Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Does anybody here watch the Aunty?

howdy tr,

Hey 2020 - we're you been hiding?
1. hell man, that 's my absolute favourite lol.
and the bastard could drive all along, and didn't need Sam, the blonde driver, lol (stawberry blonde / redhead whatever) - dirty ole man syndrome.
https://www.aussiestockforums.com/for...d.php?p=320877
I was gonna say...she's a blonde not red head as per your limerick/poem ;-)
I don't know if he's dirty, since he is a widower and hasn't been with anyone else, but was interested in that divorcee. Recall, his pilot son was in a relationship with Sam, but broke it off recently, and now she's seeing a GI :)

I love the show because it gives you a glimpse of what life is like during a world war. Ppl trying to go on about their lives with the constant threat of the Lufansa (sp?) bombing them.

Industry and commerce still go on with women also taking up occupation as welders, opposition to the government and war - in the form of a left wing, can't recall that 'traitor' mentioned but I have a feeling he isn't a fictitious character since the events of the show are based on real events...and the theme of the show, crime. And when you think about it, there would be more crime during war-time, the illegal moon-shine operation, siphoning off of petrol/oil, stealing of building materials and selling them on the black market, rations - the illegal slaughter of a pig, notice how their eyes light up when that womans society had on the feast, or when the Americans invited them over, infidelity - wonder how many illegitimate children were born during the war?

The episode a fortnight ago, was a beauty where the execs from the shipbuilding co. falsely claimed a doubling of the workforce so as to pocket wages for themselves. How many times in life has this been used since?

And even though countries/governments were at war with each other, commerce in the form of businesses continuing trade with the enemy still going on. I guess we've all heard of IBM, but Coke Co. selling the Germans Fanta, 'cause Coke-a-cola could be politically damaging was only something I heard recently. (Sidenote: maybe that's why Fanta has cancer causing castogens and I haven't had a drop of it in 10 yrs!) In Foyles War, they had that episode where the well known UK co. had an office in Switzerland and was continuing to do business with the Germans. The MD or whatever he was, justified to Foyle by rattling off a no. of UK businesses and made the point, once the war is over, trade continues, though they were closet Nazis. I just recalled, how accurate that doco the Corporation is.

I guess the Brits continue to keep their reputations intact with quality shows like this. At a staggering 1.5 hrs an episode with great attention to detail to make you think you're watching something from the 40's has to be applauded. I get the DVD recorder ready every Saturday night and record for archival purposes ;-) Hell, if I'm too wired & can't sleep due to work or the markets I'll watch the repeat on Tuesdays :)

2. missed it , but I've heard rave reviews by the critics - and allegedly the first show was one of the weakest oft he series. Maybe because it had to introduce all the characters - including her triple personality lol
Sounds a bit like "The Three Faces of Eve".
Usually pilots/first episodes are, but I didn't find that with this show...will definitely be watching more...seems Spielberg has a winner with this one, and Collette could see herself with an Emmy.

The fact that Collette has gone from Motion Picture to TV...apparently a big no no in the celluloid world has made me recall another fav show of mine making it's TV debut on SBS - Entourage!

A thread back from the crypt, best fit on short notice.

Don't miss Great Expectations at 7:30 on Sunday night 11 March. Part 2 of a 3 part series by the BBC in 2011. Nobody does costume drama better than the BBC. A real twist in tomorrow night's plot. Based on a story by some bloke called Charles Dickens. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Expectations_(2011_TV_serial)

Production values and plot. It just doesn't get any better than this. Gladly pay my 8c for the day.