Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Does anybody here watch the Aunty?

Hey long$$, I'm going off memory from the dramatisation scene from the Monash doco during the exchange b/w Murdoch and the British General who defended Monash's lineage.

No offence taken - just a comment on influence peddling journalists - they are still around.

No you're right, I watched the doco again last night, that was Bean doing the talking not Murdoch. I don't know how accurate the dramatisation scene in the doco is but Murdoch is present when the comment is made but doesn't say anything. It was Murdoch's idea to influence opinion back home to have Monash assigned to admin duties in England and White to be promoted to 'superior solider' to command the war.

I like to download these little gems from the abc website...I really had no clue who he was. The only Australian General I'd ever heard of was Cosgrove...sad
really that Australian history isn't flogged more. With such an overdose of
American history and culture on Australian commerical and cable tv it shouldn't
be of any surprise that one can name more American generals than our own...Custer, Lee, McArthur, Powell, and Patton quickly spring to mind.

rookie, I can only recommend the book I mentioned. It shows how the great can be prevented from doing their best for their country by the jealousies and fears of lesser men. Besides that it is "riveting" - Peter Cosgrove says on the front cover - the reason I bought it despite having no idea of who Monash was apart from the name of the university.

Attachments

• stalin.jpg
    stalin.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 111
wow lol
How about the ABC show 9.55 pm tonight ...
alleging that a lot of women in the First Fleet were hookers lol (I think)
The Floating Brothel
Time: Thursday, January 8, 9.55pm
Channel: ABC1
Duration: 60 minutes
Rating: M
Type: Documentary
Format: Closed Captions, Repeat, Widescreen Come aboard The Lady Juliana on a bodice-ripping tale of the fallen women who sailed across the seas and turned their lives around to become the unlikely founding mothers of modern Australia
shinbone , I was gonna try to get to bed early too ;)

PS and the Lady Juliana later with 200 odd "women only"

With racism being the hot topic at the moment.

9:30pm AEDST N!gger lovers: Stephen Hagan is now known internationally for trying to get the word '******' removed from a sign at a sports ground in Queensland's Toowoomba, a battle which he is fighting all the way to the Bankruptcy Court as he is sued for bankruptcy by the Toowoomba Sports Trust.

The fight is over the name of the sports ground, named after 'E.S. "N!gger" Brown', a famous local sporting hero of the 1930s whose nickname was N!gger.

Followed by Constructing Australia: the bridge. The trials and tribulations of building the Sydney Harbour Bridge...will have the dvd recorder ready for that one!

With racism being the hot topic at the moment.

9:30pm AEDST N!gger lovers: Stephen Hagan is now known internationally for trying to get the word '******' removed from a sign at a sports ground in Queensland's Toowoomba, a battle which he is fighting all the way to the Bankruptcy Court as he is sued for bankruptcy by the Toowoomba Sports Trust.

The fight is over the name of the sports ground, named after 'E.S. "N!gger" Brown', a famous local sporting hero of the 1930s whose nickname was N!gger.

This is a great example of PC stupidity. ****** Brown was the affectionate term used by everyone who knew this man, and apparently accepted by Mr Brown perfectly happily.
Stephen Hagan needs to get a life doing something useful.

Oh for goodness sake! I don't believe it! Now I see why Trading Rookie has written N!gger.
I typed the proper word in full and it has come out in asterisks.

Joe, is this at your behest?

As a kid, I had a cat called N!gger! He would have been pretty unimpressed to know his name was unmentionable.

The Chasers' War on Everything is back on tomorrow night, 9pm.
Great!

wassies
I think it's fair to say that Chaser's War is well worth the watch tonight ;)

(I agree with Julia and others that they deserved some time in the wilderness with that sick skit about the kids at death's door asking for "a break" :eek:)

but I think that they've moved on - and tonight (the last for this series) is arguably worth the watch.
There's even a genuine sense of "moving on" to a higher standard of humour :2twocents

Reminiscent of the good old days.

cheers

Well I think that was one of the BEST they've ever done!!! They saved the best until last. Anyone who doesn't find them funny has NO sense of humour. The security guard sketch was excellent! :D:D:D Can't wait to see what they come back with.

Forget Chasers, they were so last year, watched maybe 5min this year and found them boring...bring on more of Foyle's War and can't wait for the sequel to Life on Mars, Ashes to Ashes.....oh and more Spooks :)

Anyone catch that new bizarre show last night? United States of Tara? Aussie Toni Collette of Muriel's Wedding fame plays a 'mom' with multiple personality disorder. The disorders come out when she's stressed, like the 15 yr old trapped in the body of a 40 yr old who finds out her teenage daughter has a prescription for the morning after pill.

ps - Good to see Ally back on Lateline Business ;-)

.1. bring on more of Foyle's War

2. Anyone catch that new bizarre show last night? United States of Tara? ... multiple personality disorder.
howdy tr,

1. hell man, that 's my absolute favourite lol.
and the bastard could drive all along, and didn't need Sam, the blonde driver, lol (stawberry blonde / redhead whatever) - dirty ole man syndrome.
https://www.aussiestockforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=320877

2. missed it , but I've heard rave reviews by the critics - and allegedly the first show was one of the weakest ofthe series. Maybe because it had to introduce all the characters - including her triple personality lol
Sounds a bit like "The Three Faces of Eve". :2twocents