Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Australian Open 2008

this man for the win:

_44090676_tsonga270.jpg

this lady for the win:

ivanovich0903.jpg

Anyone else watch the Tsonga-Nadal match last night?

It was breathtaking to see the World # 2 being completely physically dominated , man-handled, and systematically destroyed by some unbelievable tennis from Tsonga...what a player! If I was watching that knowing I was about to play him, I would be 'somewhat' concerned...

jman

I'm still hoping for R.Fed to win. He plays with much finesse, making tennis look easy. Unlike other players that just hammer the ball. It is just beautiful watching him play, it's like, the ball goes on slow motion when he strikes it. IMHO, I do not think that he is not playing his usual game, it's just that the younger blood are closing in on the gap... The younger players should learn from Federrer the way he controls himself on court.

IMHO, I do not think that he is not playing his usual game, it's just that the younger blood are closing in on the gap... .
Perhaps Federer's blood has gone off the boil?

or as Adam Lindsay Gordon would say ..

perhaps "the red blood has ceased to riot” ? ;)

Phenomenal game by Tsonga, I haven't seen Nadal being outclassed like that without at least one good fightback, ever.
The past couple of years when an 'outsider' managed to get to the finals (Gonzales, Bhagdatis), they played their best tennis in the semi-finals, but fell short in the finals. I hope Tsonga won't reflect too much on what happened and will come out blazing again in the finals.

As Djokovic said
the final between two young rising stars, who have beaten the #1 and #2 players in the world respectively ;)

must be the Australian "take down the tall poppy" positive thinking.

PS I wish they'd tell us if his name is "joke - ovich" or "jock-ovich" :2twocents

Cheapskate :D

So, your bet is an IOU of 0? :p:
I say this in jest! Of course :D

I find it all a bit too repetitive! I can't bare to watch over 2 hours of the stuff, darn Channel 7, plays it all day ... :cautious:
(Women's is a little more tolerable...)

When exactly is it over?

I am wondering why sports "stars" get more attention and money for playing a game than our scientists and engineers solving the problems of the world?

Well, I guess it's a simple matter of the importance of leisure, & entertainment.

We'd go mad if all we did was focus on the problems of the world, & life would be incredibly depressing if all we did was try & solve issues.

Never underestimate the importance of just enjoying yourself, we work to live, not the other way around! :D

Not to mention; you would be surprised at just how hard professional athletes work. They train very heavily on a daily basis, it's a life of sheer discipline. Why shouldn't they be paid well for always maintaining excellent physical, & mental fitness? They're also in the public eye, & the responsibility of being a role model is always difficult.

Scientists, & engineers are paid well though? Doctors can make 300K+ p/a.
Certain fields in engineering can pay very well too.

Basically, it's always difficult to 'price' what a person does. Does a scientist work that much harder than the laborer? I just think it's strange that we seem to believe that mental effort deserves so much more money than physical effort.

Well, I guess it's a simple matter of the importance of leisure, & entertainment.

We'd go mad if all we did was focus on the problems of the world, & life would be incredibly depressing if all we did was try & solve issues.

Never underestimate the importance of just enjoying yourself, we work to live, not the other way around! :D

Not to mention; you would be surprised at just how hard professional athletes work. They train very heavily on a daily basis, it's a life of sheer discipline. Why shouldn't they be paid well for always maintaining excellent physical, & mental fitness? They're also in the public eye, & the responsibility of being a role model is always difficult.

Scientists, & engineers are paid well though? Doctors can make 300K+ p/a.
Certain fields in engineering can pay very well too.

Basically, it's always difficult to 'price' what a person does. Does a scientist work that much harder than the laborer? I just think it's strange that we seem to believe that mental effort deserves so much more money than physical effort.

Not all sportsman get payed like these guys...very few do... and lots of scientists etc. get paid very well

whoo hoo Fed is out and gone (he was only winning on luck and Tipservic should've have wiped him clean)

hope screaming shara doesn't win and don't mind whether djokovic or tsonga win