• Already own one

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Yes - would definitely buy

Votes: 43 22.1%
  • Yes - preferred over petrol car if price/power/convenience similar

Votes: 78 40.0%
  • Maybe - preference for neither, only concerned with costs etc

Votes: 36 18.5%
  • No - prefer petrol car even if electric car has same price, power and convenience

Votes: 24 12.3%
  • No - would never buy one

Votes: 14 7.2%

• Total voters
100% would obviously require all those overnight street charging stations to be built, but that's all. The grid and power stations wouldn't need anything.

We're capable of at least 75% electric right now if only the batteries lasted longer.

100% would obviously require all those overnight street charging stations to be built, but that's all. The grid and power stations wouldn't need anything.

We're capable of at least 75% electric right now if only the batteries lasted longer.

In Sydney?

75% EV?

Without charging stations and additional power stations?

We need to finish my exercise to see if your call is true!

If the batteries lasted long enough for them to be practical, we could, right now, have an electric car at every house/flat/whatever that has a wall socket to charge it from. Every single one.

As far as the grid and stations are concerned, it's just like having an air conditioner or heater running overnight. Literally like that.

If the batteries lasted long enough for them to be practical, we could, right now, have an electric car at every house/flat/whatever that has a wall socket to charge it from. Every single one.

As far as the grid and stations are concerned, it's just like having an air conditioner or heater running overnight. Literally like that.

I don't think Sydney will be putting residential recharge stations in every side street of Sydney. Go have a look at suburbs like Balmain and Glebe.

We are trying to declutter our cities, not clutter them with transmission lines and recharge stations.

Those little recharge stations will be destroyed in a few months in Paris. Have you seen the riots that take place in Paris!

Here's a much older EV and yes it's the first one I and quite a few others ever drove:

iemcev.jpg

It's a standard Daihatsu Charade converted to fully electric power in the 1990's for the Integrated Energy Management Centre.

The car was fully road registered for normal use on public streets and over the years rather a lot of people have driven it from tradesmen and office workers through to senior management and a former state premier. It's been on the TV news, it's been at various shows and so on too. Plenty took an interest in it at the time.

Car shown here sometime in the 1990's parked at the Hydro-Electric Corporation workshops at Moonah (suburban Hobart).

Charging was via a normal household power point. It simply plugged in. :2twocents

Here's a much older EV and yes it's the first one I and quite a few others ever drove:

iemcev.jpg

It's a standard Daihatsu Charade converted to fully electric power in the 1990's for the Integrated Energy Management Centre.

The car was fully road registered for normal use on public streets and over the years rather a lot of people have driven it from tradesmen and office workers through to senior management and a former state premier. It's been on the TV news, it's been at various shows and so on too. Plenty took an interest in it at the time.

Car shown here sometime in the 1990's parked at the Hydro-Electric Corporation workshops at Moonah (suburban Hobart).

Charging was via a normal household power point. It simply plugged in. :2twocents

That is well and wonderful Smurf. ONE vehicle.

The installation and maintenance costs of your little Paris recharge stations would be quite significant. Having to inspect and maintain them constantly to ensure that they are complaint, safe and operational.

The costs are mounting for your case Smurf. Your hole is getting deeper and deeper.

Not to mention many streets in Sydney have very narrow sidewalks, trees in the way, and so on.

I don't think Sydney will be putting residential recharge stations in every side street of Sydney. Go have a look at suburbs like Balmain and Glebe.

We are trying to declutter our cities, not clutter them with transmission lines and recharge stations.

Those little recharge stations will be destroyed in a few months in Paris. Have you seen the riots that take place in Paris!
Nah but everywhere else could. Still a looot of cars :)

Nah but everywhere else could. Still a looot of cars :)

Yeah, everywhere outside the red circle. Smurf can convince the SA Government to do it. LOL. Put the recharge stations in every residential street in Adelaide.

upload_2020-7-14_19-54-28.png

HAHA.

Or maybe the Victorians are stupid enough to do it. Dan Andrews is a good target for Elon. If I was Elon, I would be approaching Dan Andrews, he might be willing to spend Victorian's money on this sort of fairy tale stuff, with recharge stations in every residential street.

Any house/flat/whatever that has a garage or carport could right this very second.

Any house/flat/whatever that has a garage or carport could right this very second.

I don't have an issue with individuals buying EVs. The NSW and Federal government will need to work with the electricity companies to bring in a tier system to charge people more for their electricity consumption. However we aren't putting in recharge stations in every residential street in Sydney and we need to ensure that capacity is adequate so that we don't compromise our grid.

I will still take the Ferrari California over an electric vehicle.

I said before that I give Elon credit for what he has done. Elon is a businessman, first and foremost; not some save the planet environmental warrior.

What do you mean a tier system? It's just the power you pay for now already?

What do you mean a tier system? It's just the power you pay for now already?

The more you use the more you pay per KW/h. Because electricity will become more scarce and we need to build more powerplants. This will ensure a smoother transition. The electricity companies will then have the funds to build more powerplants and those that are using more electricity will be paying for it.

What? Did you expect me to pay for the new powerplants for this transition?

I am happy with my Ferrari!

Not necessary as long as the vehicles are charged outside of peak hours. The grid and plants are made to handle the max the power draw gets to each day. As long as you don't increase that draw, you can increase any other time of day without needing to change anything.

Not necessary as long as the vehicles are charged outside of peak hours. The grid and plants are made to handle the max the power draw gets to each day. As long as you don't increase that draw, you can increase any other time of day without needing to change anything.

But so many people will be drawing electricity at night now?

Like everyone turning on their aircon units during the day when it is hot.

Some sort of tier system must come in. People are just trying to go cheap. You want an EV, you pay for it, I am not going to subsidize it for you.

There will be no peak and off-peak. It will just be peak. Example: hot during the day, everyone turns on the aircons, at night everyone recharges their cars.

Forget about the off-peak and peak wave, that is gone under this scenario.

We are jumping the steps of the exercise. We could have looked at all this methodically if we continued with the exercise.

Clarification.
A bit of housekeeping just to make things clear

This is what Chronos believes I said

1. This all started with Basilio's silly and nonsense post about 100% EVs being produced in the coming years. Thus, Basilio is wrong and absolutely has no clue, idea or understanding about energy, electricity or capital costs.

In fact my first post was : post 1924

One analysis of where electric cars are going

The Osborne Effect: Why new car sales will be all electric in six years
https://thedriven.io/2020/07/07/the...-car-sales-will-be-all-electric-in-six-years/

I explained myself in detail later on.

My reference was to an analysis which suggested that that all /almost all new car sales could be electric in 6 years.

That doesn't mean we won't be using petrol for the rest of the current cars. So I can't understand why people make a totally unnecessary straw man argument about substituting all gas sales with electricity.:cautious:

As far as the analysis goes ? Basically saying that the cost differential between petrol and electric is rapidly decreasing and that many people are probably waiting a few years before they buy their next car. Interestingly enough if Tesla and other companies are producing a million mile battery which also helps power their home the value of going electric increases significantly. post 1936

Clarification.
A bit of housekeeping just to make things clear

This is what Chronos believes I said

In fact my first post was : post 1924

One analysis of where electric cars are going

The Osborne Effect: Why new car sales will be all electric in six years
https://thedriven.io/2020/07/07/the...-car-sales-will-be-all-electric-in-six-years/

I explained myself in detail later on.

My reference was to an analysis which suggested that that all /almost all new car sales could be electric in 6 years.

That doesn't mean we won't be using petrol for the rest of the current cars. So I can't understand why people make a totally unnecessary straw man argument about substituting all gas sales with electricity.:cautious:

As far as the analysis goes ? Basically saying that the cost differential between petrol and electric is rapidly decreasing and that many people are probably waiting a few years before they buy their next car. Interestingly enough if Tesla and other companies are producing a million mile battery which also helps power their home the value of going electric increases significantly. post 1936

No strawman here. I am willing to find consensus here to work through an exercise.

At the moment, we are somewhere between establishing the electricity capacity needed and what the gap is to make up in peak and off-peak demand for 100% EV. Also the sun isn't shining during the day, capacity factor for wind is ~30%, the coal and gas powerplant industry has been decimated, and nuclear has been out of the question for a long time. Is it more big battery sales for Elon :roflmao:

Sure; hydrogen has its own problems also; however I think the problems are more easily resolved in juxtaposition to electric vehicles.

I am not against EVs either, I just don't see nations building also the required infrastructure this century to assist with the 100% EV transition.

What happens if we have a serious grid meltdown? What if we have a serious cyber attack that shuts down our electrical grid for days. We will have people stuck in the middle of roads across the country.

Let's have a bit of think before running off to Alice In Wonderland with some other posters on here.
Not a fan of H2 but it could use the same network, distributors etc than current oil based system, so this would be much simpler, and would not require anywhere as much rare earth and complex newer technologies.Just worried with storage leaks and losses but still easier to store than electricity :)