• Already own one

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Yes - would definitely buy

Votes: 43 22.1%
  • Yes - preferred over petrol car if price/power/convenience similar

Votes: 78 40.0%
  • Maybe - preference for neither, only concerned with costs etc

Votes: 36 18.5%
  • No - prefer petrol car even if electric car has same price, power and convenience

Votes: 24 12.3%
  • No - would never buy one

Votes: 14 7.2%

• Total voters
I actually said we wouldn’t ever be 100%.

but you can misconstrue what I say as much as you like if it helps you get through the night, any way don’t have anymore time for you.

bye.

Right, OK. So what percentage would you like?

Governments plan over multiple decades, not on an overnight dream that you read in a handbook.

I thought you said that you have to watch other people live their lives on TV?

View attachment 105971

That is 1389375 GW/h per year of electricity the USA will need to go 100% EV, based on 2019 figures.

Ask your mate who is an electrical engineer, if this is a small number and how much it will cost.

I don't want to keep moving forward with this exercise because there are some people on here that are only interested in taking cheap shots. That is why I am getting consensus before moving forward.
I'm not sure of your angle here - what exactly are you saying will never happen? If it's those supercharging stations everywhere then I agree with you but battery tech will render them obsolete.

The grid itself can already handle wall charging as long as it doesn't increase peak demand. It's no different to just running heaters overnight in winter or air conditioning in summer. It's when peak demand increases that the grid needs to be beefed up.

There's absolutely nothing stopping people running EV's as commuter vehicles right now except cost. Energy generation is much much more efficient (cheaper) from a power station than an internal combustion engine. People just can't go dropping 6 figures on a car that they can only use as a commuter. Once they can use it for long trips, that'll change.

I'm not sure of your angle here - what exactly are you saying will never happen? If it's those supercharging stations everywhere then I agree with you but battery tech will render them obsolete.

The grid itself can already handle wall charging as long as it doesn't increase peak demand. It's no different to just running heaters overnight in winter or air conditioning in summer. It's when peak demand increases that the grid needs to be beefed up.

There's absolutely nothing stopping people running EV's as commuter vehicles right now except cost. Energy generation is much much more efficient (cheaper) from a power station than an internal combustion engine.

Are we going to put recharge stations in every street for people to recharge their cars overnight because they don't have a garage?

Or are people going to run extension cords from the street into their homes?

You obviously wouldn't buy an electric car if you can't keep it charged somehow. But the vast, vast, vast majority of cars are not parked on the street.

You obviously wouldn't buy an electric car if you can't keep it charged somehow. But the vast, vast, vast majority of cars are not parked on the street.

Really, this is just too funny now :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Not in the large cities, people fight for street parking overnight.

Dude here in aus I've lived in hobart, melbourne, adelaide, sydney, and brisbane. The overwhelming majority of cars have somewhere private to park them - garage, carport, hell even apartments virtually always come with parking spots. Do I really need to bring up data showing how many street parking permits exist vs how many cars exist?

Most cars are not parked on the street overnight.

This company in London is converting street lamps into charging locations.

it just shows charging infrastructure is so much simpler to install than petrol stations.

Dude here in aus I've lived in hobart, melbourne, adelaide, sydney, and brisbane. The overwhelming majority of cars have somewhere private to park them - garage, carport, hell even apartments virtually always come with parking spots. Do I really need to bring up data showing how many street parking permits exist vs how many cars exist?

Most cars are not parked on the street overnight.

Mate; go speak to people who live in the inner city suburbs in Sydney.

Nowhere near the vast majority. Maybe 50%.

This company in London is converting street lamps into charging locations.

it just shows charging infrastructure is so much simpler to install than petrol stations.

And how many windmills on their island or in their seas, will they need to ensure electrical capacity and supply?

It isn't practical for nations or city states like Hong Kong, Singapore. That is for sure.

Mate; go speak to people who live in the inner city suburbs in Sydney.

Nowhere near the vast majority. Maybe 50%.
The inner city suburbs of sydney are not representative of the entire planet, and even if they were, according to you, we could still convert half the cars to electric. That's still a LOT of cars.

The inner city suburbs of sydney are not representative of the entire planet, and even if they were, according to you, we could still convert half the cars to electric. That's still a LOT of cars.

I said maybe!

You said the VAST VAST MAJORITY! That is well above 75% in statistical terms.

We aren't allowed to do research here, because we have some people here that are only interested in cheap shots.

Let's assume that you or I lived somewhere that the car could just be plugged into the wall and charged overnight at - which about 3/4 of the country does (and this is a conservative estimate).

Now all we need is for the batteries to hold enough juice for a full day's driving the family on a trip or something and there's no reason not to own one if it's cheaper (purchase and running costs combined) than an internal combustion engine. None.

The absolute worst thing you'd have to do is maybe get a 15 amp circuit (a single day's work for an electrician) or 3 phase power (a few grand to your power company) installed in order to get enough charge into the car overnight. That's it. That's the absolute worst headache you have.

The only things stopping 3/4 of the country having an electric car right this very second are upfront cost(s) of purchase and battery technology (life), both of which are improving constantly.

We don't even need to move to renewable energy as it's already waaaay more efficient (cheaper) to burn fossil fuels in a power station than in an internal combustion engine. It's literally plug & play. We don't have to do a single thing to the grid at all.

Let's assume that you or I lived somewhere that the car could just be plugged into the wall and charged overnight at - which about 3/4 of the country does (and this is a conservative estimate).

Now all we need is for the batteries to hold enough juice for a full day's driving the family on a trip or something and there's no reason not to own one if it's cheaper (purchase and running costs combined) than an internal combustion engine. None.

The absolute worst thing you'd have to do is maybe get a 15 amp circuit (a single day's work for an electrician) or 3 phase power (a few grand to your power company) installed in order to get enough charge into the car overnight. That's it. That's the absolute worst headache you have.

The only things stopping 3/4 of the country having an electric car right this very second are upfront cost(s) of purchase and battery technology (life), both of which are improving constantly.

We don't even need to move to renewable energy as it's already waaaay more efficient (cheaper) to burn fossil fuels in a power station than in an internal combustion engine. It's literally plug & play.

1. This all started with Basilio's silly and nonsense post about 100% EVs being produced in the coming years. Thus, Basilio is wrong and absolutely has no clue, idea or understanding about energy, electricity or capital costs.

2. I am not interested in buying an electric vehicle. If I want to buy a vehicle, I want to buy a Ferrari California.

3. I have already highlighted there are many significant reasons why this country will not be going moving to majority EVs, particularly within our large cities, because there just isn't the infrastructure to support it, and the vast majority of people don't want to pay the 100s of billions of dollars, in taxpayer funds.

4. If you want to buy an EV, and you can put roof-top solar on your home, and you can charge it in your garage; go for it. Just don't expect the rest of the country to subscribe to your life choices, or to enact into law your will, or to spend our taxpayer's money on your utopian world dreams.

But what I'm saying to you man is that we don't need to build any more infrastructure to support it. We can use the stuff we have right now and literally plug the car into the wall like a kettle and charge it overnight using the existing grid and the existing power plants. No need for tons of infrastructure spend beefing the grid up, no need for renewables either as fossil fuel produces WAY more energy in a power plant than it does in a normal car's engine.

The problem is that the batteries don't last long enough for electric cars to be practical. If they did, absolutely everyone would own one as electricity is waaaay cheaper per km than petrol. Way cheaper.

But what I'm saying to you man is that we don't need to build any more infrastructure to support it. We can use the stuff we have right now and literally plug the car into the wall like a kettle and charge it overnight using the existing grid and the existing power plants. No need for tons of infrastructure, no need for renewables either as fossil fuel produces WAY more energy in a power plant than it does in a normal car's engine.

The problem is that the batteries don't last long enough for electric cars to be practical. If they did, absolutely everyone would own one as electricity is waaaay cheaper per km than petrol. Way cheaper.

Sure; let people buy their EVs, I am not stopping them. Electricity companies can just tier their charges based on electrical consumption. The more electricity you use, the more you will pay.

That way they can make a killing and build more powerplants without asking the government for handouts.