Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Donald Trump - Business and tax stories

This story gives a factual analysis of the history of the hush money affair and the roles of the various players. There are many moving parts in the story which will have an impact on the overall case.

Cohen made recordings of a conversation in which he and Mr Trump spoke about the arrangement to pay Karen McDougal through the tabloid publisher. Mr Trump denies the affair.

The links are hot on the original story

1680582701159.png

From the ABC story on the background to Trumps hush money affair.

Joseph Tacopina is the public face of Mr Trump’s defence team.

Mr Trump is just the latest big name to turn to Mr Tacopina, whose past clients have included the rappers Meek Mill, Jay-Z and A$AP Rocky and baseball great Alex Rodriguez.

In recent weeks, Mr Tacopina has been making the former president’s case on TV news shows, questioning Alvin Bragg’s investigation and motives, challenging Michael Cohen’s credibility as a star witness and suggesting Mr Trump was extorted.

It wasn’t always like that.

In a TV appearance in 2018, long before Mr Tacopina started representing Mr Trump, he told CNN that the payment to Ms Daniels appeared to be "illegal" and a "potential campaign finance issue".

He told the network that claims Mr Trump wasn't aware of the payment "doesn't pass the straight-face test".

Mr Trump hired Mr Tacopina in January, initially to defend him against a civil lawsuit brought by magazine columnist E Jean Carroll, who says Mr Trump raped her in the mid-1990s.

That case is scheduled to go to trial this month.

From the ABC story on the background to Trumps hush money affair.

Joseph Tacopina is the public face of Mr Trump’s defence team.

Mr Trump is just the latest big name to turn to Mr Tacopina, whose past clients have included the rappers Meek Mill, Jay-Z and A$AP Rocky and baseball great Alex Rodriguez.

In recent weeks, Mr Tacopina has been making the former president’s case on TV news shows, questioning Alvin Bragg’s investigation and motives, challenging Michael Cohen’s credibility as a star witness and suggesting Mr Trump was extorted.

It wasn’t always like that.

In a TV appearance in 2018, long before Mr Tacopina started representing Mr Trump, he told CNN that the payment to Ms Daniels appeared to be "illegal" and a "potential campaign finance issue".

He told the network that claims Mr Trump wasn't aware of the payment "doesn't pass the straight-face test".

Mr Trump hired Mr Tacopina in January, initially to defend him against a civil lawsuit brought by magazine columnist E Jean Carroll, who says Mr Trump raped her in the mid-1990s.

That case is scheduled to go to trial this month.
I can't imagine that a lawyer might be a little two faced!
I'm shocked I tell you, shocked!
Mick

I can't imagine that a lawyer might be a little two faced!
I'm shocked I tell you, shocked!
Mick
I know . I slipped off my seat as well. ;)
I think that when he was being interviewed in 2018 as an independent legal observer he had quite a different perspective than coming onboard as a paid mouth piece.

The history/roles of the other players are intriguing. The terms of the indictment will make clear what the DA sees as the legal perils Trump faces.
From Trumps POV I don't think the ins and outs of how the hush payments were structured and whether he is at risk of campaign violations or other dodgy dealings is the main problem. As I see it he has steadfastly stated he never had sex with Stormy or I assume Karen Mcdougal. His position has been these were extortion attempts and that he decided to simply pay up rather than risk bad publicity.

In that context he goes into this trial accusing the two women of lying.
If he holds to his view he will be put on oath and asked if he had ever had a sexual relationship with either women. If he says no the two women and at least 3 other people will come to the witness box and tell their story of firstly what happened to them and secondly what they were told by Trump and the evidence that was supplied by both woman. If this plays out in front of a jury I cannot see how these denials will be accepted. If any party can provide concrete evidence of a relationship Trump would be in danger of going down for perjury. That alone takes this into the felony field. I guess that would be the legal advice he receives.

Anyway this is all for the Sun God and legal minions to consider.

Being falsely accused to earn "Go away" money is very common in the states. 90% of the time its cheaper and less hassle to just payout the accusers.

There is a tonne of insurance fraud claims as well.

We don't know the full story as of yet.

It should also be noted that Biden, Obama, AOC and Omar were all fined for misusing campaign funds. Essentially the same crime Trumps being accused of. In AOC case I believe it was to the tune of around $1million.

Normally it's a misdemeanour, but they moved it up to a felony for Trump.

Hillary Clinton actually got done for claiming the pee pee dossier as an expense. She also lied under oath about knowing about it. She copped a fine.

But here we are at the point of arresting political opponents. They better hope they sink Trump because they will get wrecked if he manages to become president again. Maybe they will get him in a cell and he will die from natural causes.

It should also be noted that Biden, Obama, AOC and Omar were all fined for misusing campaign funds. Essentially the same crime Trumps being accused of. In AOC case I believe it was to the tune of around $1million.

Normally it's a misdemeanour, but they moved it up to a felony for Trump.

Hillary Clinton actually got done for claiming the pee pee dossier as an expense. She also lied under oath about knowing about it. She copped a fine.

But here we are at the point of arresting political opponents. They better hope they sink Trump because they will get wrecked if he manages to become president again. Maybe they will get him in a cell and he will die from natural causes.

It isn't the most significant case against Donald Trump is it ? I believe the issue of playing with campaign funds would normally be a big yawn. The fact that Trumps lawyer has already gone down for 3 years after following his masters direction in disguising the hush money should be a signal.

It will be far more interesting to see how the cases around trying to overturn the Georgia election votes, the repeated refusal to return classified documents and Trumps role in egging on the Jan 6th insurrectionists progresses.

And it will be worth the wait to see how Trump responds in court to allegations and evidence around the relationships he had with Karen Mcdougal and Stormy Daniels.

One of the biggest fears Trumps lawyers would face is Trump actually on the witness stand, that will be prime time TV followed by yellow jump suit. ? ? ?

It isn't the most significant case against Donald Trump is it ? I believe the issue of playing with campaign funds would normally be a big yawn. The fact that Trumps lawyer has already gone down for 3 years after following his masters direction in disguising the hush money should be a signal.

It will be far more interesting to see how the cases around trying to overturn the Georgia election votes, the repeated refusal to return classified documents and Trumps role in egging on the Jan 6th insurrectionists progresses.

And it will be worth the wait to see how Trump responds in court to allegations and evidence around the relationships he had with Karen Mcdougal and Stormy Daniels.
There's cases coming up that have a lot more meat. By then he maybe president and pardon himself

Here's the problem:
Trial conducted in venue located in an area of 1% of Republican voters.

The judge is a known Trump hater who has been impartial in cases before.

He was/is the attack dog on the bannon and Weisselberg cases

The daughter of the judge Loren Merchan worked for kamala and then the Biden/Harris campaign.

Forget a fair Trial. This is a partisan setup from top to bottom. Hopefully twitter outs enough corruption.

Here's the problem:

The judge is a known Trump hater who has been impartial in cases before.

He was/is the attack dog on the bannon and Weisselberg cases

The daughter of the judge Loren Merchan worked for kamala and then the Biden/Harris campaign.

Forget a fair Trial. This is a partisan setup from top to bottom. Hopefully twitter outs enough corruption.
The American experiment is finished, probably eventually taking the whole of Western liberalism with it. There are dark days coming IMO.

Last edited:
C'mon you blokes and blokesses, get real.
We all know from Movies(eg teh castle) that facts, precedents etc have no real bearing on legal matters.
All that counts is "the Vibe".
And the Vibe is get trump in Jail.
Mick

*Conspiracy theory*

So Trump charges were leaked and democrats all got scared and fired up. Suddenly democrats band together.

So is it a coincidence the Trump arraignment falls in line with the Wisconsin election for Supreme court?

Seems like a great way to motivate lazy voters.

Here's the problem:

The judge is a known Trump hater who has been impartial in cases before. What ? Who says ? And was he partial or impartial previously

He was/is the attack dog on the bannon and Weisselberg cases . He was the Judge. In fact the defense were complimentary of his handling of the case

I don't know where you get your information Moxjo but this is way off beam. Having said that clearly Trump and co are laying the ground work for destroying confidence/respect in the Judge and any decision that isn't a full and unqualified acquittal including million dollar damages to Donald Trump.

Nicholas Gravante, who represented Weisselberg in the plea negotiations, said Merchan was “a real listener, well-prepared, always accessible, and a man who kept his word.”

"He was mindful of the role my colleagues and I played as advocates, treating us with the utmost respect both in open court and behind closed doors,” Gravante recalled.

The nuts of the 34 felony charges against Donald Trump.
Or How to catch and kill bad stories about Trump and (not) get away with it.

Clearly the 23 members of the grand jury believed the evidence they saw warranted a trial in which the defendent could argue his case

Being the USA, each day of the court case will be on TV and if anyone cares enough they can watch it all and decide for themselves.
Not going to help the other Republican nominees get any air time.