Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

ELECTIONS - Labor or Liberal

Who do you think will win the next election Labor or Liberal?

• Labor (Kevin Rudd)

Votes: 221 51.8%
  • Liberal (John Howard)

Votes: 206 48.2%

• Total voters
It was a rhetorical question, but in any event, Liberal on both counts.

Australian's have never had it so good and irrespective of what your pursuasion may be, most will atleast privately concede that it is the Federal government's doing.

wayneL said:
I think many folks have had enough of Johnny Rotten.

I'm traditionally a liberal voter, but can't wait to see the back end of this lot.

The political landscape is fairly homogenous amongst the big parties anyway.

anyone who says they are a traditional liberal voter, would not say such things about our great government. you must be a member of the labor party.

DOC said:
anyone who says they are a traditional liberal voter, would not say such things about our great government. you must be a member of the labor party.
There are such things as small "L" liberals you know, that Howard successfully managed to run out of the party. Hence Fraser's disdain for Howard.

chops_a_must said:
Most economists agree that this paved the way for the exceptional growth we have seen in the last 11-12 years. Even Ian Macfarlane says so.

Tell that to the family small business that sank because of the recession. The Howard Government has seen out one boom and currently in another. He has kept inflation under control and it looks unlikely we will see anymore rises in interest rates. He has done a damn fine jobs.

As for Peter Costello I know he seems smug but I think he has a brilliant mind for economic management and is to credit for John Howards success.

DOC said:
I would thank you not to leap to delusions. :rolleyes:

i've always been a liberal voter so far (10yrs) but I consider a vote for liberal next time a vote for costello. I'm not in favour of him for pm & the affect that would have on small business. costello would most likely let big business run right over the top of it.

LIBERAL

I do not believe they've done much wrong in the 11 years they've been in.

What exactly do Labor offer?

What improvements would you see if Labor got it?

They can't do any better, and will probably do worse.

Kevin Rudd is a poor mans' Mark Latham.. :D

Does anyone know if Obama will have the power to bring troops home by the march deadline he made? Wont the whole process of becoming president still be going through?

moXJO said:
Does anyone know if Obama will have the power to bring troops home by the march deadline he made? Wont the whole process of becoming president still be going through?
No he won't be president yet (if ever), which kind of makes Howards comments a bit hysterical.

Realist said:
LIBERAL

I do not believe they've done much wrong in the 11 years they've been in.

What exactly do Labor offer?

What improvements would you see if Labor got it?

They can't do any better, and will probably do worse.

Kevin Rudd is a poor mans' Mark Latham.. :D

That is the most sensible argument I've heard throughout this thread. Will Kevin Rudd do any better? Unlikely.

mime said:
That is the most sensible argument I've heard throughout this thread. Will Kevin Rudd do any better? Unlikely.
Economically Australia has done very well under Howard. Whether that is his fault or more global factors remains open to argument.

Sociologically, Australia has deteriorated significantly. Whether Rudd can change that, or even if it is on the agenda, can only be proven in the future.

But for mine, the sociological damage is unforgivable. Kick Johnny Rotten out!!!

wayneL said:
Economically Australia has done very well under Howard. Whether that is his fault or more global factors remains open to argument.

Sociologically, Australia has deteriorated significantly. Whether Rudd can change that, or even if it is on the agenda, can only be proven in the future.

But for mine, the sociological damage is unforgivable. Kick Johnny Rotten out!!!

Dear wayneL,

What do you mean by "Sociologically, Australia has deteriorated significantly."

I would like some clarification on this statement.

Garpal

Garpal Gumnut said:
Dear wayneL,

What do you mean by "Sociologically, Australia has deteriorated significantly."

I would like some clarification on this statement.

Garpal

I would have to write a book, but in very simple terms we have gone from a situation where people would prefer a friend over a dollar, to preferring a dollar over a friend.

Overly simplified, and far more than about just "friends", but that's the thrust of it.

<add> I have a lot of data on this topic. One week when I need something to do I will collate into a paper... but too busy chasing dollars at the moment. LOL

wayneL said:
I would have to write a book, but in very simple terms we have gone from a situation where people would prefer a friend over a dollar, to preferring a dollar over a friend.

Overly simplified, and far more than about just "friends", but that's the thrust of it.

<add> I have a lot of data on this topic. One week when I need something to do I will collate into a paper... but too busy chasing dollars at the moment. LOL

Dear wayneL,

You are fudging a bit in your answer , let me start you off on your paper. More paper ends up in the Yarra, Swan , Brisbane Rivers than is ever published by the way.

I don't know how old you are so forgive me if I cite subjective evidence from my experience.

There are more babies being born now per woman years than when Keating was PM

More people own their own homes than when Labor were last in power.

"Sociologically" this seems "good" to me.

any comments ??

Garpal

Garpal Gumnut said:
Dear wayneL,

You are fudging a bit in your answer , let me start you off on your paper. More paper ends up in the Yarra, Swan , Brisbane Rivers than is ever published by the way.

What does this mean? Condescension perhaps?

Garpal Gumnut said:
I don't know how old you are so forgive me if I cite subjective evidence from my experience.

any comments ??

Garpal

The number of babies born and the number of home owners has zero sociological implications in and of themselves.

Sociology
Crystal Reference Encyclopedia

The study of patterned social behaviour which constitutes a social system or society, a term originally coined by French social theorist Auguste Comte. Sociologists explore the way in which social structures are continually modified as a result of social interaction, and thereby seek to explain the development of new institutions or new types of society. Modern sociology has a number of key theoretical approaches which try to account for social structure and social change. While they differ in very important respects, they all share the belief that they can ‘get behind’ the surface appearance of everyday life, to reveal its complexity and interest. Any aspect of society can be examined sociologically, but there have emerged certain areas of study that have gained most attention, such as crime, the family, gender, the media, science and technology, medicine, and systems of inequality.

Garpal Gumnut said:

any comments ??
Yes.

We now have more single mothers than ever before. People are having to be paid to be parents, rather than traditionally, because of long term financial security. This will have dire consequences in another 20 years time, when kids have grown up in a loveless family, and realise they were only brought into this world for money.

More banks own people's property than ever before.

The gap between rich and poor has grown excessively.

The removal of incentive for education.

The victimisation, alienation and removal of hope for the youth of Australia.

Sounds great.

Australia had begun to deteriorate "sociologically" before Howard became Prime Minister. Indeed, one may even suggest that this is not merely a trend in Australia but a trend being experienced worldwide. Furthermore, as requested by somebody else on this threat the comment needs clarification and is really kind of subjective.

For an example of how effective a Labor government really is, try living in little old Adelaide with Media Mike and his goons pumping our dollars into failed industries and blocking development in the City keeping big business out and the economy in a constant state of stagnation. And they wonder why this state is experiencing next-to-zero levels of population and economic growth and also the highest rate of welfare dependency. :rolleyes: