• Already own one

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Yes - would definitely buy

Votes: 43 22.1%
  • Yes - preferred over petrol car if price/power/convenience similar

Votes: 78 40.0%
  • Maybe - preference for neither, only concerned with costs etc

Votes: 36 18.5%
  • No - prefer petrol car even if electric car has same price, power and convenience

Votes: 24 12.3%
  • No - would never buy one

Votes: 14 7.2%

• Total voters
Just got a renewal notice from Alianz for the BYD Electric car.
First years premium as $850.
Todays renewal price $2069.
Now thats what i call inflation!
Now have to start the call around to other insurance companies to find a cheaper rate.
Mick
I just insured the Tesla Model 3, full comprehensive for $1,039 without really shopping around.

I think your insurer is trying to take you for a ride.

Still, I can do third party for like $300, so I weighing up the merits of just putting the additional $700 saving into my car replacement fund, and just self insuring.

RACV came in at 850, so the boss shifted the policy to RACV.
Wonder if it will leap next year like Alianz did?
Mick
Just got a renewal notice from Alianz for the BYD Electric car.
First years premium as $850.
Todays renewal price $2069.
Now thats what i call inflation!
Now have to start the call around to other insurance companies to find a cheaper rate.
Mick
Mick I think it's called "we don't want your business"

Aussie designed H2 fuel cell prime mover.

• Pure Hydrogen’s Australian-designed Taurus hydrogen fuel cell prime mover now available for sale
  • The Taurus is also the first HFC powered prime mover in Australia
  • New vehicle could transform Australian long haul transportation
Special Report: Pure Hydrogen has hit a major milestone with its Australian designed hydrogen fuel cell powered prime mover, the Taurus, now available for sale.

Another reason why electric vehicles may struggle to get mainstream usage.
I have just added my eighth different charge payment ap to my phone.
The annoying thing is, its the new BP pulse charge payment ap, when I already had the BP payment ap for diesel/petrol on my phone.
Pain in the butt.
I wish the guvmint would mandate a single payment ap for all charging to be used as of some future date.
Guess that would be too hard for them.
Mick

The annoying thing is, its the new BP pulse charge payment ap, when I already had the BP payment ap for diesel/petrol on my phone.
Pain in the butt.
I wish the guvmint would mandate a single payment ap for all charging to be used as of some future date.
Mick
I honestly don’t get why we need these payment apps. Any one should be able to just pull up to a charge station tap a credit card and charge.

Pain in the butt.
Mick

Why don’t you choose a couple of favourites? I have had an EV for 3 & a half years, travelled the country with it and got away 2 apps and the Tesla app.

Electric Vehicle Charging Apps

Buying a fully electric vehicle presents a whole new world of possibilities, like never needing to pump a single gallon of fuel. And EVs can travel longer distances on a single charge than ever before, which raises many questions, like where and how to charge your electric vehicle beyond your home or office. This is where charging apps come to the rescue……, xx

How to Pick an App

The answer starts with where you live and the electric car you drive. This holds true with any electric vehicle, no matter the manufacturer. It’s wise to use an app affiliated with public stations where you plan on doing the majority of your driving. The electric car you drive likely offers an available app specific to the vehicle or the manufacturer’s lineup of EVs. That’s a great starting point, though browsing charging apps that make the most sense for your driving needs is a smart idea.

Downloading several apps can be helpful. Some might prefer the user interface of one app over another, even if they both offer nearly identical pros and cons. and provide valuable information when traveling away from home.

The best charging apps not only let you find nearby EV charging stations, but they also provide information related to charging speed, current rates, and availability. They also list routes that factor in points to recharge during extended drives and whether the station is compatible with your electric vehicle.

If you plan on relying on a specific charging network like ChargePoint, then you’ll definitely want to add those apps on your smartphone. PlugShare can also be helpful because it easily aggregates all the networks and allows the user to see the locations of each type of charger, plan trips, and more. Read more below for specifics.

It’s best to plan your trips when you head farther afield because the network could be different than the one in your local area. There are some networks that have strong regional presence, and their app may be helpful if you are traveling to that area. The more apps at your disposal, the easier the access when you’re on the go. You’ll stay better informed if any curveballs occur during your travels.

Also, know the charger and plug connector type your EV requires and factor this into your decision. Many charging apps cover all types of chargers. So, all an EV driver needs to do is filter out the ones suitable for their vehicle.

Some Apps to Consider

Electric car owners will find plenty of choices regarding charging app, which is good because not one single app works perfectly for every scenario. Please know the list below is not intended as an endorsement, nor should this list be considered the only apps worth looki

Some of you Tesla owners have had your cars for a while now. Any problems or annoyances?

A couple come straight to mind. When I overtake on single lane roads the lane departure warning gives me the sheep, I’ll have to go to settings and see if I can adjust it.
The other thing is over the air updates, for the Tesla & phone app. I like the idea of regular updates because they include improvements, but sometimes they change a minor thing like the position of the tyre pressure icon to a different spot.

I’ll have a think and post properly from my computer, at the moment I’m on my phone.

Electric Vehicle Charging Apps

Buying a fully electric vehicle presents a whole new world of possibilities, like never needing to pump a single gallon of fuel. And EVs can travel longer distances on a single charge than ever before, which raises many questions, like where and how to charge your electric vehicle beyond your home or office. This is where charging apps come to the rescue……, xx

How to Pick an App

The answer starts with where you live and the electric car you drive. This holds true with any electric vehicle, no matter the manufacturer. It’s wise to use an app affiliated with public stations where you plan on doing the majority of your driving. The electric car you drive likely offers an available app specific to the vehicle or the manufacturer’s lineup of EVs. That’s a great starting point, though browsing charging apps that make the most sense for your driving needs is a smart idea.

Downloading several apps can be helpful. Some might prefer the user interface of one app over another, even if they both offer nearly identical pros and cons. and provide valuable information when traveling away from home.

The best charging apps not only let you find nearby EV charging stations, but they also provide information related to charging speed, current rates, and availability. They also list routes that factor in points to recharge during extended drives and whether the station is compatible with your electric vehicle.

If you plan on relying on a specific charging network like ChargePoint, then you’ll definitely want to add those apps on your smartphone. PlugShare can also be helpful because it easily aggregates all the networks and allows the user to see the locations of each type of charger, plan trips, and more. Read more below for specifics.

It’s best to plan your trips when you head farther afield because the network could be different than the one in your local area. There are some networks that have strong regional presence, and their app may be helpful if you are traveling to that area. The more apps at your disposal, the easier the access when you’re on the go. You’ll stay better informed if any curveballs occur during your travels.

Also, know the charger and plug connector type your EV requires and factor this into your decision. Many charging apps cover all types of chargers. So, all an EV driver needs to do is filter out the ones suitable for their vehicle.

Some Apps to Consider

Electric car owners will find plenty of choices regarding charging app, which is good because not one single app works perfectly for every scenario. Please know the list below is not intended as an endorsement, nor should this list be considered the only apps worth looki
An American article not much use here in OZ.
I had no choice in the charge place in the Mornington Peninsula.
Two charge places were fully occupied. The Bp was the only one available.
Its. Pain in thr butt.
Mick

An American article not much use here in OZ.
I had no choice in the charge place in the Mornington Peninsula.
Two charge places were fully occupied. The Bp was the only one available.
Its. Pain in thr butt.
Mick
I think VC's idea of just tapping the credit card is a good one, in Singapore the MRT works that way now and it works great, you don't have to chase a ticket machine or try and work out how to use it.
It would be brilliant if the Govt made it a standard on EV chargers, use the app, or tap and go.

It would be brilliant if the Govt made it a standard on EV chargers, use the app, or tap and go.

And I wonder how long before this happens to said apps?

Strewth life is getting more difficult in some ways as technology progresses. There is no going back of course. That just ain't going to happen.

And I wonder how long before this happens to said apps?

Strewth life is getting more difficult in some ways as technology progresses. There is no going back of course. That just ain't going to happen.
Yes there is a scam going on with Booking.com, you receive a message through Booking.coms messaging platform from a hotel you have booked, they supply a link and tell you that your credit card details require updating or you will lose the booking.
It is very well done and would fool quite a lot of people, I tend to just delete anything that has an embedded link, then log in to my account and check the details there.
But as you say, they are getting cleverer and cleverer and with the advent of AI, I would expect more sophisticated scams to arrive as AI develops, humans are limited by personal experience, AI is only limited by how much info is fed into the data base and that info can come from everyone and everywhere it can be scanned in, transferred in, uploaded, downloaded the input is limitless .

I think VC's idea of just tapping the credit card is a good one, in Singapore the MRT works that way now and it works great, you don't have to chase a ticket machine or try and work out how to use it.
Why ohh why always ask for the government..anything involving a government will create a department, which once any potentially legitimate task is completed will build a hot air process factory and pump up regulation standards etc and nauseum to ensure they can retire in 20y in their position ...
Arrrrrggg,

Why ohh why always ask for the government..anything involving a government will create a department, which once any potentially legitimate task is completed will build a hot air process factory and pump up regulation standards etc and nauseum to ensure they can retire in 20y in their position ...
Arrrrrggg,
Because if you don't standardise a payment method, the companies will all keep their individual ones to protect their market share, but that just means people are more open to being scammed as each of your apps can be hacked.
If paying for charging the E.V is just the same as tap and go paying on any eftpos machine, then to a certain degree, the finance provider is responsible for the security of the transaction not individual.

Some of you Tesla owners have had your cars for a while now. Any problems or annoyances?
Into my 5th year in the model 3, still loving it.

The 12volt battery finally died, a warning came up on the screen in the car saying it recommended replacing it, so booked in a Tesla mobile service through the app and he came out and replaced it.

Cost $160, which I know I could have got a cheaper battery from some other mobile battery company, but I thought I would just stick with Tesla, we also replaced the power cable to the rear lights under warranty at the same time, apparently there was an issue with the 2019 model cable so they replace them when you get a service call, so was happy with that.

So far that’s the only maintenance I have had to do in 4+ years.

Into my 5th year in the model 3, still loving it.

The 12volt battery finally died, a warning came up on the screen in the car saying it recommended replacing it, so booked in a Tesla mobile service through the app and he came out and replaced it.

Cost $160, which I know I could have got a cheaper battery from some other mobile battery company, but I thought I would just stick with Tesla, we also replaced the power cable to the rear lights under warranty at the same time, apparently there was an issue with the 2019 model cable so they replace them when you get a service call, so was happy with that.

So far that’s the only maintenance I have had to do in 4+ years.
How many km have you done VC? Just from interest point of view.