• Already own one

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Yes - would definitely buy

Votes: 43 22.1%
  • Yes - preferred over petrol car if price/power/convenience similar

Votes: 78 40.0%
  • Maybe - preference for neither, only concerned with costs etc

Votes: 36 18.5%
  • No - prefer petrol car even if electric car has same price, power and convenience

Votes: 24 12.3%
  • No - would never buy one

Votes: 14 7.2%

• Total voters
Because if you don't standardise a payment method, the companies will all keep their individual ones to protect their market share, but that just means people are more open to being scammed as each of your apps can be hacked.
If paying for charging the E.V is just the same as tap and go paying on any eftpos machine, then to a certain degree, the finance provider is responsible for the security of the transaction not individual.
But why even the need for an app, you pay via cc, all good

That’s what we are saying, for some reason most of the current charging stations require you to sign up to that company’s app before charging it’s silly.

Atleast with Tesla you just plug in, no need to even tap a card.

An American article not much use here in OZ.
I had no choice in the charge place in the Mornington Peninsula.
Two charge places were fully occupied. The Bp was the only one available.
Its. Pain in thr butt.
Mick

Sorry to hear. What brand EV do you have?

I was lucky enough to spend the Easter long weekend at Sorrento Mornington Peninsula using our M3 LR, our accommodation had charging facilities, which I chose for that reason.

The app is required for stopping starting and I use it to monitor to see if the car is still charging and how much has gone into the battery etc.
It's quite handy if you leave the car to go shopping, to be able to see when it has enough, then you can return take it off and free it up for other people. I don't mind the app, you can then keep track of how much each provider has cost etc, but to pay for it and start it could be easily made tap and go I would have thought.

The Tesla app is the car key, but not required. Just makes life easier not carryng or having to remember a key. The Tesla doesn't require an app to charge at a Tesla charging station, the car and station link together, just need a valid bank account.

The app is required for stopping starting and I use it to monitor to see if the car is still charging and how much has gone into the battery etc.
It's quite handy if you leave the car to go shopping, to be able to see when it has enough, then you can return take it off and free it up for other people. I don't mind the app, you can then keep track of how much each provider has cost etc, but to pay for it and start it could be easily made tap and go I would have thought.
I would have thought this would, not to say should be part of your car connectivity.

Because if you don't standardise a payment method, the companies will all keep their individual ones to protect their market share, but that just means people are more open to being scammed as each of your apps can be hacked.
Yep. I'd much rather a standard form of payment - credit card, cash or whatever not something special.

Same as I avoid shopping online anywhere that insists on setting up an account. Nope, I don't want an account for a one off purchase, just sell me the item that's it. :2twocents

Yep. I'd much rather a standard form of payment - credit card, cash or whatever not something special.

Same as I avoid shopping online anywhere that insists on setting up an account. Nope, I don't want an account for a one off purchase, just sell me the item that's it. :2twocents
I just got back from the UK, and over there you need an app to park in some parking lots, which is a bit annoying, especially because different companies run different parking lots.

I just got back from the UK, and over there you need an app to park in some parking lots, which is a bit annoying, especially because different companies run different parking lots.
It's one area where government regulation is justified in my view.

It'll be a real nuisance when someone can't charge or even park their car in order to go to the shop and buy a replacement phone because theirs died, for example, or because the network is down or because they simply don't want a smartphone in the first place. :2twocents

I just insured the Tesla Model 3, full comprehensive for $1,039 without really shopping around.

I think your insurer is trying to take you for a ride.

Still, I can do third party for like $300, so I weighing up the merits of just putting the additional $700 saving into my car replacement fund, and just self insuring.

Welcome back :whistling: hows the cash economy :sneaky:

Welcome back :whistling: hows the cash economy :sneaky:
Thanks,

Not sure, I don’t really use cash 😅, I actually just got back from the UK, I took £200 cash with me, still had it at the end of the holiday, and struggled to get rid of it, ended up just paying the hotel room service charge with it, and donated the change at the airport. I find cash annoying and expensive.

From time to time, I like to bring a bit of sciences and real world in the leftist fairyland.
This time about faster and faster recharge of EV to match petrol/diesel cars
I will delegate the answers to my ..biased ..question to the other members and if Monsieur @Smurf1976 has the time?, he can offer an hopefully unchallenged answer
Knowing a top Tesla 3 battery is 83kwh, to recharge it by 80% requires 65kwh
All agree?
To match a 5 minutes petrol tank refuel, you then need to charge at (actually above) 65*60/5 so 916kwh.
So over 1megawatt needs to be provided in these 5minutes
Voltage being 400V we need a current of 2500amp.
Calculator attached

Remember your normal home plugs are 10 or 15 Amp.your big oven less than 50amp.
The question is then:
If you want to recharge at 80% a Tesla 3 equivalent in the future in 5 minutes:
How big are the copper cables (2) at what 5 meters going to be?
And if so , is the concept of plug in ever be able to quick charge an EV..
This post inspired by the amount of rubbish I can read about EV right and left
I do not even consider power availability. Etc etc
And I am not an Australian electrical engineer so I might be wrong, who knows..

From time to time, I like to bring a bit of sciences and real world in the leftist fairyland.
I will delegate the answers to my ..biased ..question to the other members and if Monsieur @Smurf1976 has the time?, he can offer an hopefully unchallenged answer
All agree?
To match a 5 minutes petrol tank refuel, you then need to charge at (actually above) 65*60/5 so 916kwh.
Calculator attached

The question is then:

Understood.

However, why would anyone want to charge their EV to 80% in 5 minutes at home?

The idea of charging at home is the convenience, and to not be reliant on imported oil and fuel.

My wife uses the Tesla M3 90% of the time, she drives to work and back. At home the M3 is plugged in every second or third day to charge overnight. When we travel long distance we use the Tesla Superchargers, which are very fast and usually done by the time we have had a toilet break, ordered a coffee.

Last Friday night we drove the Tesla with 70% charge and traveled 170km to our holiday apartment, where I plugged in for an overnight charge with the 16A charger only taking about 3 hours. Monday evening, we drove home with a 95% charge and my wife has driven it every day without charging. As the photo shows, the current charge is at 28%. We will charge it tonight, though being a 10A outlet we will only get to about 60%, but that's OK because the following day the charge will be about 55% and we will plug it in again to bring it to about 80% which is where we leave it. I only charge to 100% for long distance drives, 300kms plus.

Attachments

• IMG_2351.jpeg
    IMG_2351.jpeg
    100.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
All agree?
Calculator attached

The question is then:
It depends on your house, but most consumer mains are 60 amp single phase.
I have a 32amp (7kW) single phase outlet at both houses and have a charger that can charge at 8, 15, 10, 25 and 32 amp, as John says it depends on how you use the vehicle, to how much charge you need, plus it also depends on the vehicle how fast a charge it can take.
I've never found I needed anything faster than what I have for my usage, my car can only take a max of about 74kW from memory, but it has a 400v architecture, the new ones are 800v so take a faster charge.
As I've said before the EV isn't for everyone, but I've found it no problems so far and I've done 14,000km in the year I've owned it and I've spent about $30 on charging, most of it on one long trip.
Everyone to their own I guess, but would I buy another ICE car, probably not as I don't need anything more than the E.V provides.

All agree?
Calculator attached

The question is then:
Well the simple answer is you don’t need to match the speed petrol.

firstly home charging doesn’t need to be fast, over night is fine.

Secondly, there are a few points with public fast charging you are missing.

1, most often you don’t need to go to 100% at a public charger, because you will be charging at home, so you might only need to add 20% charge just to get home, which take about 5 or 10 minutes anyway.

2, on a road trip where you want to charge to say 80% to continue your journey that only takes about 15mins, which is about the time the guy with the petrol car takes to fill, pay go to toilet, grab a coffee etc. the electric guy does all those human body things while the car charges, he doesn’t have to monitor it.

Because you don’t own an EV yet, you probably don’t understand that it’s a completely different system, you don’t often run an EV to zero and then charge it to 100% at a public charge infact I have never done that.

I just plug in at home and on road trips stop every now and then and charge while I pee or grab a bite, I never charge to 100% on road trips, unless I happen to be getting lunch or something and it gets to 100% by chance.

You just put in enough for a few hours of driving and by then some one in your car will want to stretch their legs so you stop and charge for another 15 mins.