Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

CSL - CSL Limited

No worries, Gurgler. Well if CSL/Merck do get Gardasil to be mandatory use for the girls, then that’s going to be major $$ for them. Maybe that’s why the analysts had the sp increase target…

CSL up $2.71 today (3.07%) at the close, looks like some good news from the US about Merck helped things along. Which is good because I am long with CFDs with them and could use some good news! :)

Quite a recovery over the past week; the financials certainly helped and it looks like $100 is the next level of resistance (albeit emotional).

Attachments

• csl 31 aug.gif
    csl 31 aug.gif
    26.6 KB · Views: 172
Third day in a row there was sizeable trading 'after the bell', this time sustaining the drive through $100 - finishing on 100.48. Anyone know whether this is typical with a stock like this?

It will be interesting to see how it sustains itself from here.

PS Prospector - now the only one of RIO, MBL & CSL in the ballpark ATM.

Attachments

• CSL 2 Sept.gif
    CSL 2 Sept.gif
    31.3 KB · Views: 161
But when it goes to $33.33 per share after the 1 for 3 share split (if approved) does that change the value of the company? Nope. So much for the share price.

But when it goes to $33.33 per share after the 1 for 3 share split (if approved) does that change the value of the company? Nope. So much for the share price.

So true - missed that ann :banghead: :banghead:

SO, Judd, do you credit the improvement in sp to the financials or will the 4.5% on-market buy-back have already begun?

i accidentally longed it at $98 (thanks CMC) and put a limit at $100, well done to CSL!

hopefully RIO breaches $100 soon (again) and doesnt go back below triple-digits for a while, CSL's super-high P/E still worries me hence I don't see it as a long-term stock, and any product recall can damage medical stocks hard (take a look at resmed haha)

So true - missed that ann :banghead: :banghead:

SO, Judd, do you credit the improvement in sp to the financials or will the 4.5% on-market buy-back have already begun?

It should be the research value. The HPV anti-virus took more than 15 years to get to the market. CSL has many more research projects on the go. Some may work, some may not and a bit of it is pure, as opposed to applied, research. Pity that not many have the patience to wait 15 or more years to see the results of research. Too many txt msgs to send and the need for instant gratification.

You know, those who bought into the float at $2.40 and have held them have had about three times that value returned just in dividends. Talk about free carry!

Pity that not many have the patience to wait 15 or more years to see the results of research. Too many txt msgs to send and the need for instant gratification.

i think most people would rather be rich tomorrow than in 15 years time o_O? assuming CSL is going to take "15 years" to show me its results influencing the share price id rather be enjoying the commodity boom/retail boom with rio tinto and david jones

and don't forget, this was CSL once upon a time:

cslmainab1.jpg

On our news today, not even one mention of it breaking $100 - our news reports are so unsophisticated!

OK, watching channel 2 and Allan Kohler has been very informative.

Fortunately, I am not "most." And apparently I need to expand this bloody post to at least 100 chars
:drink::drink:
now im curious, can you explain the logic why you'd have the returns from stocks later, rather than sooner?

now im curious, can you explain the logic why you'd have the returns from stocks later, rather than sooner?

Because I am patient. Most on this forum look at price and consider that is all a company produces. If that were actually the case then capitalism does not exist. Trade by all means, it makes a market, just leave me with dividends which, over time (oh, dear that word again which implies patience) makes up about 50% of the return from shares. I no longer consider shares risky which is why I invest, as opposed to punt, on them.

Every time I review CSL, I am just amazed at what a strong trending stock it is......

Amongst the turmoil of a credit crisis, etc, CSL barely moved an inch. Attached is the monthly chart and truly, it is a sight to behold. Now with a capital recon (3 is for 1), they would have to be one of the few large entities in Australia that has reconstructed themselves capital wise (which I find unusual, as it is such a popular thing to do in the states). This is a long term investors dream stock and makes me think - how do I catch a ride on one of these??????

However, equally on the flip side I remember the dark days were I had a mate who invested at $40 in 02 to watch his investment go down some 2/3'rds.. I wonder if he is still holding now?

Cheers

Attachments

• CSl.jpg
    CSl.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 119
I might purchase the split entity lol.

Are you sure stock splitting is a popular thing to do in the US? I haven't seen many of the top companies do it, Apple/Google/Goldman Sachs are ridiculously expensive to purchase.

Oh and Berkaway Hathshire lol..

I might purchase the split entity lol.

Are you sure stock splitting is a popular thing to do in the US? I haven't seen many of the top companies do it, Apple/Google/Goldman Sachs are ridiculously expensive to purchase.

Oh and Berkaway Hathshire lol..

Hi Vishalt
Yep, it certainly is US wise..... Funny you mention Apple, they did a 2:1 split in Feb 05, but they are well overdue for one. For Google, it's clearly an icon status thing!

Take a look at just about any tech company - RIMM (Research in Motion, makers of the blackberry) are the latest to do it, I think theirs is a 3:1 too.

Cheers

Trade by all means, it makes a market, just leave me with dividends which, over time (oh, dear that word again which implies patience) makes up about 50% of the return from shares.

Judd
You must have to wait a long time and have expansive patience, as unless I'm missing something, 0.49 and 0.55c return on each $100 share does not make great return over the current year - just one percent.

Judd
You must have to wait a long time and have expansive patience, as unless I'm missing something, 0.49 and 0.55c return on each $100 share does not make great return over the current year - just one percent.

You are absolutely correct: if one had bought at $100. However, try the yield calculation based on the float price or any price up to $20.

Thanks Juddie, now I understand your perspective better. Unfortunately, I only bought in a year ago at $65; admittedly it has been a good year, as Reece pointed out. I don't wish to appear greedy, but it just so happens that this week I received a dividend of 2 cents on a share of 0.42-cent value and the contrast struck me.

I guess I would be hopeful to expect that the dividend would remain at .55 after the upcoming share split.

Is anyone else having trouble locating CSL on Westpac after the share split? Is it just Westpac or has the code changed OR do we have to wait until 31 Oct to trade?