Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

TSLA - Tesla Motors Inc (NASDAQ)

Who cares ? I ran the story because his website, Electrek, has been a dominant source of information around EVs and the broader industry for almost 10 years. He was also a very strong supporter of Elon Musk and Tesla.

I was pointing to his economic reasoning behind exiting Tesla.
I agree with his thoughts about Musk changing, it’s the reason I have sold almost all of my Tesla shares, I now just hold a token holding of 50 shares plus a few my wife holds.

Not that surprising.. The radical, and disturbing, changes Elon Musk has done politically and to Tesla in the past 3-4 years would have dismayed many, many investors.
Some Tesla Owners are putting stickers on their cars 😅.

IMG_2686.jpeg

IMG_2687.jpeg

Tesla's cybertruck has been in production for year now.
It has had its fifth recall notice.
As vehicles are getting more and more complex, we can expect more and more recalls.
certainly the days of owners of vehicle owners doing their own maintenance are long gone.
From NHTSA
1728092058347.png

Mick

The best quote I've seen today on Elon's latest "Showtime with Elon on Tesla" was from FT.com.

It went along the lines of Elon is sure of the destination but he has no map. In other words one mountain looks just like another when evening draws near. Luckily for Elon it is till mid-morning on EV's, so he may pull it off. He will go down as the world's greatest bullshitter or it's greatest genius. I've held and sold Tesla but would not buy at these prices.

gg

The big problem with the existing Tesla self driving car from an engineering point of view is that it uses cameras only.
It can't work if visibility is poor.

I am designing a project that uses a product that effectively a type of radar.
Tesla’s will need this to be safe. The present driverless cars are too dangerous.

Secondly the car needs better ai. From what I have seen, the system is very primitive.

There will be others developing this. Tesla may not succeed unless they move quicker. I personally think they are on the wrong path. But they could already be trying something different.

Musk has constricted the capital. I reckon it will be someone like Huawei that will be the ones to develop the driverless car.

Last edited:
The big problem with the existing Tesla self driving car from an engineering point of view is that it uses cameras only.

Tesla’s will need this to be safe. The present driverless cars are too dangerous.

Secondly the car needs better ai. From what I have seen, the system is very primitive.

There will be others developing this. Tesla may not succeed unless they move quicker. I personally think they are on the wrong path. But they could already be trying something different.

Musk has constricted the capital. I reckon it will be someone like Huawei that will be the ones to develop the driverless car.
Radars are expensive,well relatively, but they can use laser, or camera with IR sensors..or different length wave.
If you have 2 lasers and matching sensors , you can do nearly everything and adapt the lengthwave to whatever physical environment you want to work with: rain, dust, etc etc

Yeah, adjacent car hitting a mud puddle and splashing the cameras might cause a problem. As would activists with paint bombs.

Yesterday, a dimwit in Tesla forced its way on a pedestrian crossing.
Not being in a vindicative mood, i let itgo but later thought:
maybe i should have thrown a leg in front of the car...
but my trust in the tesla software is still limited and i will let others do the test

Human drivers use only their eyes, which are technically just visual tools in the same way cameras are.

Think about, you drive your exisiting car all the time in various weather and visibility conditions, with no radar or lidar etc etc.

I don’t see a reason cameras couldn’t be better than the human eye, and eventually software running the system be equal to or better than the average human driver.

H
Human drivers use only their eyes, which are technically just visual tools in the same way cameras are.

Think about, you drive your exisiting car all the time in various weather and visibility conditions, with no radar or lidar etc etc.
We shall see. Humans are highly adaptive.

The National Highway Safety Administration (NHTSA) said in documents that it opened the probe on Thursday after the company reported four crashes, including one that killed a pedestrian, after Tesla vehicles entered areas of low visibility including sun glare, fog and airborne dust.

Yesterday, a dimwit in Tesla forced its way on a pedestrian crossing.
Not being in a vindicative mood, i let itgo but later thought:
maybe i should have thrown a leg in front of the car...
but my trust in the tesla software is still limited and i will let others do the test
If you throw a leg in front of the Tesla, it will run that leg over, it’s a myth that a Tesla will just stop if you jump out in front of it.

It will only stop if it is in autopilot and the driver doesn’t have their foot on the accelerator.

If the driver is in control and pressing the accelerator the car will not brake, it will beep and alarm the driver (if they have the setting switched on) but will not auto brake.

after Tesla vehicles entered areas of low visibility including sun glare, fog and airborne dust.
Aren’t those conditions also likely to cause Human drivers to crash at higher rates compared to more ideal conditions?

It seems to me that when ever we have even a little bit of rain human drivers are crashing all over the place.

The ultimate three test is not whether autonomous cars crash at all, but whether they crash more or less often than cars with human drivers.

Something doesn’t have to be perfect to be better, if something is better it’s better. And over time I am guessing the cars will receive more and more updates to software or hardware as the data shows it’s needed, where as human hardware and software takes thousands of years to update in the evolutionary process.

H
We shall see. Humans are highly adaptive.

The National Highway Safety Administration (NHTSA) said in documents that it opened the probe on Thursday after the company reported four crashes, including one that killed a pedestrian, after Tesla vehicles entered areas of low visibility including sun glare, fog and airborne dust.

That is a strange, seeing as that FSD has not been approved for use and drivers must take full responsibility of the vehicle.

Also, the circumstances point to driver error. Tesla has always informed owners that FSD is not approved, and is in the training and learning process. Hands must be on the steering wheel and eyes at front, the software monitors this and will deactivate if not followed.

An agency database says the pedestrian was killed in Rimrock, Arizona, in November of 2023 after being hit by a 2021 Tesla Model Y. Rimrock is about 100 miles (161 kilometers) north of Phoenix.
The Arizona Department of Public Safety said in a statement that the crash happened on Nov. 27 just after 5 p.m. on Interstate 17. Two vehicles collided on the freeway, blocking the left lane. A Toyota 4Runner stopped, and two people got out to help with traffic control. A red Tesla Model Y then hit the 4Runner and one of the people who exited from it. A 71-year-old woman from Mesa, Arizona, was pronounced dead at the scene.
The collision happened because the sun was in the Tesla driver's eyes, so the Tesla driver was not charged, said Raul Garcia, public information officer for the department. Sun glare also was a contributing factor in the first collision, he added.

I didn't read anymore after that.

LIDAR is not perfect, it has trouble in heavy rain, is unable to read signs, and can't be used by AI because it can only detect shapes.

Tesla is moving forward with camera and AI technology because that is how humans drive. We see objects and our brain determines what our actions will be.

LIDAR limits the AI capability, and relies on predetermined programming like road maps.

I haven't kept up with it but one of the big issues around this stuff is speed of the cameras and processing then the action I assume this has reached a level faster or equal to humans.