Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

CSL - CSL Limited

US FDA staff backs CSL, GTC blood clot drugs

By Susan Heavey and Lisa Richwine of Reuters

WASHINGTON - Two proposed therapies to treat rare blood disorders appear safe and effective for US approval, including one made from genetically engineered goats, Food and Drug Administration staff reviewers said in documents.

...read on...

http://www.businessspectator.com.au...GTC-blood-clot-dru-N3NP7?opendocument&src=rss

...hence the jump in price today?

WASHINGTON - Two proposed therapies to treat rare blood disorders appear safe and effective for US approval, including one made from genetically engineered goats, QUOTE]

Genetically engineered goats!!
I read a science fiction story where women would rent out one breast to be modified on their body to produce special medicines that could be sold back to the drug company.

It's all coming true!

if the US$ severely depreciates in the coming year or so, how much of CSL's income is derived from the US?

Is it significant? 10%? 20%?

I want to invest into CSL but i feel there could be a considerable discount in the near future but im not sure how invested they are to the US$?

Any concerns here by current shareholders?

US FDA staff backs CSL, GTC blood clot drugs

By Susan Heavey and Lisa Richwine of Reuters

WASHINGTON - Two proposed therapies to treat rare blood disorders appear safe and effective for US approval, including one made from genetically engineered goats, Food and Drug Administration staff reviewers said in documents.

...read on...

http://www.businessspectator.com.au...GTC-blood-clot-dru-N3NP7?opendocument&src=rss

...hence the jump in price today?

ROCKVILLE, Md., Jan 9 (Reuters) - CSL Ltd's (CSL.AX) experimental treatment for patients with an extremely rare bleeding disorder is safe and effective, a U.S. advisory panel unanimously said on Friday.
http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssHealthcareNews/idUSWBT01036020090109

Hotbmw...yes, very good point, but isn't that why we use charts and a "stop-loss" facility?

yes of course but im asking if anyone knows how invested they are in the US?

in my mind there is no doubt the US$ will fall once de leveraging takes place, so im on the sidelines for many months to come i feel but if i knew the approx % in the US i may enter sooner.....

anyone know?

cheers

There is a basic fact about CSL to be aware of. Its products, being serum/theraputic based, vaccines etc (see http://www.csl.com.au/s1/cs/auhq/1187378853158/content/1187378853018/content.htm) are pretty much recession-proof: even a real decline let alone a financial mkts decline has hardly any effect on demand for these items. People get sick at the same rate, possibly higher. And its costs are now lower, due to the word-wide downturn! Therefore, its stock price should not be affected by the current recession: it should be at least 37, which was the average over October and the first half of November last year before investors started panicking. It has little debt, lots of guaranteed revenue.

Also note: In the USA, health stocks are doing well, I think, because the investor population is a lot better informed and more sophisticated than us; they realize these basic facts about health companies. Still, this provides more opportunity for making money here. I am reminded of this particularly when I see postings that give credence to non-scientific chart reading. One may as well gut a cat and look at its entrails :horse:! I'm not complaining, because the chartists here allow people who use logical analysis to make a lot of money. Wait until the chartists/panickers dump on CSL, then buy. I did this when it hit 27, and it since rose 20%.

In answer to concerns about a possible USD decline expressed in this thread, just look back at when AUD was strong and check CSL's stock price. It was averaging above 35 even when the AUD was between 95 and 85 cents...

yes of course but im asking if anyone knows how invested they are in the US?

in my mind there is no doubt the US$ will fall once de leveraging takes place, so im on the sidelines for many months to come i feel but if i knew the approx % in the US i may enter sooner.....

anyone know?

cheers

Sales FY08

North America 37%
Europe 35%
Australia 16%

If Talecris goes ahead sales in the US would of course go up substantially. Interesting to note that CSL converted the money raised from the equity raising to $US at 87c. I dont think there is to much chance of the $Aus going back up to the levels we saw in early 2008 in a hurry, to do that we would need another resources boom.
I agree with econinvestor that this stock is recessionproof and doesnt deserve to go down with the rest of the market. HY09 results will be boosted by the low level of the $Aus and plasma product prices have still been improving during the half in the US.

I have held this share from $29, and is now in a tidy profit territory.

It has struggled to bust through the $34 area a few times before, the last on profit taking.

Can any Techies see any reason why it will push through this level now?

I would like to hold them, and lock in $34 as my stop, but it has failed before.

Can you see any momentum building? Seems to be on lowish volume.

Attachments

• CSL.gif
    CSL.gif
    8.6 KB · Views: 73
I have held this share from $29, and is now in a tidy profit territory.

It has struggled to bust through the $34 area a few times before, the last on profit taking.

Can any Techies see any reason why it will push through this level now?

I would like to hold them, and lock in $34 as my stop, but it has failed before.

Can you see any momentum building? Seems to be on lowish volume.
It might not, because it has continued to fail there. Odds are it will again.

I am actually waiting to enter this one.

For me, a break through here is a short term signal, or, if it looks like failing another signal.

Could be an inverse H&S down there too, but the overall market bear is telling me it's not going to work.

Never know though....watch and shoot!

Attachments

• CSL.gif
    CSL.gif
    22.8 KB · Views: 6
Yes, very helpful post Kennas, thanks....

Your chart and the trendline says it all.

Might try to lock in a profit this arvo!

Appreciate your wisdom, cheers ;)

It's bound to break through and head to $42 now.

:eek:

But as I said, I'd be watching for a failure or a break through.

BHP chart was looking similar recently and was a potential breakout and clear inverse H&S and then had a false break....

Good luck!

It's bound to break through and head to $42 now.

:eek:

But as I said, I'd be watching for a failure or a break through.

BHP chart was looking similar recently and was a potential breakout and clear inverse H&S and then had a false break....

Good luck!

Yes, no doubt!

If it hits my sell price, all well and good!

If not, the lap of the Gods we go!

Your post make it an easy and sensible choice really, and profits are not that easy to come by of late...:eek:

Cheers

A close above $33.75 is a very positive sign, it is actually a close above resistance - would need follow through tomorrow and Friday though.

A close above $33.75 is a very positive sign, it is actually a close above resistance - would need follow through tomorrow and Friday though.
Yes, today seems bullish but I am clueless as to where it is going. Yesterday setup a nice bearish look but now that seems to have been negated so I'll wait for tomorrow.

Yes, but have sold my holdings and very pleased!

Something about locking in a profit makes me feel good...

Now, I hope it falls off the map :eek:

$33.81 close

Snake I agree about it not being sure which way it wants to head atm but I'm already in the trade with CSL and will be adding to it if we get some strong follow through in the next few days.

Once the results are out it will definately head upwards. Always suprises on the upside and with the lower $aus and favourable market conditions in the blood plasma market this half should be no different.

When are the results due?

Couldn't close above $33.70 again:banghead::D. Will see what tomorrow brings, may have to move my stop up now.

Here are the aftermarket couse of sales:

Can somebody explain the 220K and 295K parcels?

Are they instos buying up the market at best close price with the number of shares available?

Or are they derivatives?

4:22:43 pm 33.800 5,051
4:13:27 pm 33.689 80,437
4:13:16 pm 33.558 220,000
4:12:33 pm 33.436 295,457
4:10:51 pm 33.650 2,003
4:10:51 pm 33.650 832
4:10:51 pm 33.650 3,431
4:10:51 pm