention Cuba )

Care to elaborate on that ?
Mick
it seems some eSIMs , have trouble switching between 3G and 4G on some Queensland towers ( since that associate has both Oplus and Telstra linked to that phone ) it is less reliable that my older model which has a real card and just uses Oplus ( same brand but my phone is older and a down-market model )

customer support blames eSIMs rather than tower issues ( on both service providers ) the opposite of customer support when in Brisbane when towers/upgrades get the blame ( none dare blame the US 'magnificent 7' maker )

now sure i have my black spots with my device , but they are reasonably predictable , in a hollow with iron-based rocks , surrounding, for instance ( NOT while wandering the residence during a conversation ) with a 270 degree view and 600 metres above sea level

Mick

Some of the content is accurate, but a great deal is China bashing from a network of right wing media sponsored by the Falun Gong.

BYD has bought some of the zombie factories to continue ramping up their output. However, most factories will either lie dormant or be repurposed, and there's a lot more to come from both the ICEv and BEV sides of automaking. China made it clear a few years ago that the number of NEV automakers was unsustainable, and there is a big push to rationalise the market. Pure ICEv automakers won't survive in China, and hybrids will be next to follow.
On price cutting, it's true that giveaway prices exist for ICEvs, but these will not be taken up by Chinese city dwellers as there are too many disadvantages to owning them compared to a BEV. Importantly, Chinese automakers are now producing EVs at a lesser cost than an ICEV... fewer moving parts, easy assembly and much cheaper batteries. This trend extends through the many market segments, from micro minis to high performance cars.

The China bashing market also retains, in the USA in particular, a strong anti-EV slant, and these ideas are not necessarily mutually exclusive. So pivoting to America we find these EV truths:
What's interesting about the US situation is that little to none of the 7 reasons apply to Tesla, the only US car company making an EV at a profit! Tesla owners will tell you why, but be prepared to spend a few hours listening.
And looking at America's biggest car market problem we now learn this (and note US data seldom includes Tesla):

rough downhill and steep slope , even the second model all steel and proper steering wheel ( and arms) gave out twice

you make it we broke it , and that was before they finally bitumened the road
Ball bearing wheels, great till they got some dirt in the race and then seized up

Just to move on from the billy cart EV part of the thread.
Two interesting items.
1. From Nasdaq
BEIJING, March 8 (Reuters) - China's pure electric vehicle sales slowed in January-February from the same period a year earlier, industry data showed on Friday, as competition intensified with market leader BYD 1211.HK heading a deeper round of price cuts.

Sales of battery-powered EVs rose 18.2%, cooling from 20.8% for all of 2023, showed data from the China Passenger Car Association. That partially mirrored waning consumer interest as blistering cold snaps slowed the performance of EV batteries.

Sales of new energy vehicles (NEVs) which includes vehicles powered by other emerging technologies such as plug-in petrol-electric hybrids, jumped 37.5% in the first two months, from 36.2% in 2023.

That figure compared with the overall passenger car market's 16.3% growth in January-February and reflected a 33.5% NEV penetration rate versus 28.3% in the same period of 2023.

Weakness in EV recharging and driving range due to rain, snow and ice "temporarily weighed on consumer buying confidence," the association said in a statement.
2. From Zero Hedge
Tesla shares went into frefall after it eported Q1 deliveries and production that fell far below estimates.

1712097775347.png

The falling deliveries are the most critical part, as external forces can affect roduction.
But if deliveries are falling, it usually means that willing buyers have declined.
Looking at the bar chart above, its fairy obvious that the growth has plateaued since the 3rd quarter of 2023.
Mick