• Already own one

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Yes - would definitely buy

Votes: 43 22.1%
  • Yes - preferred over petrol car if price/power/convenience similar

Votes: 78 40.0%
  • Maybe - preference for neither, only concerned with costs etc

Votes: 36 18.5%
  • No - prefer petrol car even if electric car has same price, power and convenience

Votes: 24 12.3%
  • No - would never buy one

Votes: 14 7.2%

• Total voters
Just some info I came across regarding the electric powered ship being built by Incat in Tasmania for an overseas customer.

Vessel carries up to 2100 passengers and 225 cars, speed 25 knots. Customer is Buquebus who'll be operating it between Argentina and Uraquay.

Battery capacity on board is a bit over 40 MWh which makes it the largest ship-based system worldwide by a considerable margin.

Also apparently the chargers will also be the largest anywhere in the world for charging an EV of any sort, though I don't have an actual figure for their power rating. :2twocents

Just some info I came across regarding the electric powered ship being built by Incat in Tasmania for an overseas customer.

Vessel carries up to 2100 passengers and 225 cars, speed 25 knots. Customer is Buquebus who'll be operating it between Argentina and Uraquay.

Battery capacity on board is a bit over 40 MWh which makes it the largest ship-based system worldwide by a considerable margin.

Also apparently the chargers will also be the largest anywhere in the world for charging an EV of any sort, though I don't have an actual figure for their power rating. :2twocents
I wouldn't want to be around if that got thermal runaway. :rolleyes:

I am really interested in this.
Can we make sure we follow up on this.all the telltale sign of a white elephant IMHO...
Why ohh why

Can we make sure we follow up on this.all the telltale sign of a white elephant IMHO...
Why ohh why
I don't know what circumstances exist for the purchaser (Buquebus) but the original intent was to use LNG as the fuel source, later changed to electric.

Incat has built several ferries for Buquebus over the years, the rest being conventional internal combustion (diesel or LNG) powered however.

Incat company video (generic and not specific to this particular vessel):

The uploader is a total tool.
A six year old knows more about EVs than this so called "realist". He ranks behind John Cadogan locally and even bigger tossers posting on YouTube from the UK.
While media - which gets SFA revenue from the renewables sector - is on a bender to crucify EVs at every opportunity, anyone who read Hertz CEO Stephen Scherr's earnings call statement would have worked out many things that were completely opposite to what was presented or implied:
  • First, the EV component loss was not from (what we typically call) rentals, as it was instead from their "ride share" arm (to Uber and Lyft drivers)
  • an outcome from the first point was that rental drivers were considerably less likely to be involved in an accident, contrary to what was implied
  • Hertz did not adequately re-insure their ride-share arm
  • the ride-share arm was predominantly from its Tesla fleet where:
    • price cuts led to higher depreciation
    • lesser price recovery on sale
    • and higher accident repair costs
  • finally, Hertz' CEO said that had their entire fleet been EV rather than mixed, their profit would have been greater than it was:
    • "Taking account of the impact on depreciation, collision and damage and RPU relating to our EV fleet, we estimate that had our fleet in Q3 been similarly sized but comprised solely of ICE vehicles our EBITDA margin would have been several margin points higher."
As a result Hertz is continuing its strategy to move its entire fleet to EVs.

It was instructive to notice how many media outlets incorrectly reported on Hertz' earnings, and the greater number still who subsequently relied on errors of fact, and wove these into false premises bordering on outright lies.

Why ohh why
The company making the ferry's battery has over 10 years experience putting them into ships, and in 2015 actually did this:
1699312850449.png
Furthermore, to solve @sptrawler's TR worries Corvus developed:
1699313075236.png
Anyone wanting to know more about the Incat ferry's battery can find it at the Corvus website.
Interestingly, Corvus is working with Toyota on Hydrogen projects, so while many in the BEV camp think hydrogen is a dead loss as an idea, its price metrics and technology continue to improve significantly. It's a bit like the idea of adding rooftop solar 20 years ago when not a lot was going for it.

The company making the ferry's battery has over 10 years experience putting them into ships, and in 2015 actually did this:
View attachment 165351
Furthermore, to solve @sptrawler's TR worries Corvus developed:
View attachment 165352
Anyone wanting to know more about the Incat ferry's battery can find it at the Corvus website.
Interestingly, Corvus is working with Toyota on Hydrogen projects, so while many in the BEV camp think hydrogen is a dead loss as an idea, its price metrics and technology continue to improve significantly. It's a bit like the idea of adding rooftop solar 20 years ago when not a lot was going for it.
Yes, I've been in a hydrogen taxi in Paris and a battery electric ferry in Norway, both are in service and operated fine. Lol

Yes, I've been in a hydrogen taxi in Paris and a battery electric ferry in Norway, both are in service and operated fine. Lol

Any idea where they got the hydrogen from?

Any idea where they got the hydrogen from?
No I asked the driver if there was any problems filling up, he said it wasn't a problem, he spoke pretty good English for a guy from Senegal.
In the post it said that there was a fleet of hydrogen taxis deployed in Paris, as a joint business between Toyota a taxi company and I think liquid air.
I saw quite a few when walking, all Toyota's

From the master himself
  • finally, Hertz' CEO said that had their entire fleet been EV rather than mixed, their profit would have been greater than it was:
    • "Taking account of the impact on depreciation, collision and damage and RPU relating to our EV fleet, we estimate that had our fleet in Q3 been similarly sized but comprised solely of ICE vehicles our EBITDA margin would have been several margin points higher."
    • So read what has been actually said vs Mr Red

• With an ice only fleet, ebitda would have been higher
    • That is translated in english as EV lost us money
Make believe as a way of life seem to be the norm for our stalinians but not a surprise

Just got a renewal notice from Alianz for the BYD Electric car.
First years premium as $850.
Todays renewal price $2069.
Now thats what i call inflation!
Now have to start the call around to other insurance companies to find a cheaper rate.
Mick

Just got a renewal notice from Alianz for the BYD Electric car.
First years premium as $850.
Todays renewal price $2069.
Now thats what i call inflation!
Now have to start the call around to other insurance companies to find a cheaper rate.
Mick
RACV came in at 850, so the boss shifted the policy to RACV.
Wonder if it will leap next year like Alianz did?
Mick

Mick
Maybe a reflexion of actual cost, with full battery write off at overall minimal damage crash, or lead footed driver showing off acceleration Mick ? 😉

Mick

That's crazy or criminal, or both.

There was a time when loyalty meant a lot. My brother swaps insurers, including health, every year now. After 30 years of loyalty, he found that chasing the discounts that other insurers offer to swap has saved him thousands.

Tritium are clong their Brisbane factory and shifting production to the USA.
FromEvil Murdoch press
1699581783498.png
We often hear about the technical niche brilliance of Australian workers, their productivity etc etc.
yet we cannot build an Australian designed charger without losing money.
No further comment needed.
The government could have spent half the 100 mill it just wasted in the Pacific Islands and bought the factory lock stock and barrell and just kept making the chargers here.

Mick

Tried to copy & past but needs to much editing to work.

Electric buzz: your guide to the best EVs on the market
EVs have finally captured the public imagination and the market is awash with options at all price points

Australia’s electric vehicle market has been supercharging ahead in the past 12
months, to the point where an EV, the Tesla Model Y, was our top-selling passenger
vehicle in June, and second-bestselling overall, beaten only by the evergreen Toyota
HiLux ute.
Sales are on the rise as Australians are inundated with more and more choices.
Electric vehicles now come in all shapes, sizes and at different prices, which means
there’s one to suit just about anyone looking for a new car. Here’s your guide to
what’s available, whether you’re after an affordable city runabout, a family friendly
SUV or a fully zapped performance car.

HYUNDAI IONIQ 5 N
Price: $111,000
Electric cars started out as glorified golf buggies but have evolved into a plethora of
practical and stylish options. Now the next stage of said evolution is here: the
performance electric car. Not just fast, because most EVs accelerate quickly, but
engaging and fun for the driver. The Hyundai Ioniq 5 N takes the brand’s funky
SUV and gives it a makeover to make it racetrack ready or, as Hyundai likes to call
it, a corner rascal. It’s got plenty of power, packing a 448kW/740Nm dual-motor
set-up, but that’s only the beginning. Hyundai takes things to the next level with a
raft of specially designed features, including a groundbreaking virtual gearbox, a
synthesised sound system and a “Drift Mode” – to name just a few intriguing
features. Hyundai claims the Ioniq 5 N can run 0-100km/h in just 3.4 seconds and
has a top speed of 258km/h. Pricing and exact specifications for this new take on
the EV will be revealed closer to its arrival in Australian showrooms by the end of
this year.

While the Hyundai Ioniq 5 N is a twist on the idea of a hot hatch, the Porsche
Taycan combines elements of a sports car and a luxury sedan to create one of the
most remarkable EVs to date. Porsche has created an array of Taycans, from the
Taycan RWD (from $165,700) all the way to the wild Taycan Turbo S (from
$365,100), which cater to a wide audience. While they’re all enjoyable in their own
way, the one that stands out is the Taycan GTS. It’s not the most powerful or the
fastest, but it is the one designed for maximum driving pleasure. The dual motors
produce 380kW (440kW on Overboost) and 850Nm but it’s the chassis, with
specially tuned suspension and fantastic braking system, that makes it such a joy for
the person behind the wheel. It’s still early days, but the Taycan GTS has set the
benchmark for EV-driving engagement, the one against which all future models will
be measured. Of course, if you’re more interested in ludicrous acceleration, the
Taycan Turbo S is for you. With 560kW and 1050Nm, it will launch from 0-
100km/h in 2.8 seconds – which is enough to literally make you nauseous if you do
it a few times in succession. In other words, the Porsche Taycan Turbo S is truly,
sickeningly fast.

TESLA MODEL Y
Price: from $65,400
The Tesla Model Y isn’t just Australia’s favourite electric vehicle, it’s one of the
bestselling cars in the country, full stop. In June of this year, the only vehicle
Australians bought more of was the Toyota HiLux, which is a remarkable
achievement given the previously slow uptake of EVs in the local market. However,
the combination of the American brand’s technology and its growing reputation has
clearly clicked with Australian customers. Despite its popularity (or perhaps
because of it) Tesla recently slashed the price of the Model Y, cutting up to $7455 off
the ask. The range now begins at $65,400 for the base grade, rear-wheel-drive
option and runs through $78,400 for the Long Range and $91,400 for the
Performance variant. Those three offer respectable driving range, with 455km
(RWD), 533km (Long Range) and 514 kilometres (Performance). The price cut also...

From the master himself
    • So read what has been actually said vs Mr Red

• With an ice only fleet, ebitda would have been higher
    • That is translated in english as EV lost us money
Make believe as a way of life seem to be the norm for our stalinians but not a surprise
You are right in that I misrepresented the statement... in a fashion. Hertz' "DA" in their EBITDA was some $900M greater than the corresponding period of 2022 as a result of their Tesla fleet, but this did not affect cash flow. Corresponding EBIT was significantly higher as a result.

Hertz' Uber and Lyft drivers are gravitating to EVs as fast as they can because they derive a greater profit now, despite earning less per ride. Hertz just needs to get the rental and rideshare balances sorted out. An interesting issue for Hertz was that while the share of new electric vehicle sales was growing, studies of current EV private ownership proved there was a lower incidence of damage and collision than for ICE vehicles compared to Hertz' experience. Scherr said, "We believe these trends will converge."

Paper losses in a set of accounts don't always translate to physical losses of revenue, and Hertz wouldn't be pursuing its commitment to a 100% EV fleet if it didn't think it made sense.

I heard a rough estimate that ford was losing about $36k pee electric car built(obviously lowers at scale). Is hydrogen an easier cheaper conversion?

I heard a rough estimate that ford was losing about $36k pee electric car built(obviously lowers at scale). Is hydrogen an easier cheaper conversion?
Or just going back to science cf global warming and CO2 scam.
In the meantime, Mr Xi is laughting AND going back to the bank daily to empty his pockets .