• Already own one

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Yes - would definitely buy

Votes: 43 22.1%
  • Yes - preferred over petrol car if price/power/convenience similar

Votes: 78 40.0%
  • Maybe - preference for neither, only concerned with costs etc

Votes: 36 18.5%
  • No - prefer petrol car even if electric car has same price, power and convenience

Votes: 24 12.3%
  • No - would never buy one

Votes: 14 7.2%

• Total voters
Indeed, if true and not twisted figures, they'd better do some research
As @mullokintyre showed, even using the most expensive charging at 73cents the running cost was still about 50% less than his diesel.

But even if you use an outside charger to top up, you probably started the day with a battery full of the cheap stuff from home, and only need to use the expense stuff to get back home.

There is not much in a traditional car which is not recycled including the carbon emitted, but the coming EV cars will need to be lighter full of carbon fibre, fiberglass and plastic to compensate for the weight of the batteries...
And they will be all made in china or India/ Indonesia...an environmental and economic suicide based on the most aberrant non science for the profit of the fews and pushed by what poses as left..
Do you have any stats backing that up that says the Tesla Y for example has more plastic or carbon fibre than the average car? Say a Toyota camry or something.

So why aren't businesses buying them?
Because businesses..and I am not talking councils, government agencies and not for profit on subsidies, but profit making private businesseS do their computation
EV to date are still more costly than equivalent ICE
Neither do you see Ferrari company cars ..but for the bosses😊

perhaps you need to revisit the data.
According to Auto expert
View attachment 169073

So it would seem that its about even in the ute market between private buyers and the business.

Mick
Perhaps you need to look at the data first before jumping in and saying I need to revisit it. Only 27% of ford rangers sold go to private market, hence why the model Y is the highest selling to private, despite only being 6th on the list.

the article listed below has all the stats.

I am saying in 2023 Tesla Y was the highest selling car to the private market.

(My point is just that ev sales aren’t pitiful, they are growing a lot and are the highest selling to private buyers, rumpole then quoted figures which include a lot of business vehicles)

https://www.maitlandmercury.com.au/...as-best-selling-new-car-with-private-buyers/#

IMG_0274.jpeg

Last edited:
Because businesses..and I am not talking councils, government agencies and not for profit on subsidies, but profit making private businesseS do their computation
EV to date are still more costly than equivalent ICE
Neither do you see Ferrari company cars ..but for the bosses😊
No, it’s just because there isn’t any EV utes yet, simple as that, it’s pretty much only the UTE category that is keeping business sales of EV’s lower.

Because they aren’t Utes, the top three selling models are utes.

come on mate, you should be able to filter the data better than that.
I'm not sure they would be viable.

I'm already overweight with the amount of **** I carry around, and an equivalent battery vehicle would already have a reduced GVM and reduced range.

Yes this can be re-engineered by manufacturers, but not without a substantively increased capital cost that sooner or later reduces your bottom line.

I love my battery setup for running power tools, it's the Ducks Nuts, but ICE for the ute aint gonna replaced anytime soon

I'm not sure they would be viable.
What do your mean? Are you saying electric Utes aren’t Viable? Have you not seen what’s been going on in the pickup truck market in the USA?

what makes you think they aren’t viable?

The ford lighting has been on sale for a while, there is also the rivian, and the Tesla cyber truck is ramping up deliveries, with 2,000,000 people having already paid deposits.

What do your mean? Are you saying electric Utes aren’t Viable? Have you not seen what’s been going on in the pickup truck market in the USA?

The ford lighting has been on sale for a while, there is also the rivian, and the Tesla cyber truck is ramping up deliveries, with 2,000,000 people having already paid deposits.

It depends on whether they are buying hype or performance.

We will see in a while whether the hype is justified.

It wasn’t that long ago that everyone thought Electric cars were just hype, now they dominate their class.

Well, sometimes consumers aren't necessarily discerning, they can be like cats and go for shiny new things and then find that they are not all that they are cracked up to be.

But, I'm happy to be proved wrong. If a large number of tradies swear by their electric utes when they have 100k km on the clock, that's fine by me.

We shall see.

The lightning has a poor range when you start adding weight and not available in Oz.

I need either a cab chassis or will have to pull a trailer, so not ideal. Then there is the capital cost as mentioned above, I don't want to pay well over 100k for a work ute.

My Hilux has done 400k carrying over a ton of crap around and has scarcely missed a beat.

Perhaps you need to look at the data first before jumping in and saying I need to revisit it. Only 27% of ford rangers sold go to private market, hence why the model Y is the highest selling to private, despite only being 6th on the list.

the article listed below has all the stats.

I am saying in 2023 Tesla Y was the highest selling car to the private market.

(My point is just that ev sales aren’t pitiful, they are growing a lot and are the highest selling to private buyers, rumpole then quoted figures which include a lot of business vehicles)

https://www.maitlandmercury.com.au/...as-best-selling-new-car-with-private-buyers/#

View attachment 169076
Define business...the Ford Rangers sold go to 1 man business (tradies), not business fleet..but irrelevant to the debate...no EV is bought by businesses based on actual life of asset cost because all EVs so far are costing more overall than ice.simple and çlear
But if you are an eco business, of course you are going to buy a Tesla and not a Ram.
It costs you more but that is marketing..

Well, sometimes consumers aren't necessarily discerning, they can be like cats and go for shiny new things and then find that they are not all that they are cracked up to be.

But, I'm happy to be proved wrong. If a large number of tradies swear by their electric utes when they have 100k km on the clock, that's fine by me.

We shall see.
As a consumer myself, I can say its the best car I have ever own, its not hype.

The lightning has a poor range when you start adding weight and not available in Oz.

I need either a cab chassis or will have to pull a trailer, so not ideal. Then there is the capital cost as mentioned above, I don't want to pay well over 100k for a work ute.

My Hilux has done 400k carrying over a ton of crap around and has scarcely missed a beat.
It has plenty of range to replace a bunch of the Utes in service, think about it if you are charging it each night and starting with a full range each morning it's much more range than the average Chippy, Sparky, Plumber, Concreter, landscaper, Tiler, washing machine repairer etc etc needs to get around town carrying out their duties, and thats where the majority of Utes are employed.

As for cost, you have to factor in the savings in fuel and maintenance, with Fuel costs equivalent to 5 cents/ Litre if you are charging using your home solar, or 45cents per litre if you charge at night you, and lower service costs you can earn back that capital cost.

Define business...the Ford Rangers sold go to 1 man business (tradies), not business fleet..but irrelevant to the debate...no EV is bought by businesses based on actual life of asset cost because all EVs so far are costing more overall than ice.simple and çlear
But if you are an eco business, of course you are going to buy a Tesla and not a Ram.

My business purchased a Tesla M3LR, for the purpose of learning from it and preparing our business for the change ahead. There is very little tax incentive in buying a sedan for a commercial business, my accountant keeps going on to me about buying a new dual cab Ute to minimise my tax.

The Tesla was purchased 3 years ago, we have traveled 47,919km with it, most of that has been country and interstate trips. Same tyres on it but coming close to having to replace. Total service cost in that time was $339.95, which included cabin filters (there are two), wiper blades, tyre rotation, and a warranty repair which was a creak in the front end when turning.

Total charging cost for the year was $1325.

IMG_3079.png

Last edited:

Yeah off course someone buying it for their 1 man plumbing business is still a business sale.
An EV is lower cost over its life than a petrol car, I have done the numbers on my own vehicle. I know people that use Teslas in their business, and not for any green marketing, they use them because they like them, they could use any car.

Something doesn't seem to make sense with all this electric vehicle euphoria.

I don't understand why Australia's first charging station provider (Chargepoint) is shutting down their Australian outlets at the end of this month and returning to the USA.
Last March Albo gave Tritium the same confident blessing that he gave The Voice and that has had a similiar success in Australia as of December when it closed its doors and moved to the USA.

Evie charging stations have increased their fees twice in the last year and seem to be following the charge station path that the UK went a year or two earlier where the cost of 1kwh is now around Aud $1.42 and unless you have home charging ability it's now expensive.

Similiar to the UK those who rent or only have street parking as some Sydney residents are finding out is becoming an issue.

Just my fence sitting view atm :unsure:

The whole economy is on a knifes edge.

Almost 1650 manufacturing and construction businesses have plunged into insolvency in just six months, with thousands of jobs under threat as companies move offshore and shut operations in response to rising power prices, supply chain pressures, labour shortages and high inflation.
Alcoa last week announced it was shutting its Kwinana refinery in Western Australia that employs 1100 workers. Cash-strapped fast-charging company Tritium in November announced it was closing its Brisbane factory with hundreds of jobs at risk. And homegrown confectionary brand Sara Lee in October entered into voluntary administration.
The January 10 ASIC insolvency statistics compare the first six months of the past three financial years and reveals an increase in distressed businesses in 2023-24. Across the first six months of 2021-22, 565 construction firms and 84 manufacturers entered external administration.
Spikes in business failures were also registered across the accommodation and food services, retail, transport, postal and warehousing, healthcare and social assistance, and professional, scientific and technical services sectors.