Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Barack Obama!

Re: Barack 2008!

@Doris, I think your friend Michele is telling porkies, Clinton is slightly in front. Obama might have won more 'smaller' states to Clinton but adding up the delegates that Clinton has won from the bigger states means it's gonna be neck and neck. I wouldn't be suprised if the Democratic caucus has to choose who their two canididates will be and what a waste of hundreds of millions of dollars for a country trying to keep out of a recession...

Hey TR

You are sooo right! What a waste of money on the media industry! (Unless Barack wins!)

Michelle just sent out the video. Her husband Barack said he'd won on Tuesday's polls both in terms of states and delegates.

Here's part of an email from Barack's campaign manager today:

Sent: Thursday, 7 February 2008 12:26 PM
To: Doris *******
Subject: Startling news

Doris --

I was writing a note to you about the state of the race after Super Tuesday when we got some startling news.

The Clinton campaign just announced that Hillary and Bill Clinton injected $5 million of their personal fortune into her campaign a few days ago.

This is a dramatic move, and a clear acknowledgement that our campaign has the momentum. We saw undeniable evidence of that last night as the results came in.

Barack Obama won the most states and the most delegates on February 5th.

We have gotten to this point thanks to an unprecedented outpouring of support from ordinary Americans.

The Clinton infusion of $5 million -- and there are reports it could end up being as much as $20 million -- will give them huge resources for the next set of primaries and caucuses.

We have raised more than $3 million since the polls closed on February 5th. But we have no choice -- we must match their $5 million right now.

Just two weeks ago we were behind by double-digits in many of the states that voted yesterday, but Barack won 13 states to 8 states for Hillary Clinton, with one state (New Mexico) still counting votes.

We won yesterday because thousands upon thousands of individual supporters canvassed their neighborhoods, talked to their neighbors and friends, and made phone calls to remind their fellow supporters to get out the vote.

And we accomplished all of this with a campaign funded by ordinary people giving only what they can afford.

Yesterday was proof that America is ready for change -- and that you are the force to make that change happen.

But there's still a long way to go before Barack becomes the Democratic nominee. In the next week alone, six more states will hold their primaries and caucuses.

We need to match this $5 million personal contribution from the Clintons immediately and put these resources to work in the states that will vote next.

Here are some details about yesterday's historic victory. According to official results and exit polls:

• Barack won 2-to-1 in traditionally conservative states where Democrats are hungry for a nominee who can change the map and help Democrats up and down the ticket win in November
• Our winning coalition included Americans of every race, background, and gender -- including 64% of women in Georgia
• We scored wins in every region of the country -- New England, the Mid-Atlantic, the South, the Midwest, the Rocky Mountain states, and the West.

Americans had a clear choice to make yesterday, and they chose Barack Obama.

Now let's match this $5 million and take this campaign into the next stage.

Thank you,

David

David Plouffe
Campaign Manager
Obama for America

Paid for by Obama for America
This email was sent to: doris.*******@bigpond.com

Washington Post:

Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton announced yesterday that she had lent her campaign $5 million, a remarkable twist for a candidate who raised more than $100 million last year that came as she and Sen. Barack Obama continued to spar over which of them was the Democratic winner in coast-to-coast Super Tuesday balloting.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...601306.html?tid=informbox&sid=ST2008020601923

RESULTS
The results left Clinton (N.Y.) and Obama (Ill.) roughly even in the number of pledged delegates accumulated during the first month of the Democratic presidential primary and caucus season. Through the first four party-sanctioned contests before Super Tuesday, Obama had won 63 delegates to Clinton's 48.

A total of 1,681 delegates were at stake Tuesday, and the Associated Press reported yesterday that Clinton won 737, compared with 699 for Obama, with almost 300 still to be awarded.

Obama advisers said that he would emerge from Tuesday's voting with 847 delegates to Clinton's 834, giving him a lead of 910 to 882 among pledged delegates. The Clinton campaign said it did not have final projections but estimated that the margin between the two would be in the single digits.

Beyond the delegates awarded on the basis of the primary and caucus results, Clinton has a lead among the 796 superdelegates -- party officials, members of Congress, governors and others -- who automatically have voting status at the Democratic National Convention and are not bound by the results of contests in their states in deciding whom to support.

There is no official count of these delegates, but various news organizations are reporting that Clinton leads Obama by about 90 superdelegates, with about 450 not publicly committed. Clinton got an early jump on Obama in the competition for superdelegates, but the senator from Illinois has begun to catch up as he has amassed endorsements from mainstream party figures.

Given how competitive the race is, many superdelegates may remain neutral to see whether one of the two candidates gains a clear advantage. That, Democratic strategists said, would require Clinton or Obama to go on a lengthy winning streak that would include victories in the March 4 Ohio and Texas primaries. Obama is making a big play for Texas, with plans to open 10 offices there in the days ahead.

"If you notice, we have been closing the gap steadily," Obama said. "I think we will continue to close the gap."

I hope John McCain wins

according to wikipedia his policies are much in line with howard's i think (yes i am liberal)...conservative

it will be interesting though, Clinton Vs McCain in the primaries

Question for all:

Why do we who live outside of the evil empire give a $#@! who the American candidates are?

We can't vote, what's the point?

Question for all:

Why do we who live outside of the evil empire give a $#@! who the American candidates are?

We can't vote, what's the point?

it would have a rub on effect on australia indirectly

the economy etc of America > world

Hey Doris, from a News report on Lateline ABC, it was stated that a NY publication (can't recall which one) had it up for all to see on their billboards (Time Square I presume?) that Clinton was slightly ahead.

Clinton won NY and Cali...bigger states to those won by Obama on super Tuesday.

Personally I'd like to see Clinton win. I don't believe that a change of colour yet same gender is going to make that much of a difference. We've already had Ghandi, Gadaffi, Edi Amin, Hussien, etc. Maybe it's time for a woman to come in and give the place a 'clean' up 'cause after all, that's what women do best ;-)

I hope John McCain wins

according to wikipedia his policies are much in line with howard's i think (yes i am liberal)...conservative

it will be interesting though, Clinton Vs McCain in the primaries

News reports suggests McCain would prefer to face Clinton than Obama...

Obama seems to represent a refreshingly, new energy.

His campaign seems to be gaining momentum.

Small donors add up to $36b secret weapon for Obama

February 2, 2008

http://www.theage.com.au/news/us-election/small-donors-aid-obama/2008/02/01/1201801037093.html

The money was mostly collected from small donors, who represent an increasingly formidable force in presidential fund-raising. The Obama campaign is hoping many of its 650,000 contributors will continue to give more in the months ahead.

By contrast, the other contender for the Democratic nomination, Hillary Clinton, has relied more on a smaller pool of big-money donors, many of whom have already given the maximum allowable under the law.

The $US32 million ($A35.7 million) is significant because no candidate who has yet to secure the party nomination has raised this amount in a single month.

Raising money from small donors is very good, imo.
Large contributors (read lobbyists) are looking for something for their bucks.

Power to the People!

anyone for KFC?

kentucky fried clinton??

Attachments

• hillary_kfcspecial.jpg
    hillary_kfcspecial.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 88

Hey Doris, from a News report on Lateline ABC, it was stated that a NY publication (can't recall which one) had it up for all to see on their billboards (Time Square I presume?) that Clinton was slightly ahead.

Clinton won NY and Cali...bigger states to those won by Obama on super Tuesday.

TR... You are right!

That would have been the total overall delegates whereas it seems the boys were lauding the Super TUESDAY polls:

http://edition.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/scorecard/#D

TOTAL DELEGATES TO DATE

Hillary Clinton
Pledged: 840
Superdelegates: 193
Total: 1,033

Barack Obama
Pledged: 831
Superdelegates: 106
Total: 937

1996 of the 4049 delegates have been pledged to date. 26 went to John Edwards.

Of course they need 2025 to win as there are 4049 delegates!

Obama Campaign Adviser Welcomes Super Tuesday Results

Former US Assistant Secretary of State for Africa in President Bill Clinton’s administration, Susan Rice, is an Obama supporter, adviser, and campaigner in this election year. She says Senator Obama’s success on Super Tuesday keeps him very much in the running.

“Senator Obama is on a very positive trajectory. Electorally, he won more delegates than Senator Clinton did on Tuesday. He won more states than Senator Clinton did, and it is quite an extraordinary position for him to be in,” she said.

Ms. Rice, who is a Senior Foreign Policy Fellow on leave from Washington's Brookings Institution, refutes the notion that Senators Clinton and Obama take similar positions on most political issues and says there is a lot of room for discerning voters to make a choice.

“I think their differences are significant, both on policy and in terms of their character and orientation. I was privileged to serve President (Bill) Clinton for eight years in the White House and the State Department, and I have considerable respect and admiration for President Clinton and Mrs. Clinton. But I am for Barack Obama at this point because I think he is precisely the sort of leader that the United States needs at this point. We need somebody who is focused on the future, who can bring our country together, who won’t be sidelined or trapped in the divisive politics of the past,” Rice reasons.

As for upcoming state primaries this month and next, Susan Rice expects the political momentum to keep building for her candidate because his message of hope and idealism appeal and rejuvenate voter enthusiasm, not only among African-Americans and young voters, but also tap into a large number of voters once believed to be behind Senator Clinton.

What is dramatically clear is that the more the public and the American voters see of Barack Obama, the stronger his performance is at the polls. He has closed an extraordinary 30 point gap in the national polls. When all the votes from Tuesday are counted, you will see that Senator Obama and Senator Clinton got virtually the same number of votes. He is appealing to Americans’ desire to put division and discord behind us,” said Rice.

Named to Obama’s campaign team of national foreign policy experts before the current primary election season, former State Department official Rice notes that one of the great strengths of an Obama presidency would be his ability to win respect and new friends for America around the globe.

“Barack Obama is a man who has roots in many different quarters of the world, as well as obviously here in the United States. He has a judgment and a temperament that enable him to see the danger and the folly of the war in Iraq from the start, enabled him to call timeout when the hawks in Washington were beating the drums for war with Iran. He has a sensitivity and a sensibility about America’s relationship with the rest of the world that I think is very badly needed. He recognizes that America’s security and well-being is inextricably linked to the security and well-being of people in Africa, in Asia, and Latin America and every other part of the world,” says Rice.

Ron Paul

Ron Paul is the only candidate who should be President...

I like what this guy says.
This guy is leaning towards anti-capitalism though. Its capitalism that causes inflation with the principle of 'interest' on money borrowed and ever expanding 'growth' instead of moving towards sustainability. We cant grow forever. that much is obvious. Capitalism has a finite life. There will be something to replace but i dont think we are ready yet.

Governments seem to think they should be like capitalist business and grow. I think they should be the opposite. they should to try to shrink. To become less of a burden on society. It is entirely possible for taxes to go down cosistantly in reak terms. But they continue to go up.

He wont get in though. It would take a revolution to apply even one of his ideas.

( wasnt much in that about stocks and shares was there! )

I hope Obama prevails and is the new first ever black president of USA - what a coup that would be, so exciting. The old politics in usa needs a big buzz and people are starving for what he offers. they call him the new JFK and that is ok but ominous as such vibrant inspiring figures also trigger the flip side of the coin and we don't want to cope with another assassination.

TR... You are right!

That would have been the total overall delegates whereas it seems the boys were lauding the Super TUESDAY polls:

http://edition.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/scorecard/#D

TOTAL DELEGATES TO DATE

Hillary Clinton
Pledged: 840
Superdelegates: 193
Total: 1,033

Barack Obama
Pledged: 831
Superdelegates: 106
Total: 937

1996 of the 4049 delegates have been pledged to date. 26 went to John Edwards.

Of course they need 2025 to win as there are 4049 delegates!

http://www.smh.com.au/news/us-election/swing-to-obama-expected/2008/02/09/1202234232387.html

February 10, 2008
"The final tally of delegates has still not been allocated following the Super Tuesday poll. Yesterday, the 2008 Democratic Convention Watch website gave Senator Clinton 862 elected delegates to Senator Obama's 883. But when super-delegates - the 700-plus members of Congress, governors and others who automatically have a vote at the conventions - are taken into account, Senator Clinton has 1065 delegates while Senator Obama has 996.

The race for the candidacy looks poised to swing Senator Obama's way after this weekend's round of voting in Washington State, Nebraska, the Virgin Islands and Louisiana.

Senator Clinton's campaign team anticipates that she will lose her lead this month but is banking on her regaining it in the mega-states of Texas and Ohio on March 4 and Pennsylvania on April 22."

Why don't they include Maine in their item?
Obama Rally there today our time (voting tomorrow our time) in Bangor Maine!

Hey 2020... Got a song on that? King of the Road? ;)

Sent: Friday, 8 February 2008 11:04 PM
To: Doris *******
Subject: One last thing...

Doris --

Sunday is Caucus Day in Maine, and I'm writing to you with an important reminder to caucus and to make sure that your family, friends, and neighbors get out and caucus too.

When Michelle and I talked about my running for president, one of the core goals we both had for this campaign was to leave the political process better off than we found it.

You have challenged conventional thinking and built a grassroots movement for change that is sweeping this country.

I have no doubt that the election Sunday will be close.
Our work here will have a lasting impact in Maine for a long time to come.

I believe that this movement for change can do more than just win an election. Together, we can transform this country.

Thank you for being part of this,

Barack

P.S. -- Here are a few details and rules that will help make the caucus process run smoothly. Make sure to share these with your friends:

• Different caucuses will begin at different times.
• If you are not on the voter rolls, you can register on-site and participate in the caucus.
• If you are not currently enrolled in any party, you can register at the caucus site.
• If you will be 18 by November 4, 2008, you may register and take part in the caucus.

Paid for by Obama for America
This email was sent to: doris.*******@bigpond.com

I hope Obama prevails and is the new first ever black president of USA - what a coup that would be, so exciting. The old politics in usa needs a big buzz and people are starving for what he offers. they call him the new JFK and that is ok but ominous as such vibrant inspiring figures also trigger the flip side of the coin and we don't want to cope with another assassination.

You sound inspired VIDA! Yes... he's caused a buzz and a feeding frenzy!

I have to say I don't even think of his colour. I see the passion, intelligence and determination in his eyes and feel so anticipatory about what he could do with this job. His public persona is not a facade.

He is always saying 'we', whereas Hillary is always 'I and you'.

His secret service security is tight... and no bags nor placards allowed into rallies. But yes it's a constant concern.

Every $25 donation has another voter feeling as they own a part of his campaign. His fund raising speaks volumes!

Hi Doris

Yes there is definitely something special about him, he comes across as brilliant, caring, uncorrupted and sincere. We don't normally find that in politicians usually the exact opposite. Then he isn't really black but half white so he crosses the divide, and then he is tall and handsome and has a nice family. His wife will clearly be an active participant and the white house will still have a woman in power who is probably also capable of becoming president one day in the far far future. So he opens the door to a big renaissance in usa and the world and I think he will win it. Its amazing how it seemed hilary had it in the bag with her massive funding but now he has it too

I have to say I don't even think of his colour. I see the passion, intelligence and determination in his eyes and feel so anticipatory about what he could do with this job. His public persona is not a facade.

His secret service security is tight... and no bags nor placards allowed into rallies. But yes it's a constant concern.

Every $25 donation has another voter feeling as they own a part of his campaign. His fund raising speaks volumes!

Doris
a couple of youtubes that your friend may enjoy
by a bloke over here name of Hugh Atkin - genious at this stuff :D
He won the ABC Innovative Sledge competition ;)

Do you think "change" is the buzzword maybe? lol

(PS I just wish the coke machine at work would occasionally deliver "change" :eek: )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEaS-K3j3M8

this one is ok also :2twocents

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3enFIPvnFg

http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/sledge/
Hugh Atkin, 23-year-old law student from Sydney, is preparing himself for a big week with The Chaser following the announcement of his win in ABC Innovation's Sledge competition.
We asked Australians to help lighten up the lead into this Saturday's polls by uploading their own satirical takes on politics, with the prize being a week spent in production with the Chaser team.
Hugh will be thrown straight in to the lion’s den, as his first day with the team is this week, two days out from polling. He’ll stay on to Wednesday 28 November with the taping of the final episode of The Chaser Decides.
Hugh's video "Kevin Rudd – Chinese Propaganda" featured a parody of Maoist political 'advertising'. It cleverly tied Rudd's well-known interest in China into a pastiche of political speak and imagery.
"The judges chose the winner from a strong field of entertaining videos and it’s heartening to see that political satire is alive, well and thriving in every corner of Australia," said Bruce Belsham, editor abc.net.au.
"Not only have we uncovered some great new talent, we’ve helped provide what Australians need in the long lead up to this election – some laughs."
The competition was judged by
John Safran – comedian and triple j presenter
Chris Scaddan – program director, triple j
Andy Nehl – series producer, The Chaser’s War on Everything
Bruce Belsham – editor, abc.net.au
Have a laugh before the serious business of Saturday by going to the Sledge entries and see Hugh's winning entry plus more of his work and a selection of our other favourites.
Sledge of course lives on - and you're welcome to continue sending us your satirical videos. And we will continue to highlight a selection here on Sledge.

Hi Doris, Don't you think it is best for the Democratic Party for Obama to drop out of the race, afterall, Romney did the Gentlemanly thing and fell on his sword?

Just in: http://blog.washingtonpost.com/livecoverage/?hpid=topnews

Obama Wins in Nebraska, Leads Clinton in Washington State

Sen. Barack Obama (Ill.) defeated Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (N.Y) in Nebraska and took a strong lead over Clinton in Washington state today, as the two combatants for the Democratic presidential nomination fought over delegates in the Midwest, the Northwest and the Gulf Coast.

With nearly two thirds of the Nebraska caucus vote counted, Obama led Clinton, 69 percent to 31 percent. In Washington state, meanwhile, Obama took about a two-to-one lead over Clinton, with about a third of the caucus votes counted.

In the wake of Tuesday's showdown in 21 states that left Clinton (N.Y.) and Obama (Ill.) roughly even in the number of pledged delegates, the two have lavished attention on Nebraska, Louisiana and Washington state, in a frenetic effort to bulk up their delegate counts.

Earlier today, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee delivered a humiliating defeat to Sen. John McCain (Ariz.) in the Kansas Republican presidential caucuses. Although McCain appeared to have locked up the nomination with a strong Super Tuesday performance and former governor Mitt Romney's announcement he was dropping out of the race, Huckabee beat McCain in Kansas, 60 percent to 24 percent, with 11 percent going to Rep. Ron Paul (R-Tex.)

At stake today were 36 of Kansas's 39 delegates to the Republican National Convention this summer, and Huckabee won all 36.

I'm sure we don't have to worry about Huck. Religious fanatics are parochial.

For those who said Obama didn't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting the nomination, this snowball is rolling down the hill and the momentum is awesome!

Why is the press NOT noting the Maine caucus is on? Barack's main challenge this weekend is Maine.
Hmmm... Ok... It's Saturday there... Maine is tomorrow!

Barack puts on a great show. It reminds me of most current music videos.... Long on showmanship and special effects, short on talent. Likewise Obama is long on hyperbole, short on substance.

But the bloody Yanks like that... in music and politics.

Barack puts on a great show. It reminds me of most current music videos.... Long on showmanship and special effects, short on talent. Likewise Obama is long on hyperbole, short on substance.

But the bloody Yanks like that... in music and politics.
hyperbowl ?
hey you keep grid iron out of this!