Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

ASF spelling and grammar lessons

BTW (skip this bit if you're easily bored), if I accidentally call any ladies "mate" - usually because nicknames like "CMH" and "Prospector" don't give away any sex - hang on - start again...
I mean don't identify conclusively male or female
(although Prospector, your avatar is a pretty good clue lol)
then ... getting back to what I was trying to say -
I apologise.

Just pretend I'm one of those blokes who is brave enough to call a girl "mate" to her face - lol - and I can only do that with a beer or two on board. I'm more likely to call a girl "sweetheart" - (in the plutonic sense) :eek: - ok who cares what I call ladies lol
speaking of finding a female version of the word "mate" - giving an aussie girl / lady a friendly "generalised nickname" in a group or 1-on-1 conversation , "shiela" is a bit errr - rural lol

of course "mate" is still used by some, irrespective of gender of the addressee - heck, there's a bloke down at the pub "mates" with ladies all the time - even in public - like even standing at the bar.! ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_English_vocabulary Australian English and several British English dialects (eg. Cockney; Scouse; Geordie) use the word mate to mean a close friend of the same gender (or sometimes a platonic friend of the opposite sex), rather than the conventional meaning of "a spouse", although this usage has also become common in some other varieties of English.

The origins of other terms are not as clear, or are disputed. Dinkum or fair dinkum means "true", "the truth", "speaking the truth", and related meanings, depending on context and inflection. It is often claimed that dinkum was derived from the Cantonese (or Hokkien) ding kam, meaning "top gold", during the Australian goldrushes of the 1850s. This, however, is chronologically improbable since dinkum is first recorded in the 1890s. Scholars give greater credence to the notion that it originated with a now-extinct dialect word from the East Midlands in England, where dinkum (or dincum) meant "hard work" or "fair work", which was also the original meaning in Australian English.[1] The derivation dinky-di means a 'true' or devoted Australian. The words dinkum or dinky-di and phrases like true blue are widely purported to be typical Australian sayings, however these sayings are more commonly used in jest or parody rather than as an authentic way of speaking.

Similarly, g'day, a stereotypical Australian greeting, is no longer synonymous with "good day" in other varieties of English (it can be used at night time) and is never used as an expression for "farewell", as "good day" is in other countries.

maybe blokes are "true blue dinky-di mates" , whereas girls are ??
"true pink dinky-di mates" ?? :confused:

Should a preposition be used at the end of a paragraph?
noi ;)
I believe I heard Jo once remark that
"these sorts of questions are the sorts of questions up with which I will not put."

howdy 123-
SPELLCHECKER ! bludy spell checker - sheesh -
I sent a business letter a year or so back - important client
was trying to say that "in the event of the value having to be negotiated, I believe that we should be able to amicably agree to something "pro-rata-ed".

I sent the letter on without realising that spellchecker had changed it to "procreated" :eek:

Should a preposition be used at the end of a paragraph?

It depends what the sentence is about.
In some sentences prepositions are absent.
Although one ended the sentence above.
I don't know what that's due to.
Maybe there are other conventions they are in accordance with.

noi ;)
I believe I heard Jo once remark that
"these sorts of questions are the sorts of questions up with which I will not put."

Hi again 2020, I did say preposition and not proposition. I noticed Winston Churchill got very upset when they were used at the end of a paragraph.

cuttlefish

I knew I shouldn't have opened this thread ... there's 15 minutes of my life I'll never get back.:rolleyes: Though on the upside if ever the republicans get their way at least I'll know the correct way to refer to my fellow people :D

if he sets off a radar? - gotta feeling if God can walk through walls, he would be immune from radar detection yes?

One would think so wouldn't one.

Fine print ... he thinks he is God. Little does he realise that God is actually a woman, and he is married to her! Hehe :D

The title suggests lessons in spelling and grammar

The former changes gradually over time. I used have a problem with american spelling but no longer do. Or do no longer, than I did. The uneducated, those unfortunate enough to not have access to good schooling or those unable to master through some inherited language disorder such as dyslexia, help drive these changes.

Humungus , I believe is now a recognised word, which developed in the 70's and 80's by those with "poor" language appreciation, or perhaps "good", depending on how puritan one is. Another that comes to mind is "hypo" , as in he had some ice and went hypo, or my son has adhd and goes hypo. This was a transfixion of the word "hyper" which to the uncouth ear sounded the same.

I use the word uncouth as being the opposite of couth which has died out in the UK but is still used by older Queenslanders, to mean proper and correct.

Good grammar is a skill acquired usually through dedicated teaching of that discipline.

English is such a beautiful language with so many nuances in each sentence, phrase and word, that change is inevitable.

Change is good, it can be grating, but its good and natural and normal, and is what makes English, with all respects to Kev07 such a masterful tongue.

Garpal

Garpal
No fewer than Five errors, Julia!
Both spelling and grammar.
Do take care.

ps. very soon there will be more English speakers in China than in any other nation, so your respects (sic) for Kev07 (can I assume you are referring to him speaking a Chinese dialect) is noted

Any particular reason you have asked this question re a paragraph and not just a sentence?

Hi, Because, Winston Churchill was known to blow his top when someone put a preposition at the end of a paragraph. Unfortunately, he didn't say why.

I believe a preposition may and in some case must, be used at the end of an informal sentence, however, never at the end of a formal sentence or in a formal letter.

Winston Churchill:-
please explain in 10 words or fewer
with what you’d tackle this conundrum
It’s important your English be pure
you must look at your words and wonder em.

The Transition Period :-
please explain in 10 words or a few less
what you’d tackle this conundrum with
and one cluemore:- don’t you be clueless
and just don’t go taking the pith

Modern Reality:-
please explain in 10 words or less
what you’d tackle this conundrum with
I could care less if you are careless
perfect English is an urban myth

GEORGE W BUSH (after a closed conference meeting with Pauline H):-
please explain in 10 words or whatever with
now what was my name again
what we’ll win this noble endeavour with
if you work out how – please please explain

I believe a preposition may and in some case must, be used at the end of an informal sentence.
noi...
I believe a preposition may, and in some cases must, be used at the end of an informal sentence
I believe a preposition may, and in one case must, be used at the end of an informal sentence

I believe a preposition may, and in occasional cases must, be used at the end of an informal sentence
I believe a preposition may, and in that rare occasional case must, be used at the end of an informal sentence (??)

hell where does it end this stuff lol

(PS you were probably right XXX correct
above, and I'm probly
wrong XXX incorrect to
correct XXX right
you - do I look worried ?

and / or XX nor you?
and nor should we be worried ;))

noi, I agree with the introduction of the classification "formal" and "informal" sentences / English btw.

PS My wife used to do some proof checking of (for?) a magazine. She's more inclined to add a heap of commas and other punctuation (punctuations?) - I'm much slacker.

But with time the magazines have adopted a policy of fewer and fewer ( less and less?) commas in an article - If you read the average modern mag you'll see what I mean. :2twocents
personally I suspect it's all driven by a need to cram into those "column inches" etc

2020, wars have been fought on less, but never a preposition. So I send to you this explanation of a preposition in a form of a truce.
ripper I'll read that .
- am I allowed to read it in "no mans land"? (that stretch between the opposing trenches )?

- just the light is better there - and hence more enlightening ;)

what you’d tackle this conundrum with (preposition?)
with what you’d tackle this conundrum

the better to read with (preposition?)
the better to with read?
the better with which to read :confused:

and lik lik redpela hat tol long wilddog granma
"my what bigpela eyes, granma-belong-me"

den wilddog he tok sayim
"all the better with which to read", lik lik pikinini belong me
;)

This is my plea for those members who say "should of" rather than "should have" to please stop doing this. It's driving me nuts!
e.g. "He should of had the courage of his convictions."
Awful.