Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

David Hicks protests

the following is just general discussion, not necessarily about Hicks, but speaking of Korean POW's, here's an article which is very long (14 pages) in its entirety, but is an interesting read nonetheless - goes on to discuss the movies made after the Korean War, and the mindset of the American people at that time to the Korean tactics. They slowly come round from accusing collaborators as traitors, to accepting human frailty under such circumstances. (as reflected by box office failures of movies etc)

Not about Hicks, just arguably a role reversal for USA to be the ones using these or similar techniques outside the Geneva Convention. Some pertinent references to Vietnam (and Korea) where the treatment of returning soldiers was severely influenced by the fact that it was perceived that they had lost. As if it was their fault !!
http://fornits.com/anonanon/articles/200103/20010330-258.htm
Sandwiched between the heroic films of World War II and Vietnam are a group of prison camp films that depart from convention in every case. This mostly grim subgenre depicted the American experience of captivity during the Korean War. Some form of collaboration with the enemy is a central issue in all six feature films about American soldiers imprisoned in Korea. These mostly forgotten films are, in chronological order, Prisoner of War (1954), The Bamboo Prison (1954), The Rack (1956), Time Limit (1957), The Manchurian Candidate (1962) and Sergeant Ryker (1968). The Outer Limits television episode 'Nightmare' (1963) also fits the pattern. Prompted by a misperception of whole-scale collaboration in Korean prison camps, these dramas were forced to flip convention on its head and acknowledge frailty, weakness and unfaithfulness.
…….
The glaring difference between Korean POW films and others is attributable to the prisoner image being melded to different aspects of the particular conflict. The attention put on POWs was due in part to the wider Korean stalemate which threw into question the resolve of the entire nation. America's inability to prevail was transferred to the prisoners' failure to do the same. We may have betrayed the POWs in Vietnam, but, in Korea, they betrayed us. The hypersensitivity over prisoner performance contrasts with World War II, where victory made introspection unnecessary. Prisoners are important in Vietnam lore, but to different ends. H. Bruce Franklin and Elliott Gruner explored the representation of the Vietnam POW/MIA. The alleged abandonment of live POWs symbolized the government using men, then throwing them away when the effort became too costly. The Vietnam action film also emphasized the cruelty of captors, showing Americans to have been victims rather than perpetrators.
….
Unlike previous wars, Korea ended not with an atomic bang or conquest of a foreign capital, but when the last prisoner stepped off the boat. Under this kind of scrutiny and with no victory celebration for distraction, collaboration in prison camps could not remain the great unmentionable. Hints during the war of widespread collaboration became a flood as the POWs docked. It took a month to repatriate all the Americans, providing daily anecdotal evidence of treason. Each boat-load of returnees provided reporters with headlines like 'P.W.s Say Some G.I.s "Swallowed" Red Line, Bitter G.I.s Out to "Get" Informers Among P.W.s', or, simply, 'The Rats'. By the most agitated estimate, one-third of all POWs were guilty of some sort of collaboration with the enemy. By another account it was one in seven. Most disturbing were the defectors. Initially, 23 American prisoners chose communism over returning home. Reporters exposed the 'personal flaws' that led to treason. He was 'raised in a city slum', began one news story, and he had a sister confined to an orphanage and blinded by syphilis [24]. Defectors were regularly seen as either craven or as little boys requiring heart-rending appeals. The governor of Maryland joined one mother in a taped plea asking her son to return home. 'We all make mistakes', suggested the governor. 'Regardless of what you may have been told', he added, 'the United States has no imperialist ambitions'. 'Jack, please hurry', added the mother, her voice breaking [25]. Collaboration was understood as a defect primarily in the individual, secondarily in the environment, but rarely as a predictable occurrence in wartime incarceration.
http://www.cyberussr.com/hcunn/e-asia/korea-pow.html includes names of USA personnel tried after the war. (if anyone wants to go into that details - surely enough to know that under torture, deprivation etc, people will eventually crack. Some of these had 3 years of it ( Hicks has had 5 )

Incidentally, Gen William Dean was captured, and despite torture did not disclose that he knew of the planned Inchon invasion. He did not stick to "name rank serial number", but told them a series of half truths in various red herrings. Repeatedly interrogated for 72 hrs at a stint. (no actual torture). "During the third multiday interrogation, Dean sensed he was going to break, and was then narrowly prevented from committing suicide. He was not bothered after that."

Other quotes include:-
"Pentagon Burgess Committee knew that few could resist as well as Gen Dean, let alone remain silent. A rear admiral told the committee that all his own interrogation experts claimed to be able to 'extract information from anybody, and they say that they can do it without using actual torture.

One of the movies after the war was "Prisoner of War" starring Ronald Reagan - "he plays the fearless Web Sloane , who sneaks into a prison camp to collect proof of violations of the Geneva Convention" etcetc

in The Rack, Paul Newman plays a captured POW who cracks. A few reviewers said that "collaborators were more to be pitied than scorned". "The response to the prisoners of limited war remained divided between a sympathy that seemed to excuse weakness and a Spartan code that was unrealistic and heartless".

PS Strongly religious people were the strongest to resist.(although not mentioned in this article)

2020hindsight said:
the following is just general discussion, not necessarily about Hicks, but speaking of Korean POW's, here's an article which is very long (14 pages)
http://fornits.com/anonanon/articles/200103/20010330-258.htm

http://www.cyberussr.com/hcunn/e-asia/korea-pow.html includes names of USA personnel tried after the war. (if anyone wants to go into that details - surely enough to know that under torture, deprivation etc, people will eventually crack. Some of these had 3 years of it ( Hicks has had 5 )

PS Strongly religious people were the strongest to resist.(although not mentioned in this article)

Dear 2020,

You are living in the land of the wi****couldabeens.

You have provided no evidence, merely opinions and cant.

However you have made me look anew at Hicks.

A medical or psych defence may be more appropriate for this guy.

He doesn't sound like the brightest star in the firmananet.

Garpal

Final notes...also from http://fornits.com/anonanon/articles/200103/20010330-258.htm

The play "Time Limit" was made into a film. "Films in Review called the story 'tendentious' for even considering a threshhold for resistance. 'A time limit on heroism? What an insidious implication' ".
"In actual disciplinary policy , collaboration in Korea was mitigated by duress. Internal Pentagon documents were explicit in saying that 'no disciplinary action' was taken if POW's colluded under duress' ".

PS Garpal, I won't go into detail, other than to say that there was an American Sergeant who threw fellow prisoners out into the snow because they smelt of dysantry - where they froze to death - found guilty of murder - obviously the worst of the collaborators - but interestingly (since duration of sentences will no doubt be discussed in the future, after guilty verdict in a sham trial if they go with military commission) I think he got 10 years , or was it 7. It's on that website I posted.

But I've gottta feeling all this is going over your head.

2020hindsight said:
Final notes...also from http://fornits.com/anonanon/articles/200103/20010330-258.htm

The play "Time Limit" was made into a film. "Films in Review called the story 'tendentious' for even considering a threshhold for resistance. 'A time limit on heroism? What an insidious implication' ".
"In actual disciplinary policy , collaboration in Korea was mitigated by duress. Internal Pentagon documents were explicit in saying that 'no disciplinary action' was takken if POW's colluded under distress' "

Dear 2020,

As a former ADF member who has served o'seas,

If it was a choice between my balls and the security of the Western way of life, my balls would take prescedence.

Garpal

An Australian citizen captured in Afghanistan by the Americans and their Allies..
Is he being held and tried in Afghanistan?....
Is he being held and tried in Australia?........
Is he being held and tried in America?.........
Is he being held and tried in any of the Allies countries?
Why not?..............................................
Why Cuba?............................................

rederob said:
Nothing worse than an Army cook.
Except those that served overseas ;)

Dear rederob,

This is the last time I will ever correspond with you.

You are a grub.

I have served with members of the Catering Corps.

They are fully trained ADF members, with the ability, as proven in previous combat to acquit themselves personally.

More importantly they provide each Digger with 3 meals a day, either hot and served, or as ration packs.

Many are fitter than infantry soldiers, and in combat over the years have had their fair share of medals.

Although I do not belong to this corps, I resent my self disclosure being used by you, in such a petty way.

Again rederob , you are a grub.

Garpal

Garpal Gumnut said:
Dear rederob,

This is the last time I will ever correspond with you.

You are a grub.

I have served with members of the Catering Corps.

They are fully trained ADF members, with the ability, as proven in previous combat to acquit themselves personally.

More importantly they provide each Digger with 3 meals a day, either hot and served, or as ration packs.

Many are fitter than infantry soldiers, and in combat over the years have had their fair share of medals.

Although I do not belong to this corps, I resent my self disclosure being used by you, in such a petty way.

Again rederob , you are a grub.

Garpal
Garpal
My service number is 550198 - so how's that for disclosure.
Lighten up soldier!

rederob said:
Garpal
My service number is 550198 - so how's that for disclosure.
Lighten up soldier!
And, if you hunt down service publications you will find my name on the Defence Regional Service Review for Queensland (1993 or thereabouts).
By the way, I did my initial training at Campbell Barracks and I reckon you would know where that was.

Stop_the_clock said:
LOL....appears rederob makes enemies where ever he goes...By the way how is RBY workin' for ya... :rolleyes:
krisbarry
I don't post to make friends or enemies - they can come and go as they please.
There is also an oceanic gulf between an enemy and a ramper, the latter's boots being filled by you more often than not. Double that gulf for someone who fails to heed the fundamentals or the charts, yet continues to trot out the same woeful line.
On thread now: I hope Garpal will be back in this debate as 2020 has too many "fors" and not enough "againsts", which tips the balance and skews the views.

I have changed my trading plan and are fully in resource stocks now. I am only buying stocks with a small amount of shares on issue. Its working well, thanks for asking.

Anyway back to this boring old thread...David Hicks...

Sorry to add nothing of vaule to this thread about David Hicks...I have no comment, and not really interested.

Stop_the_clock said:
I have changed my trading plan and are fully in resource stocks now.
Good luck.
I intend to lighten up my resources exposure this year, but the sign I had hoped to see - after a flashing orange signal - keeps changing back to green, instead of red.

I might have to start the "Come back Garpal" thread and see if 2020 will be in it!

Garpal Gumnut said:
If it was a choice between my balls and the security of the Western way of life, my balls would take prescedence.

juxtaposing this with some of your previous bluster may indicate there would be no choice required

cheers :)

rederob said:
I might have to start the "Come back Garpal" thread and see if 2020 will be in it!
I will. I enjoy the intelligent banter that we engage in. Different views, but still more than a few signs of intelligence.

Speaking of lightening up, I'll add this comment about one of my own posts...

The KLA also received financial aid from the Albanian mafia. Bujar Bukoshi, shadow Prime Minister in exile (in Zürich, Switzerland), created a group called FARK (Armed Forces of the Republic of Kosova) which was reported to have been disbanded and absorbed by the KLA in 1998.

The FARK used to be followed by a team of mothers in supoprt - they were called the mother FARKers.
When interrogated , they would be asked "you FARK?" on a positive reply they would be told "then FARK you"

Seriously again, religion , especially the sects cults NRM (new religious movements) - is frequently all about brain washing. - how permanent the effects is up for discussion / disputed by the experts - I would suggest pretty permanent in the case of Moslem converts, especially when they get such plentiful moral ammo against us.

Brainwashing controversy in new religious movements and cults
The main disputes regarding brainwashing exist in the field of cults and NRMs. The controversy about the existence of cultic brainwashing is one of the most polarizing issues among cult followers, academic researchers of cults, and cult critics. There is no agreement about the existence of a social process attempting coercive influence and neither about the existence of the social outcome that people are influenced against their will.

The issue gets even more complicated through the existence of several brainwashing definitions, some of them almost strawman caricatures, and through the introduction of the similarly controversial mind control concept in the 1990s, which is at times interchangeably used for brainwashing and at other times differentiated from brainwashing. Additionally, some authors refer to brainwashing as recruitment method (Barker) while others refer to brainwashing as a method of retaining existing members (Kent 1997, Zablocki 2001).

Another factor is, that brainwashing theories have been discussed in the court, where the experts had to pronounce their views before the jury in simpler terms than those used in academic publications and where the issue had to be presented rather black and white to make a point in the case. Such cases including their black and white colorings have been taken up by the media.

In 1984 British sociologist Eileen Barker said in her book The Making of a Moonie: Choice or Brainwashing, which was based on her first hand studies of British Unification Church members, that she had found no extraordinary persuasion techniques being used to recruit or retain members.

Brainwashing in fiction
Spoiler warning: Plot and/or ending details about various works of fiction follow.
In George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four, brainwashing is used by the totalitarian government of Oceania to erase nonconformist thought and rebellious personalities.
In the 1962 movie The Manchurian Candidate, the concept of brainwashing is a central theme. Specifically, Communist brainwashers turn a soldier into an assassin through something akin to hypnosis.
The Charles Bronson movie Telefon has a similar plot to The Manchurian Candidate, featuring water supply tampering as a brainwashing technique.
In the Stanley Kubrick film A Clockwork Orange, criminals are re-educated in an attempt to remove their violent tendencies.
In The IPCRESS File, Michael Caine's character tries to resist his reprogramming.
In the first film in the The Naked Gun trilogy, Reggie Jackson and others become tools in an effort to kill Queen Elizabeth II.
In the NBC miniseries V, the alien Visitors use a "conversion chamber" to turn humans into obedient allies.
Zoolander depicts male model Derek Zoolander (Ben Stiller) becoming brainwashed/hypnotized into trying to kill a fictional Prime Minister of Malaysia.
In the 1978-81 BBC series Blake's Seven, former freedom fighter Roj Blake undergoes brainwashing therapy (referred to as "the treatment"') to eradicate his revolutionary ideals and turn him into a model citizen exhibit.
Max Ehrlich's novel The Cult (1978) Bantham Books, deals with the fictional brainwashing and attempted deprogramming (counter-brainwashing) of a cult member that goes horribly wrong.
In the video game Psychonauts, Boyd Cooper, the security guard at Thorney Towers, is hypnotised and has a second personality dubbed "The Milkman" implanted into his mind, which is triggered by certain actions or commands.
In the Stargate SG-1 episode Enemies, the character Teal'c is brainwashed by his former god, Apophis.
In the Lost episode Not in Portland, the character Karl is brainwashed by 'The Others' using drum and bass music and visuals.
Chops - (and Barney) - note that last one...
"brainwashed by 'The Others' using drum and bass music" :)

in spite of sbs news stating that insight would be repeated at 7.30 tonight, it is actually being repeated now, 2.30pm

cheers :)

thanks happy town!! - appreciated.
Having watched both "Insider" and " Churchill's Bodyguard"
I would propose that there several types of people (people might like to add other categories):-

1. Moral Maj Michael Mori - what a great man - inspires 100% admiration - add Sir Winston Churchiull and Sir Walter Thompson and Lawrence of Arabia
2. Col Moe Davis - a pawn of the system (see below)- call him neutral - amoral - neither this nor that (being generous praps)
3. Ruddock and Howard - yuk!!! - in a position to act , yet devoid of of any moral backbone!!
4. Terry Hicks - honest as the day is long (more than I can say for 2 and 3 )

PS I sat on a military court martial bench as "officer under instruction". The way it works is that military officers are told they will be "prosecution" or "defence". To be fair to Moe Davis, he has been dealt a hand - maybe he was chosen as "an officer sympathetic to the govt cause" - (and I suspect a very zealous devotion to some horrible political cause) - but whatever ...

Lets celebrate the fact that Mori is still fighting against (and resisting)the "easy-out" pre-trial negotiation (yuk!!) - that moral giant whose career is in serious jeopardy - (when questioned by Denton that "surely Hicks will kill your career" answered "you are allocated defence , you do your job" ) .
PS I hope RuddocK never sees another day in govt after Nov 2007 :2twocents

PPS the military commission proposed for hicks has NOTHING in common with a court martial!! (or justice)- It is 100% "smoke and mirrors" folks !! :) :) :) -

PPS lol (puke) didnt you love Ruddocks defence of his position - that Hicks might want to "clear his name" lol - AGAINST WHAT CHARGE YOU MORON !!!" Mori immediately repled "Hicks doesnt want to go to court to defend any damned charge" :)

What!
After 5 years the US decide that Hicks wasn't going to attempt to murder anyone, after all.
This is good news.
No?
Apparently "providing material support for terrorism" is a far more serious crime - ooops, charge - according to our beloved Minister Downer.
It is true, and I have it on good authority, that Hicks' prowess with needle and thread were renown in the training camp. Hicks won several prizes at high school for his embroidery which, in part, explains his later alienation from society and desire to follow a more spiritual path.
What the US has not been clear on is the nature of this "material support".
This is what actually happened:
When Hicks first met Bin Laden he noticed the nappy on his head kept falling off. Hicks told Bin laden he could provide him material support (this is true - it is in the taped confessions {garnered with only a wee bit of torture}) and the next day came back with a head dress fit for a raving global terrorist.
To the trained eye, and to the CIA trying to capture Bin Laden, a well kept secret is being revealed to you, dear readers, for the first time.
Hicks had mastered the reversed Palestrina stitch at school, and being only semi literate at the time thought it was the Palestinian stitch, and that is what he told Bin Laden when he saw "DH" sewn beautifully into the head dress. Bin Laden, it turns out, was also a dab hand at embroidery and immediately recognised the stitch as the Basque knot - a true symbol of the ideals he had come to admire from these people oppressed by the Spanish.
Immediately Bin laden took a shine to our anti-hero and this indelible impression has now given the Americans cause to charge him as they have.
Back to the CIA: All these years they had been trying to work out why "DH" appeared on Bin Laden's head dress. The "in" joke was that it was Bin Laden way of "saying" to the CIA that you are "Dick Heads" if you can't find me.
But now the truth is revealed.