• Already own one

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Yes - would definitely buy

Votes: 43 22.1%
  • Yes - preferred over petrol car if price/power/convenience similar

Votes: 78 40.0%
  • Maybe - preference for neither, only concerned with costs etc

Votes: 36 18.5%
  • No - prefer petrol car even if electric car has same price, power and convenience

Votes: 24 12.3%
  • No - would never buy one

Votes: 14 7.2%

• Total voters
One aspect I fear will come soon: when joy ridden cars are dumped, they are often torched..
Now imagine once some of these DW discover the way to start a firework after stealing an EV; I suspect this will spread like a wild fire LOL with fireworks keeping fire emergencies busy every friday night.
I understand EVs are so far mainly the realm of private houses garaged cars so relatively protected but the more numerous EVs get, it is a crisis in waiting.
I will just keep an eye on this in the coming months

I read a lot about the Chinese vehicle market taking over, but after driving an MG for a week I think that the old establishment still have the upper hand.

Other Chinese brands may be different, but my opinion of the MG is that the build quality is very good for the price. And that’s where it stops.

I’ve driven it for 10 days across Tasmania from the one side to the other. It is reliable but clunky.
The heater is slow warm, and the climate control struggles when the sun heats up the cabin.
The electronics are slow to respond, pressing icons on the screen or steering wheel takes a second or more to do anything, even the volume control is extremely delayed. At one point I thought I was going to have to call roadside assistance, the start button would not work, I pressed and nothing happened, and then some lights came on but I couldn’t move, I pressed again and everything turned off. I did this about 6 times and then decided to stop for a few minutes, lock and unlock the car, and then everything was good. That was about 7 days ago, it’s been pretty good since except for earlier today when the audio system & screen rebooted while driving.
The drive train clunks and whines every so often, and the suspension is to soft.
Overtaking on the highway happens with a wish and a prayer.

There’s a reason that things are cheap, something must be compromised.

buy new with a warranty, do not buy second hand.

The problem is, as disposable income and living standards drop, so does what people want to spend on cars, I'm seeing a hell of a lot more Havals on the road.
The days when dad took the Kingswood lnto the front lawn, for its weekly wash, are long gone.
Cars are becomming a disposable consumer good, same as Swiss watches, times move on.

I read a lot about the Chinese vehicle market taking over, but after driving an MG for a week I think that the old establishment still have the upper hand.

Other Chinese brands may be different, but my opinion of the MG is that the build quality is very good for the price. And that’s where it stops.

I’ve driven it for 10 days across Tasmania from the one side to the other. It is reliable but clunky.
The heater is slow warm, and the climate control struggles when the sun heats up the cabin.
The electronics are slow to respond, pressing icons on the screen or steering wheel takes a second or more to do anything, even the volume control is extremely delayed. At one point I thought I was going to have to call roadside assistance, the start button would not work, I pressed and nothing happened, and then some lights came on but I couldn’t move, I pressed again and everything turned off. I did this about 6 times and then decided to stop for a few minutes, lock and unlock the car, and then everything was good. That was about 7 days ago, it’s been pretty good since except for earlier today when the audio system & screen rebooted while driving.
The drive train clunks and whines every so often, and the suspension is to soft.
Overtaking on the highway happens with a wish and a prayer.

There’s a reason that things are cheap, something must be compromised.

buy new with a warranty, do not buy second hand.
which MG, was it an EV?
I have got a new cheap MG ZST and quite happy...when i press and nothing starts=> means that I forgot to be in park mode..were you?

Very lazy driving I just increase or decrease speed control, most of driving is left to the car..following, slowing ,accelerating, lights on off beam on off , assisted mostly automatic wheel movement to follow road...take a while to get used to /trusting
My only angst is with consumption (8 to 9l/100) but I can do better if I take control and only driving hills, hinterland range and city start stop)
was wondering about the ZST EV..but I would buy BYD if I had to...

which MG, was it an EV?
I have got a new cheap MG ZST and quite happy...when i press and nothing starts=> means that I forgot to be in park mode..were you?

Very lazy driving I just increase or decrease speed control, most of driving is left to the car..following, slowing ,accelerating, lights on off beam on off , assisted mostly automatic wheel movement to follow road...take a while to get used to /trusting
My only angst is with consumption (8 to 9l/100) but I can do better if I take control and only driving hills, hinterland range and city start stop)
was wondering about the ZST EV..but I would buy BYD if I had to...
Wait till you drive a Tesla on navigate on autopilot, it will not just lane keep, it will over take slower cars, change lanes on the freeway to navigate, take the exit etc.

I drove from North of Brisbane, to Ballina (about 3 hours) without doing anything, the car made multiple lane changes to navigate off the Bruce highway and over the gateway bridge, changed lanes a few times to head to Gold Coast and onto pacific highway and then took the exit in Ballina for the super charger.

One aspect I fear will come

Really, that keeps you up at night?

you should hang out will my Dad, he loves to worry about all sorts of points stuff, and be mad at kids riding electric scooters without helmets.

Try to fear less.

The problem is, as disposable income and living standards drop, so does what people want to spend on cars, I'm seeing a hell of a lot more Havals on the road.
The days when dad took the Kingswood lnto the front lawn, for its weekly wash, are long gone.
Cars are becomming a disposable consumer good, same as Swiss watches, times move on.
What? People don’t wash their Haval? Hahaha.

Maybe people not washing their Kingswoods on the lawn is a sign they have more disposable income, and have better things to do on the weekend.

Byd plan to release their next generatoion blade batteries, increasing the energy density by about 40%.

From Car news China
BYD battery subsidiary FinDreams will launch a second generation version of its blade battery later this year, possibly in August. One of the key upgrades in the new battery will be the energy density which is expected to reach 190 Wh/kg.

The original blade battery introduced in 2020 revolutionized the EV industry by making cheaper lithium iron phosphate (LFP) batteries have power densities that made them competitive with NCM (nickel cobalt manganese) batteries. This was done by arranging the individual cells into a blade like arrangement within the battery packs hence the name blade battery. Such an arrangement increased the space utilization by 50% compared to existing LFP batteries at the time.

When introduced the first generation blade battery had an energy density of 140 Wh/kg which has since been increased to 150 Wh/kg.

BYD Chairman Wang Chuanfu revealed development of the new battery during a recent financial report communication meeting. Wang Chuanfu said that the second-generation blade battery will have a smaller size and lighter weight for the same endurance, and that power consumption will be reduced per 100 kilometers.

Fast Technology speculate that the second generation blade battery will help all-electric models exceed 1,000 kilometers CLTC range. Such a range would make cars fitted with them competitive with the solid state battery being touted by IM Motors and the semi-solid state battery now in production for Nio.
If indeed the second generation blade battery can achieve over 190 Wh/kg energy density it will make the them the highest performing LFP batteries to date. BYD claim that one of the key benefits of the blade battery is that they are much safer. The company is very keen on showing the nail penetration test under which an NCM battery bursts into flames after being penetrated by a nail but the blade battery does not.

It’s believed that the second-generation blade battery will not only improve the energy density, but also optimize the size, weight and power consumption of the battery pack, further improving the range and performance of electric vehicles.

Ultimately it should result in cheaper EVs and help BYD with its aim of selling NEVs at prices less than traditional fuel powered cars and give BYD a further edge in the price war. The battery packs will be smaller and lighter which should translate into lower cost. Additionally by taking up less space with the packs there will be more space for the car’s occupants.

The news from BYD comes close on the heels of the announcement about BYD’s fifth generation DM-i plugin hybrid system which should enable cars to achieve a combined range of nearly 2,000 km.
Wonder how long before they reach Oz?
Mick

What? People don’t wash their Haval? Hahaha.

Maybe people not washing their Kingswoods on the lawn is a sign they have more disposable income, and have better things to do on the weekend.
Or have better things to spend their money on, tastes change, priorities change and these days what people use to impress has changed.
Where it used to be the car, now it appears to be where they eat out, the personal grooming, investment properties is also becomming a show of success, cars appear to be sliding on the smug scale.
Apart from Teslas ATM they are the must have badge in the purple circle, if you want to be seen in an EV, Tesla is definely the one.

Or have better things to spend their money on, tastes change, priorities change and these days what people use to impress has changed.
Where it used to be the car, now it appears to be where they eat out, the personal grooming, investment properties is also becomming a show of success, cars appear to be sliding on the smug scale.
Apart from Teslas ATM they are the must have badge in the purple circle, if you want to be seen in an EV, Tesla is definely the one.
Eventually cars will end up being 3D printed similar to self made kit models

Eventually cars will end up being 3D printed similar to self made kit models

Definitely, or blow mould plastic body on skateboard construction running gear, a bit like an over size scalextric car, where the body is easily changed on the platform.
Makes perfect sense and improves the recycle potential of plastics in general, all they have to do is keep improving the autonomous ability of the EV's, and get the older cars off the road.
This will enable the manufactures to reduce the impact safety requirements current technology forces manufacturers to build into current cars and allow them to reduce weight.
Just takes time.

Definitely, or blow mould plastic body on skateboard construction running gear, a bit like an over size scalextric car, where the body is easily changed on the platform.
Makes perfect sense and improves the recycle potential of plastics in general, all they have to do is keep improving the autonomous ability of the EV's to and get the older cars off the road to reduce the impact safety requirements current technology forces manufacturers to build into current cars.
Just takes time.
But plastics are hydrocarbons, currently mostly refined from fossil fuel products.
that will never do.
mick

Yeah, Also I wonder if air conditioning and Netflix were available back in the day whether washing your kingswood would have been a priority.

Cars are definitely just considered a personal tool now for most people, there is still 10% of peoe that might be “car people” but I think for most people they just want a car that’s ice to drive on their commute.

But plastics are hydrocarbons, currently mostly refined from fossil fuel products.
that will never do.
mick
I reckon eventually we will be sourcing long chain hydrocarbons from green hydrogen Combined with carbon dioxide from the air, at that point the plastics industrial complex could become a carbon sink. Because you would be pulling carbon out of the atmosphere, and putting it into plastics that take hundreds of years to breakdown.