Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

American Politics

These are (some of) the Republicans who parroted Trumps election lies and got promoted for their efforts.

Quite True Baz, but you sidestepped the fact that democrats also lied through their teeth, ably supported by some in the MSM.
Both sides of US politics are just as guilty, but folks who support one side or the other only see the lies that support their case.
But then I guess that applies to most countries, except those ones like China or Russia where the state controls who lies the most.
Mick

Quite True Baz, but you sidestepped the fact that democrats also lied through their teeth, ably supported by some in the MSM.
Both sides of US politics are just as guilty, but folks who support one side or the other only see the lies that support their case.
But then I guess that applies to most countries, except those ones like China or Russia where the state controls who lies the most.
Mick

Mick that is just a really, really poor false equivalency. I'll agree that politicians on both sides have lied or been corrupt. However using this argument to somehow not outright condemn what Donald Trump has done to the US political system IMV simply accepts his behaviour.

What current Democrat lies or behaviour are so outrageous that they outweigh the impact that Trump has had on undermining trust in US electoral systems ?

There you are. Snopes agrees with you all.

Sort of fascinating really. The driving force behind this riot was the barrage of election lies made up by Trump to gee up his base and the millions of people who now parrot anything he says - because he says it. As far as I can tell the reality of Trumps repeated deliberate lying to undermine the electoral system in the US and set the stage for the Jan 6th events is still not acknowledged.

If it was he would not be in a position to even try and run for President again.

Anyway at least one of the lawyers he used to present his lies have had to fess up.

Donald Trump's former lawyer Jenna Ellis censured over claims 2020 election was 'fraudulent'

Posted 2h ago2 hours ago
View attachment 154149
Jenna Ellis has been formally censured by a judge after admitting she made repeated misstatements about the 2020 US election. (AP Photo: Jacquelyn Martin)
Help keep family & friends informed by sharing this article

Link copied
A high-profile member of former US president Donald Trump's legal team that challenged his 2020 election loss, agreed to be censured by a Colorado court after admitting to making false claims about voter fraud.

Key points:​

• Lawyer Jenna Ellis acknowledges making 10 "misrepresentations" about the 2020 election
  • Ms Ellis was regularly identified as a member of Mr Trump's post-election legal team
  • A group that files ethics complaints says a public censure is inadequate punishment

Under an agreement with Colorado attorney disciplinary officials released on Wednesday, lawyer Jenna Ellis acknowledged that she made 10 "misrepresentations" on television and Twitter about the 2020 election .
The misrepresentations included saying Mr Trump's legal team could "prove" the election was stolen and that the results were "fraudulent," according to the the state's presiding disciplinary judge, Bryon Large.
Ms Ellis and state officials agreed that the statements violated a Colorado rule against attorneys engaging in conduct "involving dishonesty, fraud, deceit or misrepresentation", the opinion by Judge Large said.

Slopes is as bad as the Guardian. I'm surprised they had that up there.

F alse equivalency? How the hell did you get to me somehow not outright condeming Trump?
The post was all about the false narrative that YOU bought up about Sicknick.
Bringing Trump into was your move, and now you demand I condemn him?
Mick

F alse equivalency? How the hell did you get to me somehow not outright condeming Trump?
The post was all about the false narrative that YOU bought up about Sicknick.
Bringing Trump into was your move, and now you demand I condemn him?
Mick
The story was about Tucker Carlson editing footage from Jan 6th and trying to portray the day as simply a stroll through the Capitol buildings which became a bit chaotic. He selectively edited out the crowd violence and the attacks on police. Officer Sicknick was one of the police officers attacked in the riot. (There were 140 officers injured during the day) He was injured, gassed and the next day suffered a fatal stroke. How about checking out a more complete picture. See below

Sicknicks family denounced Tucker Carlson because he denied the reality of Sicknicks attack. Why did I bring Trump in ?

Because the only reason 10,000 people were trying to storm the Capitol on Jan 6th was the repeated deliberate lies Trump made about the 2020 election. That is the whole core of the story.

I was objecting to your attempts to put Trumps election lies on the same level as some alleged Democratic lies. That's the false equivalency I was challenging.

You don't have to be Liberal, a democrat , a whatever to recognise that what Trump did was just utterly and totally evil and should be denounced as unacceptable. It should have been been denounced by the Republican Party but with only a few exceptions they have all fallen into line. I highlighted an article which pointed out the main characters who have profited from the lie.

The story was about Tucker Carlson editing footage from Jan 6th and trying to portray the day as simply a stroll through the Capitol buildings which became a bit chaotic. He selectively edited out the crowd violence and the attacks on police. Officer Sicknick was one of the police officers attacked in the riot. (There were 140 officers injured during the day) He was injured, gassed and the next day suffered a fatal stroke. How about checking out a more complete picture. See below

Sicknicks family denounced Tucker Carlson because he denied the reality of Sicknicks attack. Why did I bring Trump in ?

Because the only reason 10,000 people were trying to storm the Capitol on Jan 6th was the repeated deliberate lies Trump made about the 2020 election. That is the whole core of the story.

I was objecting to your attempts to put Trumps election lies on the same level as some alleged Democratic lies. That's the false equivalency I was challenging.

You don't have to be Liberal, a democrat , a whatever to recognise that what Trump did was just utterly and totally evil and should be denounced as unacceptable. It should have been been denounced by the Republican Party but with only a few exceptions they have all fallen into line. I highlighted an article which pointed out the main characters who have profited from the lie.

Was he charged for it?

I meant Trump for incitement/insurrection?

Did the Jan 6 board recommend charges?

Was he charged for it?

You can't charge people for telling lies in US politics can you ? Hell there would be no one left in the House.:)
And the wheels haven't stopping turning on whether Trump will face charges out of the Jan 6th insurrection.

One could as politicians and citizens make public denouncements of politicians who spawn the types of lies Donald Trump has done to undermine peoples confidence/respect in the electoral system.

The world doesn't work on black letter L A W. The most powerful force in politics is being called out - particularly by people who would generally support you.

One could as politicians and citizens make public denouncements of politicians who spawn the types of lies Donald Trump has done to undermine peoples confidence/respect in the electoral system.

Mike Pence has publicly slammed Donald Trumps efforts to overthrow the 2020 election results.

Former US vice president Mike Pence publicly jabs Donald Trump over January 6 riot

"I had no right to overturn the election. And his reckless words endangered my family and everyone at the Capitol that day, and I know history will hold Donald Trump accountable.

Mike Pence has publicly slammed Donald Trumps efforts to overthrow the 2020 election results.

Former US vice president Mike Pence publicly jabs Donald Trump over January 6 riot

"I had no right to overturn the election. And his reckless words endangered my family and everyone at the Capitol that day, and I know history will hold Donald Trump accountable.

Pence is a cuck

Came across former Republican Tea Party member Joe Walshs take on Donald Trump. He also had a go at Mike Pence. Said Mike should have been criticizing Trump from Jan 6th onwards and not just coming out now.

Came across former Republican Tea Party member Joe Walshs take on Donald Trump. He also had a go at Mike Pence. Said Mike should have been criticizing Trump from Jan 6th onwards and not just coming out now.

Yes it certainly shows how it is so important to have the attractive persona in politics, that's for sure, you just have to look in our own back yard to see that. Trump had some great ideas, but the ugly personality and ego, became too much to bear.
My thoughts, as to recent Australian leaders:
John Howard, quietly got on with the job, the majority trusted him. Everything became a bit hum drum and boring, so a T.V personality was helicoptered in, to roll him.
Rudd, had it, but it wore thin and then everyone though he was a smug little sod.
Gillard had the public appeal, but IMO couldn't stick to a theme.
Abbott had Australia at heart, but couldn't get a sentence out without a pause and a "ah" or a "um".
Turnbull, frustrated film star that unfortunately chose politics, over "home and away".
Morrison confident, smart, but kept tripping over his ego, should have bowed his head to leigh and the Project and let them have a win in some of the interviews.
Albo the larrikin next door, that everyone thinks is punching above his weight, but at the same time can't understand why he is winning. ?

Yes it certainly shows how it is so important to have the attractive persona in politics, that's for sure, you just have to look in our own back yard to see that. Trump had some great ideas, but the ugly personality and ego, became too much to bear.
My thoughts, as to recent Australian leaders:
John Howard, quietly got on with the job, the majority trusted him. Everything became a bit hum drum and boring, so a T.V personality was helicoptered in, to roll him.
Rudd, had it, but it wore thin and then everyone though he was a smug little sod.
Gillard had the public appeal, but IMO couldn't stick to a theme.
Abbott had Australia at heart, but couldn't get a sentence out without a pause and a "ah" or a "um".
Turnbull, frustrated film star that unfortunately chose politics, over "home and away".
Morrison confident, smart, but kept tripping over his ego, should have bowed his head to leigh and the Project and let them have a win in some of the interviews.
Albo the larrikin next door, that everyone thinks is punching above his weight, but at the same time can't understand why he is winning. ?

Did you view the video SP ? Joe Walsh was not talking about persona. His message was as stark as one could make it.
The Republican Party has been taken over by Donald Trump.
It is now a cult.
They have no position on any policy.
The party is now an authoritarian anti democratic party.

Did you view the video SP ? Joe Walsh was not talking about persona. His message was as stark as one could make it.
It is now a cult.
The Ultra woke democrats aren't a cult?

"What is Trumpism"

"Building a wall and keeping brown people out "

Ummm, actually it's trying to stop illegal immigrants flooding over the border to the detriment of American society.

If I dry-back it in the US and het caught, I'll get my @r5e deported, and I'm a whitefella.

Joe Walsh is an idiot.

It is now a cult.
Did I watch the video, no, why would I waste 5 minutes of my time listening to someone who I don't know give his opinion on someone else I don't know or care about.
Wont the next election sort it out, let's be honest no person on the planet has had as much bad press as Trump, so it should follow that the majority will vote against him.
That is unless the silent majority don't believe the rhetoric.
You say the video wasn't about Trumps persona, then in the next breath you say trump has taken over the Republican Party, if that isn't about persona I don't know what is.
It must be an American thing, because most Australians would find Trump obnoxious, loud and rude, but hey when we become a Republic that might be what Australians become.
Rather than the British trait we currently present, of being polite and usually apologising, rather than confronting. ;)

Wont the next election sort that out, let's be honest no person on the planet has had as much bad press as Trump, so it should follow that the majority will vote against him.
That is unless the silent majority don't believe the rhetoric.
You say the video wasn't about Trumps persona, then in the next breath you say trump has taken over the Republican Party, if that isn't about persona I don't know what is.
It must be an American thing, because most Australians would find Trump obnoxious, loud and rude, but hey when we become a Republic that might be what Australians become.
Rather than the British trait we currently present, of being polite and usually apologising, rather than confronting. ;)
The primaries will be super interesting also, from both sides.

The Dems have nothing but useless Muppets.

If DeSantis has any brains, he will stay out of any affray with the God Emperor. Haley and Pence have no chance.

I personally think DeSantis will make a fine president, but its not his time yet.