Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Does anybody here watch the Aunty?

wassies
Four corners - an old show from 2007 , "Global Meltdown" :eek:

Paul Barry was (sadly) spot on. :2twocents

Hey 2020, don't know if this should be on the jokes thread or not but John Hewson seems to be the ABC's resident economic expert nowadays.

Everytime I turn on for the weather forecast he's guffing off. Popped up in the AFR last week too.

Silliness spans all media nowadays, even the left ones.

It must be the Great Crash.

gg

Re: Does anybody here watch the aunty

Hi guys,

I was sort of watching the 7.30 report tonight whilst washing up, the discussion was about the market meltdown, the reporter was talking to a guy who worked for a company of which I didn’t catch the name, his outfit had a group of young traders in casual gear in front of huge screens, I couldn’t make out what they where up to.
I was just wondering what these guys were doing, I have heard mention of prop shops before on this forum which I initially assumed to be a propeller overhaul shop but was obviously mistaken,:D

Could someone shed some light on what this particular outfit is all about and what those young kids were trading?

Thanks.

Cutz.

cutz
didn't see it sorry
the missus had the cricket blasting - sheesh, lol.
Currency traders?

As for that 4 Corners Show, almost 12 months old, - prophesising the meldown in precise detail - and you'd swear you were watching the current news. :eek:

Yes I agree, rather ironic,

I recall at the time thinking it couldn’t possible get that bad but here we are and look what’s happened since.

Re: Does anybody here watch the aunty

Hi guys,

I was sort of watching the 7.30 report tonight whilst washing up, the discussion was about the market meltdown, the reporter was talking to a guy who worked for a company of which I didn’t catch the name, his outfit had a group of young traders in casual gear in front of huge screens, I couldn’t make out what they where up to.
I was just wondering what these guys were doing, I have heard mention of prop shops before on this forum which I initially assumed to be a propeller overhaul shop but was obviously mistaken,:D

Could someone shed some light on what this particular outfit is all about and what those young kids were trading?

Thanks.

Cutz.
I saw the 7.30 Report and don't recall anything about prop shops.
Are you perhaps referring to the section they had on derivatives trading?
These traders were working from large screens.
If you are really interested you can probably access the programme in full via the ABC's website.

You’re right Julia,

I checked it out to satisfy my curiosity and they were trading derivatives, Tibra Capital.

great 4 corners last night on the Murray-Darling Basin.
Trees dying - that have withstood the worst that nature (in the past) could throw at em. Proof positive this ain't just "a bad year".

Terrifying the overallocation and mismanagement that has been allowed to go on. :eek:

Tonight there's a doco on "Seed Hunter" or some such - capturing various seeds with their magically diverse genetic codes. Heard him interviewed on radio - I think he said that if world temperatures go up as predicted (maybe the high pessimistic end), he and his kind will need all their talents just to find varieties of grain that will grow - at all :eek: (or something like that).

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/guide/netw/200810/programs/ZY9145A001D21102008T203000.htm

Seed Hunter is a one-hour documentary, as part of the ABC's Future Makers series, about the hunt for seeds that may help save the world from its greatest ever crisis - a global food shortage brought about by human-induced climate change.

As Australia and much of the world wrestles with hotter weather and a dwindling water supply, mass starvation on a global scale is on the cards if we can't find ways to improve crop resilience. Scientists are exploring many solutions to adapt our food supply, including going back to Mother Nature herself to locate the genes that can withstand our changing climate; genes that, thanks to a high-yielding monoculture, have almost disappeared.

Australian scientist Dr Ken Street, aka the 'Seed Hunter', spends his life searching for the tiny seeds that could play a role in helping food producers around the world. This film follows Dr Ken, the 'Indiana Jones' of agriculture, on a journey from the drought-ravaged farms of Australia, to the heart of the Middle East, to the mountains of Tajikistan as he hunts for elusive wild chickpea that can survive temperatures of 40 degrees above and below zero. ... etc

At journey's end, Ken travels deep into the Arctic to deliver his precious bounty of seed to the impenetrable 'doomsday vault', built as a back-up for the world's seed supply of every food type known to humankind

Meet the Natives on ABC2 was a great series. Missed the early part. 5 men from Tanna (Pacific) went to the UK. Seems Prince Philip is the Son of thier God. Didn't know that. Must be why Liz married him.

Great show on Harold Holt tonight (8.30pm)
He had been shown evidence (obtained by black jack Mackewan) that there was every chance Billy McMahon was feeding data to Japan via media spies. (sounds like a right nerd that Billy) :eek:

Also he was on morphone for arm/back pain ... wouldn't have helped his judgment (diving into superwild surf full of serious rips).

No need to speculate why he had the sore back by the way ... one thing leads to another etc ;) Mrs Gillespie was pretty sad to see him floating off apparently.

Great show on Harold Holt tonight (8.30pm)

That was brilliant, and what a revelation about McMahon and a journo spy sending manufacturing secrets to the Japanese...look how there's (Japan) exploded in the 80's and look what's happened to our manufacturing industries.

Also he was on morphone for arm/back pain ... wouldn't have helped his judgment (diving into superwild surf full of serious rips).

JFK had a bad back during the Cuban missile crisis...I recall he was on something that they said could have impaired his judgment, though not sure if it was morphine.

They called him the 007 PM....that should just about summed it up. I believe if anything, he was showing off in front of his mistress and the youth in his company. As his son said, more bravado than brains.

Last week it was Fibro's and Silvertails, this week the PM is missing...I'm hoping for more Aussie-centric documentaries.

The ABC are a joke.

I was listening to RN this evening and they had a far left guy being interrogated by just a fair dinkum leftie for "balance".

Just a joke.

gg

doh
I just twigged that Keith Murdoch, the war correspondent who featured in last night's excellent ABC show about WWI on how John Monash won the war - and incidentally who tried to get him taken off the front line earlier in his career :rolleyes: - which could easily have cost the Allies the war - was Rupert's father :2twocents

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Murdoch

Brilliant night on ABC TV1!
Bill Leak painting June Salter ..
followed by the Howard Years! - sheesh how good does it get lol.

spew, you could have reminded me an hour ago before i started drinking...ALONE!! so my next question is... did anyone tape tonights Howard Years?

:bier:

blue

BL - not quite what you asked for , but if you go to this website and click "Episode 2" and the various interviews you get a good idea.

Sure to out on youtubes soon ;)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/howardyears/

GST
East Timor
Aboriginal Reconciliation
Tampa
Shane Stone Memo (suspicion on Howard for manipulating public opinion against Costello)
Credit given publicly by Howard to Geoff Kennett for GST (when Costello had done it all and Kennett, Costello's arch-enemy, had done nothing :confused: - just a nasty dude)
etc

PS the show will be available on ABC's iview for "a limited period" apparently :2twocents

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/iview/

Attachments

• iview.jpg
    iview.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 87
doh
I just twigged that Keith Murdoch, the war correspondent who featured in last night's excellent ABC show about WWI on how John Monash won the war - and incidentally who tried to get him taken off the front line earlier in his career - which could easily have cost the Allies the war - was Rupert's father

Definitely worth a doh...but a bigger doh must be reserved for the
conspiracy theorist far-right wing group in the US who believe anyone
successful either practises Judaism or once did...they believe the Murdochs
converted to Christianity. After watching Monash, I think it would be hard
to convince anyone that Ruperts old man was kosher :)

Re: Howard Years, some interesting topics...however Peter Reith looks like he
just tore of the wig and hastily wiped off the makeup before sitting down to
be interviewed. Very weird looking chap.

As for Costello, I guess all that skepticism about his 'liberal' views that came
out during his book launch can be put to bed, he very much is a liberal minded
individual in a pseudo-liberal party :)

Definitely worth a doh...but a bigger doh must be reserved for the
conspiracy theorist far-right wing group in the US who believe anyone
successful either practises Judaism or once did...they believe the Murdochs
converted to Christianity. After watching Monash, I think it would be hard
to convince anyone that Ruperts old man was kosher :)

Re: Howard Years, some interesting topics...however Peter Reith looks like he
just tore of the wig and hastily wiped off the makeup before sitting down to
be interviewed. Very weird looking chap.

As for Costello, I guess all that skepticism about his 'liberal' views that came
out during his book launch can be put to bed, he very much is a liberal minded
individual in a pseudo-liberal party :)

According to "Monash - The Outsider Who Won a War" by Roland Perry Random House 2004.
Murdoch was not concerned in the least about Monash's Jewish heritage. What concerned Murdoch was that Monash was not open to his influence. Murdoch had great ambitions as an influence peddler, especially after he managed to bring about the evacuation of Gallipoli by reporting the state of
affairs there. Murdoch preferred White for Australian Corps leader who was open to his influence. Charles Bean the WW1 historian was anti-semetic and also campaigned against Monash.
Monash was arguably the greatest Australian ever. The battle tactics he developed were taken up by the British and essentially won the war. But his real value was his leadership of men. 300,00 turned out for his funeral in Melbourne in 1931. The politicians, especially Hughes, were however afraid of him and worked to keep him out of the public eye.

Hey long$$, I'm going off memory from the dramatisation scene from the Monash doco during the exchange b/w Murdoch and the British General who defended Monash's lineage.