Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Australian Open 2008

The way Federer played tonight.........I had my doubts before, but now, that 1.60 from Sportstab is looking easy money.

Still, short odds aren't really my go.

Had a bit on Serena Williams at $6.50 on the women's side of the open.

Casey Dellacqua through to the next round! :xyxthumbs

A.Mauresmo Rod Laver Arena 6 4 4
C.Dellacqua Complete 3 6 6

Casey Dellacqua through to the next round! :xyxthumbs

A.Mauresmo Rod Laver Arena 6 4 4
C.Dellacqua Complete 3 6 6

My betting luck is roughly the same as my share market luck so far this year... but then, I probably deserved it for betting against an Aussie. :banghead:

the missus tells me that the umpiring at the tennis is a bit dodgey. Roddick being uncharacteristically abusive, eventually breaking off the discussion with the umpire, and yelling at the crowd "dont go to school kids - you'll find that you'll be overqualified to be a tennis umpire" :eek:

A few points about umpiring and tennis rules and the use of the 3 challenges per set, ...

1. One tough decision being the alleged "code violation" against Jelena Jankovic (spelling?) when she simply looked up at her mum. - the umpire accused her of receiving coaching from her mum - and all she was doing was cheering "c'mon"

and her mum isn't even her coach ??

- meanwhile the girl at the other end , Rozano (?) arguably getting all sorts of strange signals from her coach.

2. when they appeal, they have to be right or they've blown one of their "lives". Now suppose a set goes for 12 games, then 3 (incorrect) challenges is one per 4 games. (doh) - think I'm right lol - guess I'm a "doh doh" if I'm not ;).

Now it seems that many players look up to their coaches for an indication on whether it's worth appealing - i.e. for a second opinion - and it seems that that is ok ? no biggie for mine - maybe that's ok by the rules as well (?) (I'm not well enough up on the rules.)

3. THe fact that they often reserve their challenges for crucial points - eg set points, break points etc -

i.e. server rarely challenges a first-serve-called-out for instance - because they have the second life of another serve in any case , ,,, etc

just thought "challenges" were a great addition to the game - adding to the decision making and the mental stuff they were dealing with. :2twocents

who's your fav?

they should do something like this for the aussie open...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPh3JCy_l8s

I've got some inside goss that Davydenko will win.

He doesn't bet against himself, he hedges! It's a bear put spread! Davydenko, the low risk tennis player. In fact, he may be the new Citi CEO. Lots of access to Russian capital.

Seriously... I can't see anyone beating Federer though. If he wants to win, he will.

I'm seeing the two legs of the female semis during the week. Should be fun, never been before. The courts look very bright, and the faster courts definitely are leading to better tennis IMO. Am actually enjoying watching the OZ open for the first time in many years...

Seriously... I can't see anyone beating Federer though. If he wants to win, he will.

I thoughts Feds looked a bit down , he wasn't himself of late , problems , .....? physical ... woman ? sick of it all ?

I like him , so too Maccas and our Pat . .... nearly forgot , LFM ....... AaaaGaaaasiiiiii tops , absolute top bloke and player , brill tactical .

that was a close one for Fed

R.Federer 6 7 5 6 10
J.Tipsarevic 7 6 7 1 8

more show of emotion on this game... maybe he needed to be challenged?

Tsonga whipped Nadal ! :confused:
like 49th seed vs 2nd.

well I don't care who wins out of Federer or Djokovic, the final will be a great game to watch.

This bloke Tsonga is bludy fantastic !

They're calling him the new Mohd Ali ;)

But he doesn't say things like "I am the greatest!"

- he's more likely to say "'ee 'as two Harms and two legs, so do I, why not I can beat him?"

Tsonga rolls Nadal to reach Open final
Posted 1 hour 8 minutes ago
Updated 31 minutes ago

Frenchman Jo-Wilfried Tsonga blasted world number Rafael Nadal off the court in a whirlwind straight sets victory at Melbourne Park on Thursday evening to reach his first Australian Open final.

Attachments

• Tsonga.jpg
    Tsonga.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 185
where in the world did Tsonga come from? :confused: His game against Rafa was unbelievable!

AO tennis has been one of the best so far...

I am wondering why sports "stars" get more attention and money for playing a game than our scientists and engineers solving the problems of the world?

I like Ana. :1luvu:

And she can play tennis too! :)

I am wondering why sports "stars" get more attention and money for playing a game than our scientists and engineers solving the problems of the world?

When they look like this, why do you wonder!? :D

Attachments

• b_aivanovic_0123_06.jpg
    b_aivanovic_0123_06.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 187
This might be an early call but I'm going to say it....

Tsonga will be the next number one.

His combination of strength, finess, power and accuracy seems to be unmatchable to any other player in the world. The way he took apart Nadal tonight was unbelievable... and he's the world number 2!!!

Whoever he plays in the final will have their metal really tested.

Look out.

I like Ana. :1luvu:

And she can play tennis too! :)

When they look like this, why do you wonder!? :D
tell the truth whiskers - you just like all those noises she makes lol

rja - spot on - that final is gonna be a beauty (assuming he plays like he did tonight in the semi)

A few points about umpiring and tennis rules and the use of the 3 challenges per set, ...
The challenge thing is a bit odd, doesn't seem to be properly thought out.

I was at the Ivanovic game yesterday (yeah, I'm bragging!) where she complained about an 'in' call that happened during a rally, she was told she couldn't challenge a call from a few shots ago. Later in the game she stopped a rally to again challenge an 'in' call, she was wrong but they replayed the point anyway... :cautious:

Doesn't seem fair, but I don't really mind 'cos she won! :D