Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Barack Obama!

Re: Barack 2008!

Julia, did you notice how McCain prowled around the stage as Obama spoke?
Yes, I very much noticed this and thought it was a clear attempt at distracting not so much Obama as the audience. I doubt that it would have worked except perhaps in reverse, in that Obama declined to do any similar distracting movements, and thus demonstrating more confidence.

Noirua, if Mr McCain has piles and is required to constantly move about to keep comfortable it might not go down too well in tight negotiations with foreign leaders. Or even important social occasions. Picture a swanky banquet with everyone politely conversing and trying not to notice the President walking around the room!

This election looks like Obama's to lose unless something very surprising happens.

I don't know what you girls and guys are going to do if Obama loses.

It sounds as if you are talking more about a movie star than a politician.

Perhaps if Obama didn't move so much he could have that shaking disease that older people get, whats it called, the one that Michael Fox has, Parkiminism. That would be worse than a dose of the piles in negotiations.

gg

Is this what the whole world needs to hear?

"The American people aren't looking for someone who can divide this country - they're looking for someone who will lead this country. They can run misleading ads and pursue the politics of anything goes, but it's not going to work.
Not this time."

"The American story has never been about things coming easy," Obama said.
"It's been about rising to the moment when the moment is hard."

"Now is not the time for fear," he said. "Now is not the time for panic. Now is the time for resolve and steady leadership. . . . We can renew that fundamental belief -- that in America, our destiny is not written for us, but by us.
That's who we are and that's the country we need to be right now."

Obama offered a "small business rescue plan" of tax cuts and low-cost loans.
"We won't grow government," he pledged. "We'll work within the Small Business Administration to keep folks afloat, while providing tax cuts to lift the tide."

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/washingtondc/la-na-campaign11-2008oct11,0,49531.story

Is this what the whole world needs to hear?

"The American people aren't looking for someone who can divide this country - they're looking for someone who will lead this country. They can run misleading ads and pursue the politics of anything goes, but it's not going to work.
Not this time."

"The American story has never been about things coming easy," Obama said.
"It's been about rising to the moment when the moment is hard."

"Now is not the time for fear," he said. "Now is not the time for panic. Now is the time for resolve and steady leadership. . . . We can renew that fundamental belief -- that in America, our destiny is not written for us, but by us.
That's who we are and that's the country we need to be right now."

Obama offered a "small business rescue plan" of tax cuts and low-cost loans.
"We won't grow government," he pledged. "We'll work within the Small Business Administration to keep folks afloat, while providing tax cuts to lift the tide."

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/washingtondc/la-na-campaign11-2008oct11,0,49531.story

Democrats always increase the size of government, its a fact. They are well known for it.

gg

Your perception. Who was that guy? Oh Ronald Reagan from Hollywood the real deal political celebrity!!

Get your facts right.

Yes Green mate, he was a movie star, a republican, had alzheimers and still saw the USA through one of the greatest periods of economic and military success in its history. So don't be too scared about McCain's age. But I take your point. My point was that it seems to be mostly ladies on this forum who support Obama so there may be a fair amount of sexual energy invested in their support. Nothing wrong with that mind you. All sorts of energy go into making a pie.

gg

scared about McCain's age. But I take your point. My point was that it seems to be mostly ladies on this forum who support Obama so there may be a fair amount of sexual energy invested in their support. Nothing wrong with that mind you. All sorts of energy go into making a pie.

gg

Not scared of his age or him.

Ladies on this forum, I think you could say male support for Sarah.

It is not a sexist issue from me but a serious change for the world. Why do you hate Obama and Biden so much?

This is not a joke! :eek:

What can they do about these? Count them if ticked? :confused:

Candidate labeled 'Osama' on some absentee ballots

TROY, N.Y. - Who is running for president? In an upstate New York county, hundreds of voters have been sent absentee ballots in which they could vote for "Barack Osama."

To Americans, the best-known individual named Osama is Osama bin Laden, leader of the Al Qaeda terrorist group behind the 2001 attacks that destroyed the World Trade Center in New York City.

The Rensselaer County elections office faxed a statement in which the two commissioners, Democrat Edward McDonough and Republican Larry Bugbee, said they regret the typographical error.

"We wish we could turn back the clock, but we can't."

http://www.boston.com/news/politics...0/11/mccain_ad_deplores_obamas_ties_to_ayers/

Republicans will use any slight of hand to win

We can't expect any integrity from them. They play some nasty games which is interesting. Politics brings out their true character.

Not scared of his age or him.

Ladies on this forum, I think you could say male support for Sarah.

It is not a sexist issue from me but a serious change for the world. Why do you hate Obama and Biden so much?

I don't hate Barack or Joe mate. I think they are fine men who want the best for their country.

I'd just prefer to see John and Sarah leading it.

I also think you overestimate the "change in the world" that will occur after the election. Look what Osama did with a half dozen or so Islamist nutters. Now that has changed the world.

Now was it cold out there, you haven't answered my question in the previous post about the snow?

gg

II also think you overestimate the "change in the world" that will occur after the election. Look what Osama did with a half dozen or so Islamist nutters. Now that has changed the world.

Now was it cold out there, you haven't answered my question in the previous post about the snow?

gg

If your group are so fine the R's, why is Bin Laden still walking around??? Your answer is on Palin's thread. Is that the best you can do?

GG stop your stirring! You're asking for the wooden spoon! ;)

Was good of your kind hero to get in early with his smears - helping people know more about Barack was bipartisan! :cool:
- at least for people who can read and seek to find answers. Do Joe six-packs/rednecks? :confused:

* This reminds me how thieves lock up their own homes and cars securely. Why? :rolleyes:
* Imagine if McCain's men had put all this nastiness into something constructive, what might they have achieved?
* McCain is a desperate puppet - looking low and cheap - smashing Barack's leggos instead of building with his own.

On Obama, Acorn and Voter Registration:

Smear: McCain’s campaign today stepped up its efforts to tie Obama to a community organizing group that has been accused of involvement in problematic voter registrations in several hotly contested states, including Colorado, Indiana, Nevada and North Carolina.

Acorn, the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now, has long been a favorite target of conservatives.

Facts:
CEO Ms. Lewis said it was Acorn itself that informed state officials about some questionable registrations collected by its employees that are now under investigation. Acorn said it had terminated the workers involved.

Rick Davis, McCain’s campaign manager, said:

1. Obama had worked as Acorn’s lawyer
2. and conducted training events for its leaders.
3. He also noted a payment the Obama campaign made in February to an Acorn affiliate, Citizens Services Inc.

1. In 1995, Obama was on a team of lawyers that represented Acorn in a lawsuit to compel Illinois to comply with federal laws intended to enhance access to the polls. The team also represented Equip for Equality, a group that promotes the rights of the disabled, and four individuals.

Davis said as their lawyer, Mr. Obama had “an intimate relationship” with Acorn “against the State of Illinois and the federal government.”

Facts:
the Justice Department was on the same side as Acorn in the lawsuit, as were other organizations, including the League of Women Voters. Those plaintiffs won the case.

2. Davis urged reporters to question Obama about training sessions he had done for Acorn.
“What were you teaching them?” Davis asked. “Were you teaching them how to evade the law?”

Facts:
Lewis Goldberg, a spokesman for Acorn, said Mr. Obama conducted two leadership training sessions of roughly an hour each for Acorn’s Chicago affiliate over a three-year period in the late 1990s. He was not paid for that work, Mr. Goldberg said.

3. Even before today, Republicans had made much of an $832,598 payment made in February by the Obama campaign to Citizens Services Inc., a consulting firm affiliated with Acorn.

This organization is not just related to but deeply ingrained in the Acorn organization, a front group for Acorn.”

Facts:
The Obama campaign initially reported that the payment was for “staging, sound, lighting” and other advance work when it reported its expenditures with the Federal Election Commission. It filed amended reports in August and September to reflect that those payments were for get-out-the-vote efforts.

Note: Davis contended that the original filing was an effort to “hide the fact” that money was paid to Acorn.
But F.E.C. officials have said such amended filings are common.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/11/us/politics/11acorn.html?ref=us

Some basic facts FYI:

* Obama earned a bachelor's degree in political science from Columbia University in 1983

* spent a year working in a top corporation but needed to 'make a difference'.

* worked for very low pay as a community organizer for a church-based group in Chicago

* earned his law degree at Harvard (financed by student loans)

* In 1991, he returned to Chicago, where he practiced civil-rights law.

* 1996: began eight years in the Illinois State Senate

* was elected to the U.S. Senate in 2004.

* has served, since 1993, as a senior lecturer on constitutional law at the University of Chicago (now on leave).

- "Higher education is the long-term solution to reversing the income disparities that have stretched the middle class to the breaking point. We must increase access."

- To help finance his education priorities, he supports cutting banks out of the student-loan system, thereby eliminating billions of dollars in government subsidies to private lenders. Some public-policy analysts have praised that proposal (also advocated by other Democrats), saying it would help reduce inefficiencies in the student-loan system.

- He proposes creating a tax credit, worth up to $4,000 per year, for tuition. The credit would be refundable, so people would benefit even if their incomes were too low for them to owe taxes.

- "We should work to build an America where the qualified white student from rural South Carolina who worked hard to beat the odds, and the qualified black student from the South Side of Chicago who did the same, can attend classes together, learn from each other, teach their classmates a thing or two and vice versa, and together go off into the world prepared for a diverse work force."

Obama's record at Harvard provides an indication of how he might govern as president.

Gaining the support of both progressive and conservative editors, Obama was selected as the first black president of the Harvard Law Review.

He had decided to seek the post believing that he might help ease ideological tensions at the journal even as the campus was embroiled in divisive doctrinal and political debates over issues like faculty diversity.

In the midst of those battles, Obama presided over difficult debates among intellectuals with wildly different and intensely held views. Yet he was able to set an amicable tone at the journal, according to Charles J. Ogletree Jr., a Harvard law professor who taught Obama and served as his mentor.

The editors of the law journal "saw him as a coalescing force around which they could come together and do high-quality work."

"He was able to gently steer them without anyone feeling compromised or undermined in their views."

Compare this to someone who has lived his life fighting and dividing. Enough!

Doris mate, its late.

I had a great night, and this post is written on the way to the fridge for a VB.

Met a hostie on a stopover and I'm going back for thirds.

You are in love with Obama. Give him a call. It works.

gg

rederob , loved your post, a great put down.

gg

I also got some tags at the pub, so I may be off roo shooting Monday. Lets hope the market is allowed to find its equilibrium without interference from government.

gg

aint life good.

gg

Republicans will use any slight of hand to win

We can't expect any integrity from them. They play some nasty games which is interesting. Politics brings out their true character.

Well McCain warned he'd go for the jugular...
- to use a tactic to repudiate the country's trust in Obama's saving their economy... Fear of Obama! :eek:

Why would Palin or McCain curb animosity in the crowd when it is the success of their ploy? :confused:

Shaden Freude... pleasure when the brain releases chemicals from joy at someone else's pain.

Republicans want to 'win' and people innately need to feel safe and belong - especially today.
Their character is depicted clearly in their group security of reviling Obama as the scapegoat for their woes.

Who will survive?

At McCain-Palin rallies, the raucous and insistent cries of “Treason!” and “Terrorist!” and “Kill him!” and “Off with his head!” as well as the uninhibited slinging of racial epithets, are actually something new in a campaign that has seen almost every conceivable twist. They are alarms. Doing nothing is not an option.

What makes them different, is the violent escalation in rhetoric, especially (though not exclusively) by Palin. Obama “launched his political career in the living room of a domestic terrorist.” He is “palling around with terrorists” (note the plural noun). Obama is “not a man who sees America the way you and I see America.” Wielding a wildly out-of-context Obama quote, Palin slurs him as an enemy of American troops.

By the time McCain asks the crowd “Who is the real Barack Obama?” it’s no surprise that someone cries out “Terrorist!”

Obama is being branded as a potential killer and an accessory to past attempts at murder. “Barack Obama’s friend tried to kill my family” was how a McCain press release last week packaged the remembrance of a Weather Underground incident from 1970 — when Obama was 8.

We all know what punishment fits the crime of murder, even potential murder, if the security of post-9/11 is at stake. We all know self-appointed “patriotic” martyrs always justify taking the law into their own hands.

What’s troubling here is not only the candidates’ loose inflammatory talk but also their refusal to step in promptly and strongly when someone responds to it with bloodthirsty threats in a crowded arena.
Joe Biden had it exactly right when he expressed concern last week that “a leading politician who might be vice president of the United States would not just stop midsentence and turn and condemn that.”
To stay silent is to pour gas on the fires.

Is there still enough racism in America to prevent a black man from being elected president no matter what? And, will Republicans play the race card? The jury is out on the first question until Nov. 4.
But we now have the unambiguous answer to the second: Yes.

There are no black faces high in the McCain hierarchy to object to these tactics. There hasn’t been a single black Republican governor, senator or House member in six years. There are indeed so few people of color at McCain events that a black senior writer from The Tallahassee Democrat was mistakenly ejected by the Secret Service from a campaign rally in Panama City in August, even though he was standing with other reporters and showed his credentials. His only apparent infraction was to look glaringly out of place.

Voters are looking for a leader who might help rescue them, not a reckless gambler whose lurching responses to the economic meltdown (a campaign “suspension,” a mortgage-buyout stunt that changes daily) are as unhinged as his wanderings around the debate stage.

The McCain campaign has crossed the line between tough negative campaigning and inciting vigilantism, and each day the mob howls louder. The onus is on the man who says he puts his country first to call off the dogs, pit bulls and otherwise.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/12/opinion/12rich.html

Interesting article:

Who Wrote Dreams From My Father?
Jack Cashell

Prior to 1990, when Barack Obama contracted to write Dreams From My Father, he had written very close to nothing. Then, five years later, this untested 33 year-old produced what Time Magazine has called -- with a straight face -- "the best-written memoir ever produced by an American politician."

The public is asked to believe Obama wrote Dreams From My Father on his own, almost as though he were some sort of literary idiot savant. I do not buy this canard for a minute, not at all. Writing is as much a craft as, say, golf. To put this in perspective, imagine if a friend played a few rounds in the high 90s and then a few years later, without further practice, made the PGA Tour. It doesn't happen...

I bought Bill Ayers' 2001 memoir, Fugitive Days, for reasons unrelated to this project. As I discovered, he writes surprisingly well and very much like "Obama." In fact, my first thought was that the two may have shared the same ghostwriter. Unlike Dreams, however, where the high style is intermittent, Fugitive Days is infused with the authorial voice in every sentence. What is more, when Ayers speaks, even off the cuff, he uses a cadence and vocabulary consistent with his memoir. One does not hear any of Dreams in Obama's casual speech.

Obama's memoir was published in June 1995. Earlier that year, Ayers helped Obama, then a junior lawyer at a minor law firm, get appointed chairman of the multi-million dollar Chicago Annenberg Challenge grant. In the fall of that same year, 1995, Ayers and his wife, Weatherwoman Bernardine Dohrn, helped blaze Obama's path to political power with a fundraiser in their Chicago home.

In short, Ayers had the means, the motive, the time, the place and the literary ability to jumpstart Obama's career. And, as Ayers had to know, a lovely memoir under Obama's belt made for a much better resume than an unfulfilled contract over his head.

Entire article here: http://www.americanthinker.com/2008/10/who_wrote_dreams_from_my_fathe_1.html

Obama almost certainly had a ghost writer. This writer thinks that is was Bill Ayers, and makes a pretty good case. I dare any good reporter to ask Obama directly "Did Bill Ayers help you write this book?

Yes Green mate, he was a movie star, a republican, had alzheimers and still saw the USA through one of the greatest periods of economic and military success in its history. So don't be too scared about McCain's age. But I take your point.
gg

Reagan developed Alzheimer's during his second term but had gathered good people who supported and carried him for the good of the nation, successfully hiding his condition. McCain tries to bask in his success - but he is not Reagan.

Did you know McCain's father and grandfather were both deceased at his age?
His mother's longevity genes are good but hey... she looks younger than he does!

McCain interjecting: Senator... uh... Senator Oba... uh uh... Senator Obama doesn't... uh...

Here is evidence to support my choice in less than a minute:

Did you know McCain's father and grandfather were both deceased at his age?
His mother's longevity genes are good but hey... she looks younger than he does!

Did you know that Barack Obama's father died at 46, younger than Obama is now? And his mother at the ripe old age of 53?

And Obama was (and many speculate still is) a smoker all his life.

I think I'll bet on McCain's genes.

Did you know that Barack Obama's father died at 46, younger than Obama is now? And his mother at the ripe old age of 53?

Obama Snr. Barack's biological father (who died in a 1982 car accident). That is not genetic

If he is smoking difficult to prove. I do believe we have all committed some offence to our bodies one time or another.