Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Economic implications of a SARS/Coronavirus outbreak

From what i have read and heard lately, some positive news at last.
It seems that it is getting easier this week to get out legally from the prison nation. Yeahhhh?
Double jabs: good boy..good boy; and more than 3 months away are key criteria it seems
Now the logistic is still a nightmare due to gov needs..you need a ticket out to apply, but do not know if you can or when, to buy the ticket, and obviously cost but we have more chances to be "allowed"
Will be a long process...
Not even looking at any coming back scenario so need to ensure ability to either not come back at all or years later
Obvious economic impacts but some hope at long last

Mask Protection Standards & Medical Face Mask Information For Use​

The filtration efficiency and protective ability of a face mask is compromised when the mask becomes wet, torn or dislodged. Generally speaking, the higher protection value of a mask the longer it will maintain filtration; however, there is no set rule for how long a mask should be worn as it depends on humidity levels, respiration rate, nasal discharge, talking, etc. A medical face mask should be worn for only one patient procedure or visit. If a mask gets wet or soiled it should be replaced.

ASTM standards are referenced by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), as the endorsed standard in the United States. ASTM F2100 specifies the performance requirements for Medical Face Masks with five basic criteria:

1. BFE (Bacterial Filtration Efficiency):
BFE measures how well the medical face mask filters out bacteria when challenged with a bacteria-containing aerosol. ASTM specifies testing with a droplet size of 3.0 microns containing Staph. Aureus (average size 0.6-0.8 microns). In order to be called a medical/surgical mask, a minimum 95% filtration rate is required. Moderate and high protection masks must have bacterial filtration rates greater than 98%.

Some manufacturers use the Modified Greene & Vesley method to determine the BFE rating. This method is NOT recommended by ASTM for product comparison or evaluating consistency.

2. PFE (Particulate Filtration Efficiency): PFE measures how well a hospital mask filters sub-micron particles with the expectation that viruses will be filtered in a similar manner. The higher the percentage, the better the mask filtration. Although testing is available using a particle size from 0.1 to 5.0 microns, ASTM F2100 specifies that a particle size of 0.1 micron be used.

When comparing test results it is important to note the size of the test particles used, as use of a larger particle size will produce a misleading PFE rating.

3. Fluid Resistance: Fluid resistance reflects the surgical mask’s ability to minimize the amount of fluid that could transfer from the outer layers through to the inner layer as the result of a splash or spray. ASTM specifies testing with synthetic blood at pressures of 80, 120, or 160 mm Hg to qualify for low, medium, or high fluid resistance. These pressures correlate to blood pressure: 80 mm Hg = venous pressure (Level 1), 120 mm Hg = arterial pressure (Level 2), and 160 mm Hg (Level 3) correlates to potential high pressures that may occur during trauma, or surgeries that include high pressure irrigation such as orthopedic procedures.

4. Delta P (Pressure Differential): Delta P measures the air flow resistance of the medical mask and is an objective measure of breathability. The Delta P is measured in units of mm H2O/cm2 and the lower the value the more breathable the mask feels. The ASTM standard requires that masks have a Delta P of less than 6.0 for moderate and high barrier masks, whereas low barrier masks must have a Delta P of less than 5.0.

5. Flame Spread: As hospitals contain sources of oxygen, heat, and fuel the ASTM standards include testing for flame resistance. Testing dictates that all hospital masks must withstand exposure to a burning flame (within a specified distance) for three seconds. All PRIMED masks meet this requirement.

5.5 ISO Certification: In addition to the above tests, all medical face masks must be tested to an international standard (ISO 10993-5, 10) for skin sensitivity and cytotoxic tests to ensure that no materials are harmful to the wearer. Tests are conducted on materials used in construction of the mask which come in contact with the user's skin

What is the difference between a medical mask and a respirator?​

Medical masks (surgical/procedure masks) are loose fitting masks that cover the mouth and nose. They are designed to stop large droplets and splashes or sprays, but are not designed to seal tightly to the face or filter small airborne contaminants.

A respirator is an item of PPE designed to reduce exposure to airborne contaminants. Known airborne pathogens include TB, SARS, Anthrax, and Hanta virus. Respirators must be individually selected to fit the wearers face and shown to provide a good seal. They also must be certified by NIOSH, and used within a comprehensive respiratory program including fit testing and training.

Post-lockdown SARS-CoV-2 nucleic acid screening in nearly ten million residents of Wuhan, China​

Advantage® 290 Half-Mask Respirator with Source Control​

Community and Close Contact Exposures Associated with COVID-19 Among Symptomatic Adults ≥18 Years in 11 Outpatient Health Care Facilities — United States, July 2020

The US Centre for Disease Control performed a study which showed that 85 percent of those who contracted Covid-19 during July 2020 were mask wearers. Just 3.9 percent of the study participants never wore a mask.
Original: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/pdfs/mm6936a5-H.pdf
Erratum. correction: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6938a7.htm?s_cid=mm6938a7_w https://www.theblaze.com/op-ed/horowitz-cdc-study-covid-masks

now of of course i have NOT gone into the murky world of PCR testing accuracy

which also might taint any recent research
The medical science on mask wearing is unequivocal, and an essential component of opening up strategies, yet you dig up irrelevant and discredited information. Your CDC link for example was about the relevance of close contact settings, and actually advocated greater mask wearing as a strategy to reduce covid. Your link to a Lifesitenews has been discredited to the point that Facebook removed them from their site for covid information violations.

That said, I repeat you claimed we have seen "... massive changes in scientific thinking WITHOUT new evidence and solid data presented" and I am not aware this is the case. Can you tell us what they are?

Last edited:
I've already got the tiles from Bunnings to do it, but why the hell am I paying strata insurance?
Then if I fix it and sell the place and a leak develops, who is at fault and who is responsible, them or me?
When they have asked for a tiler to carryout the repairs and something to show a waterproof membrane has been installed to Aust standards?
And the history of the incident, is documented with the Strata manager.
I have taken off the shower rose and taps, then installed a perspex sheet to extend past the damaged tiles and put the taps and rose back on so it is usable.
Shouldn't the insurance company send an assessor around, to quantify the damage? Then either organise repairs, or settle the claim with a payout and leave it with me to sort it out?
I mean seriously, they don't say "send us your policy premiums whenever you feel like it", we will cover you anyway.
The contents insurer, said send pictures of the damaged carpet and a quote, the replacement bedroom carpet goes in on Thursday.
Well finally a close to the burst pipe in the shower wall saga, I rang the insurance company and explained the situation, the lovely lady said was there any damage done other than in the shower, to which I replied yes the carpet which is being repaired under contents insurance.
So the lovely lady said what damage was done in the bathroom, vanities etc.
I said none the only damage is to the tiles on the wall which were removed to access the ruptured pipe in the wall.
She said what caused the ruptured pipe, I informed her the plumber who carried out the repair quoted the problem was due to the age of the pipe.
The lovely lady said, that comes under normal wear and tear, which we don't cover, thankyou and have a nice day. :mad:

Well finally a close to the burst pipe in the shower wall saga, I rang the insurance company and explained the situation, the lovely lady said was there any damage done other than in the shower, to which I replied yes the carpet which is being repaired under contents insurance.
So the lovely lady said what damage was done in the bathroom, vanities etc.
I said none the only damage is to the tiles on the wall which were removed to access the ruptured pipe in the wall.
She said what caused the ruptured pipe, I informed her the plumber who carried out the repair quoted the problem was due to the age of the pipe.
The lovely lady said, that comes under normal wear and tear, which we don't cover, thankyou and have a nice day. :mad:
Not my favourite companies.

We had a horse insured. It got a twisted bowel (in those days, that meant die in absolute agony over many many hours, or euthanize quick smart).

It was a Friday night and insurance company wasn't going to be open til Monday morning. We elected to euthanize that evening.

Insurance company wouldn't pay out as they didn't assess. IOW they expected us to bear the horse writhing in agony for at least 60 hours.

Inhuman c***s.

Luckily we insured via a broker. He was sooooo outraged, he paid us out himself and took insurance co. to court himself.

He won, but it took 4 years.

I've hated the mongrel bastids ever since.

Not my favourite companies.

We had a horse insured. It got a twisted bowel (in those days, that meant die in absolute agony over many many hours, or euthanize quick smart).

It was a Friday night and insurance company wasn't going to be open til Monday morning. We elected to euthanize that evening.

Insurance company wouldn't pay out as they didn't assess. IOW they expected us to bear the horse writhing in agony for at least 60 hours.

Inhuman c***s.

Luckily we insured via a broker. He was sooooo outraged, he paid us out himself and took insurance co. to court himself.

He won, but it took 4 years.

I've hated the mongrel bastids ever since.
Yep like I said, they are quick to take the premiums and look for any way to shirk their responsibility.
Obviously in a strata situation you can't insure the internal plumbing, which I find weird, it is either a part of the contents or a part of the building and I'm paying premiums on both.

Yep like I said, they are quick to take the premiums and look for any way to shirk their responsibility.
Obviously in a strata situation you can't insure the internal plumbing, which I find weird, it is either a part of the contents or a part of the building and I'm paying premiums on both.
Compare it with car insurance and blowing up the engine.
was it copper or plastic piping?

It was below the hot water tap, at the connection between the house hot water and the connecting stub below the hot tap, on the pressure side.

Barbell spread update:

Everything was smashed by the delta variant but check things out since the lows of a fortnight ago:

256245762762.jpg

But very different story when we run things out to the 3 month point:

1324523456232346.jpg

It's worth noting that the barbell spread was the play to use when markets believed we were on the climbout/the bull**** was in the rear vision mirror etc etc. It was thus also then hit the hardest when delta and so forth hit.

So as best I can tell, the barbell play is essentially a high beta one. If you think we're in the climbout then it's the play to run, but if we're not, then grab the lube.

Last edited:
I informed her the plumber who carried out the repair quoted the problem was due to the age of the pipe.

It was below the hot water tap, at the connection between the house hot water and the connecting stub below the hot tap, on the pressure side.
Did the plumber replace the pipe?

Because, it sounds to me like the problem would be due to the surfaces to be soldered and mated were not prepared properly in the first place and or a crap soldering job, then it's just a ticking bomb waiting to go off.

I would think a good joint would last as long as the pipe?
It hasn't been said it was a pinhole leak in the actual pipe, so old pipe sounds like bunkum.

I reckon an apprentice didn't do the job properly years ago.
Give the plumber a blast, cause he's made an assumption which can't be proven which has cost you time and money.

Did the plumber replace the pipe?

Because, it sounds to me like the problem would be due to the surfaces to be soldered and mated were not prepared properly in the first place and or a crap soldering job, then it's just a ticking bomb waiting to go off.

I would think a good joint would last as long as the pipe?
It hasn't been said it was a pinhole leak in the actual pipe, so old pipe sounds like bunkum.

I reckon an apprentice didn't do the job properly years ago.
Give the plumber a blast, cause he's made an assumption which can't be proven which has cost you time and money.
Spot on FG.
It was a crap soldered joint, there was insufficient solder put on in the first place, the pipe wasn't fractured but you could actually see the joint had seperated. The plumber used oxy and silver solder did a good job, put enough on that the join line is obscured.
I should have said I was drilling a hole in the shower wall, to hang a soap holder for my wife, who is vertically challenged, and I drilled through the pipe. ?

The plumber used oxy and silver solder did a good job, put enough on that the join line is obscured.
In my opinion, a good job would be taking all old solder off, all copper in area back to bright and shiny... etc.
Without that, it's a bandaid fix really. The question is, how long it will last this time?

At least we know what to say to insurance companies now... mongrels.

In my opinion, a good job would be taking all old solder off, all copper in area back to bright and shiny... etc.
Without that, it's a bandaid fix really. The question is, how long it will last this time?

At least we know what to say to insurance companies now... mongrels.
The plumber wasn't going to do all that, but he put plenty of silver solder on, and the original one lasted 30 years.
I will probably gut the bathroom in the next couple of years and remove the bath, then make a modern walk in shower recess without a hob, so the pipes to the current shower will be cut in the ceiling space and wont be an issue, as that shower will be removed.
Well that job is all dependent on when the dividends start coming in again, just got to hope @Humid keeps working, to pay for them. ?

No, it has been eating at me all day, I can't let it go, what isn't fair wear and tear, if a copper pipe isn't ? The roof falls in, fair wear and tear, the ceilings fall in, fair wear and tear, the sewage blocks fair wear and tear, the building falls down, fair wear and tear. FFS
I'm going to take it further. :mad:

Last edited:
No, it has been eating at me all day, I can't let it go, what isn't fair wear and tear, if a copper pipe isn't ? The roof falls in, fair wear and tear, the ceilings fall in, fair wear and tear, the sewage blocks fair wear and tear, the building falls down, fair wear and tear. FFS
I'm going to take it further. :mad:
Nah your on a hiding for nothing
If you want to claim for the damage the leaking tube caused ...no problem
The hydraulic is a different matter...like a car engine/ gearbox not covered

3476374537535.jpg

NIO (which I hold) made a big announcement/forward guidance a couple of days ago that their supply is going to be constrained based on this same problem. Tesla did as well.

Nek minnut:

425642576425.jpg

One hour. One hour and it was back to its previous price.