• Already own one

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Yes - would definitely buy

Votes: 43 22.1%
  • Yes - preferred over petrol car if price/power/convenience similar

Votes: 78 40.0%
  • Maybe - preference for neither, only concerned with costs etc

Votes: 36 18.5%
  • No - prefer petrol car even if electric car has same price, power and convenience

Votes: 24 12.3%
  • No - would never buy one

Votes: 14 7.2%

• Total voters
This is the end result I would expect to happen, or some hybrid equivalent where the truck can draw of a HV supply similar to electric trains, then it would only require the batteries for the loading at the face and unloading at the stockpile.
Also it could be charging when going back down.

Screenshot 2023-06-26 092919.png

This is the end result I would expect to happen, or some hybrid equivalent where the truck can draw of a HV supply similar to electric trains, then it would only require the batteries for the loading at the face and unloading at the stockpile.
Also it could be charging when going back down.

View attachment 158666
Tram or trolley bus power line to power the ore trucks. But what fuels the power line, diesel or green power. After the sun sets well......

Tram or trolley bus power line to power the ore trucks. But what fuels the power line, diesel or green power. After the sun sets well......
BHP and Fortescue are both building renewable power systems.

When the sun is up they will be powered by the sun, when the wind is blowing them will be powered by the wind, when the sun is down and the wind has stopped then will be powered by batteries or gas power stations.

Hauling truck and batteries..hum hard to find worse fit.
These machines are running 24/7, huge investment you can not afford let sleep for hours recharging..another madness..and most often in remote area with limited access to the grid.
Draglines are electric powered and it is an issue to hook them to proper grid access ..
Another green wet dream which will destroy what is left of Australia economy...

Hauling truck and batteries..hum hard to find worse fit.
These machines are running 24/7, huge investment you can not afford let sleep for hours recharging..another madness..and most often in remote area with limited access to the grid.
Draglines are electric powered and it is an issue to hook them to proper grid access ..
Another green wet dream which will destroy what is left of Australia economy...
You have got to keep up with the changes mate, the mines are attached to a grid in the Pilbara, it’s their own grid, check out the below link, this project in now up and running, they have a grid connecting mining sites to gas power stations, and solar is used to reduce the amount of gas consumed.

Also, if you follow APA Group, you will see they are building Micro grids in multiple mining areas, where the basically Hybrids, they are a micro grid connected to a Gas power station, wind, solar and batteries. The micro grids seemlessly switch between solar and wind, gas and batteries. Depending on conditions.

https://www.fmgl.com.au/docs/default-source/announcements/pilbara-generation-project.pdf

This photo shows APA Groups asset map, I have put arrows pointing to two of Apa’s operational micro grids at mining sites. In the Pilbara BHP and FMG are doing the same but on much larger scale.

IMG_8562.jpeg

Anyone heading from Perth to Kal, or vice versa check out Merredin Chargefox EV charger it isn't available. 600km is a long haul be prepared.

I've never seen this fault before, it was showing last night so I thought check in the morning, it's still the same.
So the 600km trip from Kalgoorlie to Perth becomes exciting unless you are well prepared with adaptors and a reasonable size nanny charger in the car.
I think there is a Tesla charger in Merredin also, I wonder if it has the same issue?

Screenshot 2023-06-26 210443.png

You have got to keep up with the changes mate, the mines are attached to a grid in the Pilbara, it’s their own grid, check out the below link, this project in now up and running, they have a grid connecting mining sites to gas power stations, and solar is used to reduce the amount of gas consumed.

Also, if you follow APA Group, you will see they are building Micro grids in multiple mining areas, where the basically Hybrids, they are a micro grid connected to a Gas power station, wind, solar and batteries. The micro grids seemlessly switch between solar and wind, gas and batteries. Depending on conditions.

https://www.fmgl.com.au/docs/default-source/announcements/pilbara-generation-project.pdf

This photo shows APA Groups asset map, I have put arrows pointing to two of Apa’s operational micro grids at mining sites. In the Pilbara BHP and FMG are doing the same but on much larger scale.

View attachment 158697
Looks like the "Greens wet dream" has come to fruition - and all at the hands of the massively wealthy Mining Industry Moguls.
(The odd innuendo in that word play.. I wonder if Gina is in on the act ?) :D

Looks like the "Greens wet dream" has come to fruition - and all at the hands of the massively wealthy Mining Industry Moguls.
(The odd innuendo in that word play.. I wonder if Gina is in on the act ?) :D
Yep, Apa Group are Australia's biggest operator of gas pipelines, gas power stations and have contracts to supply these mining areas with electricity. When they start adding Solar and batteries to their system to reduce they amount of gas they are consuming you know that we are at the point where renewables are competitive on price. It would be super easy for APA just to plonk down more gas generators at these sites, but then they have to fuel it with expensive gas for the next 20 years. By putting in some solar and batteries they can offset huge amounts of expensive gas.

There have been a number of articles written about China's ghost cities, cities where vasy numbers of apartments have been built but are empty, and will probably continue to be so (see Business Insider
According to the guy on the video below, China now has ghost fields of new cars.
He says it is due to scammy investment schemes set up the unscrupulous.
Perhaps in their desire to beat Elon Musk, they are just producing cars with no buyers.
Perhaps its all a hoax.
who knows, the quality of Chinese stats are barely worse than those coming from the mafia.

Mick

It looks like the guy is a bit loose with the facts, he had me believing him. A lot of those vehicles that he shows have petrol tanks, evident by the filler cap.

the mines are attached to a grid in the Pilbara
The NWIS (North-West Interconnected System)

1688034067931.png

Colours denote voltage not ownership but on that aspect, it's split between Pilbara Iron (Rio Tinto), BHP, FMG, Alinta and Horizon with Horizon itself being WA state government owned.

The majority of consumption is industrial (mining and things related to it) supplied directly from the NWIS but retail supply (households, small business) is supplied via Horizon's distribution network (not shown) also sourcing its bulk supply from the NWIS.

After letting the mining experts express their confidence in battery powered hauling trucks, I believe this should be the way for many power hungry vehicles
Ammonia engines have so far mostly been restricted to huge ships or static setup.
I see that as a good way to replace diesel engines uses..trains, remote locations, or real hungry needs..trucks, towing,etc
That would offer quick recharge equivalent ...
Energy density is not wonderful but at least does not take hours or the grid, and you can even travel with spare Jerry cans..

After letting the mining experts express their confidence in battery powered hauling trucks, I believe this should be the way for many power hungry vehicles
Ammonia engines have so far mostly been restricted to huge ships or static setup.
I see that as a good way to replace diesel engines uses..trains, remote locations, or real hungry needs..trucks, towing,etc
That would offer quick recharge equivalent ...
Energy density is not wonderful but at least does not take hours or the grid, and you can even travel with spare Jerry cans..
Good morning qldfrog,
Never heard of that one before... interesting.

Have you moved into your new digs ?

Kind regards
rcw1

VW is cutting back on its production of EV's as demand slumps.
From Autocar

Volkswagen has introduced measures to temporarily scale back production of electric models at one of its German plants.

According to the German car maker's work council, a shift at Volkswagen's Emden plant in Lower Saxony has been cancelled for the next two weeks in a lead-up to an extended four-week summer holiday period for workers on electric vehicle lines in July and August.

Among the models affected are the ID 4 SUV and early production of the ID 7 saloon. Details of the shortening of shifts were provided by Manfred Wulff, head of the works council for the Emden plant, in response to an inquiry from the German Press Agency and an earlier article published by the North West newspaper.

While the production of combustion-engine models, including the Volkswagen Passat, continues unchanged, the factory holidays for electric vehicle line workers have been extended by one week.

Additionally, Wulff says 300 of the current 1500 temporary workers employed at Volkswagen's Emden plant will not have their contracts renewed in August 2023. Employees were informed about the reduction in electric vehicle production on Monday.

Wulff indicates demand for electric vehicles is up to 30% below originally planned production figures.

“We are experiencing strong customer reluctance in the electric vehicle sector,” he told the North West newspaper.
Its interesting that the ICE engined vehicles are not being affected, just the EV side of things.
The fact that demand is 30% below the planned production figures is signifcant.
Is it possible that the market for EV;s has become saturated, and it will now become harder to "sell" ev's to the masses?
Is it because the VW Ev's are a substandard version?
Are they [priced to high even with incentives?
Are the ICE ;overs just too rusted on?
Time will tell if this is a VW thing, a European thing, or a worldwide thing.
Mick

Good morning qldfrog,
Never heard of that one before... interesting.

Have you moved into your new digs ?

Kind regards
rcw1
Yes new place fully off grid, 36kw lithium battery system, plenty of solar panels so even on rainy winter shorter days this month, we were back fully charged by midday
Actually great not to care when you run the dishwasher etc.
We could charge an EV no problem or keep ice cars, build and run a pool for the same cost...choice is clear ?

Last edited:
Yes new place fully off grid, 36kw lithium battery system, plenty of solar panels so even on rainy winter shorter days this month, we were back fully charged by midday
We could charge an EV no problem or keep ice cars, build and run a pool for the same cost...choice is clear ?
Open a bar with ice cold beer and I will come and admire it.
Mick

Open a bar with ice cold beer and I will come and admire it.
Mick
Nice
Better have a bottle of 40oz Bundaberg rum on the table and rcw1 will be there or square :)
Rcw1

VW is cutting back on its production of EV's as demand slumps.
From Autocar

Its interesting that the ICE engined vehicles are not being affected, just the EV side of things.
The fact that demand is 30% below the planned production figures is signifcant.
Is it possible that the market for EV;s has become saturated, and it will now become harder to "sell" ev's to the masses?
Is it because the VW Ev's are a substandard version?
Are they [priced to high even with incentives?
Are the ICE ;overs just too rusted on?
Time will tell if this is a VW thing, a European thing, or a worldwide thing.
Mick

This video explains a bit about the issue VW and other EV manufacturers are having -

It looks like the guy is a bit loose with the facts, he had me believing him. A lot of those vehicles that he shows have petrol tanks, evident by the filler cap.

The guy in this video is a paid China shill, routinely posting blatantly dishonest Chinese propaganda etc.

Those cars are all EVs. Those "filler caps" are the cover for the electrical socket!