Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Australian Open 2008

As for the grunting and screaming....

have you heard John McEnroe grunt i believe it went something like this .hahoooovaaaaaahaaaah. which actually got worse as he got close to retirement.

then there's Seles which was like this HAeeeeeeeee.....HAeeeeeee.........HAeeeeeeee!

Tennis and Cricket, two boring sports clogging up channel 7 and 9, all summer long. Sportheads should get their own channel deicated to 24/7 sport and clear the airwaves for normal TV to resume. Summer TV sucks:banghead:

Thank god Andy Murray's been knocked out!

The press over here love him! I'm so sick of hearing him referred to as "British Number 1 Andy Murray" - number 1 Brit maybe (poor Tim Henman), but certainly not number 1.

Not in the same class as Federer or Nadal, as far as tennis OR personality goes.

Long may he suck!

Thank god Andy Murray's been knocked out!

The press over here love him! I'm so sick of hearing him referred to as "British Number 1 Andy Murray" - number 1 Brit maybe (poor Tim Henman), but certainly not number 1.

Not in the same class as Federer or Nadal, as far as tennis OR personality goes.

Long may he suck!

We can aways hope that Scotland secedes. We could get rid of a lot of undesirables. :)

I love it how they call Andy Murray a Brit when he's winning and a Scot when he loses.

I love it how they call Andy Murray a Brit when he's winning and a Scot when he loses.
Probably the opposite to his own feelings... A Jock when he wins and a Brit when he loses. :D

Either way, when he speaks he sounds like a Yank to me. :confused:

Well, Nadal isn't exactly a boy anymore, he is Number 1 seed. Yet you call him a legend too? And Federer will not break Sampras record, he will only equal it, which means no writing history (ie record breaking) to be done this year!

So, you are suggesting that Dokic's efforts are not legitimate then? Nor fantastic?

Having said that, women's tennis does appear to be in the doldrums at the moment....

Do you seriously want me to answer that diatribe?

The point is, we have two legendary tennis players, in some of their best form, whereby both could beat the record of Sampras when all said and done. It is a true golden era of mens tennis, brilliant to watch and should be truly appreciated. You don't get to watch tennis like that very often.

The tournament is about tennis, not sob stories. I bet plenty of those players out there have stories just as intriguing as Dokic.

Do you seriously want me to answer that diatribe?
I bet plenty of those players out there have stories just as intriguing as Dokic.

Ah, so your post about heroes and boys isn't a diatribe, but mine is?

Some of the best aspects of sport are the stories behind the scenes. After all, all they are doing is hitting a ball across the net; it is the story of their unique journey that is way more interesting.

Ah, so your post about heroes and boys isn't a diatribe, but mine is?

Some of the best aspects of sport are the stories behind the scenes. After all, all they are doing is hitting a ball across the net; it is the story of their unique journey that is way more interesting.

Nadal is a boy (who cares anyways, what is the point of debating about the definition of a boy?) to me, who started very very young at a very high level and has already won 5 slams, that is legend status in Tennis, he is only 3 shy of Agassi already. And I said going for the record, did I say break it? Again, pointless either way.

Your post was a bunch of pointless semantics.

I watch the tennis for the tennis, for stories, I watch documentaries. The only reason the Dokic story is being given so much credit, is because she is now an 'Aussie' again. They bood her as a young girl who really didn't know what was going on, now she is a national hero! :rolleyes: Gotta love the media and the sheeple! :banghead:

Anyways, lets get back to the Tennis, Murray lost, surprising! Personally, I don't rate him as highly as some, just doesn't overly impress me. Tsonga just beat Blake, pretty expected, think he will see Nadal in the semi. Djok V an in form Roddick, may be a close one, while will be interesting to see Fed play Potro, who is only 20 and already in the top 10, impressive! Haven't seen much of him, so will be great to see how he matches up against Fed.

Love the tennis every summer, grabs me more than the cricket or the footy.
Dunno why just does