Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Barack Obama!

Re: Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

This really is unbelievable - it belittle's everyone who has been awarded the Nobel Peace prize in the past.

What a farce!!!

How can he possibly accept it...

Barack has always worked his groups by his philosophy of grassroots up. He's the figure head.

Here's your answer. Will his leadership work? GWB's tactics didn't.
Sent: Saturday, 10 October 2009 7:03 AM
Subject: A call to action

This morning, Michelle and I awoke to some surprising and humbling news.
At 6 a.m., we received word that I'd been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for 2009.

To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who've been honored by this prize -- men and women who've inspired me and inspired the entire world through their courageous pursuit of peace.

But I also know that throughout history the Nobel Peace Prize has not just been used to honor specific achievement; it's also been used as a means to give momentum to a set of causes.

That is why I've said that I will accept this award as a call to action, a call for all nations and all peoples to confront the common challenges of the 21st century. These challenges won't all be met during my presidency, or even my lifetime. But I know these challenges can be met so long as it's recognized that they will not be met by one person or one nation alone.

This award -- and the call to action that comes with it -- does not belong simply to me or my administration; it belongs to all people around the world who have fought for justice and for peace. And most of all, it belongs to you, the men and women of America, who have dared to hope and have worked so hard to make our world a little better.

So today we humbly recommit to the important work that we've begun together. I'm grateful that you've stood with me thus far, and I'm honored to continue our vital work in the years to come.

Thank you,

President Barack Obama

Paid for by Organizing for America, a project of the Democratic National Committee -- 430 South Capitol Street SE, Washington, D.C. 20003. This communication is not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee.

The leaders of the rogue states will be laughing. The Peace Prize award is always politically motivated. This time it is designed to put pressure on Obama to go easy on the rogue states. This gives him an excuse to do just that.
I guess that's right, Calliope. However, if 'going easy' involves talking with them instead of bombing them, then I'm all in favour of that.

Why is it that every person who has ever received any sort of award for anything (including such crap as academy awards etc) always says they are "humbled" by such an honour? Rubbish! They're thrilled, tickled pink, anything but humbled.

If we're going to be judging Obama on his oratory and promises to do things, then we should be feeling equal admiration for our own Prime Minister.
He also is very big on muttering the right words, viz the "Sorry" speech to the aborigines, how he's going to fix the health system, having summits to people can tell him what they want, etc etc. Doesn't necessarily translate into action as far as I can see.

:(

Why is it that every person who has ever received any sort of award for anything (including such crap as academy awards etc) always says they are "humbled" by such an honour? Rubbish! They're thrilled, tickled pink, anything but humbled.

Well it would be interesting to see someone come out and say "it's about time my work was recognised; I deserve this!".

Well it would be interesting to see someone come out and say "it's about time my work was recognised; I deserve this!".
Well, it would be a bit more honest.
It's the same at funerals. The dead person is always just the greatest human being who ever existed, a joy to everyone.

No one ever says "well, Bob was a total ***** and it's a great relief to us all that we'll never have to put up with him again."

Maybe they just compared his performance with his predecessor?

I suspect even Obama is embarassed by this award. How could he not be. :(

Barack has always worked his groups by his philosophy of grassroots up. He's the figure head.

Here's your answer. Will his leadership work? GWB's tactics didn't.
Sent: Saturday, 10 October 2009 7:03 AM
Subject: A call to action

This morning, Michelle and I awoke to some surprising and humbling news.
At 6 a.m., we received word that I'd been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for 2009.

To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who've been honored by this prize -- men and women who've inspired me and inspired the entire world through their courageous pursuit of peace.

But I also know that throughout history the Nobel Peace Prize has not just been used to honor specific achievement; it's also been used as a means to give momentum to a set of causes.

That is why I've said that I will accept this award as a call to action, a call for all nations and all peoples to confront the common challenges of the 21st century. These challenges won't all be met during my presidency, or even my lifetime. But I know these challenges can be met so long as it's recognized that they will not be met by one person or one nation alone.

This award -- and the call to action that comes with it -- does not belong simply to me or my administration; it belongs to all people around the world who have fought for justice and for peace. And most of all, it belongs to you, the men and women of America, who have dared to hope and have worked so hard to make our world a little better.

So today we humbly recommit to the important work that we've begun together. I'm grateful that you've stood with me thus far, and I'm honored to continue our vital work in the years to come.

Thank you,

President Barack Obama

Paid for by Organizing for America, a project of the Democratic National Committee -- 430 South Capitol Street SE, Washington, D.C. 20003. This communication is not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee.

I guess that's right, Calliope. However, if 'going easy' involves talking with them instead of bombing them, then I'm all in favour of that.

If we're going to be judging Obama on his oratory and promises to do things, then we should be feeling equal admiration for our own Prime Minister.
He also is very big on muttering the right words, viz the "Sorry" speech to the aborigines, how he's going to fix the health system, having summits to people can tell him what they want, etc etc. Doesn't necessarily translate into action as far as I can see.

:(

For a while there I thought Obama was going to be a force for change.

Now i believe he is one of the biggest distributors of horse**** and weasel words on the planet.

He leaves Kevin07 for dead in his use of OMO words and useless rhetoric.

What a complete waste of a medal.

They could have given it to Hamas, Mossad or old rotten kidneys BinLaden , for all the difference it will make.

gg

I have it on good authority they gave him this to make up for the Hey Hey skit.

what a joke I must have missed his great deed of peace from those fisrt 11 days in office, or is peace just a speech now.

anyway what a joke, just goes to show that the noble people are way out of touch.

Now i believe he is one of the biggest distributors of horse**** and weasel words on the planet.

They could have given it to Hamas, Mossad or old rotten kidneys BinLaden , for all the difference it will make.

gg
Could not agree more GG.

What a joke.

He has done nothing.

FFS next year Kevn Rudd will get one for Economic Sciences.

The science of creating a tax for something that does not exist... heck he might even get one for literature (fiction) while he is at it.

I would like to nominate myself, Naked Shorts, for the 2010 Nobel Peace prize. While I have done nothing to further world peace, I have good reason to believe that I will do something peaceful in the future.

I would like to nominate myself, Naked Shorts, for the 2010 Nobel Peace prize. While I have done nothing to further world peace, I have good reason to believe that I will do something peaceful in the future.

LMAO

Exactly... 'nuff said. :)

Sounds good enough to me, Naked shorts.
Apparently the award carries a cash prize of around $1.5M.
By next year presumably inflation will have increased this.

For 10% I will generously offer to nominate you for next year.
I'm sure we could dream up a pretty impressive wish list of all the stuff you intend to do to create world peace.:)

Compared to his predecessors hes been quite peaceful, well a few disgruntled Taliban may disagree as another Tomerhawk missile slams into there mountain hiding place.

Is a bit of a mystery as he doesnt seem to have done anything to warrant the accolade :confused: maybe its a ploy by certain partys on the decision board to make him think twice before ordering an invasion or carpet bombing of Iran or North Korea :cautious:

what a joke I must have missed his great deed of peace from those fisrt 11 days in office, or is peace just a speech now.

anyway what a joke, just goes to show that the noble people are way out of touch.

FACT - The Norwegian Blue parrot is renowned for it's propensity to kip.

FACT - They have lot's of lumberjacks, and they're or'right.

FACT - The hot air from NOBEL Centro is helping to melt the North Pole.

Ja.

:D

http://www.infowars.com/warmonger-wins-peace-prize/

It took 25 years longer than George Orwell thought for the slogans of 1984 to become reality.

“War is Peace,” “Freedom is Slavery,” “Ignorance is Strength.”

I would add, “Lie is Truth.”

The Nobel Committee has awarded the 2009 Peace Prize to President Obama, the person who started a new war in Pakistan, upped the war in Afghanistan, and continues to threaten Iran with attack unless Iran does what the US government demands and relinquishes its rights as a signatory to the non-proliferation treaty.

The Nobel committee chairman, Thorbjoern Jagland said, “Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world’s attention and given its people hope for a better future.”

Obama, the committee gushed, has created “a new climate in international politics.”

Tell that to the 2 million displaced Pakistanis and the unknown numbers of dead ones that Obama has racked up in his few months in office. Tell that to the Afghans where civilian deaths continue to mount as Obama’s “war of necessity” drones on indeterminably.

No Bush policy has changed. Iraq is still occupied. The Guantanamo torture prison is still functioning. Rendition and assassinations are still occurring. Spying on Americans without warrants is still the order of the day. Civil liberties are continuing to be violated in the name of Oceania’s “war on terror.”

Apparently, the Nobel committee is suffering from the delusion that, being a minority, Obama is going to put a stop to Western hegemony over darker-skinned peoples.

The non-cynical can say that the Nobel committee is seizing on Obama’s rhetoric to lock him into the pursuit of peace instead of war. We can all hope that it works. But the more likely result is that the award has made “War is Peace” the reality.

Obama has done nothing to hold the criminal Bush regime to account, and the Obama administration has bribed and threatened the Palestinian Authority to go along with the US/Israeli plan to deep-six the UN’s Goldstone Report on Israeli war crimes committed during Israel’s inhuman military attack on the defenseless civilian population in the Gaza Ghetto.

The US Ministry of Truth is delivering the Obama administration’s propaganda that Iran only notified the IAEA of its “secret” new nuclear facility because Iran discovered that US intelligence had discovered the “secret” facility. This propaganda is designed to undercut the fact of Iran’s compliance with the Safeguards Agreement and to continue the momentum for a military attack on Iran.

The Nobel committee has placed all its hopes on a bit of skin color.

“War is Peace” is now the position of the formerly antiwar organization, Code Pink. Code Pink has decided that women’s rights are worth a war in Afghanistan.

When justifications for war become almost endless–oil, hegemony, women’s rights, democracy, revenge for 9/11, denying bases to al Qaeda and protecting against terrorists–war becomes the path to peace.

The Nobel committee has bestowed the prestige of its Peace Prize on Newspeak and Doublethink

Wonder if this was a ploy to restrict him and the US militarily in some way, I mean you'd have to think twice if you were the recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize wouldn't you ?

Maybe he should have refused it while he was still President.

gg

lmfao

pure gold

Wonder if this was a ploy to restrict him and the US militarily in some way, I mean you'd have to think twice if you were the recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize wouldn't you ?

Maybe he should have refused it while he was still President.

That was my first thought - it worries me you also think this. I should make an appointment with my doctor