• Already own one

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Yes - would definitely buy

Votes: 43 22.1%
  • Yes - preferred over petrol car if price/power/convenience similar

Votes: 78 40.0%
  • Maybe - preference for neither, only concerned with costs etc

Votes: 36 18.5%
  • No - prefer petrol car even if electric car has same price, power and convenience

Votes: 24 12.3%
  • No - would never buy one

Votes: 14 7.2%

• Total voters
I've no idea who she is, the name isn't even familiar, but whilst I can see the business aspect for Tesla from an overall societal perspective a common "one fits all" approach to EV charging makes far more sense.

We don't have brand specific petrol stations after all.
A lot of the issue is Tesla installed its own charging infrastructure across Australia and as yet haven't opened it up to the general public, so Tesla drivers can use public infrastructure as it's compatible, but the public can't use Tesla's infrastructure because they are electronically locked out.
So you have a bit of friction, Tesla people who are smug because they have more options and non Tesla EV drivers who think that as happened with Telstra, the ACCC should make Tesla open up their network to allow opposition vehicles to use them.
I'm sure it will get sorted, it isn't as though Tesla can't charge users, they can.
I am actually surprised the Government hasn't asked the ACCC to investigate, maybe the Govt has enough on its plate ATM. ?

In the petrol station analogy, it would be like the petrol brands saying, "you can only get fuel at our stations, if you have a paid membership".

With the membership only available if you own a particular brand car.
Like I said I'm surprised that the ACCC isn't all over it, in the name of public interest, duplication and efficiency.
It's a bit like Telstra had to give Singtel, TPG etc access to its network, as it would be ridiculously inefficient to duplicate the infrastructure.
They just had to pay Telstra for the access, at a rate determined by the ACCC.
I'm sure when the bottleneck affects public opinion, the Govt will be on the blower to the ACCC. ;)
No doubt there will be two prices for the Tesla charger, but denying access I'm sure will be changed, or I should say say I will be surprised if it isn't changed.
But these days, who knows who is shagging who and who isn't paying, so to speak. :roflmao:

A lot of the issue is Tesla installed its own charging infrastructure across Australia and as yet haven't opened it up to the general public, so Tesla drivers can use public infrastructure as it's compatible, but the public can't use Tesla's infrastructure because they are electronically locked out.
So you have a bit of friction, Tesla people who are smug because they have more options and non Tesla EV drivers who think that as happened with Telstra, the ACCC should make Tesla open up their network to allow opposition vehicles to use them.
I'm sure it will get sorted, it isn't as though Tesla can't charge users, they can.
I am actually surprised the Government hasn't asked the ACCC to investigate, maybe the Govt has enough on its plate ATM. ?

In the petrol station analogy, it would be like the petrol brands saying, "you can only get fuel at our stations, if you have a paid membership".
Fortunately this is capitalism working at its best.

Recently Tesla opened their infrastructure to other EV's in the USA.

Nothing is free unfortunately.

gg

gg
Unless you live in Australia. :xyxthumbs
But we will end up like the U.S very soon, I can't wait.
Then the whingers will really have something to complain about.?

Unless you live in Australia. :xyxthumbs
But we will end up like the U.S very soon, I can't wait.
Then the whingers will really have something to complain about.?
Just another star onto the flag and we then become the 51st State if its not already.
And guns of all types for all and sundry over the age of 6.

Surely a prank?

Though I have seen a Tesla at a servo. The driver was buying 5 litres of petrol in a can, presumably for a mower, chainsaw, line trimmer etc. :2twocents
Or perhaps forgot that the EV didn't require petrol.
Old habits die hard !!!!

A bit more complex than that sptrawler.

Continuing with your petrol station analogy, look at it this way - one brand of petrol station offers a membership to anyone that wants to pay to join. The joining fee includes membership to a specially built Gym. The catch is that the Gyms are funded by the petrol station membership. The uptake has been so successful there is no excess capacity for anyone without membership to use the Gym.

One of the reasons that Tesla vehicles were quite expensive was because a fee was included in the price to help fund and build charging station infrastructure. This was required because there was no infrastructure and no one else wanted to build charging stations in locations required to make travel easy.

Today we have other manufacturers selling a fair number of EVs to the public at reasonably low cost and putting pressure on Tesla sales, and those manufacturers are not building charging stations, and not adding on a cost to build charging stations. As EVs increase the new owners of these brands of EVs are finding that they have limited charging infrastructure available to them, while at the same time seeing the benefits that Tesla owners have. Benefits paid for by the Tesla owner at purchase of their vehicle because of the forward thinking of the Tesla CEO, board, engineers, and the rest of the team.

In the USA, the home of Tesla, the number of Tesla charging stations far exceed Australia's build, per capita. Tesla USA have the capacity to open up their charging stations to Non-Tesla owners for a fee.

While in Australia there are currently relatively few Tesla charging stations, but Tesla is installing more and there will come a time when capacity will be high enough to allow non-Tesla owners to use them.

Until then, I suggest that people like you should contact your EV manufacturer and dealership and tell them to build a few charging stations.

Last edited:
I've no idea who she is, the name isn't even familiar, but whilst I can see the business aspect for Tesla from an overall societal perspective a common "one fits all" approach to EV charging makes far more sense.

We don't have brand specific petrol stations after all.
Smurf, where have you been!
its Jane Caro! Famous (ex) ABC presenter/journalist! ran as an independent at last election ( and got fewer votes than the one nation candidate).
mick

gg

Very true.

When Tesla started selling their models the pricing of the vehicle wasn't just what it cost to build it, it also included the cost to build charging infrastructure.

If this was left to governments... well just look at the old Soviet system for an answer.

America has the added advantage of having the Electrify America charging system, which is a poor substitute to what Tesla has built but still an advantage over what we have. The USA has a lot more options than we have in Australia, and that is partly due to it being so hard to be a start up in this country.

Tesla will have difficulty opening up their charging stations to all in Australia, due to the low number they have here and the increasing number of Tesla EVs on the road. However, there are more companies installing charging stations, so things may change in the future.

Uni students break the world record, for distance driven on one kg of hydrogen in a fuel cell car 2488.4km

From the article:

While plug-in electric vehicles are the center of much hype, they aren’t the only type of newfangled, potentially sustainable vehicle that the world’s brightest minds have set their sights on. Fuel cell electric vehicles also use electricity, but instead of using a battery, they produce electricity internally using a hydrogen fuel cell. While these kinds of vehicles have been around for a while, the technology has faced plenty of challenges and hurdles—namely inefficiency and range anxiety.

However, a team of students at the Netherland’s Delft University of Technology recently took a big step for hydrogen cars—and, simultaneously, broke the Guinness World Record for the greatest distance driven on full tanks of hydrogen fuel. On Sunday, June 25, the student team drove their hydrogen-fueled Eco-Runner XIII for 2,488.4 kilometers (1,546.2 miles) over the course of three days on just one kilogram of hydrogen fuel—that’s about the distance between Boston and Miami. The student crew drove the 71.5 hours in rotating shifts of two hours, only stopping to switch out drivers.

Just got an email from EVIE saying their electricity prices are going up at their chargers.
At 65 cents per MWHr, a fill from 20 to 100% is now up to $34. at 110 kmh which is most of our highway travel,
it is still about 50% cheaper than travelling the same distance at same speed in my diesel ute.
mick

You know that a product has become mainstream when a price war between manufacturers starts.

Tesla rolls out global cash rebate as EV price war heats up

(Reuters) - Tesla Inc rolled out a new incentive globally allowing buyers to earn extra incentives through referrals from existing customers, a strategy long used by traditional automakers to boost sales.

The cash rebates are applicable in markets including the United States, China, Canada and Germany, according to Tesla's regional websites on Friday.

Video report on website

VW say's the EV manufacturing is overheated and unsustainable, I don't think anyone has told VW that's how China works, they have a regulated currency and can run at a loss if required.
About 20 years ago I said to a mate how the hell can China import all the iron ore, make the steel and plastic to make a toaster, then ship it back to Australia and sell it for $7.50, when it cost $8 to buy a plug top at Bunnings.
Well someone had better explain to VW, it is going to get a lot worse for them before it gets better, they probably buy their batteries from China.
Also VW are competing against a bottomless pit of money and cheap labour. ?

From the article:
The CEO of the Volkswagen Group's Chinese operations, Ralf Brandstätter, has warned the high cost of electric cars combined with sharp discounting “will ultimately harm the interests of consumers”.
In a speech at the 2023 China Automobile Forum – hosted by the China Association of Automobile Manufacturers in Shanghai on Thursday local time – Mr Brandstätter said the electric vehicle market cannot continue on its current rapid roll-out path.
“There are more than 120 car makers within the [electric vehicle] market, and about 150 new models will be launched in 2023,” Mr Brandstätter told the industry gathering.
“Intense market competition and high battery prices make them face severe economic pressure. Short-term sales success requires extremely high capital investment.”
The former head of the Volkswagen brand was particularly critical of the discounting of electric vehicles in China.
“The fierce competition has led to deep price discounts,” said Mr Brandstätter. "This will ultimately harm the interests of consumers. They will no longer be able to get services from retired brands, or they will see a significant price cut on the models they buy.”
Mr Brandstätter's comments were viewed as a veiled criticism of rival Tesla, which has led the trend towards sharp discounting whenever customer demand tapers.