Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Economic implications of a SARS/Coronavirus outbreak

wasted resources , and distraction from productivity comes straight to mind , stuff like extra signage ( and not biodegradable either )

folks standing outside doing nothing but checking peoples faces , looks as funny as hell when entering , say a bank or jeweler

in a cratering economy we are wasting time and productivity
And money..not that money is worth much...and all of these made in china. Who would have thought???

I dont know if it a sign of the times or just the way life is, but I had a burst water pipe in the wall, it is strata situation the strata insurance dont pay for the plumber to fix it and neither does the contents insurer.
Normally I use the same insurer for both, but this strata insurer doesnt do contents.
So Im in for another argument or two,meenwhile the missus os asking why it is taking so long to fix. OMG
The ongoing saga from the 25th July, the plumber removed tiles on the shower wall, to fix the leak a month ago, the Strata insurance say get a quote froma tiler to fix the wall.
I've rung about 7 tilers, they wont even come to look at the job to give a quote, too busy, job too small. Obviously the building stimulus is working.

The ongoing saga from the 25th July, the plumber removed tiles on the shower wall, to fix the leak a month ago, the Strata insurance say get a quote froma tiler to fix the wall.
I've rung about 7 tilers, they wont even come to look at the job to give a quote, too busy, job too small. Obviously the building stimulus is working.
Go to Bunnings tightarse

The problem is, with it being strata, they own the plumbing etc not you.
So they want a certificate of waterproofing etc, which means gutting the whole shower and I'm not a tiler.
Maybe you could come and do the job and i'll pay you, smartarse. ?
Being a pom how often do you really use it
Rexona is your answer

Being a pom how often do you really use it
Rexona is your answer
Lucky we're not at work, I could have you done for racial vilification, mental torment, bullying and name calling, you would be sacked and I'd get 6 weeks holiday's, a compensation payout and a written apology from the company manager. ?

I see the mining companies are going to have a name and shame page, for FIFO workers who are "naughty", do you reckon you'll get into the "hall of shame"? ? Or will you be able to keep your nasty streak under control? ;)

Last edited:
Lucky we're not at work, I could have you done for racial vilification, mental torment, bullying and name calling, you would be sacked and I'd get 6 weeks holiday's, a compensation payout and a written apology from the company manager. ?

I see the mining companies are going to have a name and shame page, for FIFO workers who are "naughty", do you reckon you'll get into the "hall of shame"? ? Or will you be able to keep your nasty streak under control? ;)

It's not racist if your white

Bunnings is a hardware store not a trades business.

If the problem is needing someone to do the work then going to a shop that sells the materials doesn't fix that.

If it was me then I'd just do the job but then I'm not dealing with strata....
I've already got the tiles from Bunnings to do it, but why the hell am I paying strata insurance?
Then if I fix it and sell the place and a leak develops, who is at fault and who is responsible, them or me?
When they have asked for a tiler to carryout the repairs and something to show a waterproof membrane has been installed to Aust standards?
And the history of the incident, is documented with the Strata manager.
I have taken off the shower rose and taps, then installed a perspex sheet to extend past the damaged tiles and put the taps and rose back on so it is usable.
Shouldn't the insurance company send an assessor around, to quantify the damage? Then either organise repairs, or settle the claim with a payout and leave it with me to sort it out?
I mean seriously, they don't say "send us your policy premiums whenever you feel like it", we will cover you anyway.
The contents insurer, said send pictures of the damaged carpet and a quote, the replacement bedroom carpet goes in on Thursday.

Last edited:
Vietnam starting to import live cattle from South America, to shore up post covid food supply.
From the article:
Michael Patching, an agricultural consultant based in Singapore, said the Vietnamese military was understood to be "heavily involved" in the import, in an attempt to shore up food security.

"Ho Chi Minh City has been heavily impacted recently with a severe outbreak of COVID-19 and the city is in severe lockdown," he said.

"The army has been called in to lead the control of [lockdown] and the disease response.
"So there could be a relationship to that and the food security of the army."
Vietnam is Australia's second biggest customer for live cattle, with close to 300,000 head exported to the country in 2020.

A live export trade between Brazil and South-East Asia has long been discussed, especially as Australian cattle prices continued their rapid rise over the past few years.

"If they are going through the army-channels, then the price side probably doesn't matter, as they are already being subsidised.

"But if [future shipments] had to go through traditional supply chains, then they would be competitive at best."

Dr Patching said the shipment was a test to see if a Brazil-Vietnam live cattle trade was feasible.

He said Indonesia and Thailand would also be closely observing the venture.

if you are really interested go to your local panel-beating workshop and ask about breathing gear in the spray booth ( and you can see about half that paint as it is being sprayed , it is much easier to find than a virus )

that wonderful N95 mask will not do enough even within 5 minutes
Covid mitigation strategies are in place because they are proven effective time and again via research.
These mitigation strategies allow economies to emerge earlier from lockdown and be operational even with covid present.

You claimed that we have seen "... massive changes in scientific thinking WITHOUT new evidence and solid data presented" and I am not aware this is the case. Can you tell us what they are.

so Covid has disappeared in NSW , Victoria , New Zealand , Iceland , or the UK ??

obviously it hasn't , just read the mainstream media try this one https://www.jpost.com/

it tries to walk the tight-rope between approved content and real journalism

of course you MIGHT have to use a different search engine than Google to get to informative places

so IF these strategies have worked time after time , why aren't they working this time .. when was the last time Australia had a medical lock-down before 2020 what about widespread mask mandates , or sealing state borders ???

if the strategies were so well understood why was Australia allowing international air travel to most of the world in 2020 , 3 months after there was a strong hint of a problem in Asia , that is China , South Korea , Taiwan and Singapore , obviously China's neighbours did not believe the virus was contained . some provided excellent lessons on slowing the spread , which we blissfully ignored for months

and the delightful part of this is you are still debating me about this EIGHTEEN MONTHS after the first known cases in Australia , telling me how successful this campaign has been BUT we still all must be vaccinated against a HIGHLY infectious virus .. surely 60% of Australians have had a brush with the virus by now .. you know hanging around medical clinics , medical centres , pharmacies , hospitals

i have had to visit FIVE different hospitals during this outbreak another four different medical centres two pharmacies and a medical clinic ... OH OH and two medical pathology collection centres .. my physiotherapist ( based in a Gym ) , BUT my other movements are restricted in case i catch the virus , somebody in the local IGA might be a super-spreader LOL

Sydney just cracked a new record. Total capitulation getting closer by the day.

Mask Protection Standards & Medical Face Mask Information For Use​

The filtration efficiency and protective ability of a face mask is compromised when the mask becomes wet, torn or dislodged. Generally speaking, the higher protection value of a mask the longer it will maintain filtration; however, there is no set rule for how long a mask should be worn as it depends on humidity levels, respiration rate, nasal discharge, talking, etc. A medical face mask should be worn for only one patient procedure or visit. If a mask gets wet or soiled it should be replaced.

ASTM standards are referenced by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), as the endorsed standard in the United States. ASTM F2100 specifies the performance requirements for Medical Face Masks with five basic criteria:

1. BFE (Bacterial Filtration Efficiency):
BFE measures how well the medical face mask filters out bacteria when challenged with a bacteria-containing aerosol. ASTM specifies testing with a droplet size of 3.0 microns containing Staph. Aureus (average size 0.6-0.8 microns). In order to be called a medical/surgical mask, a minimum 95% filtration rate is required. Moderate and high protection masks must have bacterial filtration rates greater than 98%.

Some manufacturers use the Modified Greene & Vesley method to determine the BFE rating. This method is NOT recommended by ASTM for product comparison or evaluating consistency.

2. PFE (Particulate Filtration Efficiency): PFE measures how well a hospital mask filters sub-micron particles with the expectation that viruses will be filtered in a similar manner. The higher the percentage, the better the mask filtration. Although testing is available using a particle size from 0.1 to 5.0 microns, ASTM F2100 specifies that a particle size of 0.1 micron be used.

When comparing test results it is important to note the size of the test particles used, as use of a larger particle size will produce a misleading PFE rating.

3. Fluid Resistance: Fluid resistance reflects the surgical mask’s ability to minimize the amount of fluid that could transfer from the outer layers through to the inner layer as the result of a splash or spray. ASTM specifies testing with synthetic blood at pressures of 80, 120, or 160 mm Hg to qualify for low, medium, or high fluid resistance. These pressures correlate to blood pressure: 80 mm Hg = venous pressure (Level 1), 120 mm Hg = arterial pressure (Level 2), and 160 mm Hg (Level 3) correlates to potential high pressures that may occur during trauma, or surgeries that include high pressure irrigation such as orthopedic procedures.

4. Delta P (Pressure Differential): Delta P measures the air flow resistance of the medical mask and is an objective measure of breathability. The Delta P is measured in units of mm H2O/cm2 and the lower the value the more breathable the mask feels. The ASTM standard requires that masks have a Delta P of less than 6.0 for moderate and high barrier masks, whereas low barrier masks must have a Delta P of less than 5.0.

5. Flame Spread: As hospitals contain sources of oxygen, heat, and fuel the ASTM standards include testing for flame resistance. Testing dictates that all hospital masks must withstand exposure to a burning flame (within a specified distance) for three seconds. All PRIMED masks meet this requirement.

5.5 ISO Certification: In addition to the above tests, all medical face masks must be tested to an international standard (ISO 10993-5, 10) for skin sensitivity and cytotoxic tests to ensure that no materials are harmful to the wearer. Tests are conducted on materials used in construction of the mask which come in contact with the user's skin

What is the difference between a medical mask and a respirator?​

Medical masks (surgical/procedure masks) are loose fitting masks that cover the mouth and nose. They are designed to stop large droplets and splashes or sprays, but are not designed to seal tightly to the face or filter small airborne contaminants.

A respirator is an item of PPE designed to reduce exposure to airborne contaminants. Known airborne pathogens include TB, SARS, Anthrax, and Hanta virus. Respirators must be individually selected to fit the wearers face and shown to provide a good seal. They also must be certified by NIOSH, and used within a comprehensive respiratory program including fit testing and training.

Post-lockdown SARS-CoV-2 nucleic acid screening in nearly ten million residents of Wuhan, China​

Advantage® 290 Half-Mask Respirator with Source Control​

Community and Close Contact Exposures Associated with COVID-19 Among Symptomatic Adults ≥18 Years in 11 Outpatient Health Care Facilities — United States, July 2020

The US Centre for Disease Control performed a study which showed that 85 percent of those who contracted Covid-19 during July 2020 were mask wearers. Just 3.9 percent of the study participants never wore a mask.
Original: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/pdfs/mm6936a5-H.pdf
Erratum. correction: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6938a7.htm?s_cid=mm6938a7_w https://www.theblaze.com/op-ed/horowitz-cdc-study-covid-masks

now of of course i have NOT gone into the murky world of PCR testing accuracy

which also might taint any recent research