Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

CSL - CSL Limited

One of just 9 ish companies in the ASX200 to actually be up this year.

Every 1% decline in the AUD adds $6.9m to the bottom line.

With interest rates forecast to be slashed dramatically, means $$ for CSL. Pending US rates of course...

On my close watch list for when (if) the tide turns.

Article on sharecafe for those interested.

One of just 9 ish companies in the ASX200 to actually be up this year.

Every 1% decline in the AUD adds $6.9m to the bottom line.

With interest rates forecast to be slashed dramatically, means $$ for CSL. Pending US rates of course...

On my close watch list for when (if) the tide turns.

Article on sharecafe for those interested.

What you can call a legitimate defensive stock. Has products, some life saving, that will sell regardless of market conditions.

I have been in the share market for about 8 months now - fun times ;)

Anyway, from what I understand, the forecast earnings of CSL have been going UP but the share price has been going DOWN. I don't have that much experience but this doesn't make sense to me!

Oh well, I'll hold, it HAS to go up at some point :cool:

On the news (Commsec page) for CSL.... at least you have a director buying now. Better than watching a director selling

Tim

whats happening to CSL? it was a darling safehaven until the past 2 days? anyone heard anything???????????????

whats happening to CSL? it was a darling safehaven until the past 2 days? anyone heard anything???????????????

I heard on the radio that after Jan 1 the govt will not be providing free gardasil to girls. From a preventive health aspect this really sucks and from a share market it obviously does too

i knew there must have been a reason other than profit taking.

i wonder how much of the annual profits this product wipes out?

I heard on the radio that after Jan 1 the govt will not be providing free gardasil to girls. From a preventive health aspect this really sucks and from a share market it obviously does too
Seriously???

WTF???

And it's not just a preventative health measure for girls either, but obviously the impacts are much greater for them.

I guess with all the data coming out, they either had to extend the free vaccinations to boys as well, or cut them completely.

Still, it seems exceptionally stupid, and with all the money they spend on preventative public health in this area, this is something that does have a material impact. Bizarre. :confused:

But if I had kids, boys or girls, I would pay for it regardless.

According to Business Day on 23 July 2008 Gardisil accounts for around 15% of total earnings.

However the Deparmtne of Health mentions nothing about not funding Gardasil from Jan 09. Their website still says that they are funding it. Go figure?!

According to Business Day on 23 July 2008 Gardisil accounts for around 15% of total earnings.

However the Deparmtne of Health mentions nothing about not funding Gardasil from Jan 09. Their website still says that they are funding it. Go figure?!
I was shocked too. I am in Tasmania and heard it here. I think it costs over $100 per shot. Will do some googling about it. Seriously stupid if true. Let's hope Tassie got it wrong.

This is all I could find on Google: November 2006

Prime Minister John Howard yesterday announced schoolgirls will begin being immunised with Gardasil from next April after the government struck a deal with CSL (csl.ASX:Quote,News).

The company has agreed to a 25 per cent cut in its original $600 million asking price for the four-year program, which will now cost $436 million.

At least it says the program is in place until November 2010, or more likely April 2011.

Does sound like nothing in place for a change yet officially, whispers?

Did knock the stock around a bit, bought my second parcel @ $28.

Could not resist!

Thinking more about this:

If the Gov agreed to a deal for a 4 year term, starting April 2007, then it would seem unlikely that events in March 2011 would be affecting the share price now. Besides, what a retraction it would be for the Gov?

Political disaster if you think about it.

More than likely it was short selling, IMO.

After market there was plenty of volume @ $28.11

More than likely it was short selling, IMO.
Ummmm...... wuttttt?????

No way.

If it wasn't this funding retraction, the chart looks like it has been defying gravity for some time.

Largely because of the USD strength. But it looks like the USD is weakening somewhat, and I think that has more to do with it...

I think it will head to 23 or thereabouts, and it might tickle my fancy then.

Attachments

• csl.jpg
    csl.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 7
Yes, I can see what you mean....

That is good news!

I think the USD will gain in the longer term, and remain the major currency even if good or bad news comes out. The flight to safety on bad news will be supporting this theory IMO.

Also, looking forward to the Aussie being at .98 again. Missed the opportunity last time, but will be prepared for the next!

With the short selling, I think I got confused with TPI... They have really got stuck into this one of late.... But that's for another thread.

OK, I sent an email to CSL and this was their reply:

Thankyou for your enquiry of CSL. The catch-up program for Gardasil (women aged 13-26) is due to cease on June 30, 2009, although women who have had even just one dose by this time will be able to complete the course of three doses free of charge from their GP. A single cohort of girls aged 12-13 in the first year of secondary school will continue to be vaccinated through the schools program once the catch-up program lapses.

So those of you who have girls, they will continue to receive the vaccination at ages 12 - 13. But older girls/young women won't after June 30 2009 unless they have already started their course. I guess this makes sense, although some people might delay having their girls vaccinated at the ages of 12 because they think this is too young. I am also on a parenting site - I was amazed to read that some women wont get their daughters immunised at this age because of its association with sexual behaviour :banghead:. Might just let them know that if they wait it will cost them.

So those of you who have girls, they will continue to receive the vaccination at ages 12 - 13. But older girls/young women won't after June 30 2009 unless they have already started their course. I guess this makes sense, although some people might delay having their girls vaccinated at the ages of 12 because they think this is too young. I am also on a parenting site - I was amazed to read that some women wont get their daughters immunised at this age because of its association with sexual behaviour :banghead:. Might just let them know that if they wait it will cost them.

I too am a (new) parent and im shocked and dismayed as the level of ignorance of health issues for children in general..when you read some of the views of parents its had to believe were in 2008 and not the dark ages

CSL's strange movements

I noticed CSL dropped precipitously a few weeks ago to 27ish, but is now up around 33... Two questions: (1) Why did it drop? Was it due to (unwarranted) reports in the UK about gadrisil causing problems? (2) The company has no debt and has a USD revenue stream. Why on earth is it so far below its intrinsic valuation??? :confused:

I know ver VERY little about shorting, but to me CSL after it made a lower high would seem to be a good stock to short.

Would anyone agree or disagree with this and why?

I know its a top teir company, but the sp chart just screams short to me:confused:
Especially if we see it break $28!

I guess charts are open to interpretation, looking at today’s action it looks like CSL may be forming a higher low, just needs some confirmation from MACD.

Therefore the way I see it, shorting CSL could be playing with fire.:2twocents

Any comments from resident Techies ?

A bit of volume starting to appear at those lows as well, a sign of strength imo.

Look for signs of strength in weakness and signs of weakness in strength.

I've actually been watching this stock for a while. Wanted to see a retrace to $30.00 and volume come in again and it looks like we have.

Also now looks like a small H&S pattern.

May go lower but I wouldn't be shorting it, too many warnings signs imo.

Might post a chart up tonight if anyone is interested.