Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Barack Obama!

Re: Barack 2008!

Hey Vida...

When I read Barack's book, 'The Audacity of Hope', in December 2006, I felt Wow! This guy should be president! He could actually change the world by uniting all colours and creeds as he sees people as intrinsically valued individuals. He treated problems as opportunities to solve them and relished them as he has an innate talent of gathering information before drawing conclusions. If you haven't read his book you have a treat in store. So easy and enjoyable to read as you get inside his mind and his life.

He is not just affecting the voters but gathering government leaders... uniting people augers well for implementation in 2009:

Obama spoke at three major events in Seattle yesterday, where he picked up the endorsement of Washington Gov. Christine Gregoire. Gov. Gregoire (D) threw her support to Obama late this week after speaking with the Illinois senator four times. "He is leading us toward a positive feeling of hope in our country, and I love seeing that happen," she said.

The day before, he addressed big crowds in New Orleans and Omaha.

Obama has Sen. Ben Nelson (D-Neb.), Omaha Mayor Mike Fahey and Lincoln Mayor Chris Beutler on his side. Nelson noted that Obama's Thursday visit to Omaha was the first time a high-profile presidential candidate had campaigned in a Nebraska primary since the late Sen. Robert F. Kennedy appeared there in 1968.

I wonder if someone in the campaign noted and planned this... obviously good strategy for making Nebraskan voters feel valued!

We like people who make us feel good! The typical 'blame and attack' divisive campaign doesn't do this for most although some enjoy the Shaden Freude.

Obama sells his product without denigrating the opposition's product. This engenders voters looking to Obama for what appeals and makes them feel good, rather than being turned off by traditional continual political spite attacks. He promotes their self-esteem in his hope theme.

Do you think "change" is the buzzword maybe? lol

(PS I just wish the coke machine at work would occasionally deliver "change" :eek: )

2020... you're the master for puns! :)

But I'm shocked! You gave up coffee... but your caffeine hit still comes!

Stick with coffee mate! Up to three hits a day has anti-carcinogenic potential. Coke has acids that (like excess caffeine) leech calcium from your bones. If you eat salty food with it then it's excreted from the kidneys! Osteoporosis is incurable!

Osteoporosis is incurable!

ahh lol - now to give up coke as well - (I was joking btw - they took the coke machine away because we all refused to buy any lol)

- PS so is stupidity incurable I'm told. :2twocents
I trust you watched the youtubes...;)

witty - fair - without being nasty.

These by same author (student at Sydney Uni) - on local politics though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbc6Uvgjle4 Nelson ( posted elsewhere)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptccZze7VxQ Kevin Rudd - Chinese Propaganda Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEVHZly21Kk ditto
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtFZ8oe8ouU John Howard's Orangutan Initiative

This bloke (Hugh Atkin) could well be a guest on Chasers (reading between the lines somewhere there) :)

Hi Doris, Don't you think it is best for the Democratic Party for Obama to drop out of the race, afterall, Romney did the Gentlemanly thing and fell on his sword?

Huh? :confused:

Losers never win (because they give up) and winners never lose (endurance of Obama and Hillary)!

A Parting Gift for Romney
Posted at 5:16 PM ET on Feb 9, 2008 (This morning our time)

Mitt Romney told conservatives at CPAC Thursday that he was dropping out of the race. Today, those same conservatives chose Romney as their choice for the Republican nomination.

More than three-quarters of the ballots cast in the CPAC straw poll were turned in after Romney's much-publicized announcement. But Romney still edged out Sen. John McCain, 35 percent to 34 percent, according to the CPAC web site.

Romney did his maths and figured his $35 million personal contribution was enough outlay for the delegates he was getting. He said he'll be back next time. He's a businessman who misread the maths in their complicated system when he bailed out, so he'd have been even more disastrous making decisions for the country IMO!

WHY POLLS VARY IN WHO IS WINNING:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/interactives/campaign08/primaries/

"We have earned more delegates, won more votes, and won more states [than the Clinton campaign]"

--Obama campaign manager David Plouffe, conference call with reporters, Feb. 7, 2008.

Most news organizations, including The Washington Post, are showing Hillary Clinton slightly ahead of Barack Obama in delegates to the Democratic Convention. So how can the Obama campaign claim that it is ahead?

The answer lies in the mind-boggling complexity of the Democratic nomination process, with rules that vary from state to state and several different categories of delegates. Some states that voted on Super Tuesday have yet to apportion all their delegates and it will take some time before anybody can come up with precise figures.

The Facts (Sunday morning our time)

The Obama campaign is correct in claiming that it has won the most states.

Hillary: 1064... 12 states
Obama: 1029... 18 states

The total number of a state's delegates may not be allocated at the time that state's winner is declared.

Additionally, a state's "superdelegates" may commit to a candidate at any time until the party convention.

The Obama camp can also fairly claim to have won the largest share of the popular vote:

7,825,466 for Obama and 7,734,770 for Clinton.

The EARNED DELEGATE TOTALS are much more complicated.
As used by the Obama campaign, this term excludes unpledged delegates, or superdelegates. Here, everything depends on who is doing the counting.

Some delegates are apportioned by congressional district, while other delegates are apportioned at the state level.

The overall Associated Press figures also include informal surveys of superdelegates, mainly members of Congress and other prominent Democratic Party officials, who are free to change their vote at any time.

NBC has been showing a slight advantage for Obama in pledged delegates. The NBC count excludes superdelegates.

Websites to keep track of the delegate totals: They all report different figures, with NBC News the only one so far to put Obama ahead (in pledged delegates.)

Washington Post
New York Times
ABC
CBS
NBC
CNN

So... some news media take informal survey results on superdelegates and add this to their total... even though these superdelegates have not formally pledged and can change their mind up until the August convention.

ahh lol - now to give up coke as well - (I was joking btw - they took the coke machine away because we all refused to buy any lol)

- PS so is stupidity incurable I'm told. :2twocents
I trust you watched the youtubes...;)

witty - fair - without being nasty.

These by same author (student at Sydney Uni) - on local politics though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbc6Uvgjle4 Nelson ( posted elsewhere)

This bloke (Hugh Atkin) could well be a guest on Chasers (reading between the lines somewhere there) :)

Nelson... well... :( Won't tempt fate... touch wood.

Brilliant and innovative Hugh Atkin videos!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEaS-K3j3M8

The work that Hugh Atkin put into editing this! Brilliant!
Of course the others joined Barack's bandwagon of his slogan you know:
"Change we can believe in"...

Yes...There's often a thin line between being witty and being nasty...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3enFIPvnFg

To actually have a memory and neuron network so good as to link the idiosyncrasies of Cruise's interview on Scientology with Hillary's tear-jerker interview that tried to show voters she had a heart. Brilliant!

I won't tell Debbie (in OC) that it was B grade acting on Hillary's part when I send her the link.

Cruise was credible... Hillary's affectations were hyperbole! ;)

Barack Obama trounces Hillary Clinton... Released 2 hours ago

Barack Obama trounced Hillary Clinton in contests across America last night, beating her by margins of more than two to one in Washington state and Nebraska and winning the Louisiana primary by 53 per cent to 39 per cent, with over two-thirds of the votes counted.

The scale of his triumph sent shockwaves through Clinton’s campaign, even though it was braced for a poor night. Obama won the Nebraska caucuses by 68 to 32 per cent and Washington state by 68 to 31 per cent. Obama led Clinton, 58 percent to 36 percent, in Louisiana. He won 90 per cent of the vote in the US Virgin Islands.

Obama’s clean sweep will help him to catch up with Clinton in the race to obtain the 2025 delegates needed to secure his party’s nomination. He now heads into the delegate-rich “Potomac” primary in Maryland, Virginia and Washington DC on Tuesday with vital momentum.

Obama greeted the results at Democratic party dinner in Richmond, Virginia, last night, which was also attended by Clinton. She left the stage to chants of “Obama” before the arrival of her opponent.

I knew I wouldn’t be Washington’s favourite candidate. I knew we wouldn’t get all the big donors or endorsements right off the bat. I knew I would be the underdog,” Obama said, referring to the start of his campaign a year ago. “But then something started happening.”

Last night’s victories give Obama an edge in the most evenly matched Democratic presidential race in generations, proving that he can beat Clinton in organisation, fundraising and the popular vote. The New York senator was forced to loan her own campaign $5m last month to stay competitive with Obama, despite raising over $100m last year.

Clinton’s camp admitted that it was “dramatically outspent” by Obama in last night’s contests, an excuse it never imagined it would have to make when the battle for the nomination began.

The breadth of Obama’s success from the West Coast to the South and the white heartlands of Middle America will boost his claim to be the best placed candidate to beat John McCain, the near-certain Republican nominee.

The exit polls in Louisiana showed the Democratic race remains polarised between race, gender and class in some states, with Obama winning 82 per cent of the black vote and Clinton winning 70 per cent of the white vote, according to CNN. He continued to attract well-educated voters of all races, while she scored well among blue-collar workers.

Clinton is hoping for a consolation victory when Maine holds its caucus today, but the fervour and commitment of his supporters could outmatch hers.

Obama is worried about Maine!

Roger Miller - King Of The Road

"destination: Bangor Maine"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARj-sWYQs4Y

Will Barack make a clean sweep in Maine tomorrow?

BANGOR, Me. ”” Both Senators Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama campaigned in Maine today in advance of the state’s Democratic caucuses tomorrow.

Maine appears to be one of the post-Super Tuesday states where Mrs. Clinton is very competitive with Mr. Obama, although there have been no polls. A win here could help Mrs. Clinton blunt the edge of what many analysts suggest will be Mr. Obama’s expected victories in some of the other eight states that vote today and later this month before Ohio and Texas in March.

At stake in Maine are 34 delegates, 10 of whom will be unpledged superdelegates. They are allocated proportionately, and with the national delegate count neck and neck, each one matters.

Analysts say that Mrs. Clinton could run well against Mr. Obama here because many of Maine’s voters fit the demographic profile of voters she has won elsewhere: older, blue-collar and heavily female, in a state that is economically stressed. It has a large population of people without college degrees and who make less than $50,000 a year. Almost all voters here are white.

“The demographics don’t favor Obama,” said Amy Fried, also a political scientist at the University of Maine. “But there are other factors at work, like a populist, independent streak, that could work for Obama.”

After flying in from Chicago, Mr. Obama went to Nicky’s, a popular retro diner, for his first event, here in the northern half of the state. He held a roundtable discussion in which he talked about the economy, health-care costs and college tuition issues with four middle-class voters, at least three of whom make less than $44,000.

“America needs a new generation of leadership that will push back,” Mr. Obama said to reporters before sitting down for the roundtable. He also took aim at Mr. McCain, saying that he had “embraced” President Bush’s tax cuts for the wealthy.

Then he offered his own tax-cut plan for the middle class, saying he would cut taxes for 150 million Americans, including 700,000 people in Maine. He also said he would eliminate income taxes for seniors making less than $50,000.

Afterward, he drew 10,000 people to a thunderous rally here at the Bangor Auditorium, where 7,000 people were packed to the rafters and about 3,000 others constituted an overflow crowd outside, according to official estimates.

He took some shots at Mr. McCain and Mrs. Clinton but fired up the crowd when he talked about hope. When John F. Kennedy looked up at the moon, Mr. Obama said, “he didn’t say, ‘Ah, it’s too far.’ He said, ‘Let’s go!’”

“This is our moment, Bangor” he declared. “This is our time.”

He was to fly later tonight to Virginia, where he is to speak at the Jefferson-Jackson Day dinner in advance of Tuesday’s primary there.

This is an example of the devious part of politics that needs eliminating:

Hillary spoke highly of former Senator John Edwards, who dropped out of the race before the Super Tuesday primaries and who was relatively popular here. Both she and Mr. Obama are vying for his supporters.

“I want to compliment Senator Edwards, who is a fighter,” she said. “There is a lot that John and I have in common. And I intend to ask John Edwards to be a part of anything I do.”

A campaign spokeswoman said later that Mrs. Clinton was not necessarily saying she would pick him as her running mate.

Hi Doris, Don't you think it is best for the Democratic Party for Obama to drop out of the race, afterall, Romney did the Gentlemanly thing and fell on his sword?

Noirua, do you really see an analogy between Mitt and Barack?

My apologies for being attracted to what I want to hear:

Romney Reaganesque Withdrawal
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/02/08/romney-reaganesque-withdrawl/#more-4188

Just before Mitt Romney made his exit yesterday, Laura Ingraham introduced him to a crowd of conservatives by asserting that Republicans had made a fateful mistake at their tumultuous convention in 1976 by nominating the incumbent President Gerald Ford, a moderate, over Reagan. Mr. Romney then took the stage and picked up on the same analogy, putting himself in the role of Reagan. “There is an important difference between now and 1976,” he said. “Today we are a nation at war.” And for that reason, he said, he had to withdraw now so that the party could unify against the Democratic threat to withdraw prematurely from Iraq.

Well, yes, the war is one difference between this race and 1976. Here’s another: In 1976, Reagan was actually winning tons of delegates. In fact, he came to the Republican convention very nearly poised to steal the nomination from a sitting president of his own party; he had millions of followers who would have walked any distance to make it happen.

Mr. Romney, by contrast, was in third place, behind Mike Huckabee, who’s campaign has raised about as much money as the kid who just knocked on my door because his class is going to Florida. More than a quarter of the states Mr. Romney managed to win were those he had lived in, despite spending more than $35 million of his own money to attack his rivals everywhere else.

Here’s another small difference between Reagan and Mr. Romney: Reagan was a serious bedrock conservative ideologue, going back to his electrifying support for Barry Goldwater 12 years earlier. Mr. Romney, on the other hand, had said he was an independent during the Reagan years, and not so long ago he was on the record supporting abortion rights and gay rights. It’s hard to be the standard-bearer for a conservative uprising if your own conservatism seems rooted in necessity.

The way Mr. Romney justified his decision yesterday says a lot about why he wasn’t successful in the first place. Rather than just own up to the situation ”” “We just didn’t win the states we needed to win,” or something like that ”” Mr. Romney, ever the business consultant, had to try to customize his message for the client. My colleague David Brooks once wrote that Mr. Romney was running the perfect campaign for 1980, and in this way I think he was right: in an era where voters send every sign that they are craving a sense of authenticity and conviction in their leaders, Mr. Romney always gave the sense that he was telling you what you wanted to hear, or at least what he thought you might believe. He treated his campaign, from the start, less as an expression of self than as a reflection of what his methodical research had determined the market to be.

One of Mr. Romney’s worst moments as a candidate, and one of the most telling, came on Martin Luther King Day, when he greeted black voters in Michigan by chanting “Who Let the Dogs Out?” and complimenting one baby on his serious “bling bling.” It is, even now, excruciating video to watch, and that’s because in it he is trying so darn hard to sound like the people whose votes he is courting. To a lot of conservatives, Mr. Romney’s Reaganesque rhetoric sounded just as tinny””and no less needy. That he went out casting his final concession as a sacrifice to the greater conservative cause, rather than as a bow to simple mathematics, just served to underscore the point.

Obama pummels Clinton in White House clean sweep
one hour ago:

SEATTLE, United States (AFP) ”” Senator Barack Obama swept the board Saturday, pummeling Hillary Clinton in three Democratic nominating contests, as Republican Mike Huckabee gave John McCain a run for his money.

The Illinois senator, bidding to be the country's first black president, swept Washington and Nebraska with a staggering 68 percent of the vote. In Louisiana, with 98 percent of precincts reporting, he was on 57 percent.

"We won north, we won south, we won in between," Obama told 6,000 cheering guests in an electrifying speech at a Democratic dinner in Virginia.

"People want to turn the page. They want to write a new chapter in American history. And today the voters from the west coast to the Gulf coast to the heart of America stood up to say yes, we can," Obama said.

Saturday's results give 46-year-old Obama a high-voltage burst of energy ahead of the next nominating contests: on Tuesday in Virginia, Maryland and Washington DC and then Texas and Ohio on March 4.

And the latest results will be a blow to New York Senator Clinton in her bid to be the first woman president, as she badly needs a win as the race moves to new battlegrounds after the Super Tuesday contests ended in a stalemate.

Clinton, 60, was also pumping up the crowds at the Jefferson-Jackson dinner in Richmond, Virginia, asking: "Are you ready to take back the White House and take back our country?" She was warmly received, but it was Obama who raised the roof.

Clinton and Obama are locked in a tussle for delegates to the party's convention in Denver in August, chasing the 2,025 delegates needed to win the party's nomination for November's presidential elections.

Thanks to the complex Democratic Party rules, it was not immediately clear how many delegates Obama picked up from his victories on Saturday.

But Washington state was the biggest prize with 78 delegates up for grabs, and a further 19 superdelegates who can vote for whom they like. Louisiana has some 56 delegates; Nebraska has 24. Maine, which votes on Sunday, has 24 delegates and 10 superdelegates.

Three delegates were at stake in the Virgin Islands, a US possession in the Caribbean Sea east of Puerto Rico, which Obama won with 89 percent support, US media reported.

A tally by independent pollsters RealClearPolitics late Saturday put Clinton only marginally ahead in the delegate count, with 1,112 to Obama's 1,096.

A national Newsweek poll out Friday had Obama overtaking Clinton's once-commanding lead for the first time, with 42 percent to 41.

Obama late Saturday claimed as his own the Democratic Party's crown for the November polls.

"The Republicans in Washington are already running on the politics of yesterday which is why your party must be the party of tomorrow and that is the party I intend to lead as president of the United States of America," he said to deafening cheers.

Obama appears poised for victory in Virginia and Maryland, in part due to the large number of African-American voters.

Virginia Governor Tim Kaine said he endorsed Obama because "he is a unifier in times of bitter division. He is an agent of change at a time when our nation needs change."

Pete Crane, a Washington state caucus-goer for more than 30 years, said the turnout at a caucus in Bremerton was "by far" the biggest crowd he had seen.

"It was an incredible crowd, probably three times what it was four years ago," Crane told AFP. The precinct went 32 to 12 to Obama.

“I believe John McCain is a good man and a genuine American hero, and we honor his half century of service to this nation. But understand in this campaign, in this year, he has made the decision to embrace the failed policies of George Bush’s Washington,” Obama said.

And continuing to talk more and more like a frontrunner, Obama outlined the differences between himself and McCain. “It’s a choice between debating John McCain about who has the most experience in Washington, or debating him about who’s more likely to change Washington. Because that’s a debate we can win.”

America needs a Democrat in the White House, Obama said. “We need to win. America needs us to win. Virginia Democrats know how important this is.”

Following his speech, the Obama campaign sent out emails to reporters, claiming to have a 72 pledged delegate lead over Clinton after today’s wins. And, they say, the Obama campaign has raised “well more” than the Clinton camp this month from more donors, although they did not put out a specific number to match Clinton’s $10 million since February 5th.

We are all capable of being force-fed the US preselection nonsense from normal MSM sources.

:sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:

Wake me up when we can have a go at Crash Gordon.

Obama Defeats Clinton in Maine Caucuses

Obama won 15 of Maine's delegates. Clinton won 9.

In the overall race for the nomination:

Clinton leads with 1,136
Obama has 1,108.

Colin Johnson, an Obama supporter in Portland, said the Illinois senator is not a typical politician. "I'm convinced he's a once-in-a-generation leader," he said.

"He's young and energetic and Washington and the White House could benefit from some fresh air," said Joe Lewis, another Obama supporter.

Will Barack make a clean sweep in Maine tomorrow?

This is an example of the devious part of politics that needs eliminating:

Hillary spoke highly of former Senator John Edwards, who dropped out of the race before the Super Tuesday primaries and who was relatively popular here. Both she and Mr. Obama are vying for his supporters.

“I want to compliment Senator Edwards, who is a fighter,” she said. “There is a lot that John and I have in common. And I intend to ask John Edwards to be a part of anything I do.”

A campaign spokeswoman said later that Mrs. Clinton was not necessarily saying she would pick him as her running mate.

Hillary threw the dog a bone but he knew it was plastic:

On Sunday, Sen. John Kerry of Massachusetts visited Maine caucuses on Obama's behalf.

I still think JK will make a wonderful running mate for BO!

We are all capable of being force-fed the US preselection nonsense from normal MSM sources.

:sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:

Wake me up when we can have a go at Crash Gordon.

How can you sleep at one of the most pivotal times of this planet's history!?

Don't you know how life will change for the better with the leadership of this man?

It is imperative that the momentum continues.
It is imperative that Barack wins the nomination.
It is imperative that he cleans up the mess made of the US and the world over the past seven years.

Yes. He. Can.

yep, most of us are going for him, but you might wanna steady on a bit.
im interested in what you and others say, not so much what some political hack from the states says. its february. early days. mcain v obama. mcain hamstrung by the bush legacy (dead and broke americans), and a divided party. obama will get 4 in 5 yanks scrambling to the polls in nov.

the world does indeed need him to win, and he shall.

It is imperative that he cleans up the mess made of the US and the world over the past seven years.

Yes. He. Can.
LOL
you should be going for his 2IC doris ;)

Reminds me - we have "Clean UP Australia Day" coming up .... (Ian Kiernan) - (Yes. He. Can. Also!!)
After which we give him a tika tape parade . :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_Up_Australia

Clean Up Australia Day, which is held annually on the first weekend of March, began in 1989 with a clean up of Sydney Harbour in which 40,000 people participated.

How can you sleep at one of the most pivotal times of this planet's history!?
a/ As a non US citizen (Thank the Lord above) I don't have a vote and no hand in influencing the proceedings

b/ Every presidential candidate since the Revolution has said spouted the same sort of nonsense.

Don't you know how life will change for the better with the leadership of this man?
No. Explain this to me.

It is imperative that the momentum continues.
Why?

It is imperative that Barack wins the nomination.
Why?

Agree, but it goes back more than seven years and.... IF he had the personal wherewithal to achieve what his rhetoric has alluded to he still hasn't said how he'll go about achieving all this or how he will defeat those that want no change, and how he will avoid grassy knolls.

Yes. He. Can.
What? That is the question; can do WHAT?

If he becomes El Presidente, Godspeed to him. I hope he can do something positive. But all I have heard so far is rhetoric.

But all I have heard so far is rhetoric.

Thats all i ever hear from any politician. They are all the same ultimately.

Or if not, the style of politics/decision making/slow progress etc etc will make them the same fairly quickly, as nothing can be achieved realistically

Thats all i ever hear from any politician. They are all the same ultimately.

Or if not, the style of politics/decision making/slow progress etc etc will make them the same fairly quickly, as nothing can be achieved realistically
'zactley. :cool:

Postscript: Whoever gets the Democratic nomination, I hope he/she kicks McCain's @ss. :)

What? That is the question; can do WHAT?

If he becomes El Presidente, Godspeed to him. I hope he can do something positive. But all I have heard so far is rhetoric.
well Wayne,
when you've seen as many episodes of "24" as I have -
(and they're coming up 24-7 ;) that's episode 7 of 24 btw)
you'll know that the Black Presidents are always good guys
and the White presidents are always bad guys. :eek:

But seriously, I think "24" will have helped Obama's cause (call it subliminal ) :- :2twocents

Logan:- "David Palmer was so popular, I was just a bridge to achieve that" ...

24: President Logan is back!

24. President David Palmer Comedy Dub

Attachments

• logan.jpg
    logan.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 89
  • palmer.jpg
    palmer.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 102