• Already own one

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Yes - would definitely buy

Votes: 43 22.1%
  • Yes - preferred over petrol car if price/power/convenience similar

Votes: 78 40.0%
  • Maybe - preference for neither, only concerned with costs etc

Votes: 36 18.5%
  • No - prefer petrol car even if electric car has same price, power and convenience

Votes: 24 12.3%
  • No - would never buy one

Votes: 14 7.2%

• Total voters
Nothing to do with government, market forces.

The reason that EV sales are pitiful here so far is because other governments have introduced vehicle efficiency and emission standards that favour EV's while our government has been dragging their feet.

Nothing to do with government, market forces.
i know I am in the minority here, but EVs are going to keep dropping to below the cost of petrol cars which will mark the big change over.
They will become more like fridges as they are much easier to build and there is less technology. As a result there will be a glut of sellers eventually, think flat screen TV.

Future cars will be about fashion and trends. Companies will have trouble retaining the present sales margins.
I agree , and they will become disposable like the ebike and escooter, EV "vespas" in China but will need a different battery tech for that to happen, not the current inherently expensive lithium based ones.
You will throw them away every 5y or so like your phones
An absolute horror environmentally LOL

I agree , and they will become disposable like the ebike and escooter, EV "vespas" in China but will need a different battery tech for that to happen, not the current inherently expensive lithium based ones.
You will throw them away every 5y or so like your phones
An absolute horror environmentally LOL
There are major battery recycling facilities being built, but yea.

There are major battery recycling facilities being built, but yea.
There is not much in a traditional car which is not recycled including the carbon emitted, but the coming EV cars will need to be lighter full of carbon fibre, fiberglass and plastic to compensate for the weight of the batteries...
And they will be all made in china or India/ Indonesia...an environmental and economic suicide based on the most aberrant non science for the profit of the fews and pushed by what poses as left..

There is not much in a traditional car which is not recycled including the carbon emitted, but the coming EV cars will need to be lighter full of carbon fibre, fiberglass and plastic to compensate for the weight of the batteries...
And they will be all made in china or India/ Indonesia...an environmental and economic suicide based on the most aberrant non science for the profit of the fews and pushed by what poses as left..
It's not politics, it's economics.
A colleague just came back from Kathmandu and the taxis are electric by choice.
Cheaper to run, soon will be cheaper to buy. Can't stop progress.

The reason that EV sales are pitiful here so far is because other governments have introduced vehicle efficiency and emission standards that favour EV's while our government has been dragging their feet.
Do our fuel refineries make fuel of a high enough quality for Euro 6 ? Just wondering, we have closed a lot of them.
The other thing is, they have to increase the cost of Ice cars to make EV's more price competitive, more strict emission and consumption rules will make the ICE dearer.
Affirmitive action in operation. ;)

From the article:
A few days before Christmas, the government announced a "vehicle emissions standard" that sounds similar to the proposed fuel efficiency standard, but is completely different.

When it comes into effect, the emissions standard may increase ICE car retail prices, and restrict what models are available.

All new cars, SUVs and light commercial vehicles introduced to Australia from December 2025 will have to meet a strict noxious emissions standard equivalent to what's already in place in Europe, "Euro 6d".

Existing models – the ones available now, or introduced before the end of 2025 – will have until 2028 to meet the standards.

These noxious emissions are different to the climate-change-causing carbon dioxide emissions to be addressed by the proposed fuel efficiency standards. They're the dirty, health-harming chemicals, such as oxides of nitrogen and sulphur, produced by burning fossil fuels.

When the standard was announced, there were reports it could see popular utes banned.

Many of the utes, four-wheel-drives, SUVs and performance cars sold in Australia do not meet the Euro 6d standard.

Longer term, ICE vehicle prices may go up, as manufacturers are forced to adopt new low-emissions technology.

So, when will EVs be as cheap to buy as their ICE equivalents?

Before the pandemic, the EV Council predicted this would happen by 2025.

That forecast has been pushed out to about 2028, Dr Whitehead said.

"We're expecting if we get a fuel efficiency standard in place in the next 12 months, it's possible to see price parity around 2028," he said.

But the future of EV prices really hinges on the the detail of the proposed fuel efficiency standard, he said.

"We understand the desire and need to get settings right, but we need to move forward," he said.

"We need government to come out, and come out quickly."

Last edited:
:2twocents
Finally got around to it and I've voted No. Why?
As a remote, regional dweller and even if Australia had the infrastructure in place, my main concerns in part include:
  • the downtime waiting for charging.
  • extreme temps. as experienced in our great country.
  • the environmental impact of:
    • EV production
    • recycling EV vehicles
  • safety
  • range
  • costs
    • building infrastructure (yes, we will all be paying for this "climate change" hoodwink)
    • charging costs (and how these will be manipulated to benefit the producers/providers)
No doubt charging costs will increase over time, this is just a given.
Was curious to know how much these are.
Charging costs in Oz

I came across MGUY Australia recently, an engineer, lawyer and Sydney YouTuber.
Here's a couple of his EV vids.

So yeah, not rushing out to get my grubby little hands on one of these "woke, make me feel good" EVs.

Now if you're talking Hydrogen, that's is a tech I am interested in.

So yeah, not rushing out to get my grubby little hands on one of these "woke, make me feel good" EVs.

You had me until the end :roflmao: Can't wait to show my car loving mate that has a 20 car collection that includes a Ferrari, Monaro's and drives an EV during the week and a RAM when on site.

I wouldn’t call EV sales pittiful, the Tesla Model Y is Australia‘s best selling car to private buyers.

Mycharg
As a remote, regional dweller and even if Australia had the infrastructure in place, my main concerns in part include:
    • EV production
    • recycling EV vehicles
  • safety
  • range
  • costs
    • building infrastructure (yes, we will all be paying for this "climate change" hoodwink)
    • charging costs (and how these will be manipulated to benefit the producers/providers)
Charging costs in Oz

• EV production
    • recycling EV vehicles
  • safety
  • range
  • costs
Charging costs in Oz

1, My charging costs are pretty fixed, I just charge from my solar panels at home, no one can put that price up. Equal to about 5 cents per litre.

2, in general Ev’s are better in cold weather than petrol cars, go back a couple of pages and see the two comparison videos I put up.

3, there is no real down time waiting for charging, you just plug in and walk away, however the average petrol car driver spends about 8 hours a year refilling their car.

4, Ev’s are better for the environment, as discussed many times on this thread.

I wouldn’t call EV sales pittiful, the Tesla Model Y is Australia‘s best selling car to private buyers.

Top ten cars​

2023 2022
1. Ford Ranger63,3561. Toyota HiLux64,391
2. Toyota HiLux61,1112. Ford Ranger47,479
3. Isuzu D-Max31,2023. Toyota RAV434,845
4. Toyota RAV429,6274. Mitsubishi Triton27,436
5. MG ZS29,2585. Mazda CX-527,062
6. Tesla Model Y28,7696. Toyota Corolla24,542
7. Toyota LandCruiser26,4497. Toyota LandCruiser24,542
8. Mistubishi Outlander24,2638. Isuzu D-Max24,336
9. Mazda CX-523,0839. MG ZS22,466
10. Hyundai Tucson21,22410. Hyundai i3021,166

Top ten cars​

2023 2022
Looking at the increase in sales of the MG, cost is obviously becoming a consideration in the small SUV space.

Tesla Model Y was Australia's best-selling new car with private buyers in 2023. Looks like people are doingtheir research and voting with their wallet.

The best-selling vehicle among private buyers in Australia in 2023 was electric.
The Tesla Model Y topped the charts, despite being the sixth best-selling vehicle overall and starting at $65,400 before on-road costs.
Tesla sold 28,769 Model Ys in Australia in 2023, with 20,577 of these – or 71.52 per cent – going to private buyers. It’s the first time an electric vehicle (EV) has topped the private sales charts.

1705462914490.png
1705462935356.png

Clever headline. ;)

Chinese car giant Great Wall Motors (GWM) has begun building electric cars at the former Holden Colorado ute factory in Thailand.
The first GWM Ora Good Cat – an electric hatchback sold as the GWM Ora in Australia – rolled off the Rayong, Thailand production line last week, which GWM claims makes it the first Chinese car maker to mass-manufacture electric vehicles outside of China.
GWM is yet to confirm if the Australian-market Ora – which became Australia’s cheapest electric vehicle with early 2024 discounts applied – will switch from its current China sourcing to Thailand.

The Holden Trailblazer (or Colorado 7) SUV, sold in Australia from 2012 to 2020, was also produced at the plant alongside several Chevrolet-badged vehicles for South-East Asian countries.
When it made the decision to exit right-hand-drive markets – and shut down Holden – GM sold the Rayong facility to GWM, including a vehicle assembly line, and an engine and transmission plant. The Chinese car maker commenced production of H6 Hybrid SUVs there in 2021.

The Chinese company has upgraded the line to build electric cars and says it has the capacity to build 120,000 vehicles annually.

The Thai GWM factory is located close to the car giant's battery supplier S-Volt, which completed a new factory at the end of 2023 north-west of Rayong in the town of Si Racha.
The S-Volt plant runs two production lines, one focused on producing modules for hybrid vehicles, and a separate line for battery packs destined for plug-in hybrid and fully-electric vehicles.

The coastal Rayong province includes many car factories and component manufacturers with a ready-made parts supply chain for car makers in the area.

The current Ford Ranger is produced for Australian showrooms in the area, with most other top-selling utes – including the Toyota HiLux, Isuzu D-Max, Mazda BT-50, Mitsubishi Triton and Nissan Navara – built in Thailand.
GWM will not be the only Chinese company building cars in Thailand for long.

Something doesn't seem to make sense with all this electric vehicle euphoria.

I don't understand why Australia's first charging station provider (Chargepoint) is shutting down their Australian outlets at the end of this month and returning to the USA.
Last March Albo gave Tritium the same confident blessing that he gave The Voice and that has had a similiar success in Australia as of December when it closed its doors and moved to the USA.

Evie charging stations have increased their fees twice in the last year and seem to be following the charge station path that the UK went a year or two earlier where the cost of 1kwh is now around Aud $1.42 and unless you have home charging ability it's now expensive.

Similiar to the UK those who rent or only have street parking as some Sydney residents are finding out is becoming an issue.

Just my fence sitting view atm :unsure:

Top ten cars​

2023 2022
That includes businesses, I said it’s number 1 to private buyers.