Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

TSLA - Tesla Motors Inc (NASDAQ)

You literally missed the rise.
Did this come from an ideological position on Musks politics?
When you originally mentioned it I dove in a bit to see if it was warranted and I came away bullish.
Was it just the numbers didn't stack up with the contract and rabid fan boys voting again?
Your position on Tesla has done a 180 and it feels like the contract isn't as greater deal as musk being a shtball. He was always a shtball.
What turned you from fan to foe?
Do you still like your EV I feel like this is the perfect time to actually get a good honest review from you.

I'm back to swing trades after the top blew off and agree with most of what you are saying. But optimus alone would be a game changer.
I don't agree that there is limited upside.

But the possibility of a fall from here, yes I agree with that. If democrats look like winning I think Tesla will take a hit and languish.
I didn’t miss the rise, it nearly tripled after I bought it and I sold 50% within a few dollars of the peak I think equal to about $500 per share, then I sold the last batch at around $190 so I missed the recent rise, but my real mistake was not selling at $500.

————————-
But as I said I put the cash into Berkshire, which is also up since then, (not that short term movements count for anything when my Berkshire holding is a life time holding)

I have a motto " Dont fall in love with any position " . Serves me well . Ive bought TSLA and ive shorted TSLA , Musk is not the messiah . Enough said
I am pretty much in love with my Berkshire holding. But when a company continually grows is asset base, while growing its cash pile, while also reducing its shares outstanding, for decades what is not to love 🥰.

IMG_2228.jpeg

IMG_2229.jpeg
IMG_2227.png

You literally missed the rise.
Did this come from an ideological position on Musks politics?
When you originally mentioned it I dove in a bit to see if it was warranted and I came away bullish.
Was it just the numbers didn't stack up with the contract and rabid fan boys voting again?
Your position on Tesla has done a 180 and it feels like the contract isn't as greater deal as musk being a shtball. He was always a shtball.
What turned you from fan to foe?
Do you still like your EV I feel like this is the perfect time to actually get a good honest review from you.

I'm back to swing trades after the top blew off and agree with most of what you are saying. But optimus alone would be a game changer.
I don't agree that there is limited upside.

But the possibility of a fall from here, yes I agree with that. If democrats look like winning I think Tesla will take a hit and languish.

Anyone selling between May and June would have lost about $70 - $100 per share, ouch.

Trump pledges to kill EV subsidies, block Chinese cars if he wins US election

Former US President Donald Trump says if he wins the election in November, he plans to end electric vehicle (EV) incentives in the US.

That will hurt the established vehicle manufacturers, a lot. There is no US or European auto manufacturer building a profitable EV at the moment, the Chinese are but they are going to be hit with a huge tariff.

US consumers will start buying more ICEV, but EVs are already established. The manufacturer with the cheapest and most reliable EV will thrive.

Tesla is the only EV manufacturer building profitable models in the US, at competitive prices and they have a cheaper model coming very soon.

I am pretty much in love with my Berkshire holding. But when a company continually grows is asset base, while growing its cash pile, while also reducing its shares outstanding, for decades what is not to love 🥰.

View attachment 181065
View attachment 181066View attachment 181067
I dont want to shatter any love affair so i will refrain on commenting much but old wazzas best days are behind him , he does ok dont get me wrong but has barely beat SPX total return since GFC . He has a heap of cash he churns through treasury bills getting 5% + atm and thats a great thing keeping powder dry for when bargains occur in the blood in the streets times . And this is when he will shine no doubt , he stayed out of tech for way too long imo

I dont want to shatter any love affair so i will refrain on commenting much but old wazzas best days are behind him , he does ok dont get me wrong but has barely beat SPX total return since GFC . He has a heap of cash he churns through treasury bills getting 5% + atm and thats a great thing keeping powder dry for when bargains occur in the blood in the streets times . And this is when he will shine no doubt , he stayed out of tech for way too long imo
Berkshire has beaten the SP500 by about 3.5% per year since the GFC, and that’s while accumulating a huge amount of cash that was only earning 0.5% for the bulk of that time, that’s a pretty decent return.

But Yep, Warren is getting older, and Greg is running the place more and more. But it’s the organic returns produced by their exisiting portfolio, and their share holder friendly management style that puts them in front of Tesla in my opinion.

Even if Berkshire do nothing more in the future except

1, collect the profits from their existing 100% owned businesses,

2, collected dividends from their listed companies while those same companies continued repurchasing shares

3, continued putting as much of that cash collection into repurchasing Berkshire shares consistently

They will be a great place to store and grow capital, and if there is a big crash and Warren or Greg get to deploy a bunch of that cash pile they will be amazing returns, and all the returns will flow through to share holders, not greedy managers.

Last edited:
I didn’t miss the rise, it nearly tripled after I bought it and I sold 50% within a few dollars of the peak I think equal to about $500 per share, then I sold the last batch at around $190 so I missed the recent rise, but my real mistake was not selling at $500.

————————-
But as I said I put the cash into Berkshire, which is also up since then, (not that short term movements count for anything when my Berkshire holding is a life time holding)
It was $350 I sold the bulk of my holding for factoring in the stock split, (I said about $500 because I thought it was a 2 for 1 split, but just remembered it was a 3 for 1)

Berkshire has beaten the SP500 by about 3.5% per year since the GFC, and that’s while accumulating a huge amount of cash that was only earning 0.5% for the bulk of that time, that’s a pretty decent return
This is not really the thread for this but since the GFC low

ScreenShot1062.jpg

tesla shares fell overnight after its earnings were released.
From that bastion of financial reporting The Guardian
Earnings at Tesla almost halved as discounts and price cuts pile pressure on the electric carmaker’s profit margins.

Elon Musk, the company’s CEO, blamed “a bit of a hangover” after rivals cut prices “very substantially, which has made it a bit more difficult for Tesla”.

Tesla has sought to drum up interest in its plans for robotaxis, artificial intelligence and “genuinely useful” humanoid robots as deliveries slipped amid cooling demand.

Production of the carmaker’s next-generation Roadster sports car is scheduled to begin next year, Musk said on a conference call with investors on Tuesday.

He also said he would be “shocked” if Tesla does not introduce “unsupervised” self-driving software by 2025, and claimed that “several thousand” Optimus robots will be deployed in the company’s factories next year, before it starts manufacturing them for wider use.

Its latest results underlined the challenges Tesla has faced in recent months, however. Total sales at the business rose 2% to $25.5bn in the latest quarter, ahead of expectations of $24.8bn on Wall Street. But profits dropped 45% to $1.48bn.

Shares in Tesla dropped 6.9% during out-of-hours trading in New York. “We don’t see this as a long-term issue,” Musk said of discounting in the electric vehicle market, “but really fairly short-term.”
Just goes to prove that old financial 101 saying that if you reduce your sales prices without a comparable reduction in input costs, you lose out on the bottom line.
Mick

tesla shares fell overnight after its earnings were released.
From that bastion of financial reporting The Guardian

Just goes to prove that old financial 101 saying that if you reduce your sales prices without a comparable reduction in input costs, you lose out on the bottom line.
Mick

Yep, only down from here. As the experts keep telling us, time to sell.

1721785929190.png

This is not really the thread for this but since the GFC low

View attachment 181402
that’s not a good way to look at it, Because the SP500 had dropped over 50% to hit that low, where as Berkshire didn’t drop anywhere near that level.

(Also given that Berkshire holds nearly a third of its market value in Bonds in recent years comparing it to an all equities index is not quite the same, and that gives it a big advantage in the next down turn)

—————————

But my main point is simply as I explained Berkshire is a very shareholder friendly compounding machine, it generates strong cash flows, and will use these to buy back shares increasing my ownership interest in the firm, and buy businesses growing the firm.

So in short Berkshire will grow over time, while my stake in it will grow, and there be times when it will rapidly turn its cash into growth.