Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Australian Open 2008

2009 Aust Open has started.

Federer cruised through his first round.

Casey Dellacqua lost, although she had her chances. At the risk of being a b@stard is it just me or does she look extremely unfit atm?

Dokic & Tomic are also both through to the next round.

Yeh, not much talk of it this year nomore. Good bump. Since the markets are sh*t, I spend half my days watching the Cricket or Tennis, so will be following them closely this year.

This year, I've got Nadal. He has been developing finely and I think last year he really hit his stride. This year, he looks just as dominating, and looks to be improving all the time, adding new elements to his game.

Murray is another form guy, Tsonga finished last year in good form and you can never write off the Fed express. Djok has been in terrible form lately, so hopefully he takes a beating by one of the other big seeds (if he even makes it to them).

My first time at the open and I spent 4 days and 4 nights at the tennis with some really good seats in the first couple of rows @ Rod Laver. Also it was good to go on the outer courts as quite often the games there were more exciting (never missed any of Federer's though).

Reasonably priced I thought compared to some other sports. $30 for a ground pass to get you up to 5 matches on the outer courts. The only thing -ve was the heat on the first couple of days. Had 40 degrees in Rod Laver and 65 degrees in the outer courts with the reflection from the cement. Some of our group went down with heat stroke after the first day.

I love the tennis, and don't know why I didn't do this earlier in life. Will do it again before I die that's for sure.

I did not read whole thread so excuse me if subject of line calls and challenges covered already.

I am bit sarcastic of incorrect line calls and such an art form developed to prevent players to get correct line call which they should have to get in a first place.

Also it is bit ridiculous to show computer created image of possible ball trajectory and 2 or 3 balls long shadows when they show images of almost single muscle flex of players from high resolution and high speed camera.

3 incorrect challenge calls per set is a joke too, who organisers of the Grand Slam are kidding?
They have at least moral obligation to give correct call.

I know down the track that inefficient line callers can be successfully replaced with eagle cameras and revision can be made by high speed computer too, so delay could be minimal, like in case of net call which is fully automatic in Melbourne anyway.

Nothing to worry about, matter of time.

My first time at the open and I spent 4 days and 4 nights at the tennis with some really good seats in the first couple of rows @ Rod Laver.

I love the tennis, and don't know why I didn't do this earlier in life. Will do it again before I die that's for sure.

It is so refreshing to read about people enjoying life.

How good is tonights game going to be!

Can our Jelena Dokic do it again?

Cant wait to hear from her dad if she does:eek:

How good is tonights game going to be!

Can our Jelena Dokic do it again?

Cant wait to hear from her dad if she does:eek:

Wow what a match. Dokic sure is a fighter and her change in attitude is amazing, maybe Hewitt should take note of what a humble tennis player acts like.

That would have to be one of the best womens tennis matches I've ever seen, the Russian girl gave it her all as well.

Hope Dokic can keep it going against Safina in the quarter final, could be another good match.

Wow what a match. Dokic sure is a fighter and her change in attitude is amazing, maybe Hewitt should take note of what a humble tennis player acts like.

That would have to be one of the best womens tennis matches I've ever seen, the Russian girl gave it her all as well.

Hope Dokic can keep it going against Safina in the quarter final, could be another good match.

Great game? You betcha!

You could read her like a book. Such focus on 'the moment', letting any mistake slide off into the past. Tired from her previous three matches but put all her energy into the present strategy. She was so inspiring... 3 hours! Whew!

I wonder if her father's threat to come watch her if she got into the semis will disturb her.
Maybe (?) she will play even harder, to show him her success 'after him'.

You sure have to love the brothers! What a team.

I wonder if her father's threat to come watch her if she got into the semis will disturb her.
Maybe (?) she will play even harder, to show him her success 'after him'.

If he does come out to again ride on the back of his daughters success hopefully Tennis Aust don't let him in to watch the game, last thing she would need is the distraction during a semi or final.

:banghead::banghead: I didnt realise this was an oldie and could not work out why the later posts were dated 27th January!

Ok, the only interest for me now is Jelena Dokic, although if the woman whom she played last night could get fit - my god she will be the next powerhouse in womens tennis. That twist of Dokic's ankle looked pretty grim though - they kept replaying it just to make the crowd groan again :D

Great to see her rise up from her poisonous father. Boy, are there some stories about him floating around in sporting circles. Thought it was great to see both Jelena, and her boyfriend (maybe coach, not sure which is which) with tears in their eyes when she won. What a story if she could just keep it happening.

If he does come out to again ride on the back of his daughters success hopefully Tennis Aust don't let him in to watch the game, last thing she would need is the distraction during a semi or final.

You can bet the scumbag Aussie media have him all lined up with air tickets and exclusive interview deals. Great story to see that idot ruin everything for his daughter, will attract a lot of viewers for Today Tonight or the other one.
It's in the public interest !!! Lower than a snakes belly the lot of them.

On another note they shouldn't play games in the afternoon when the sun is at awkward angles, very off putting for the players andthe audience.

Either shut the roof or play between certain hours only - no I don't give a stuff about their rules use some common sense !

You can bet the scumbag Aussie media have him all lined up with air tickets and exclusive interview deals. Great story to see that idot ruin everything for his daughter, will attract a lot of viewers for Today Tonight or the other one. It's in the public interest !!! Lower than a snakes belly the lot of them

True, maybe immigration wont give him a Visa, he is no longer an Australian citizen, is he.
On another note they shouldn't play games in the afternoon when the sun is at awkward angles, very off putting for the players and the audience. Either shut the roof or play between certain hours only - no I don't give a stuff about their rules use some common sense !

Yeah, but their pay packet more than compensates for the inconvenience though.

What's with all the Dokic mania. Some of these mens matches are writing history! What a golden era for them ATM!

What's with all the Dokic mania. Some of these mens matches are writing history! What a golden era for them ATM!

Are the mens matches writing history? How so? :confused: And it isn't Dokic mania, but the unfolding of a story of a young girl who has broken out from an abusive father as an adult to great success. But maybe that is too much chick-stuff for you lot :p:

How about Fed going for the record of Sampras and Nadal a boy who could come along and wipe all that away? A true battle between tennis legends, with some great other young guns in there who could make life tough for them both.

Good on Dokic, just surprised her story is getting more attention here than some legitimate FANTASTIC tennis legends in fine form.

How about Fed going for the record of Sampras and Nadal a boy who could come along and wipe all that away? A true battle between tennis legends, with some great other young guns in there who could make life tough for them both.
Good on Dokic, just surprised her story is getting more attention here than some legitimate FANTASTIC tennis legends in fine form.

Thats the media charged with the reposnsibility of dumbing down Australia and doing a damn good job of it.

I saw an item a few days ago where he was interviewed, saying he may sell his $2 million business and open tennis coaching schools! Did he earn that much as her coach or did he keep all her earnings as her manager/guardian?

MRC & Co, Human interest is natural, to see what makes these awesome athletes tick.

Prospector... the thinner young man is her coach. His brother is her boyfriend.

As a proud parent of four successful adult children I'm reminded not to hang onto their coat tails!
My life is my life!

I saw an item a few days ago where he was interviewed, saying he may sell his $2 million business and open tennis coaching schools! Did he earn that much as her coach or did he keep all her earnings as her manager/guardian?

I think he earned that in his well known business -

The Damir Dokic school of international diplomacy, intellectual think tank and Yugoslavian sausage making factory.

All combined within the one building strangely enough.

His most famous quote -

I'm Yugoslavian, when I wake up in the morning I'm so angry I want to kill myself so killing you is no problem.

Well, Nadal isn't exactly a boy anymore, he is Number 1 seed. Yet you call him a legend too? And Federer will not break Sampras record, he will only equal it, which means no writing history (ie record breaking) to be done this year!

So, you are suggesting that Dokic's efforts are not legitimate then? Nor fantastic?

Having said that, women's tennis does appear to be in the doldrums at the moment, and even though they earn the same prize money, they dont have to play five sets, nor the last match of the night. On the other hand, watching five sets of womens tennis might be just enough to kill any popularity! As for the grunting and screaming....