Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

ASF spelling and grammar lessons

I agree that "less than" sounds clumsy, but is it technically an error? I always thought the two were interchangeable.

Attachments

• letter.jpg
    letter.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 158
  • esperanza.jpg
    esperanza.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 151
lol,
speaking of encouraging kids rather than "reading them the fine print" ....

my eldest came home from kindy (or 1st year whatever...

he had written a story ... "the piret got his big sord and stabd the bady" (something like that anyway - most of his stories involved pirates and baddies ;))
Anyway lol - As carefully as possible I said " great, m8, :eek: but, well, piret should be "pirate" yes? ..."
he quickly interrupted "that's it dad!, I'm not gonna show you my 'tories if you're gonna be like that!" ;)

only one of these s probably right ....

If you look at the moon tonight, you'll see a small sliver of "new moon"
let's say it is one fifteenth of the full circle of the moon. Behind that there are one fifteenth of 15 million billion stars, or 1 million billion stars.

If you look at the moon tonight, you'll see a small sliver of "new moon"
let's say it is one fifteenth of the full circle of the moon. Behind that there is one fifteenth of 15 million billion stars, or 1 million billion stars. :rolleyes:

What actually ****s me the most is the Americanisation of the English language.

And i also take exception to the remark that under 30s have poorer spelling :p:

Being a former teacher, the push at the schools I taught at was to return to the ABC system, stuff the outcomes crap. The kid's self esteem will be better off being challenged in a supportive environment, like a school, rather than in the work force.

Text messaging is partially to blame, but you only have 150 characters to get your message across in one message, or you have to spent an extra 25c (or whatever) for all those apostrophies (sp?). It's not laziness, it's being frugal haha. Let's blame Telstra!!!!

Text messaging is partially to blame, but you only have 150 characters to get your message across in one message, or you have to spent an extra 25c (or whatever) for all those apostrophies (sp?). It's not laziness, it's being frugal haha. Let's blame Telstra!!!!
BOCTAAE

CMIW
@TEOTD PICNIC

SSEWBA
DBEYR
CRTLA
CNP

(FYE)

What actually ****s me the most is the Americanisation of the English language.

And i also take exception to the remark that under 30s have poorer spelling

Being a former teacher, the push at the schools I taught at was to return to the ABC system, stuff the outcomes crap. The kid's self esteem will be better off being challenged in a supportive environment, like a school, rather than in the work force.

it is not the fault of the teachers , that the youngsters are lousy at spelling
its the fact that us modern creatares, are more into texting and telling
there're not being lazy just frugal, (though they're 24/7 on the phone) ;)
blame the "backwardly mobile" and google, but leave the teachers alone

at least we don't have stuffed up sinuses, as the germans with "die der and das'es"
you'll find a million minusus, but you're pushing to find any plus'es
Perhaps when germans give sexes to nouns, they feel that it sounds intellectual
ahh - we follow the BRITISH gentry around ! - and they make all their nouns tri sexual . :eek:

while I'm at it I used to know a bloke who could communicate for hours in German - with germans . he had a massive German vocab. He explained to me once , he could care less about the "die der or das" part. Apart from the fact that he made all the Germans in the room smile when he told a story - mainly at his incorrect sex of words - he could get the storyacross as well as the next german. : 2twocents

As for the Amicanisation of Australian English? - it's all going to program mate , lol - I think - but you'd better check with Johnny and George. ( or is that programme ? ) ;)

PS If you give a paper these days - engineering in my case - my last paper for instance was on "the life and times of a cast iron nut" , - ;) - but they tell you to use "program" in preference to "programme"
I almost took it up with my MP lol - whatever (I could care less really- let me rephrase that
- let em do their thing, just as long as we keep our autonomy ).
I have a heap of American friends - but , like we both would toast over a beer...

-whether discussing wine women song or spelling or grammatical exactness lol) .... .

:bier: VIVE LE DIFFERENCE
"Vive la difference" whatever.

Discussion here: http://www.translationdirectory.com/article853.htm

Dotted around the forum is this phrase:

Gods' speed (which implies several Gods, otherwise it should be God's)

However it's actually "godspeed"

Thanks WayneL. An interesting read - I didn't even know there was debate between the two! I suppose I do vary how I use the two though, so perhaps I am subconsciously aware of this rule and apply it without being aware that I am making a choice between the two.

Re. The God thing ... The two words have different meanings.

God's speed is a reference to God moving quickly. It is a measure of time. For example "God's speed was 12km over the legal limit".

Gods' speed would suggest that a speed measurement had been taken for a group of Gods (either as a team in a running race, or perhaps as an average derived from individual scores).

Godspeed is something you would say when you are wishing someone safety and good fortune on their journey.

I hope someone wishes me Godspeed this morning. I am going grocery shopping and Coles is a battleground on a Saturday morning!

This is only relevant to thread if I repeat that we should be proud of our language - and be tolerant of the Yanks I guess, lol
The more they appear different to us - the better it will be for us, !!! lol

That goes for our wine too.
I have a magic friend (and his wife - she's a friend too lol) - American, still living there - getting on now - aren't we all - who might even read this one day lol - and his favourite saying was " in life, drink the best wine first" :eek:

http://mybluetooth.blogspot.com/2006/11/bordeaux-or-merlot-viva-le-difference.html

VIVE LE DIFFERENCE to our wine
VIVE LE DIFFERENCE to pizzazz
and to "co-education" till we're 90! ;)
and to Bordeaux or Merlot and Shiraz

forget what the wine ad says
"drink good wine !! - or die of thirst !!" :confused:
praps I'll keep the bad wine for "bad days"
but ...
I'll drink the best wine first.

Let's toast to a wine to behold en
to a life on earth unrehearsed..:alcohol:
Yes a wise man and friend once told me
"son, drink the best wine first". :2twocents

Attachments

• wine ad.jpg
    wine ad.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 165
God's speed is a reference to God moving quickly. It is a measure of time. For example "God's speed was 12km over the legal limit".

lol - love it hahahhhaaaheeehaa
so who was holding the radar ? lol

I think your second application "godspeed" was the more normal usage, lol - but I'm sure that was the point you were making - just that it's humourous to say it dryly :2twocents
(humorous as the Yanks would say - lo - There's room enough for us all to enjoy "American humor" - as well as "Australian humour", surely

It's like...
sometimes you have to get the meaning of a sentence, not from the punctuation, which might infact be incorect, but from the logic of the words used.

for instance..
"I'm going to go see my brother about arranging our dad's funeral. And after I see him, I'm going to go and bury his old clothes"
if you get my ghist

Anyway lol - As carefully as possible I said " great, m8, :eek: but, well, piret should be "pirate" yes? ..."
he quickly interrupted "that's it dad!, I'm not gonna show you my 'tories if you're gonna be like that!" ;)

My almost 18 year old says the same kind of thing! :D (not about spelling though, thankgoodness) - or should that be Thank God!

CMH - God for a husband? lol - good for you girl.
and Prospector - my teenagers tell me stories too - lol - like where they spent last night for instance ;)

BTW (skip this bit if you're easily bored), if I accidentally call any ladies "mate" - usually because nicknames like "CMH" and "Prospector" don't give away any sex - hang on - start again...
I mean don't identify conclusively male or female
(although Prospector, your avatar is a pretty good clue lol)
then ... getting back to what I was trying to say -
I apologise.

Just pretend I'm one of those blokes who is brave enough to call a girl "mate" to her face - lol - and I can only do that with a beer or two on board. I'm more likely to call a girl "sweetheart" - (in the plutonic sense) :eek: - ok who cares what I call ladies lol -

btw, back to your husband claiming to be God , CMH,

see if he sets off a radar? - gotta feeling if God can walk through walls, he would be immune from radar detection yes?

Lol - reminds me
speaking of sentences that can come out wrong
lady Speaker of the House ( federal as I recall, might have been NSW, whatever) a few years back

someone referred to her as "Sir" or something - then started to apologise - should have been Madam etc

and she replied
"that's ok - I don't have any sex in this position!"

lol - brought the house down !! they were still laughing when they rose for recess 3 days later (having done their usual 3 day's work) :D

I agree that "less than" sounds clumsy, but is it technically an error? I always thought the two were interchangeable.

Subsequently clarified by link posted by Wayne - thanks, Wayne for that.
In the example from the Whittaker Bulletin the word 'members' made it pretty clear that 'fewer' would apply.

They're know miss steaks in this cause we used special soft wear witch checks yore spelling. It is mower or lass a weigh too verify. How ever is can knot correct arrows inn punctuation ore usage:an it will not fined words witch are miss used butt spelled rite. Four example; a paragraph could have mini flaws but wood bee past by the spell checker. And it wont catch the sentence fragment which you. Their fore, the massage is that proofreading is knot eliminated, it is still berry muck reek wired.

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rarely ever wrong.