• Already own one

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Yes - would definitely buy

Votes: 43 22.1%
  • Yes - preferred over petrol car if price/power/convenience similar

Votes: 78 40.0%
  • Maybe - preference for neither, only concerned with costs etc

Votes: 36 18.5%
  • No - prefer petrol car even if electric car has same price, power and convenience

Votes: 24 12.3%
  • No - would never buy one

Votes: 14 7.2%

• Total voters
My business purchased a Tesla M3LR, for the purpose of learning from it and preparing our business for the change ahead. There is very little tax incentive in buying a sedan for a commercial business, my accountant keeps going on to me about buying a new dual cab Ute to minimise my tax.

The Tesla was purchased 3 years ago, we have traveled 47,919km with it, most of that has been country and interstate trips. Same tyres on it but coming close to having to replace. Total service cost in that time was $339.95, which included cabin filters (there are two), wiper blades, tyre rotation, and a warranty repair which was a creak in the front end when turning.

Total charging cost for the year was $1325.

View attachment 169123
And you spent what $30k $40k on purchase vs ice equivalent, at 5% return or 8% credit the last 3 years...
You did not saved money that is for sure but ok, you bought it..because you were curious and why not...
Anyone telling me that so far and till 2024 he is buying an EV to save money is a joke and should go back to do a math cursus..
After, as I said multiple times, you can have plenty of other reasons but saving money is not one

The whole economy is on a knifes edge.

Almost 1650 manufacturing and construction businesses have plunged into insolvency in just six months, with thousands of jobs under threat as companies move offshore and shut operations in response to rising power prices, supply chain pressures, labour shortages and high inflation.
Alcoa last week announced it was shutting its Kwinana refinery in Western Australia that employs 1100 workers. Cash-strapped fast-charging company Tritium in November announced it was closing its Brisbane factory with hundreds of jobs at risk. And homegrown confectionary brand Sara Lee in October entered into voluntary administration.
The January 10 ASIC insolvency statistics compare the first six months of the past three financial years and reveals an increase in distressed businesses in 2023-24. Across the first six months of 2021-22, 565 construction firms and 84 manufacturers entered external administration.
Spikes in business failures were also registered across the accommodation and food services, retail, transport, postal and warehousing, healthcare and social assistance, and professional, scientific and technical services sectors.
In response also to "decarbonisation" penalties and taxes/screwing of our power grid..for exporting bigger businesses...
That CO2 scam has a cost, so let's at least separate EV debate from that.
As the country goes down the drain, it seems the AUD is following so that could give us some relief..but that means EVs are going to be even dearer in AUD terms...

And you spent what $30k $40k on purchase vs ice equivalent, at 5% return or 8% credit the last 3 years...
You did not saved money that is for sure but ok, you bought it..because you were curious and why not...
Anyone telling me that so far and till 2024 he is buying an EV to save money is a joke and should go back to do a math cursus..
After, as I said multiple times, you can have plenty of other reasons but saving money is not one
I am not even sure there is an ICE equivalent, the is just so many life style benefits to my Model 3 that I don’t think there is a real equivalent I could buy for less.

——————

But yeah there are cheaper cars, but let’s say I could have purchased something for $20 K cheaper, if I had that capital earning 5% that’s $530 of earnings after tax per year.

But, I have averaged driving 12,500 km / year that would require $1,500 petrol, but I only actually spent about $250 on electricity, so it’s saved me $1,250 per year in petrol + $780 per year in servicing.

so it’s saving me $2,030 per year rather than just $530 of after tax earnings, $1,500 more

And That’s just my small usage, some one that commuted to work every day doing more kilometres would have even more savings.

savings are even bigger if your driving is a tax deduction, due to being able to claim using the per kilometre method, you get the same deduction as a petrol car, even though your running costs are far lower.

I don't think anyone that buys a Tesla model anything is really interested in saving money or saving the planet. It's because you can afford it and you like the damn thing, a w@nkmobile.

I wouldn't be against buying a Tesla but it would not be for the above reasons, it would be because I like the car and technology, and it goes like the powers of p155.

My personal w@nkmobile is a Range Rover, for lifestyle reasons.... Just to show that I am not personally against w@nkmobiles as such. :laugh:

I recall being mocked on this thread for raising this as a threat..
An EV battery fire is very hard to extinguish.

Electric vehicle fires: The little-known but terrifying reality about EV batteries - after one from an MG caused a blaze that destroyed five cars and a Tesla burst into flames
Published: 02:04 AEDT, 17 September 2023
Link: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12516565/Electric-vehicle-battery-fire.html

Fires sparked from lithium-ion batteries found in popular items like e-bikes, e-scooters and electric vehicles are on the rise - with two cars bursting into flames on the same day this week.

And a well-placed source said fire brigades across Australia were 'very concerned' they would continue to increase as the use of lithium-ion batteries soars.

'What we do know, is there will be more fires,' the source said, noting that the fumes from a battery fire were far more toxic than those of a standard one...

.....Firefighters were called to a carpark at Sydney Airport on Monday to find five cars had become burnt-out wrecks.

The lithium battery, which had been detached from an MG ZS EV, was identified as the cause of the blaze in the Airport Drive parking lot in Mascot.

Meanwhile on the same night in Penrose, in NSW's Southern Highlands, a Tesla Model 3 caught alight after being struck by the tail shaft of a truck in front of it.

Firefighters from the Penrose Rural Fire Brigade luckily managed to extinguish the blaze....

I don't think anyone that buys a Tesla model anything is really interested in saving money or saving the planet. It's because you can afford it and you like the damn thing, a w@nkmobile.

I wouldn't be against buying a Tesla but it would not be for the above reasons, it would be because I like the car and technology, and it goes like the powers of p155.

My personal w@nkmobile is a Range Rover, for lifestyle reasons.... Just to show that I am not personally against w@nkmobiles as such. :laugh:
Yeah, ofcourse I agree, people get them because they like them and they are great life style cars.

but all I am really pointing out is that they aren’t really as expensive as they first seem because of the savings that accumulate over their useful life, it’s not the main reason to buy one, but it’s one of the real side benefits.

the Difference in price between an EV and a petrol car should be paid back to you on savings, which means all the added lifestyle benefits are just free.

I recall being mocked on this thread for raising this as a threat..
An EV battery fire is very hard to extinguish.
I think everyone understands that batteries can catch fire, so no one would mock you for that.

but, they may mock you for being overly worried about batteries while you drive around in a petrol car that is a far greater fire risk.

Yeah, ofcourse I agree, people get them because they like them and they are great life style cars.

but all I am really pointing out is that they aren’t really as expensive as they first seem because of the savings that accumulate over their useful life, it’s not the main reason to buy one, but it’s one of the real side benefits.

the Difference in price between an EV and a petrol car should be paid back to you on savings, which means all the added lifestyle benefits are just free.

It is the function of my age and upbringing... I can understand the Tesla, refinement, performance etc, what gives me a tingling in my loins.

I have to look for the Tesla badge to figure out if it is a Tesla or some generic Chinese or Japanese brand.

Give me a Shelby cobra, or a Jaguar E-Type. Nowhere near the refinement and probably not even the performance, but that v8, that lumpy cam that struggles to idle, the engine note, the look, totally shi77ing yourself as you dump the accelerator and lose traction, totally inadequate brakes.

This is when you know you're alive.

The Tesla would make me feel like the old fart that I actually am.

It is the function of my age and upbringing... I can understand the Tesla, refinement, performance etc, what gives me a tingling in my loins.

I have to look for the Tesla badge to figure out if it is a Tesla or some generic Chinese or Japanese brand.

Give me a Shelby cobra, or a Jaguar E-Type. Nowhere near the refinement and probably not even the performance, but that v8, that lumpy cam that struggles to idle, the engine note, the look, totally shi77ing yourself as you dump the accelerator and lose traction, totally inadequate brakes.

This is when you know you're alive.

Check out this Joe Rogan video at the 11.30 mark, after talking about Ferraris and muscle cars for 11.30 they start talking about how much they love their Tesla’s now. It shows you don’t have to be one side or the other, you can just enjoy both style of cars for what they are.

But, for its hard to beat a Tesla when it comes to being a fun car to drive, that is also just a practical, low maintenance work horse for your family.

Check out this Joe Rogan video at the 11.30 mark, after talking about Ferraris and muscle cars for 11.30 they start talking about how much they love their Tesla’s now. It shows you don’t have to be one side or the other, you can just enjoy both style of cars for what they are.

But, for its hard to beat a Tesla when it comes to being a fun car to drive, that is also just a practical, low maintenance work horse for your family.

If the Tesla Model 3 Performance (0-100 km/h in 3.3 seconds) was a 2 door sports car with a nice supercar style body, a would buy one tomorrow.

If the Tesla Model 3 Performance (0-100 km/h in 3.3 seconds) was a 2 door sports car with a nice supercar style body, a would buy one tomorrow.
the model 3 is designed to feel like a sports car, but still be practical to pick the kids up from school and bring the groceries home.

maybe put your name on the list for the Tesla Roadster If you want a sports car, it will do 0-100 In 1.9 seconds.

IMG_0295.jpeg

Yeah, but won't come with the Model 3 price tag.
No, it’s a bit more. But much cheaper than the other sports cars in its class, and faster too.

I think it is going to sell for around $250,000 US, but performs like a $3,000,000 Bugatti.

when they talk about 0-60 in the videos below, they are talking miles.

Last edited:
From WSJ
View attachment 169160
All the car makers who make EV's are in this, but for Tesla, its partucularly beneficial.
from Carbon Credits

View attachment 169161
View attachment 169162
Mick

Yep, I but it's also important to realise that the income that is coming through teslas door from the carbon credits is not coming from the government, its coming from other Automakers. To sell Cars in the USA now you need to produce a certain amount of emissions free vehicles, or vehicles with super high mileage. for example if you want to sell 50 Diesel pickups you might also have to sell an EV or Hybrid.

So Automakers have two options

1, Build and sell Ev's or hybrids themselves, some even just produce a loss making "Compliance car", earring carbon credits in just enough numbers, to offset their gas guzzlers.

or

2, They can partner with another manufacturer like Tesla, and buy the additional credits Tesla has generated by only selling EV's.

It's basically a way of forcing Automakers to make the shift, or at least make them subsidise their competitors that are making the shift.

---------------------------------------------

Also, these Carbon credit payments do not represent nearly as much of Teslas actually operating earnings as the Article states, because the reported profit is much lower than the actual profit due to the fact that Tesla has been building 3 new factories recently, which means a lot of investment costs for these new factories gets expensed, plus a lot of depreciation which makes the profit for the past few years look smaller than it really is, so saying 29% of their profit is from carbon credits is not really accurate.

My 48 y.o. son with his 1956 V8 Chev and yours truly with my most favourite car ever (nearly 70 years of car ownership). Even a busted knee cap couldn't stop me from enjoying the later drag. I won't brag any further.

Attachments

• IMG_2502 2.jpeg
    IMG_2502 2.jpeg
    415.2 KB · Views: 11